What determines hit detection?

Killerelite06

I though it was latency but my ping to the servers is 3ms (Johannesburg) and 21ms (Cape Town) respectively. I throttled my connection to 2.5/1.5 and for a few games it felt responsive with great hit detection before returning to the delayed feeling.

What determines how many and well the bullets connect ? Does speed have a effect or was it placebo effect (I think it fools the lag comp system) ? 

Side note: South Africa is a very mixed space when it comes to connection. Some have fibre with low ping and up to 10Gbps where others have LTE and ADSL or use their mobile hotspot 
Can that have a effect on how well the game performs ? 

If you're ping is that low, it may be that you're the victim of lag compensation. What's it like if you play on a server around 30-40ms?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of factors at play when it comes to hit registration, and it's also something that's really hard to measure given that you could simply just be missing your target.

Your last point could certainly be a factor, if there are 150 people in a game with pings ranging from 2ms - 100ms (for example), the game has to do something to balance that out. Meaning those with a lower ping suffer a little.

4 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

If you're ping is that low, it may be that you're the victim of lag compensation. What's it like if you play on a server around 30-40ms?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of factors at play when it comes to hit registration, and it's also something that's really hard to measure given that you could simply just be missing your target.

Your last point could certainly be a factor, if there are 150 people in a game with pings ranging from 2ms - 100ms (for example), the game has to do something to balance that out. Meaning those with a lower ping suffer a little.

I have two options the 3ms one and 21ms server then after that it’s the London based one which is 168ms. I would love a way to artificially add latency (like a slider that adds latency) .

14 minutes ago, Killerelite06 said:

I have two options the 3ms one and 21ms server then after that it’s the London based one which is 168ms. I would love a way to artificially add latency (like a slider that adds latency) .

Might be a tad hard to do that but what some do is limit their bandwidth using the congestion control. Worth experimenting with to see if that makes a difference. 

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

3ms is like LAN quality so you must be literally on top of the server so you should have the advantage over most. You could reduce QoS and run a streaming video or download while playing to increase latency but I wouldn't advise it

What Fraser said.. you're rarely if ever going to go up against someone with the same ping as you unless theyre on the same kind of set up as you. You should consider yourself lucky I would say anything under 30 MS is very very lucky. Dont forget that CoD servers are some of the worst there can be sometimes so no matter how good of ping you have it wont matter. 

On 10/18/2021 at 1:49 AM, Killerelite06 said:

I though it was latency but my ping to the servers is 3ms (Johannesburg) and 21ms (Cape Town) respectively. I throttled my connection to 2.5/1.5 and for a few games it felt responsive with great hit detection before returning to the delayed feeling.

What determines how many and well the bullets connect ? Does speed have a effect or was it placebo effect (I think it fools the lag comp system) ? 

Side note: South Africa is a very mixed space when it comes to connection. Some have fibre with low ping and up to 10Gbps where others have LTE and ADSL or use their mobile hotspot 
Can that have a effect on how well the game performs ? 

if your on 3ms ping you are getting hit hard by the lag compression engine, keep your geo filter on that server and just dumb down your connection, play with the sliders under qos 30 to 70 % then under traffic prioritize find out which port its using i have mine forced to use 3075

SBMM and LCE works off of connection to server first then score & KD (why streamers started using VPN's, VPN's kill your bandwidth hard)

4 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

if your on 3ms ping you are getting hit hard by the lag compression engine, keep your geo filter on that server and just dumb down your connection, play with the sliders under qos 30 to 70 % then under traffic prioritize find out which port its using i have mine forced to use 3075

SBMM and LCE works off of connection to server first then score & KD (why streamers started using VPN's, VPN's kill your bandwidth hard)

Thats a good suggestion but in my opinion its not even worth it. You really cant get any better than 3 ms ping. That is basically unheard of unless youre on a direct fiber connection or something like that. It may help but i highly doubt that. At some point your hit detection really isnt going to get better. If your ethernet and wifi drivers are all up to date and settings are optimal there really isnt much else to do. IMO. 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, zman1156 said:

