Warzone Lag - The usual Shoot first die first

On 8/9/2021 at 3:09 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

If you were trying to throttle then 2/2Mbps is still too much bandwidth, going down to 0.5 would be more efficient if that actually does work. I can't see how QoS/UPnP would get confused but would be interested to hear your results!

Interesting QOS - OFF , UPnP - OFF...not sure too how this will help but willing to try, I will post my results.

So have had 2 days with the UPNP off and QoS off also swapped from xr700 to r9000

Works a treat, no shoot first die first anymore.. im shredding kids. Dropping 20 bombs. Sitting at daily kds of 3-5KD due to hackers today my KD is 3.7. Without the first 3 games of aimbot hackers would be more like 4.5kd for yesterday.

This being said i have 300mbps down and 50mbps up. Which i am upgrading to 900mbps down and 110mbps up.

If you have low internet speeds such as 60mbps down 10 up etc. This method may not work for you as the QoS may be needed etc. 

This has worked for 2 days now so will keep it for a week or so and come back to you with the results! 

Something I also missed out - Which I will test and get back to you .... My Ethernet is plugged into my PC with a USB - Ethernet adapter!!!! 

If there is Lag Comp, Wonder if this is confusing it maybe? Im going to try a full week with it as it is now just to make sure its 100% fixed.. Then ill plug it into the ethernet and get back with the results! 

Right played 8 games today... 1.5KD with ethernet plugged into PC. Going to keep testing for a couple more days but i think this is the fix not the router settings

BENFEI Ethernet Adapter, USB 3.0 to RJ45 1000Mbps Gigabit LAN Adapter Compatible for MacBook, Surface Pro, PC with Windows7/8/10, XP, Vista, Mac[Alumi

• 2 weeks later...

IMO SBMM is gonna getcha no matter what. With SBMM and especially warzone it seems that everyone gets a medal.  It used to be this the case that if you ”got good” and had the right rig, you could consistently smash lobbies. There was an incentive,  practice and I can own these chumps who are kicking my Ass. Your only reward now is better opponents as Activision would love everyone to just have 1 K/D through aggressive mm.

I know where everyones coming from though, I'm pretty sure that throttling etc does work as I do the same and compared to friends K/D I'm  way ahead. In fact, back in the day, with the right Router and the right bandwidth limiter settings I could smash 30-0 in FFA on the old CODs.  But even if you find the magic sauce... you have the best router setup, you know the maps, you know the best gun for the game, you've practiced...SBMM will steaderly match you against other players who have the same advantages as yourself due to high K/D, then it's back to the start. The only way around that I've found, and I know some people wont like this but I despise SBMM so F*ck it, is to create a low K/D smurf account on another Console or PC, join its lobby and search for a game. As soon as you find something the Smurf leaves without a party.

Edited by Tez
Typos

@davemarsden132 So what's your complete setup? This is what I'm gathering how you have your setup now.  Let me know if it's incorrect or if there's anything else I'm missing. 

Nolagvpn

USB Ethernet adapter (which you're claiming is better than a regular ethernet adapter)

QoS throttling bandwidth to 0.5 upload and download

1 hour ago, Forrestbear said:

@davemarsden132 So what's your complete setup? This is what I'm gathering how you have your setup now.  Let me know if it's incorrect or if there's anything else I'm missing. 

Nolagvpn

USB Ethernet adapter (which you're claiming is better than a regular ethernet adapter)

QoS throttling bandwidth to 0.5 upload and download

You may need to read full post bro, ive not once claimed the usb ethernet is better than a regular ethernet. Ive actually stated its worse. 

I may have a fix for some !! 

I've had the same problem for years, low ping and poor hit detection, slow movement, 5 hit markers taking one plate in warzone etc. 
I've tried the normal routes to get better hit detection, VPN, Geo Filter to Play on servers further away, traffic priority, congestion control, throttling upload and download and even used an openwrt router to add ping delay.  I generally think you're fighting your ISP for a stable upload connection.  

Last week I was browsing the forum and saw that someone else changed their MTU to WAN setting to a low number and had better hit detection.  ( Fraser mentioned fragmentation can occur at low speeds)  So I thought I'd give it a go. 

As a side note I first noticed that my loaded ping upload/download where miles apart.  15ms download and 40ms upload, with no other devices on the network.

By lowering the MTU I was able to reduce the loaded upload ping from 40ms to around 25ms. I started with the default MTU of 1500 and lowered by 100 each time and testing the loaded ping on fast_dot_com. I settled with an MTU of 700 which is pretty much the lowest setting. 

I'm not sure why it works but I'm not complaining and my hit detection is night and day. 
I'm assuming it's something to do with either UDP packet loss or retransmission of UDP packets on high speed lines such as FTTC.

Give it a try, only change the MTU on the netduma and not your router, pc or console. 

7 hours ago, Piplowe said:

I may have a fix for some !! 

