Destiny 2 now using Steam Network Sockets

Nuyorrican

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So you were using Ping Assist? I wouldn't recommend it for Destiny. You would have connected to a server which is why people would have connected as they would have connected to the server and then to you. If you try in the crucible, using normal radius over your location, no PA does it work?

If you could use the R1 3.0 beta just to make sure that would be great. Thanks we'll take a look at those if we can't get this sorted.

I tried with ping assist on and off and countless other things, what I am looking for is the experience I used to have when using the netduma (solo gaming sessions) I am not really interested in getting better pings while playing crucible.

I test and if I can't load in to the tower or strike solo then in my opinion it is not doing what I paid good money for it to do and I would like that funtionality back if at all possible, If not I will continue to use the PC Solo method I detailed earlier.

Could you link me to a download of the R1 v3 beta?

• Administrators

Okay understood. When you had it in the the ocean you will need Ping Assist 0, fast search disabled and strict mode enabled to have a chance of that working, see if that helps.

I've given you access to the R1 beta, you can find it here: https://forum.netduma.com/forum/130-dumaos-30-beta-netduma-r1/

38 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay understood. When you had it in the the ocean you will need Ping Assist 0, fast search disabled and strict mode enabled to have a chance of that working, see if that helps.

I've given you access to the R1 beta, you can find it here: https://forum.netduma.com/forum/130-dumaos-30-beta-netduma-r1/

Those are the settings I always used to use but it's not worked at all on PC since moving from battlenet to steam, however it works 99.5% of the time on Xbox but I guess that will be changing in a couple of months too.

I will give the v3 beta a go over the weekend, honestly though I do not think it will make any difference at all.

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, Saint-14 said:

Those are the settings I always used to use but it's not worked at all on PC since moving from battlenet to steam, however it works 99.5% of the time on Xbox but I guess that will be changing in a couple of months too.

I will give the v3 beta a go over the weekend, honestly though I do not think it will make any difference at all.

Okay thank you for the information, so changing the PC to PlayStation and re-adding with that makes no difference with those settings? It's unlikely to to be honest if it's not working on this version.

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thank you for the information, so changing the PC to PlayStation and re-adding with that makes no difference with those settings? It's unlikely to to be honest if it's not working on this version.

I just tested this with the suggested settings and and sadly it still doesn't work, but the exact same settings work flawlessly on console (for now)

To be clear, I tried with the following settings:

• Ping Assist 0
  • Fast search disabled
  • Strict mode enabled
  • Geo-Filter map distance set to minimum with location set to the middle of the ocean as well as testing with the location placed in random places around the world

I did all of this with the PC being changed to a PlayStation device and also tried with it being set as an Xbox device

Hi All,

Just wanted to clear up a couple of things regarding this and address concerns of the time this is taking.

This is not the intended use of Geo-Filter, the purpose of Geo-Filter is to ensure you are connecting to a low latency server to provide you with the most consistent and competitive connection possible.

This is instead a by-product of Geo-Filter and an exploit of the game. The issue comes when developers, in this case Bungie, change their infrastructure to stop exploits like this. This type of change is out of our control and not of our direct influence. While Fraser has done his very best to find a way to work around this, it's not the intended use nor a core part of the Rapps functionality, and as such is not a priority for our developers.

We understand that this may have been a large influence in the reason some of you purchased a DumaOS powered product, but it has never been an advertised feature of the software and rather a by-product of its capabilities.

Thank you all for your understanding regardless!

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to clear up a couple of things regarding this and address concerns of the time this is taking.

This is not the intended use of Geo-Filter, the purpose of Geo-Filter is to ensure you are connecting to a low latency server to provide you with the most consistent and competitive connection possible.

This is instead a by-product of Geo-Filter and an exploit of the game. The issue comes when developers, in this case Bungie, change their infrastructure to stop exploits like this. This type of change is out of our control and not of our direct influence. While Fraser has done his very best to find a way to work around this, it's not the intended use nor a core part of the Rapps functionality, and as such is not a priority for our developers.

We understand that this may have been a large influence in the reason some of you purchased a DumaOS powered product, but it has never been an advertised feature of the software and rather a by-product of its capabilities.

Hi! But we want to use it to get the most consistent and competitive connection possible, and we just can't

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hi All,

Liam you do understand that a lot of us purchased these routers because of what was advertised regarding Destiny 2 right?

The advertised functionality no longer works on PC anymore and hasn't for more than 9 months.

Obviously I fully understand that being able to play solo is a by-product of Geo-Filter and not the intended use.

What happens in a couple of months time when things change on Xbox and Playstation will we still be waiting another 9 months until you guys finally call it quits on Destiny?

Just rip off the bandaid and tell us all to go away if you are not even going to put any effort in to giving us all something for the money we have spent on your routers.

Personally I have 3 of your routers which will become pointless once things change on console and in all honesty the lack of movement on this in the past 9 months really does not shine a good light on any of your future products, personally I would not recommend any of your products to anyone due to how slow you guys seem to react to issues your paying customers experience.,..