Thats a good suggestion but in my opinion its not even worth it. You really cant get any better than 3 ms ping. That is basically unheard of unless youre on a direct fiber connection or something like that. It may help but i highly doubt that. At some point your hit detection really isnt going to get better. If your ethernet and wifi drivers are all up to date and settings are optimal there really isnt much else to do. IMO. 

its not that you need a better ping then 3ms you need to miniplate the lag compression engine so your hit detection actually registers

there is alot you can do thats where the duma comes into play and why they have the qos settings it does

7 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

its not that you need a better ping then 3ms you need to miniplate the lag compression engine so your hit detection actually registers

there is alot you can do thats where the duma comes into play and why they have the qos settings it does

At the end of the day this is COD were talking about here... I think you're over thinking it 😂🤣😂

43 minutes ago, zman1156 said:

At the end of the day this is COD were talking about here... I think you're over thinking it 😂🤣😂

Not at all, i use to have this problem all the time, pay for the best internet then have the worst experience to i figured out how to use my net duma router correctly. When i bought my first R1 router and plugged it in i was like man this thing makes no difference i was so overwhelmed by all the extra settings i didnt touch any of them cause i didnt want to mess anything up. I keep just taking a beatings so then i went to youtube and watched every video on lag i could find. Little by little i noticed i had settings that were in the videos i was watching and this was all the way back in 2014 / 15 i bought my r1 at the end of advanced warfare then bo3 dropped. i use to lobby search for the 60ms lobbies cause the hit detection was way better then after all those youtube videos and a lot of trial and error & after watching different streamers for months on end i figured out how to dial in the lowre ping lobbies with all the dumo features

this is just what works for me. not saying it will work for everyone and my settings had to change throughout the different version of COD and individual mid game updates

static ip for my console, set static ip address on duma os

port forward all recommended ports for my console

upnp off

i use something called GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark (google it) to find me the fastest dns for my area. googles 8888 and 8844 and 1111 have never ever been close to top of the list for me (this is a completely different subject but i feel alot of streamers and youtube content creators give out false info so little billy and timmy can run around and not be able to kill anything cause of the wrong gun class recommendations or setting recommendations) i would watch JGOD's latest videos all the time then try the setup and they would be complete ass, i would watch nickmercs and notice the attachments he shows on the gun is not the same attachments hes actually running around with https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentFuriousSwordRedCoat-4IrwzWyZU9V8vYDU

ok so i got a little off subject. i use that dns tool to find me the fastest dns i change the setting on the duma os under wan / network from auto to the dns the tool says to use then i also put that dns on my console

for QOS when playing MP xbox live has a 25mb cap any internet connection faster then that gets handicapped, faster the connection the harder the lag compression engine hits  you so when i play MP on those 9ms lobbies i have my sliders set to 20mb down 5mb up, when i play warzone i have them set to 70% down / 70% up and for traffic prioritization i force 3074 and 3075 only

for geo filter when playing mp or warzone i believe ping is king i have my home pin set to where i actually live and the radius circle set to the minimum of 311 miles,

there are alot of videos on my ig @TODDzillaInLA and my teams IG @OWUH_Gaming where you can see i shot last and kill first alot of the time because of the advantage pc players hardware rise have over console players

this was from yesterday, i was playing duo's and duo / quads

Wins.thumb.jpg.b239252575b53103c6a05e82174dcad9.jpg

On 10/22/2021 at 12:15 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

Not at all, i use to have this problem all the time, pay for the best internet then have the worst experience to i figured out how to use my net duma router correctly. When i bought my first R1 router and plugged it in i was like man this thing makes no difference i was so overwhelmed by all the extra settings i didnt touch any of them cause i didnt want to mess anything up. I keep just taking a beatings so then i went to youtube and watched every video on lag i could find. Little by little i noticed i had settings that were in the videos i was watching and this was all the way back in 2014 / 15 i bought my r1 at the end of advanced warfare then bo3 dropped. i use to lobby search for the 60ms lobbies cause the hit detection was way better then after all those youtube videos and a lot of trial and error & after watching different streamers for months on end i figured out how to dial in the lowre ping lobbies with all the dumo features

