Destiny 2 now using Steam Network Sockets

Nuyorrican

Hi everyone,

Destiny 2 just came out with a new update (for PC players) and it looks like they are now using Steam's Network Sockets.

This is to minimize the possibility of being DDoSed since this new season of Destiny is reintroducing Trials of Osiris.

I'm just curious how this will affect the GeoFilter now and what might be the best recommended settings now for us NetDuma users.

Here are two links that mention the changes. The Twitter link from Bungie even mentions the new UDP ports needed.

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1237424151767310336

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13610#PortForwarding

Thank you guys

Sorry to say I have not been able to test it much really.

From what I have been reading, Steam in a sense does something like Geo-Filter internally now that PC users are using the Steam Network Socks. Not only does it block your IP from being public, it also groups the user according to the internal Steam ID and then match players according to location (please take this all as a grain of salt, I don't work for them and all this is just from reading, I could be completely wrong).

My guess is that people should not enable the Geo-Location function for the moment since the peer-to-peer connections are now handled by the Steam servers.

Who knows if this is going to help or make matters worse for D2 players.

I'll try tonight if my wife does not give me that look 🤣🤣🤣

I purchased a XR500 just for Destiny 2 Trials and now everything has changed and it no longer helps with matchmaking, it simply does not block people from joining if outside my geofilter, worked fine before 😭 

Weirdly it still shows the triangles that it is blocking people but it still lets them join anyway

duma.JPG

One last thing apparently according to others the XR500 is still working just fine in consoles.

Any idea if this will/can be fixed? or did I waste money on the XR500 purchase?

Thank you for any replies.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Could you show a full screenshot of your Geo-Filter please so we can see what is happening more accurately? It's probably that they are connecting to a dedicated server within your radius which is normal behaviour and nothing we can do anything about as we can't affect other peoples connections. If we see the screenshot we can be sure.

It's something that has happened recently as they've changed their systems on PC and I've let the team know to test it.

not sure what you will be able to see from a full screenshot but here are a couple

Please let me know if there is any chance this can be fixed, if not I will be able to return it

You can clearly see that it is attempting to block out the players outside my geofilter however it no longer actually works 

Thx

duma1.JPG

duma2.JPG

• Administrators

It looks like it is blocking players/servers effectively but you can't impact other peoples connections, you will still get some players who are outside your radius simply because they will connect to you via a server or player within your radius. There is no way around that but by having the server/host closest to you that will give you an advantage.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

to you via a server or player within your radius. There

Thank you for the clarification.

Should we keep the Geo-Filter settings the same or do you recommend any changes for Destiny 2?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Nuyorrican said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Should we keep the Geo-Filter settings the same or do you recommend any changes for Destiny 2?

We usually recommend strict off for Destiny to prevent being booted from the game but you could try with Strict on which should give you a better connection but may increase your chances of being booted. Other than that we couldn't say more until we've tested it.

I can confirm that the geo-filter does "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON PC" to help get better connections in Destiny 2 anymore 😢

The router is now useless for anyone that plays Destiny 2 PVP and also looks like support here will just blame what Bungie changed recently and not bother to try and see if they can possibly fix it.

It still works on Xbox and PS4 like it always has but if you play on PC you may as well just turn OFF the geo-filter  

BUNGIE / DESTINY 2 DO NOT USE DEDICATED SERVERS, THEY USE PEER TO PEER CONNECTIONS

You used to be able to block out all other players if you wanted to do something solo by putting your geo-filter location in the middle of the ocean (this no longer works on PC) but works fine on console, so clearly what ever bungie changed on PC has broken the geo-filtering on PC all I am asking is you don't turn my 250 purchase in to a paperweight and see if there is in-fact anything that can be done to get it back to how it used to be.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Saint-14 said:

I can confirm that the geo-filter does "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON PC" to help get better connections in Destiny 2 anymore 😢

The router is now useless for anyone that plays Destiny 2 PVP and also looks like support here will just blame what Bungie changed recently and not bother to try and see if they can possibly fix it.

It still works on Xbox and PS4 like it always has but if you play on PC you may as well just turn OFF the geo-filter  

BUNGIE / DESTINY 2 DO NOT USE DEDICATED SERVERS, THEY USE PEER TO PEER CONNECTIONS

You used to be able to block out all other players if you wanted to do something solo by putting your geo-filter location in the middle of the ocean (this no longer works on PC) but works fine on console, so clearly what ever bungie changed on PC has broken the geo-filtering on PC all I am asking is you don't turn my 250 purchase in to a paperweight and see if there is in-fact anything that can be done to get it back to how it used to be.

We've said that we need to test the game again to see what needs to be done. I have also explained how the game used to work with the Geo-Filter/networking and they definitely did use Dedicated servers and P2P at the same time, whether they've transitioned from that since this update I can't be sure, that is why we need to test it but they definitely did. We will test it and if able to will make changes to optimise it again.

9 hours ago, Saint-14 said:

Hi Saint-14

I understand your frustration but this is not Netduma's fault.

Although the game is still peer 2 peer Bungie is now using the Steam servers for the initial connection. This in turn is suppose to hide the PC users IP address and using Steam's algorithm does "traffic shaping" or better said determines what users get connected.

Netduma's geo-filter was able to see the other players IP address and that's how it worked out the location. Now because of the changes I'm not sure if anything can be done on the PC side. IP's are being blocked by Steam.

My guess is the players you do see on the geo-filter list are actually Steam servers that the players are connecting to (I might be wrong though).

All of these lovely changes were done in an effort to stop DDos attacks. Although I have read of some DDoS attacks during this first week of Trials, I suspect the attacks were not directly done to the players but to the Steam/Bungie servers that are blocking the players IP. That's why some steamers were kicked out of a games but their internet connections did not get interrupted.

So I think it's going to be really hard for Netduma to really be able to do anything to make it work like before. If anything, the geo-filter will at least help choose the closest Steam server (so you do initially connect to a server further away) but Steam has all the cards now and they are the ones choosing who you connected to.

This explains things. I finally booted up D2 for the first time since Dec. Noticed straight off that geo wasn't working even in strict mode on my R1. This may be the final straw with me and D2. I only enjoy the crucible, and I have no desire to be playing people with terrible connection all over the globe. 😫

1 hour ago, willphule said:

This explains things. I finally booted up D2 for the first time since Dec. Noticed straight off that geo wasn't working even in strict mode on my R1. This may be the final straw with me and D2. I only enjoy the crucible, and I have no desire to be playing people with terrible connection all over the globe. 😫

Please note that this only affect PC/Steam players.

It does not affect XBOX/PS players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
21 minutes ago, Manpreet Singh said:

Are you guys going to do something about this issue of Geo filter not working anymore on destiny 2 pc..

We will be retesting the game and checking whether we can be compatible with the game again.

I've just bought the Netduma R1 to use with Destiny 2 on Xbox One but still haven't gotten past initial setup yet. I've plugged it all in, do i need to put my sky modem/router into bridge mode or something? 

If anyone could help that'd be great!

• Administrators
On 4/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, evilfuk said:

I've just bought the Netduma R1 to use with Destiny 2 on Xbox One but still haven't gotten past initial setup yet. I've plugged it all in, do i need to put my sky modem/router into bridge mode or something? 

If anyone could help that'd be great!

Making a new topic would be helpful so we can focus on your issue. However, what is the issue you're having? Are you not getting internet through the R1 when it is connected to the Sky hub?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, Saint-14 said:

Any update on this or is it just on the backburner?

I've not heard anything from Alex on this so if he's not able to do so by Friday I will try to do it myself on the weekend and see what is happening.