xr 1000 Router stops working every 2 days

On 2/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, raf1212 said:

all XR routers have these problems with DHCP, I would not expect a repair, the same for a year or two, already two months in the closet my xr500 everyone is happy at home and I have very good pings without 3.0 software

My XR500 has been sitting in my draw since march last year.. Still no fix...I'm using a 30 pound router atm and its working better then the XR500

redone steps, and its STILL randomly just rebooting the router, mid game just got kicked out and had to wait 5 minutes for the thing to reboot, this makes NO sense

Im actually starting to get pretty annoyed about this, this happens way to often
-edit ITS JUST HAPPEN AGAIN!! 3 TIMES IN 1 HOUR!! 

7 hours ago, jaydens said:

redone steps, and its STILL randomly just rebooting the router, mid game just got kicked out and had to wait 5 minutes for the thing to reboot, this makes NO sense

Im actually starting to get pretty annoyed about this, this happens way to often
-edit ITS JUST HAPPEN AGAIN!! 3 TIMES IN 1 HOUR!! 

Since factory resetting, have you re-configured the reserved IPs as you did previously? If not, could you please do that.

Out of interest, what's the make and model of your ISP modem? Is it a modem/router (Wi-Fi) or is it a pure modem? If it's a modem/router, could you please try temporarily switching the XR1000 to AP mode from the Network settings and see if the problem persists?

On 2/10/2022 at 10:50 PM, Netduma Liam said:

Since factory resetting, have you re-configured the reserved IPs as you did previously? If not, could you please do that.

Out of interest, what's the make and model of your ISP modem? Is it a modem/router (Wi-Fi) or is it a pure modem? If it's a modem/router, could you please try temporarily switching the XR1000 to AP mode from the Network settings and see if the problem persists?

I did not re-configure the reserved IP, also its a pure modem, its connected to the wall and then is connected to the dish on the roof, i cant find any info about what it is besides this photo, also the modem did come with a telstra smart modem and im pretty sure thats a router/modem, it never turned off/rebooted

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

nbn-fix_orig.jpg

On 2/12/2022 at 12:32 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you use the Telstra modem/router and then the XR behind that do you still get the issue?

Sorry not to sure what you mean by behind it, like as in both plugged in at once? or one plugged in then plug in the XR after it, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ive now been PUSHED OVER THE LIMIT, ive simply accepted that the router is turning off, but i just LOST A 12000$ MATCH DUE TO THE ROUTER TURNING OFF 3 TIMES IN 1 MATCH, i can NOT believe what just happen, im actually so f$%king outraged right now, I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ITS DOING THIS? IVE DONE EVERYTHIING TO FIX THIS BLOODY THING, YET IT KEEPS JUST TURNING OFF WHENEVER IT WANTS! i simply CAN NOT believe what has just happen to me due to this router

This router has just ruined everything ive worked for over the past 6 months, i can not fucking believe what has just happen 
whenever WHATEVER the hell happens, everyones internet is simply GONE, because the router is fully just REBOOTING like its just been turned off and on, i check and the top of the router is red and then it starts booting up, this takes 5 minutes each time it happens, and the reboot happens RANDOMLY, but NEVER lasts over 2 days without rebooting, the max ive seen is 2 days 21 hours, then other times it can reboot 3 times in ONE HOUR! like it has JUST done to me, at an extremally important time, for N O R E A S O N, im honestly thinking of getting a refund, because after what JUST happen, there is simply no way i could ever respect this router again  

On 2/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

So use the Telstra modem and then connect the XR to that so the XR gets internet from the Telstra and see if it makes a difference

also no, this did not work, i can only plug 1 device in at once for internet

2 hours ago, jaydens said:

This router has just ruined everything ive worked for over the past 6 months, i can not fucking believe what has just happen 
whenever WHATEVER the hell happens, everyones internet is simply GONE, because the router is fully just REBOOTING like its just been turned off and on, i check and the top of the router is red and then it starts booting up, this takes 5 minutes each time it happens, and the reboot happens RANDOMLY, but NEVER lasts over 2 days without rebooting, the max ive seen is 2 days 21 hours, then other times it can reboot 3 times in ONE HOUR! like it has JUST done to me, at an extremally important time, for N O R E A S O N, im honestly thinking of getting a refund, because after what JUST happen, there is simply no way i could ever respect this router again  

Sorry to hear this, we'll gladly continue to troubleshoot the issue with you but can also understand if you'd rather take up the issue directly with NETGEAR. You can do this by going to support.netgear.com

also no, this did not work, i can only plug 1 device in at once for internet

Yes so plug the Telstra modem in here, then plug the XR1000 into one of the LAN ports on the Telstra modem. 

