Destiny 2 now using Steam Network Sockets

Nuyorrican

• 1 month later...

Has there been any breakthroughs or updates?
We have been unable to use our products in the advertised way for 10 months now, and the more updates and dlc the game drops, the more players come in, it's one of the most popular games on steam and we can't use the geo-filter to find matches that are within a reasonable amount of latency.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Banshee44 said:

Has there been any breakthroughs or updates?
We have been unable to use our products in the advertised way for 10 months now, and the more updates and dlc the game drops, the more players come in, it's one of the most popular games on steam and we can't use the geo-filter to find matches that are within a reasonable amount of latency.

I haven't heard anything but I've chased and looped in a senior on the matter to get it addressed faster.

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I haven't heard anything but I've chased and looped in a senior on the matter to get it addressed faster.

Is this a joke?

Because this whole situation sure is, I for one will NEVER buy another product from you guys.

Definitely the worst customer experience I have ever had.

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Saint-14 said:

Is this a joke?

Because this whole situation sure is, I for one will NEVER buy another product from you guys.

Definitely the worst customer experience I have ever had.

I haven't heard anything but it doesn't mean nothing has been done, I do apologize for the delay, I hope by pulling in a senior it can be prioritized.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's all wave bye bye to the geo-filter on console for Destiny 2 on Tuesday 9th February 2021.

I know a lot of people that have purchased these duma os routers for the specific purpose of the geo-filtering for Destiny 2 are going to be disapointed but please try not to set your expectations to high on expecting anything to be done to try and give us "ANY" functionality back..

I mean it's been totally useless on the PC version of Destiny 2 since we moved to steam on October 1st 2019, and has any progress been made? nope not one thing the response on here is?

"we are looking into it" 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:05 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I haven't heard anything but it doesn't mean nothing has been done, I do apologize for the delay, I hope by pulling in a senior it can be prioritized.

Sorry @Fraser but you are not filling my mind with a whole load of confidence, I guess you all just hope we will go away, but let me remind you we purchased these routers because of the advertised features for Destiny 2 these are no longer available what are you has a company going to do about it?

I can't understand why a Senior member can't just give us an update about this... I would even accept a:"we can't do nothing for this issue", I mean we would like just an official reply. 

2 minutes ago, Stobbart said:

I can't understand why a Senior member can't just give us an update about this... I would even accept a:"we can't do nothing for this issue", I mean we would like just an official reply. 

Exactly!!!!! 

Personally I think we have put up with the "passing the buck routine" for far too long and we all deserve an official reply from someone in a senior position instead of being fobbed off constantly by the underlings. 

1 hour ago, Moe69 said:

Update: Steam Datagram Relay will be used for DDOS protection on consoles, so the same technology as pc players.

Please do anything against it. Geo-Filter will be useless soon for consoles!

I get it i really do but i have been hit offline so many time its stupid. will ping assist all so be rendered useless ?

This defiantly will hurt TRIALS CARRIES..

20 minutes ago, Moe69 said:

Yes. The whole network traffic of destiny 2 will be managed through SDR, so any local technology will be useless.

Damn that really sucks.

If all the traffic is being managed this way how would it even be possible for DUMA to assist in any way?

On 2/10/2021 at 7:05 AM, SETi-D said:

just a quick post i be leave the day is here when geo filter was rendered no good. I MAYBE WRONG but d2 had the update and GEO is still working ok at moment. Or did i get the dates wrong?

Capture.PNG

That because the PS4 Destiny2 is still on P2P connection.

Quote from Bungie, Feb 4, 2021:

SDR CONSOLE UPDATE Steam Datagram Relay is coming to consoles during Season of the Chosen, but we need to do more testing and fixes before it's ready to go live.

• 1 month later...

Dead thread looks like people will be moving on from DumaOS after this pathetic customer service experience, no updates yet again in how many weeks (ALMOST 9)

Pathetic tbh and we should vote with our wallets and dump this crap.

I for one will not be purchasing any more of there crap and I will certainly not recommend them to others, that's for sure

I guess they get what they want now, if we all leave and let them continue to sell false promises for example the (sole reason I purchased these routers was for Destiny on PC) 

It no longer does anything for me and once DDOS protection gets added to console these routers will no longer work for console players too, are we just going to say nothing?

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear you feel that way. The topic may not be getting updated but it doesn't mean we're doing nothing, when we have more information or news we will share it as soon as we can.

