Development Diary

Netduma Iain

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of people are asking about .6 whilst thinking the features in .5 will also include jitter/latency dampening.

That is a good point.  Will jitter/latency dampening be 1.03.6 or 1.04 or 2.00?

Thanks, honestly there are bugs we're trying to fix. That literally means its not working correctly so you don't want that. Sorry but that's how software development goes unfortunately. 

The turbo mode is a huge change in the functionality and so is the new QoS. So I've kept them isolated as I don't want the bugs to merge between the two. Coming as soon as it's done Kevo et al. 

THIS would be straight from the developers mouth... and public record. Iain is doing a bang up job getting on the bugs too!

That is a good point.  Will jitter/latency dampening be 1.03.6 or 1.04 or 2.00?

I can't tell Netduma how to do their job (lol but watch me make it look like I can) but think it wouldn't hurt if the 2.00 firmware was one that overhauls the UI perhaps, like a slap of new paint over everything, whilst I have no doubt the anti-jitter/latency dampening will be a MASSIVE addition, it's not exactly an overhaul.

/runs

would love to see the minor update 1.03.5 released next friday the 9th but no rush at all aint the type to rush anyone

as where I live everything is starting to get a lot colder lol anyways sure i'll be satisfied either way when ever

the firmware is released  ;)  :ph34r:

Thanks, honestly there are bugs we're trying to fix. That literally means its not working correctly so you don't want that. Sorry but that's how software development goes unfortunately. 

The turbo mode is a huge change in the functionality and so is the new QoS. So I've kept them isolated as I don't want the bugs to merge between the two. Coming as soon as it's done Kevo et al. 

im being patience im just ready to kick some major butt online lol

• Administrators

Working hard to get it out soon.

Legit changing the gui is far simpler task. Turbo mode and the new qos are mammoth tasks it's unfortunate you can't visualise it but they are much more difficult and will have more impact on your gaming hopefully.

Will the 'anti-jitter' help with large spikes received in game from bad hosts? (most games are 15ms ping for me with 60ms spikes during combat haha) or am I completely off with it? Can someone explain in laman's terms why they are so excited for the new feature?

Will the 'anti-jitter' help with large spikes received in game from bad hosts? (most games are 15ms ping for me with 60ms spikes during combat haha) or am I completely off with it? Can someone explain in laman's terms why they are so excited for the new feature?

No the anti spike cannot help spikes from a host nothing can be done about that, the exciting thing is this will stop anything making your connection spike/jitter. So your connection will be the absolute best it can be all the time which will help Hugely with connection! Jitter is in my oppinion one of the main causes for lag comp messing up, having your ping stable at all times will enable the netcode to work well because your ping time will not change and things can be rewinded (lag comp) a lot more precise. I may be a little wrong but what I have learnt and witnessed myself this is pretty much the answer to your question :).

I just know even with anti flood I get small spikes here and there and its enough to get me a death when I shouldn't of!

Whilst Pro innocence has answered this question perfectly, I wanted to add that the firmware being discussed for release soon is not to enable anti-jitter, ping/dampening, but to allow Turbo mode (speed increase) for those with 150Mbps and above connections amongst some minor changes.

No the anti spike cannot help spikes from a host nothing can be done about that, the exciting thing is this will stop anything making your connection spike/jitter. So your connection will be the absolute best it can be all the time which will help Hugely with connection! Jitter is in my oppinion one of the main causes for lag comp messing up, having your ping stable at all times will enable the netcode to work well because your ping time will not change and things can be rewinded (lag comp) a lot more precise. I may be a little wrong but what I have learnt and witnessed myself this is pretty much the answer to your question :).

I just know even with anti flood I get small spikes here and there and its enough to get me a death when I shouldn't of!

Thanks a lot for the answer Pro! That definitely sounds amazing! I feel spoilt with the netduma after the terrible games I had before it so anything that increases its effectiveness is an incredible win in my books. Happy to wait for all kinks to be well an truly sorted before release, I've had enough of software being released unfinished and buggy as hell.

Why am I starting to feel inadequate with my 60mbps connection? Fastest offered in my ate a is 100mbps which I used to have but realistically could never attain realistically.

It's not the size of your connection but how you use it ;)

Devs please update on how things are going. Ty

I know that I'm not a dev but, last tweet I read from Iain (working on firmware) was they are wanting to make the firmware as robust as possible as they want the Turbo mode to last 5 years and/or beyond. The new firmware (1.03.5) will enable Turbo mode enabling speeds of up to approx 900Mbps (for those who can achieve those speeds).

​It's in beta, meaning it is being tested but last I read there was tweaking needed and Iain is working on that and will release his fixes to the beta testers and if everything is fine after that, then it'll be released shortly for all to benefit from.

​It should be noted that Netduma have been working on this .5 firmware for over a week, there were earlier beta versions of .5 but they caused the beta testers some big issues, which is why Netduma hadn't released it for everybody.

Archived