Lag Compensation counter-measures using simjc74's glorious combo technique

KayOneX-24

Z...i have a question for you my results are the same for 70 % both sliders all the way to 93 % both sliders on reactive...A,A+ and C.

Question is where should I set my sliders,lower end to leave headroom or higher end ? And does it depend on what other things are going on network usage wise in my house ?

Damn man, it's like you were watching me play this morning.   :blink:  :ph34r:

I found almost the exact same thing on my end.  From about 66% up to about 89% I get the same ratings (A, A+, D), if I go beyond 89, I get an "F" for speed.  I always thought I had decent speed, but apparently this is notice there is better internet out there...LOL

Today my most understanding wife is out for the day shopping with mom, so I have the entertainment system AND my game console all in my control.  As I am not streaming anything, I went ahead and went with 89%.

If I play any P2P game with a halfway decent connection (>60ms) I am slaying things in high quantities.  If I get that damn Seattle Dedicated server, I am getting absolutely destroyed. :angry:   It is LITERALLY like I go from playing like normal(doing really well in a public lobby) to getting dropped in a game against 6 of MLG's greatest, with a gun that seems to blow kisses at my opponents.   Side Note:  I am working on a theory with that damn bank, I need to do some more game play research, before I make an ass out of myself).

In any event, this leads me to my PS3 rant (incoming)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL f**king JD making my day.Yeah i'm curious as to your findings and what Z has to say about where we should set the sliders.

And if I didn't have to go rake leaves i'd hop on with you and you could just laugh at me getting waxed on BO2.

Sorry you hate PS3,you gotta figure that mic situation cuz listening to me bitch the whole game is half the fun... :D

My son like's to game a lot and when he's not he's stream gaming vids on youtube etc so as I like to stream and game a lot 70% works out good for us as it always has the headroom at any time of the day.

While one games and the other streams and it works well for bufferbloat so it is win win for me at 70%

Even when I am the only one on the network I use 70% as it works so well when multi users are on the network I might as well use it when I am the lone user.

If 89% works well for somebody then by all means go for what ever works best for you guys.

So I have spent some time on testing it and I finally got to get this results constantly1445723817-U331.jpg

Its sort of not making sense to me Its is recommended to have reactive for My speed but on that algorithm my results are no where near this. Not Pre Preemptive gave me those

I can not take credit for finding this, it was Iain after all :)

Ok didn't know that but you posted it and Iain better be in his dungeon getting that anti-jitter update all done as BO3 is right around the corner... ;)

Ok didn't know that but you posted it and Iain better be in his dungeon getting that anti-jitter update all done as BO3 is right around the corner... ;)

I mean it is Iains congestion control that inevitably does the buffer bloat fix, I just noticed it fixed the bloat :)

Whatever is happening in the house busy or not 96 Up 81 down in CC seems to be my best line pre-empt gives me an A+ line over reactive which is an A and i'm 75 down with BT can't get a bluffer grade result tho but had an +0 ms in test so cant be bad with CC enabled over 100% sliders.

1754924.png

Been struggling to get this thing working for the last two days now, I keep getting the grey circle with the - symbol for bufferbloat.

I have tried emptying cache cookies etc rebooting browser using different browsers and rebooting R1 all to no avail.

Any ideas anybody?

The only other thing i would suggest trying is resetting your modem and router.

I've only had that same error happen once before.

I never figured out the solution.

It just started working again a couple days later.

cheers for the heads up mate, Done that still no difference but just tried settings I had found the other day on bo2, Rest of my team left so me against a full team on tdm for last 4-5 minutes and went 19-17 and only lost by 15 points, lol

Oh how they got some abuse in the after game lobby. lol

cheers for the heads up mate, Done that still no difference but just tried settings I had found the other day on bo2, Rest of my team left so me against a full team on tdm for last 4-5 minutes and went 19-17 and only lost by 15 points, lol

Oh how they got some abuse in the after game lobby. lol

Use ThinkBroadband Speed Test

They test for bufferbloat also but they test bloat on the up and down.

I tried these methods and found the setting with the least buffer bloat on think broadband but my games still seem to be just as random as running with with the sliders set 70/70 for advanced warfare. That said, I still think I get a better run of games if I keep the upload slider set at 15% when first signing in and fetching my profile, then moving it up level to 70 when about to search for my 1st game! Bearing in mind I have upload of less than 2meg.