How do I return my R2? I bought it for this reason. I wish I knew this before I spend $280 CAD. if you aren't going to fix this issue at least put it in your specs that Destiny 2 isn't supported on PC.  Also take down the fraudulent promo video of having Destiny 2 appearing to work in your heatmap video.  

@Netduma Fraser You keep asking these people for the same information over and over when we both know its irrelevant if you can't get the other peoples ip addresses to do any sort of filtering with.  Filtering by geo location is not going to be a thing anymore.  I know for a fact most people bought netduma routers to do win trading and not so much to avoid laggers.  So i will be frank with you about it.  You can help be part of the solution on this in a different way than repeatedly asking questions about the filtering that will never work again.

What you can do is help to solve the problem by helping them do it in a different way.  What i mean by this is you can still tell who you are queing into because the steam relay services packets include the peoples steamids.  So what you need to do is come up with a way to not allow people to connect to you that arent the steamid you set to be allowed.  This will allow people to get back to what they were doing prior to this mess.

This is 100% possible, there is a guy on a cheating website selling these services and hes able to directly que into his other account repeatedly and get the job done.  If some random guy on a cheating site is pulling it off surely you guys can manage a solution. I have confirmed he is able to do this btw it's not me assuming he can.

I will say this to further motivate you as well.  Right now this problem is only effecting PC players.  They account for not even 1/5th of the player base.  They announced all the consoles are getting this same steamrelay feature soon.  When that occurs you can expect a bunch of pissed off players flipping out on here wanting refunds if there isn't a solution.

9 hours ago, Dumaguy1 said:

How do I return my R2? I bought it for this reason. I wish I knew this before I spend $280 CAD. if you aren't going to fix this issue at least put it in your specs that Destiny 2 isn't supported on PC.  Also take down the fraudulent promo video of having Destiny 2 appearing to work in your heatmap video.  

Sorry to hear that, I'll make sure the referenced content is reviewed. You can view the returns process at netduma.com/terms.

7 hours ago, Wynd said:

@Netduma Fraser You keep asking these people for the same information over and over when we both know its irrelevant if you can't get the other peoples ip addresses to do any sort of filtering with.  Filtering by geo location is not going to be a thing anymore.  I know for a fact most people bought netduma routers to do win trading and not so much to avoid laggers.  So i will be frank with you about it.  You can help be part of the solution on this in a different way than repeatedly asking questions about the filtering that will never work again.

What you can do is help to solve the problem by helping them do it in a different way.  What i mean by this is you can still tell who you are queing into because the steam relay services packets include the peoples steamids.  So what you need to do is come up with a way to not allow people to connect to you that arent the steamid you set to be allowed.  This will allow people to get back to what they were doing prior to this mess.

This is 100% possible, there is a guy on a cheating website selling these services and hes able to directly que into his other account repeatedly and get the job done.  If some random guy on a cheating site is pulling it off surely you guys can manage a solution. I have confirmed he is able to do this btw it's not me assuming he can.

I will say this to further motivate you as well.  Right now this problem is only effecting PC players.  They account for not even 1/5th of the player base.  They announced all the consoles are getting this same steamrelay feature soon.  When that occurs you can expect a bunch of pissed off players flipping out on here wanting refunds if there isn't a solution.

Thank you for your feedback and your suggestions, we understand your frustrations here. We only ask these questions to ensure that a user's issue is on Bungie's end and not something we can quickly resolve through configuration, we need to do this for each individual user that reports a problem. We're not looking to allow user's to cheat the game, we're very against that. We just want to ensure users can use Geo-filter to ensure they're connected to a local server offering a good connection. This is the solution we're aiming for and are trying to achieve.

You can label it whatever you want but "cheating" is why people buy your product for d2. There's no logical reason to be able to set your location in the middle of the ocean n such other than avoiding other players. Expect a lot of upset console players soon if that's your view on this. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Wynd said:

You can label it whatever you want but "cheating" is why people buy your product for d2. There's no logical reason to be able to set your location in the middle of the ocean n such other than avoiding other players. Expect a lot of upset console players soon if that's your view on this. 

It would have taken a lot of work to prevent the placing of your location in the ocean - especially as there are islands that we have users on as well which cannot necessarily be seen on the map. Plus it is aimed for people who want to just use Ping Assist to get a game under their ping limit, rather than using the radius to get a server within their range.

9 hours ago, Wynd said:

Well, I bought it so I can only have players with low ping in my games. I don't care what their IP addresses are.  Is there a way to only connect to players with a preset ping with Destiny 2?Also why would you set the location to the middle of the ocean? 