I've had the same problem for years, low ping and poor hit detection, slow movement, 5 hit markers taking one plate in warzone etc. 
I've tried the normal routes to get better hit detection, VPN, Geo Filter to Play on servers further away, traffic priority, congestion control, throttling upload and download and even used an openwrt router to add ping delay.  I generally think you're fighting your ISP for a stable upload connection.  

Last week I was browsing the forum and saw that someone else changed their MTU to WAN setting to a low number and had better hit detection.  ( Fraser mentioned fragmentation can occur at low speeds)  So I thought I'd give it a go. 

As a side note I first noticed that my loaded ping upload/download where miles apart.  15ms download and 40ms upload, with no other devices on the network.

By lowering the MTU I was able to reduce the loaded upload ping from 40ms to around 25ms. I started with the default MTU of 1500 and lowered by 100 each time and testing the loaded ping on fast_dot_com. I settled with an MTU of 700 which is pretty much the lowest setting. 

I'm not sure why it works but I'm not complaining and my hit detection is night and day. 
I'm assuming it's something to do with either UDP packet loss or retransmission of UDP packets on high speed lines such as FTTC.

Give it a try, only change the MTU on the netduma and not your router, pc or console. 

Gonna try this tonight!! 

Quick one tho when you said you start at 1500 and lower by 100 and test each time. 

What result are you looking for if u get me, like what you trying to find! 

Thanks for sharing this btw 

I used 2 method to test,   i used the speed test at fast.com and the DumaOS 3.0 connection benchmark. 

As you can see from the images below, when my MTU was 1500 my loaded upload was 37ms,  reduced it to 700 and now it's 20ms and hit detection is good.

@Netduma Fraser Perhaps the devs could shed some light.  Since lowering the MTU I'm starting to play a lot more on the uk server and joining lower ping games.

Could the loaded upload ping be a factor when matchmaking rather than an idle or download loaded ping.  

image.png.1786f4f13d86bf5221b1f49226c161ba.png

image.png.474b64d6d8dd17c897b13333a2b2121a.png

image.thumb.png.13d75d2d3718dc121319702143e05619.png

9 minutes ago, Piplowe said:

I used 2 method to test,   i used the speed test at fast.com and the DumaOS 3.0 connection benchmark. 

As you can see from the images below, when my MTU was 1500 my loaded upload was 37ms,  reduced it to 700 and now it's 20ms and hit detection is good.

@Netduma Fraser Perhaps the devs could shed some light.  Since lowering the MTU I'm starting to play a lot more on the uk server and joining lower ping games.

Could the loaded upload ping be a factor when matchmaking rather than an idle or download loaded ping.  

image.png.1786f4f13d86bf5221b1f49226c161ba.png

image.png.474b64d6d8dd17c897b13333a2b2121a.png

image.thumb.png.13d75d2d3718dc121319702143e05619.png

I don't have knowledge of MTU you guys are talking about, do mind explaining how to do this? I would like to try this out to.

You can change the MTU in Settings > Setup > WAN Setup > MTU Size(in bytes):
I'd suggest running a speed test on fast.com to see what your loaded latency is first then reduce the MTU and speedtest again to see if it lowers the loaded ping. 
If you have the DumaOS3 beta you can use the connection benchmark. 

image.thumb.png.591644ae3448a4677fbc80c84f2e71ae.png

2 hours ago, davemarsden132 said:

How do u find the sweet spot like how do u test

Drop it 50 at a time make sure geo filter is on so you can keep testing on the same server 

I wouldn’t go off of speed test it says my latency is 2ms. In game is the best but remember when your done playing to put it back to normal. If you watch Netflix or stream it’s going to look like crap 

Just from personal experience. When I was younger I always thought vm would be the best running fiber optic and having the best speeds in my head I thought that must be the best there is.

It wasn't till I got older and realised that vm and other broadband companies do different traffic prioritisation on there ends differently. So with vm I'm pretty sure you only get the best traffic prior when you pay for there most expensive package or highest speeds. A quick Google should give you some more info if you look hard enough. But going from vm 350mb 20mb up then to sky 20mb 2mb up at the time ran a lot better than vm ever did for gaming.

There's alot of factors to consider but from my personal experience and my conclusion be on any company other than vm as most all use the same infrastructure into the home and also try to be with a company that isn't in high demand in your area. I'm genuinely on plusnet now (oh no plus net they are crap blah blah blah) . In my area plusnet are not used by many people and hopefully that gets rid of some congestion during peak times. But by sky and plusnet have all panned out to be the same speeds the same pings and the same online experience for the most part. Vm I had a horrible time always shot first died first always got jumped by someone who came around the corner but it hadn't happened on my screen yet. Vm just isn't the one in my opinion also there lines are highly saturated by the millions

With the xr500 I have found turning qos off is actually better than having it on and creates a delay that makes it impossible soon as I turn it off gaming is good again.

My simple set up is qos fully disabled 

Geo filter dump the circle in the water and use ping assist start at 8 or 9 and work your way up until it connects you to the closest server.

And dmz your console as for some reason xr500 and many other routers right now are not getting information from the game to open ports 3074 3075 or 3076 from the game or console through upnp

Hope this helps in some way