xr 1000 Router stops working every 2 days

On 3/8/2022 at 10:14 PM, Netduma Liam said:

OK, I'd suggest reaching out to your ISP to see if you can get that resolved. That would be the next logical troubleshooting step to identify where the problem lies. Otherwise you could also reach out to NETGEAR support at support.netgear.com, depending on where you are in your warranty period you may be able to request an RMA, but I'm not sure on that.

well ive had it for about 2 weeks now, so id hope its still in warranty haha, ill try to contact themĀ 

On 3/9/2022 at 12:21 AM, oRaGaMi said:

Sounds like the modem was faulty or became faulty either way sounds like a power issue.

I agree, its happen since i got it, just randomly reboots whenever it wants, like for example, it literally just happen after about 23 hours of uptime, defo be contacting support for a RMA

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, jaydens said:

so ive requested a RMA on my current netgear router, and ive just been looking at stuff, i have no idea if this is normal or not but when watching the network logs it looks like this
https://gyazo.com/b37ea94f063690ec394d804e3319fd05
just wondering if it spiking down to 300kb/s is normal

It really depends on what was going on on the network at the time. A lot of streaming protocols will do things in bursts so that could be what you're seeing there.Ā 

• 5 weeks later...

Update, I got my RMA last week and Iā€™m glad to say itā€™s been 5 days and no reboot! really happy I actually decided to RMA, letā€™s hope this one doesnā€™t start to have the issue haha, only other thing Iā€™m struggling with at the moment is poor range, I think I enabled a wifi setting on the old xr1000 that made it significantly better, router is quite far away, on the other side of the house actually, but I think I need to just adjust the antennas correctly!

• Administrators

Great to hear it's behaving better for you!

Here are a few suggestions for WiFi:

1. Use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that
  2. Ensure it's in an elevated position - not on a metal surface
  3. Ensure there aren't any electrical / wireless devices e.g headphones etc within close proxity ~3 feet if possible
  4. Set the antennae to this position _ | | _
  5. Change mode for 5GHz to 2400Mbps

• 2 weeks later...

So im currectly having an issue with the QoS tab, for about 2 days no matter if i reboot it gives me this error while loading the page, and QoS is literally the ONLY reason i bought this router, and now it just completely stopped working...Ā 
This actually looks like this router is going the same exact way the old one did, it started giving me errors then after about a week it started rebooting, i swear if this one also starts rebooting.... ill lose my mind
https://gyazo.com/7ac7d9ef68c76e025152c09b6b87b9f5
This only happens in the QoS tab and it happens instantly when loading the QoS tab
It also gives me the same error on the DUMA ios app, and tells me i should restart dumaosĀ immediatelyĀ 
RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': ?:0: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'normprop' (a nil value) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'normalize_nodes' ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'canonical' ?: in function <?:212> ?: in function <?:382> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:346> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:413> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:263> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in main chunk [C]: ?

Any ideas on how to fix it would be great. thanks
Also my firmware is still 10.58 as im scared to upgrade to 64 as i dont want the router to start rebooting again lol.

5 hours ago, jaydens said:

So im currectly having an issue with the QoS tab, for about 2 days no matter if i reboot it gives me this error while loading the page, and QoS is literally the ONLY reason i bought this router, and now it just completely stopped working...Ā 
This actually looks like this router is going the same exact way the old one did, it started giving me errors then after about a week it started rebooting, i swear if this one also starts rebooting.... ill lose my mind
https://gyazo.com/7ac7d9ef68c76e025152c09b6b87b9f5
This only happens in the QoS tab and it happens instantly when loading the QoS tab
It also gives me the same error on the DUMA ios app, and tells me i should restart dumaosĀ immediatelyĀ 
RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': ?:0: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'normprop' (a nil value) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'normalize_nodes' ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'canonical' ?: in function <?:212> ?: in function <?:382> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:346> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:413> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:263> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in main chunk [C]: ?

Any ideas on how to fix it would be great. thanks
Also my firmware is still 10.58 as im scared to upgrade to 64 as i dont want the router to start rebooting again lol.

When you installed the new router, did it auto-update to the latest firmware? If so, did you factory reset it after it did so? If not, I'd suggest doing so as it may have been quite a large update jump depending on what it had installed before.

