xr 1000 Router stops working every 2 days

So i just bought this router last week, and the only issue im having so far is that every 2 days it just stops working, no internet via wifi, no internet via wired, its very weird, like i was literally using it 20 minutes ago, i go outside come and and boom, no internet, i do the reboot on my phone and it still has no internet, but says i have connected on my phone, then turning the power on and off via the router, it seemed to work. Last time i had to factory reset the router to be able to actually login to the router to change QoS settings due to the password i put in simply not working. I really hope i dont need to go in and reboot my router every 2 days then reset all the passwords etc, im on the newest firmware. cheers

3 hours ago, jaydens said:

So i just bought this router last week, and the only issue im having so far is that every 2 days it just stops working, no internet via wifi, no internet via wired, its very weird, like i was literally using it 20 minutes ago, i go outside come and and boom, no internet, i do the reboot on my phone and it still has no internet, but says i have connected on my phone, then turning the power on and off via the router, it seemed to work. Last time i had to factory reset the router to be able to actually login to the router to change QoS settings due to the password i put in simply not working. I really hope i dont need to go in and reboot my router every 2 days then reset all the passwords etc, im on the newest firmware. cheers

Sorry to hear this, when the connection has dropped, does rebooting the XR1000 bring the connection back up? You definitely shouldn't need to factory reset it.

Could you perhaps try changing the DHCP pool to start from .50, then reserve IP addresses for each device on the network from .2 to .49?

Let me know if that helps with the issue?

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sorry to hear this, when the connection has dropped, does rebooting the XR1000 bring the connection back up? You definitely shouldn't need to factory reset it.

Could you perhaps try changing the DHCP pool to start from .50, then reserve IP addresses for each device on the network from .2 to .49?

Rebooting does make the connection come back, And would you have a topic on how i can find the DHCP pool in the router, had a little look and cant find it, cheers

10 hours ago, jaydens said:

Rebooting does make the connection come back, And would you have a topic on how i can find the DHCP pool in the router, had a little look and cant find it, cheers

You should be able to find this in Settings > Setup > LAN Setup.

43 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

You should be able to find this in Settings > Setup > LAN Setup.

Thanks, also just notice, now the router seems to randomly be restarting many times a day now, Seems to be rebooting every few hours. Haven't notice a internet cut when using it though. And this is without changing the DHCP yet

On 1/24/2022 at 11:38 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Also none of the reserve IP's have a .2 

19 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Thanks, also just notice, now the router seems to randomly be restarting many times a day now, Seems to be rebooting every few hours. Haven't notice a internet cut when using it though. And this is without changing the DHCP yet

That sounds as though it may be the same problem, though let us know if it persists after changing DHCP.

8 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Also none of the reserve IP's have a .2 

You can give them whatever IP you want, just ensure it's between 2-49.

This issue has been around since march last year on all XR models. DHCP just stops responding and no Ip leases are releasing to devices. Only way to get it back is to restart the router. I have been waiting for this to be fixed since march last year. no joy yet.

4 hours ago, Dialatech said:

This issue has been around since march last year on all XR models. DHCP just stops responding and no Ip leases are releasing to devices. Only way to get it back is to restart the router. I have been waiting for this to be fixed since march last year. no joy yet.

I second this. Same problem I had on my xr300. I’ve stopped using it now and I’ve gone back to my isp router which is working perfectly. 

10 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

That sounds as though it may be the same problem, though let us know if it persists after changing DHCP.

You can give them whatever IP you want, just ensure it's between 2-49.

Ive done this, and since ive gotten off last night, its rebooted about 6 times in 14 hours... very weird, it was not doing this for the first week i had the router.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Ive done this, and since ive gotten off last night, its rebooted about 6 times in 14 hours... very weird, it was not doing this for the first week i had the router.

If it's rebooting it could be due to power, have you got it plugged into an extender? If so can you plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if it stops? If it doesn't do you have another power adapter with the same voltage you can test in the router?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If it's rebooting it could be due to power, have you got it plugged into an extender? If so can you plug it directly into a wall outlet and see if it stops? If it doesn't do you have another power adapter with the same voltage you can test in the router?

Its plugged into the wall, and no its connected to our modem and it can only reach so far

12 hours ago, adam01625 said:

I second this. Same problem I had on my xr300. I’ve stopped using it now and I’ve gone back to my isp router which is working perfectly. 

The sad fact is that even a ISP Router or the 30 pound router im using currently has the one key feature working flawlessly but a 250 pound XR500 or 150 pound XR300 pound router fails in that department. DHCP one of the key features of any router and Netgear just seem to not dont care about there customers.

11 hours ago, jaydens said:

Its plugged into the wall, and no its connected to our modem and it can only reach so far

It does sound more like a power problem if it's rebooting. Are you certain it's rebooting? What is indicating this, the lights on the front?

16 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

It does sound more like a power problem if it's rebooting. Are you certain it's rebooting? What is indicating this, the lights on the front?

Yes, as the IP changes and it never says the uptime is past 24 hours, its always 3-4 hours everytime i check
-Edit It's just happen again while i was on discord and i checked the router and all the lights went red then turned back on and now it says uptime is
Uptime 4 minutes 0 seconds
It actually is connected with an extender as it wont reach the power point without it and i cant place it anywhere else due to needing to be connected to the modem

11 hours ago, jaydens said:

Yes, as the IP changes and it never says the uptime is past 24 hours, its always 3-4 hours everytime i check
-Edit It's just happen again while i was on discord and i checked the router and all the lights went red then turned back on and now it says uptime is
Uptime 4 minutes 0 seconds
It actually is connected with an extender as it wont reach the power point without it and i cant place it anywhere else due to needing to be connected to the modem

What's the make and model of the modem that the XR1000 is connected to? Is it a router/modem combo or is it a pure modem?

I had this problem happen just once shortly after I bought the XR1000.

I actually put it down to me fiddling with the settings and then NOT rebooting the router. I don't know what the admins have to say about this, but ever since that day I have always rebooted the router when changing settings. It's never happened again.

21 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

From what I can find it does have wireless is that correct? Have you put the XR in its DMZ and set a static IP for it?

the modem its self? no it does not have wireless, its connected to the nbnco fixed wireless box on our roof, i have to be plugged into the modem to get internet connection

• Administrators

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'd suggest reupgrading the firmware using the TFTP method, this bypasses the boot process and any issues there then once done do a factory reset for the freshest install possible: https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

Will try it tonight, thanks mate!

On 1/30/2022 at 1:15 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

still appears to happen, i just woke up opened YouTube got 30 seconds into a video and boom, no internet, and now QoS also doesnt show up on dumaOS, it gives me a error
"Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token"

12 hours ago, jaydens said:

still appears to happen, i just woke up opened YouTube got 30 seconds into a video and boom, no internet, and now QoS also doesnt show up on dumaOS, it gives me a error
"Uncaught SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token"

Did you factory reset after the upgrade as Fraser mentioned? That usually alleviates errors like this.

On 1/24/2022 at 10:28 AM, jaydens said:

all XR routers have these problems with DHCP, I would not expect a repair, the same for a year or two, already two months in the closet my xr500 everyone is happy at home and I have very good pings without 3.0 software