this is just what works for me. not saying it will work for everyone and my settings had to change throughout the different version of COD and individual mid game updates

upnp off

i use something called GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark (google it) to find me the fastest dns for my area. googles 8888 and 8844 and 1111 have never ever been close to top of the list for me (this is a completely different subject but i feel alot of streamers and youtube content creators give out false info so little billy and timmy can run around and not be able to kill anything cause of the wrong gun class recommendations or setting recommendations) i would watch JGOD's latest videos all the time then try the setup and they would be complete ass, i would watch nickmercs and notice the attachments he shows on the gun is not the same attachments hes actually running around with https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentFuriousSwordRedCoat-4IrwzWyZU9V8vYDU

ok so i got a little off subject. i use that dns tool to find me the fastest dns i change the setting on the duma os under wan / network from auto to the dns the tool says to use then i also put that dns on my console

for QOS when playing MP xbox live has a 25mb cap any internet connection faster then that gets handicapped, faster the connection the harder the lag compression engine hits  you so when i play MP on those 9ms lobbies i have my sliders set to 20mb down 5mb up, when i play warzone i have them set to 70% down / 70% up and for traffic prioritization i force 3074 and 3075 only

for geo filter when playing mp or warzone i believe ping is king i have my home pin set to where i actually live and the radius circle set to the minimum of 311 miles,

there are alot of videos on my ig @TODDzillaInLA and my teams IG @OWUH_Gaming where you can see i shot last and kill first alot of the time because of the advantage pc players hardware rise have over console players

well i guess for starters hit detection is worse on console than it is on PC. PC you can adjust your network adapter and all sorts of other stuff. I have no idea what kind of network chips are in Xbox but im willing to wager they aren't top of the line. Also DNS is more of a placebo effect if anything but if you find it works better for you that is awesome. 

My setup is a Samsung QN90A , PS5 , Fibre 300/300 and Netduma all connected with a LAN cable. I tried throttling my connection all the way from 0.5/0.5Mbps-30/30Mbps and it made no consistent difference. I have to agree that PC seems to have better hit detection , movement etc and besides using a VPN there doesn't seem to be a solution for console.

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Liam Imagine you partner with Cloudflare Warp and you can implement the Warp Wiregaurd setup to provide gamers with a free VPN that protects them from DDOS attacks (will be a industry first)

19 minutes ago, Killerelite06 said:

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Liam Imagine you partner with Cloudflare Warp and you can implement the Warp Wiregaurd setup to provide gamers with a free VPN that protects them from DDOS attacks (will be a industry first)

Very cool idea, thanks! We're planning a big improvement to Hybrid VPN soon so keep an eye out for that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

upnp off

tried this and it helped a lot!!! thanks G! 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

upnp off

Hi. Is this the method you mention in another thread to get better lobbies or is there anything else that you do? I’ve just got an R1 so I’m trying to learn all I can. @TODDzillaInLA

Thanks

Rob

On 10/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, TODDzillaInLA said:

upnp off

The 3074 and 3075 bit how do i do that? Also im on PC wil this bit be the same 

Cheers! 

46 minutes ago, davemarsden132 said:

per QOS durante la riproduzione di MP xbox live ha un limite di 25 MB per qualsiasi connessione Internet più veloce di quella che diventa handicappata, più veloce è la connessione più forte è il motore di compressione del ritardo che ti colpisce, quindi quando gioco MP su quelle lobby da 9 ms ho i miei cursori impostati su 20 MB in giù 5 MB in su , quando gioco a Warzone li ho impostati su 70% in meno / 70% in su e per la priorità del traffico forzo solo 3074 e 3075

Il bit 3074 e 3075 come posso farlo? Anche su PC questo bit sarà lo stesso 

Saluti! 

the QOS do you use it on auto enable or always?

15 hours ago, RobBob said:

Hi. Is this the method you mention in another thread to get better lobbies or is there anything else that you do? I’ve just got an R1 so I’m trying to learn all I can. @TODDzillaInLA

Thanks

Rob

better lobbies as in better connection to the lobby... yes