I want to get me gaming settings optimized especially for Black ops 3 so...

Is it recommended that we use the DSL reports speed test (as it gives 3 grades) over the Think Broadband test?

Because I'm getting 'A' for both on the think broadband test with 70 cc both way which plays good most of the time.

Or is it worth going the extra and test using the DSL reports and getting all 3 tests optimized?

One more thing I saw on here some are getting better results with pre-emptive (even though recommend using reactive with over 50 dl I think). So what are users finding is best?

Thanks dudes

As far as I can tell the CC sliders are for local congestion, ie other devices in your network.

To fix bufferbloat you need to change the numbers in Set Bandwidth.

I have nothing in my local network affecting me so the CC sliders do nothing for me.

I have Comcast which has massive bufferbloat, so I need to lower the download and upload numbers in Set Bandwidth til

I get a good bufferbloat grade.  

I did some good testing over the weekend (and I have a rant coming about that whole experience - Jesus Christ Playstation is your free network a pile of shit!)

I have a cable connection, so I wanted to do some testing with line saturation over the known traffic times.  Saturday morning I was online (having done Zennon's pre-game ritual now) and I was doing pretty well.  About 11:30 or so I did the test again, in-between rage quitting against yet ANOTHER hacked lobby (Fuck the PSN) and noticed that I had gone from (A, A+, C) to (B, A, F). 

Now the wife was streaming some crap from Hulu, but my sliders were at 87 and that has always worked in the past.  Nothing had really changed in the house (she might have been watching a different episode and possibly opening pages on her phone) but nothing was added or significantly changed.

Ran the test again and had to drop down to 81/100 to get back to (A, A+, D).  I wasn't able to get "C" for speed again the rest of the day on Saturday.

I got up pretty early on Sunday, for no good reason I assure you, and had a similar experience.  When the serious NFL games kicked off, my connection ratings dropped like a rock again and I had to redo the settings to get back to optimal.

Now I fear I may have opened Pandora's Box with the constant need to check the settings. I am going to start keeping track of settings and see if they literally vary day to day, or if it's a case of no one (comparatively) on the street network and then that network coming alive with normal traffic.

This to say if you have something like a cable modem or shared bandwidth backbone, this isn't a setting you can optimize one time and forget it.  This will vary greatly with not only the traffic in your house, but also the traffic on your street or in your neighborhood IF you have a shared network.

Research continues....

As far as I can tell the CC sliders are for local congestion, ie other devices in your network.

To fix bufferbloat you need to change the numbers in Set Bandwidth.

I have nothing in my local network affecting me so the CC sliders do nothing for me.

I have Comcast which has massive bufferbloat, so I need to lower the download and upload numbers in Set Bandwidth til

I get a good bufferbloat grade.  

Thanks FQs19

I'm ok with how the sliders work but I was wondering whether I should use the DSL test and go with whatever it was telling me. e.g if the netduma wiki guide says I should use reactive algo but I get better results with the DSL test with pre-emptive do I go with the DSL test? i.e. is the DSL test the gospel/way to go in setting up the netduma.

I guess I'm not sure on whether to settle for what the TBB test is telling me, which is 'A' for both, or to spend more time on using the DSL test and keep tweaking the settings on my duma as there are 3 grade results.  

Thanks FQs19

I'm ok with how the sliders work but I was wondering whether I should use the DSL test and go with whatever it was telling me. e.g if the netduma wiki guide says I should use reactive algo but I get better results with the DSL test with pre-emptive do I go with the DSL test? i.e. is the DSL test the gospel/way to go in setting up the netduma.

I guess I'm not sure on whether to settle for what the TBB test is telling me, which is 'A' for both, or to spend more time on using the DSL test and keep tweaking the settings on my duma as there are 3 grade results.  

I've only gotten an A+ on Bufferbloat once. Never could get it again. 

I would say if you're getting an A for both bufferbloat and quality then just focus on finding a good lobby with the R1. 

Getting an A+ isn't going to make you invincible. 

Just remember that we are doing all this to get the 'Feeling' of a good connection back. 

Numbers and grades mean nothing if the game-play feels off. 

If I can get great hit-detection with a C grade then I'll play with a C forever. 

Archived