28 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

When you installed the new router, did it auto-update to the latest firmware? If so, did you factory reset it after it did so? If not, I'd suggest doing so as it may have been quite a large update jump depending on what it had installed before.

Yes i believe it updated to 10.58 then 10.64 came out a few days later, i didnt upgrade to that yet, should i upgrade then factory reset via the interface? also are there any risks that doing a upgrade then resetting could cause the router to start acting up and breaking its self again?

46 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Yes i believe it updated to 10.58 then 10.64 came out a few days later, i didnt upgrade to that yet, should i upgrade then factory reset via the interface? also are there any risks that doing a upgrade then resetting could cause the router to start acting up and breaking its self again?

No, there shouldn't be any risk with upgrading to the latest firmware then factory resetting.

However, I asked you this because the upgrade from whatever firmware it shipped with to the one you're on now might've been quite a big jump, so it'd a good idea to factory reset to ensure no errors are carried over from the last firmware.

Try this before upgrading to the latest firmware and see if that resolves the issue first.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

No, there shouldn't be any risk with upgrading to the latest firmware then factory resetting.

However, I asked you this because the upgrade from whatever firmware it shipped with to the one you're on now might've been quite a big jump, so it'd a good idea to factory reset to ensure no errors are carried over from the last firmware.

Try this before upgrading to the latest firmware and see if that resolves the issue first.

Ive done this, but the netgear app forced me to update the router after factory resetting it, QoS is working again, but it says my PC is offline, and it now seems my cpus are working pretty hard, they used to max around 60, now they are pegged near 80-100 consistentlyĀ 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Ive done this, but the netgear app forced me to update the router after factory resetting it, QoS is working again, but it says my PC is offline, and it now seems my cpus are working pretty hard, they used to max around 60, now they are pegged near 80-100 consistentlyĀ 

Give the router a reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes then both those issues should be resolved

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Give the router a reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes then both those issues should be resolved

Worked perfectly! everything is working and loading VERY fast, now lets PRAY this thing doesnt start rebooting after the update! will keep you guys updated, thanks again boys

update, so it seems even though i have QoS enabled and it doesnt matter what i pick on the slider im still spiking in ping, and the old router when having this enabled i would only spike 3-6 ping MAX, but for some reason still spiking 30-40+ ping, no idea why its doing this, ive rebooted it many times yet it still is acting as if QoS is doing nothing, sometimes it randomly actually stops working all together, all devices are uncapped and then i have to reboot for it to then again cap the limit to whatever i set it to, really weird stuff going on

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jaydens said:

update, so it seems even though i have QoS enabled and it doesnt matter what i pick on the slider im still spiking in ping, and the old router when having this enabled i would only spike 3-6 ping MAX, but for some reason still spiking 30-40+ ping, no idea why its doing this, ive rebooted it many times yet it still is acting as if QoS is doing nothing, sometimes it randomly actually stops working all together, all devices are uncapped and then i have to reboot for it to then again cap the limit to whatever i set it to, really weird stuff going on

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please? Are you using IPv6, PPPoE, DHCP identifiers or VLAN?

Where are you measuring the spike in ping exactly?

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of your QoS page please? Are you using IPv6, PPPoE, DHCP identifiers or VLAN?

Where are you measuring the spike in ping exactly?

c72412c3b2540b7671035df1e7d5f801.png
https://gyazo.com/c72412c3b2540b7671035df1e7d5f801
Pretty sure its DHCP
and im measuring via ingame ping, as i play FPS shooters such as CSGO, Valorant etc that are highly dependent on stable ping, even spiking 6 ping will make you stutter, also tested it on ping tests sites and via the dumaos connection test and its super spikey, but thats somewhat normal for me as im on fixed wireless nbn, its more the spikes that are 20+ ms, if it spikes 6 or so every now and then its whatever, but last match i played it was -80-120 every few seconds.

