Warzone Lag - The usual Shoot first die first

As @Netduma Fraser mentioned changing the MTU may only work for a few people and may only work with . 
Changing the MTU seems to help if you have a poor upload connection, I'm not talking about upload speed, more about ISP network performance/throughput
When I watch others play, I see them lock on and melt players effortlessly. What I have now is still not close to that but it's better than what I had and certainly no placebo effect. 

My personal opinion is that if you have poor upload performance, UDP packets are getting delayed/out of order and the game servers are just dropping them as it's a time critical application. 

Time-sensitive applications often use UDP because dropping packets is preferable to waiting for packets delayed due to retransmission, which may not be an option in a real-time system

In COD I've had many gun fights where I'll start landing hits first on an opponent and continue to get hits till I die in what seems like a fraction of the time they land their first hit. On the kill cam (pinch of salt) I see their life bar almost drop to nothing before they land a shot and then they stop taking any more damage and kill me.   
My theory here is that the game is trying to see who fired first and who did the most damage in that time frame and if your packets are getting delayed/out of order on upload you are up against it. Smaller MTU size seems to narrow that gap for me in terms of assisting with my poor upload performance. 

Basically the games netcode is trying to handle all the variables in everyones connection in a round trip from their home to the game server and back, whilst trying to create a level playing field in real time. It must be challenging considering the differences in Home networks, ISP Hardware, ISP performance,  local network congestion, game server congestion etc. 
To put it into perspective of how quick it's all happening - If your are playing in a 25 ms ping lobby, that is 10 times quicker than the average humans reaction time. 
The nearest Cold war game server to me is 3ms yet I'll end up in a game on a server that's running at 40ms. 

Let's be honest, most of us are here because we had issues with gaming/network performance and bought a Netduma product to fix something, others seems to do just fine with their stock ISP router. Whether you're combatting bufferbloat, high ping, Qos, traffic prio, port forwarding, geo fencing or having to force further away game servers,  the netduma helps us manage a poor gaming experience.  

Give it up for the Netduma team !!!!!
Not only do they give us a product that allows us to tweek and test our connections, they also provide support and suggestions to things that are way out of their control. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. so been giving some checks at these MTU Settings and finding the mtu size that does not need to be fragmented. Found that having the lowest mtu the game allocates me at further servers. If the MTU is bigger it gives me closest servers. Got to test between MTU sizes and hitreg. Ignoring If the servers are closer or further.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an old topic BUT, for no reason but because I was bored and don’t really play Warzone anymore I modified my MTU to 700 and sheesh, my games were playing like I was a streamer. It’s literally like I had Ghost/Dead Silence on the entire match. No matter what…it’s like the enemies couldn’t respond to me. They weren’t even drawing their gun and when they did…my aim assist was so strong it completely locked on and melted with little effort. The game moved and responded like I was “offline” practicing against bots. It’s normally much more “sluggish” with clear signs of being “behind”(I still do well but there’s an obvious need for adjustment  from practicing offline…aim assist is normally very weak when I go online) 

I know it’s not a full proof and quite a volatile method to manipulate your internet but it was a relief to play and have fun. My k/d is decent but mostly because of “Game IQ” not connection. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 1:29 AM, Piplowe said:

I may have a fix for some !! 

I've had the same problem for years, low ping and poor hit detection, slow movement, 5 hit markers taking one plate in warzone etc. 
I've tried the normal routes to get better hit detection, VPN, Geo Filter to Play on servers further away, traffic priority, congestion control, throttling upload and download and even used an openwrt router to add ping delay.  I generally think you're fighting your ISP for a stable upload connection.  

Last week I was browsing the forum and saw that someone else changed their MTU to WAN setting to a low number and had better hit detection.  ( Fraser mentioned fragmentation can occur at low speeds)  So I thought I'd give it a go. 

As a side note I first noticed that my loaded ping upload/download where miles apart.  15ms download and 40ms upload, with no other devices on the network.

By lowering the MTU I was able to reduce the loaded upload ping from 40ms to around 25ms. I started with the default MTU of 1500 and lowered by 100 each time and testing the loaded ping on fast_dot_com. I settled with an MTU of 700 which is pretty much the lowest setting. 

I'm not sure why it works but I'm not complaining and my hit detection is night and day. 
I'm assuming it's something to do with either UDP packet loss or retransmission of UDP packets on high speed lines such as FTTC.

Give it a try, only change the MTU on the netduma and not your router, pc or console. 

Are you able to join games using this mtu?

@Piplowe Now that a few months have gone by, has this remained an effective solution for you? I also have an XR500 and have found that turning off QOS to be helpful but my connection benchmark results are still terrible for both my upload and dowload ping under load. I just came a cross your posts today and will try lowering the MTU to see if that fixes the problem.

• 1 month later...