If you're seeing issues with Double NAT, you may need to put the WAN IP of the XR1000 in the Telstra DMZ. Let us know if you're still having issues after this.

13 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sorry to hear this, we'll gladly continue to troubleshoot the issue with you but can also understand if you'd rather take up the issue directly with NETGEAR. You can do this by going to support.netgear.com

Yes so plug the Telstra modem in here, then plug the XR1000 into one of the LAN ports on the Telstra modem. 

If you're seeing issues with Double NAT, you may need to put the WAN IP of the XR1000 in the Telstra DMZ. Let us know if you're still having issues after this.

I tried this but i do get any internet through either the modem at that point, i think it just breaks it, if i only plug in the telstra box it works, if i only plug in the xr1000 it works, but both plugged in it just spazzes out 

8 hours ago, jaydens said:

I tried this but i do get any internet through either the modem at that point, i think it just breaks it, if i only plug in the telstra box it works, if i only plug in the xr1000 it works, but both plugged in it just spazzes out 

Is the ethernet cable connecting the XR to the Telstra modem connected from the WAN port on the XR to one of the LAN ports on the Telstra? Your setup should look like this:

Modem LAN port -> Telstra WAN Telstra LAN -> XR WAN XR LAN -> Connected devices

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Is the ethernet cable connecting the XR to the Telstra modem connected from the WAN port on the XR to one of the LAN ports on the Telstra? Your setup should look like this:

Modem LAN port -> Telstra WAN Telstra LAN -> XR WAN XR LAN -> Connected devices

Yep thats how i did it, i dont believe the telstra modem lets it work

• Administrators

Keep it in that configuration then reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the Telstra, wait 2 minutes then reboot the XR wait 2 minutes and see if you get internet. Sometimes the order in which they are booted matters

On 3/4/2022 at 2:17 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Keep it in that configuration then reboot the modem, wait 2 minutes, then reboot the Telstra, wait 2 minutes then reboot the XR wait 2 minutes and see if you get internet. Sometimes the order in which they are booted matters

Tried this last night and it doesnt give NAT on both, i dont think the telstra modem acts as an actual modem, so it just thinks im plugging in 2 routers. Ive now tried to plug the XR1000 directly into the wall socket instead of a very short extender, took alot of moving stuff around to get me to plug it into the wall, so lets hope this works 
-Edit, plugging into the socket did NOT work... just rebooted again for no reason, so it lasted about 6 hours before deciding to reboot, is there a way i can log what happens JUST before it decides to do whatever the hell its doing?

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you mean by it's not giving NAT on both? Do you have another power adapter with the same voltage that you can use instead to rule out a faulty adapter?

Yes i can try using the extender from the other side of the house to see if it still does it, will update later.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:36 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

What do you mean by it's not giving NAT on both? Do you have another power adapter with the same voltage that you can use instead to rule out a faulty adapter?

Update, it 100% is not a power issue, as ive tested it on 3 sockets and it still reboots randomly, ive also done the reinstall of the firmware, we have tried using 2 routers at once, we have tried factory resetting, what else is there? im so lost as of why the router is doing this

Update, it 100% is not a power issue, as ive tested it on 3 sockets and it still reboots randomly, ive also done the reinstall of the firmware, we have tried using 2 routers at once, we have tried factory resetting, what else is there? im so lost as of why the router is doing this

Presumably the Telstra modem also handle routing functionality? I'd still suggest trying setting the XR1000 to AP mode so we can see if it's something in DumaOS that's causing the disconnections.

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Presumably the Telstra modem also handle routing functionality? I'd still suggest trying setting the XR1000 to AP mode so we can see if it's something in DumaOS that's causing the disconnections.

I will put it in AP mode.

16 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

So the telstra modem has actually decided to stop working, i got no idea why but it wont power on at all, i read online apparently this is common with the gen 2 and is actually bricked, so i guess i cant try to use that, what else can we do?

6 hours ago, jaydens said:

So the telstra modem has actually decided to stop working, i got no idea why but it wont power on at all, i read online apparently this is common with the gen 2 and is actually bricked, so i guess i cant try to use that, what else can we do?

OK, I'd suggest reaching out to your ISP to see if you can get that resolved. That would be the next logical troubleshooting step to identify where the problem lies. Otherwise you could also reach out to NETGEAR support at support.netgear.com, depending on where you are in your warranty period you may be able to request an RMA, but I'm not sure on that.