Ok, spent some time with my R2. The visuals of what is happening don't coincide with videos on youtube or wherever as far as seeing individual players icons or ip addresses etc.

However I think the geofitering is working in the functional way that I want. That is, I can have games with people with a ping or a location I set.

The Destiny preset from the dropdown has the geofiltering option set to disabled so if you pick the Destiny preset it's useless and you will see no difference in your games.

If you pick the Call of Duty preset the geofiltering is enabled. When I select a region close to where I live and set the ping filter to 30 or 40 ms and set it to strict mode, I get significantly better Control matches.

I can't see anyones individual ip addresses or any actual specific information except for a ping to something, it's not even an IP address I assume it's the Steam port thing. Which for me is 17 ms.

That connection can also be 17 ms, or sometimes 30 or 60 if I have geofiltering off but it's usually the same low ping.

The big difference is that when geofiltering is on and ping is set to a low ping I don't see any player icons on the map from anything outside the filter zone. So it seems like it's rejecting high ping players. The games play smoother and I haven't had any laggy losers in my games so far..

Also if I make the geofiltering map smaller It makes queque times longer. One time with a very small location filter I only had 1 person in my tower.

I've only tried this for a few hours around 10 pm est so more testing at different times of day are needed but it seems like it works for what I need it to do.

Also I have an Open Nat from port forwarding.

It would be interesting if anyone else has this experience.

Did some more testing today at 12pm est. Played 5 games of Control with Geo filtering on and 5 with it off.

This time I did have some European ping assist players in my games with Geo filtering and ping assist on from Finland and France I think.  The strict mode was selected.

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I get a bunch of ping assist players from around the world when it's finding a lobby over time the players disappear and usually I get only North American icons throughout the game. Once and awhile in a game ping assisted players show up for a brief amount of time and then disappear. Sometimes European ping assisted players are there throughout a game.

What is supposed to happen? Players that are in your lobby are there the entire game?  The icons shouldn't disappear? When I turned off geo filtering and ping assist I had players from everywhere.  The icons were solid and didn't disappear as much.

Overall the Geofiltering games were better for me.. I need a larger sample size to really know. I also don't know what a perfect situation is as I'm not sure if the filtering is working 100%

Playing a game like Overwatch on a dedicated server is better in everyway as far as how the game response feels. I would assume if the filtering was working properly you might have crazy long queque times but your games would feel as good as an Overwatch game response and lag wise.

The whole geo/ping filters are never going to work reliably again. The only ip address that can be checked is the steam relay servers. So when you try to use these filters you are checking the ping to that and not actual players.

Someone could be vpning to the country you are in and being relayed through the same servers as you which will show good ping. The persons connection could have 800ms latency to the relay server and then only 60 from the relay server to you. So the filter will see 60 and say oh that's good. Then you load into the game and the person is lagging all over the place. 

Geo filter is a no go as well for the same reason. You are getting the location of the steam server not the player. Depending on how the relay server work you might have someone in Australia connecting to a steam relay server that then connects to a relay server in America which then connects to you. You aren't going to see that any of its from Australia you will just see the American relay server. 

They can keep suggesting firmwares and updates all they want but nothing they do to these routers is going to fix it. 

As for the people looking to cheat with win trading these routers will also be useless for that. 

It depends on if Destiny and Steam care what server you get directed to. For me it seems with filtering on, strict on, ping off and fast search off. It blocks all servers outside of my filter from my lobby.

I'm going to have to test over a longer period of time but it seems like my games are better overall. If Steam/Destiny just adds you to whatever server is available so you can join as fast as possible then I think filtering is an improvement.

You can't stop VPNs but the majority of people don't VPN into another country for gaming as that's stupid.

Why would you want a higher ping intentionally. I could see some people needing to if their server is bad but other than that why would you?

On 3/26/2021 at 6:34 AM, Wynd said:

Whether or not it's true that win trading or whatever other exploits were a big motivator in past and future purchases of this router is irrelevant and framing the question like this is only damaging to whatever hope was left for Geo-Filter functionality to return. 

Personally I bought a NetDuma router after I saw a sponsored video from a Destiny 1 content creator (TripleWRECK) showing how much of a positive effect the Geo-Filter had on connection quality in his PVP matches, and that's all I want now. The ability to set my location and have my PVP matches filled only with people close enough to me to ensure reliable connections.

If win trading was the goal here, you are aware that there's a pretty simple powershell script that blocks all matchmaking except for steamid's that you specify? I've seen multiple threads about it since maybe a month after SDR went live on PC.