Lag Comp is 100% a thing. I live in Syd Aus where that’s where the only servers are for the whole of Oceania and I, without fail, get an 11ms, 15ms or 19ms ping in game. Every now and then, I would say roughly 1 in 5 face to face gun fights, where I legitimately shoot first, I’ll be watching my killcam and be like “wtf?” The other person is always rocking a 31ms, 35ms, 50ms, 70ms or even higher ping. More often than not, I’m only effected by this against other decent players and obviously there are situations where you straight up lose gunnies. But it’s those moments where it’s a straight up 1v1 and you definitely shot first. I’ve tried a lot of different things over the years but after reading a lot of threads, lag comp is unavoidable. How is it that someone living in New Zealand (43ms-60ms) or Perth (60ms—70ms), on the other side of Australia, can win a gunfight against a player who lives on top of the server, with a decent KD and a beast set-up and…..shoots first? I would love to geofilter to other servers but the next closest is Singapore! And I do get 100ms there which is playable but there are more legitimate hackers there than normal gamers haha. Haven’t tried since the anti-cheat though…I never believed it was a thing and thought it was all in my head but watching at least 90% of Warzone streamers on twitch rock a 31ms or higher ping 90% of the time, there has to be a ping “sweet spot” and it has to be somewhere between 31ms and 70ms. I’ve tried VPNing to another city and back but even that has its disadvantages and is not as good as the gamers actually living in Melbourne or Brisbane. A lot of people will be like “mate, your just getting shit on. The ping has nothing to do with it” but I’m pretty confident and still rock a 4+ rebirth kd. Having the lowest ping is not always an advantage so I don’t know if any of this will help other than moving 1000kms away from your closest dedicated server? I guess this is why OCE Warzone is dying because majority of the player base would live in Sydney and would be oblivious as to why they are losing gunnies they shouldn’t be? Just my theory. Let me know if your in a similar situation. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, Swgohlegend said:

I find changing my qos during games helps a lot. Try and give it go!? 

Indeed tuning QOS can help with hit reg etc etc. Ping isnt everything but yes i believe there is a ping sweet spot sort of to say. 

On 10/28/2021 at 7:55 PM, Mossberg said:

This is an old topic BUT, for no reason but because I was bored and don’t really play Warzone anymore I modified my MTU to 700 and sheesh, my games were playing like I was a streamer. It’s literally like I had Ghost/Dead Silence on the entire match. No matter what…it’s like the enemies couldn’t respond to me. They weren’t even drawing their gun and when they did…my aim assist was so strong it completely locked on and melted with little effort. The game moved and responded like I was “offline” practicing against bots. It’s normally much more “sluggish” with clear signs of being “behind”(I still do well but there’s an obvious need for adjustment  from practicing offline…aim assist is normally very weak when I go online) 

I know it’s not a full proof and quite a volatile method to manipulate your internet but it was a relief to play and have fun. My k/d is decent but mostly because of “Game IQ” not connection. 

i tried this last night and DAAAAAMNNNN what a difference!!!

On 12/8/2021 at 9:53 AM, davemarsden132 said:

Hi,

The changing of MTU worked for abit, but recently for some reason my game cannot connect to a game with my MTU at 700. Not sure if Call Of Duty clocked on to this as 'cheating' or 'manipulating' but it dosent seem to work for me anymore.

im on 750 right now and it works

Just now, designerema said:

on the wan settings in the DumaOS but i went back to 1300 cause it was hard to find games

that's all placebo, changing your mtu there does nothing for gaming online. your better putting it at 1500 so you can have the largest packets over your WAN

On 9/2/2021 at 4:28 AM, TODDzillaInLA said:

Drop it 50 at a time make sure geo filter is on so you can keep testing on the same server 

I wouldn’t go off of speed test it says my latency is 2ms. In game is the best but remember when your done playing to put it back to normal. If you watch Netflix or stream it’s going to look like crap 

Thanks for the info! How exactly do you keep the same server though??? Even with my Geo set to like 450mi, different servers still connect?

2 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Thanks for the info! How exactly do you keep the same server though??? Even with my Geo set to like 450mi, different servers still connect?

set you home icon to that server and make the circle as small as possible then the game will never let you go anywhere else

1 minute ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

set you home icon to that server and make the circle as small as possible then the game will never let you go anywhere else

Awesome, how does that affect gameplay and time to find lobbies? Pretty consistent gameplay?

2 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Awesome, how does that affect gameplay and time to find lobbies? Pretty consistent gameplay?

fist game might take a bit, clear saved game data and profile before playing

Just now, TODDzillaInLA said:

fist game might take a bit, clear saved game data and profile before playing

How exactly do I clear both of those? Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to trying all this MTU thing….. NOTHING has been consistent up to this point. Everything I’ve done over the years work for a bit, then same ole same ole. 

1 hour ago, zman1156 said:

how do you clear saved game data lol? 

Press the xbox button on your controller

highlight the call of duty you are planning on playing

hit the start button on your controller

select manage game

select saved data

select delete all

Now launch the game

after a couple updates and after a new season has dropped i delete the whole game and do a fresh install with the newest update already in it (this will make a huge difference if you have never done it)