-edit and yes i know its set to never, i do that once i stop playing to make sure its not capped

• Administrators

What are your paid for/expected speeds? What firmware version are you on? What is your physical setup - the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Are ALL devices connected to the XR?

expected speeds are 50 down 10 up, but its normally 20-30 down 3-6 up
firmware 10.64
and the modem is the base telstra fixed wireless one, if u scroll up you can see photos of it, and yes ALL devices are connected to the XR

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, jaydens said:

expected speeds are 50 down 10 up, but its normally 20-30 down 3-6 up
firmware 10.64
and the modem is the base telstra fixed wireless one, if u scroll up you can see photos of it, and yes ALL devices are connected to the XR

Saturate your connection with downloads, streams etc while following this guide and experiment with different percentages set to Always, does it impact the ping and can you find a level where it is as stable as possible?Ā http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Forgive me for wandering in to a conversation half way through.

A dish on the roof?

WHERE is the XR1000?

The reason I ask is I remember a situation many years ago where I had a cordless landline phone sat close to a satellite receiver ( with a dish on the roof! )Ā  and they constantly interfered with each other. I had to separate them by some three feet to stop the mess. I notice that you also have a tp-link sat right there too. Is it possible that what is going on here is one or more devices are just interfering with each other?

Also I recently discovered that congestion control doesn't seem to work in uploading so I would expect your ping may well be peaking because of upload issues.

3 hours ago, Harley said:

Forgive me for wandering in to a conversation half way through.

A dish on the roof?

WHERE is the XR1000?

The reason I ask is I remember a situation many years ago where I had a cordless landline phone sat close to a satellite receiver ( with a dish on the roof! )Ā  and they constantly interfered with each other. I had to separate them by some three feet to stop the mess. I notice that you also have a tp-link sat right there too. Is it possible that what is going on here is one or more devices are just interfering with each other?

Also I recently discovered that congestion control doesn't seem to work in uploading so I would expect your ping may well be peaking because of upload issues.

congestion control is working with upload and download for me, it seems to have just fixed its self, ping is somewhat stable now, only issue im having is poor signal, ive moved my router to a higher spot in my house, dead smack in the middle of the house, but for some reason its still only gets 1 to 2 bars of signal on our iphones,Also another WEIRD issue is whenever we have our mobile data enabled the wifi loves to just disconnect until we go into settings and click connect again then it will do it again after like 5 minutes, only way to stop it from disconnecting is to turn off mobile data. back to the router, it's only 20 meters away MAX, not sure why its got such poor signal, no walls are blocking it and nothing is near it besides a fridgeĀ on the other side of the wall behind the router, the routersĀ antennae'sĀ are set to this position _ | | _

On 5/9/2022 at 12:38 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Saturate your connection with downloads, streams etc while following this guide and experiment with different percentages set to Always, does it impact the ping and can you find a level where it is as stable as possible?Ā http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

congestion control is working with upload and download for me, it seems to have just fixed its self, ping is somewhat stable now, only issue im having is poor signal, ive moved my router to a higher spot in my house, dead smack in the middle of the house, but for some reason its still only gets 1 to 2 bars of signal on our iphones,Also another WEIRD issue is whenever we have our mobile data enabled the wifi loves to just disconnect until we go into settings and click connect again then it will do it again after like 5 minutes, only way to stop it from disconnecting is to turn off mobile data. back to the router, it's only 20 meters away MAX, not sure why its got such poor signal, no walls are blocking it and nothing is near it besides a fridgeĀ on the other side of the wall behind the router, the routersĀ antennae'sĀ are set to this position _ | | _

Ā 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, jaydens said:

Ā 

I believe there is an option on your phone that will switch to data if the WiFi signal isn't strong enough so that's probably what is happening there, if you disable that it should stay connected to WiFi. Have you used a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I believe there is an option on your phone that will switch to data if the WiFi signal isn't strong enough so that's probably what is happening there, if you disable that it should stay connected to WiFi. Have you used a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that?

Ive tried to find a Wi-Fi analyzer on the App Store but all have them donā€™t work or are just a fake app, any recommendations for what to download?

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, jaydens said:

Ive tried to find a Wi-Fi analyzer on the App Store but all have them donā€™t work or are just a fake app, any recommendations for what to download?

If you have a Windows PC, you can take a look at the Microsoft Store and they have a free one called WiFi AnalyzerĀ