5 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Hi All,

I'm not sure I understand this post. Is the Geo-Filter being able to limit connections to players only within a radius you set NOT an advertised feature? Because that's exactly why I bought mine. I bought it so that I could limit my matchmaking to only contain players within a certain distance of my home location to ensure the best connection. 

Using it to "exploit" the game in order to allow for solo matchmaking is a by-product I agree, but the DumaOS is not the only way to do this, nor the reason I and assumedly many other people purchased it. You can simply set the time back on your console in order to load into activities solo on console, or use the method previously linked in this thread for PC. 

The pessimistic side of me reads this post as an excuse to put Destiny 2 functionality on the backburner, but please understand that this one specific exploit isn't the main reason that the Geo Filter is so desperately wanted. Destiny 2 has MANY connection problems due to matchmaking where it will often place people from the other side of the world in your lobbies for PVP. The Geo Filter is essential to making sure that the only people you play against are located close enough to you that you're not playing against someone on the opposite side of the planet.

If it's too much to ask for a game of Destiny 2's size to have the functionality revisited then I can understand that and would take no as an answer, as honestly a clear cut answer is all I'm after here personally. Reading a straw man argument as the main reason to NOT look into this doesn't provide that answer, especially considering the reason Bungie made these changes wasn't to fix this exploit, it was to prevent DDoS attacks. 

On 12/11/2020 at 11:31 PM, lunafaction said:

I'm not sure I understand this post. Is the Geo-Filter being able to limit connections to players only within a radius you set NOT an advertised feature? Because that's exactly why I bought mine. I bought it so that I could limit my matchmaking to only contain players within a certain distance of my home location to ensure the best connection. 

Using it to "exploit" the game in order to allow for solo matchmaking is a by-product I agree, but the DumaOS is not the only way to do this, nor the reason I and assumedly many other people purchased it. You can simply set the time back on your console in order to load into activities solo on console, or use the method previously linked in this thread for PC. 

The pessimistic side of me reads this post as an excuse to put Destiny 2 functionality on the backburner, but please understand that this one specific exploit isn't the main reason that the Geo Filter is so desperately wanted. Destiny 2 has MANY connection problems due to matchmaking where it will often place people from the other side of the world in your lobbies for PVP. The Geo Filter is essential to making sure that the only people you play against are located close enough to you that you're not playing against someone on the opposite side of the planet.

If it's too much to ask for a game of Destiny 2's size to have the functionality revisited then I can understand that and would take no as an answer, as honestly a clear cut answer is all I'm after here personally. Reading a straw man argument as the main reason to NOT look into this doesn't provide that answer, especially considering the reason Bungie made these changes wasn't to fix this exploit, it was to prevent DDoS attacks. 

I totally agree with you. Destiny has a lot of connection issues and you often have to play with people on the other side of the world ruining the gaming experience. With Netduma I could prevent this, but now since 9 months we're not able to do this and all we get here are excuses. Is even anyone working on this? Few months ago no one could work on this because of the 3.0 firmware update, now what? is it players faults? you should focus on this and clearly say yes we can fix it or no we can't. It's almost a year now...

29 minutes ago, lunafaction said:

A question for Liam and Fraser

From my limited understanding of the Steam Network Sockets system they basically hide the IP of the player by connecting through relays, so would it not be possible to block a specific relay point if it's outside of your set Geo-Filter range? 

Seems we may have lost Liam and Fraser's attention again maybe wait another 9 months?

Surely what lunafaction suggested is possible?

I think that with the addition of crossplay coming to destiny 2 we will see new servers and have a chance at reasserting control over the servers we connect to.
If i were them i'd wait till that was added before having a look and attempting a fix.

7 minutes ago, oRaGaMi said:

I think that with the addition of crossplay coming to destiny 2 we will see new servers and have a chance at reasserting control over the servers we connect to.
If i were them i'd wait till that was added before having a look and attempting a fix.

You do realise that's most likely half a year maybe longer away? Possibly it won't come until next Septembers DLC

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You haven't lost my attention, I brought it up again to the team to see what is going on with the status of the issue.

Good to know Fraser, I hope you can understand some of our frustration regarding this issue.

Maybewhat lunafaction posted above should be possible personally I would just love the option to block anyone from being in my session thats not in my geo-filter

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Saint-14 said:

Good to know Fraser, I hope you can understand some of our frustration regarding this issue.

Maybewhat lunafaction posted above should be possible personally I would just love the option to block anyone from being in my session thats not in my geo-filter

I absolutely understand, thats why I keep pushing for the updates on the matter. I'm not sure if blocking a relay would work, they might just redirect you to another relay anyway if that happens.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Fraser I have tested the v3 beta on my R1 and I am pretty impressed with it and would also like to now test it on my XR500 could you make this happen for me please?

39 minutes ago, Saint-14 said:

Fraser I have tested the v3 beta on my R1 and I am pretty impressed with it and would also like to now test it on my XR500 could you make this happen for me please?

You can find the DumaOS 3.0 Beta for the XR500 on Netgear's forums

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma

On 12/21/2020 at 1:15 PM, Saint-14 said:

Did the v3 beta help at all in regards to the geo filter for you? 

5 hours ago, lunafaction said:

Did the v3 beta help at all in regards to the geo filter for you? 

No change regarding geo-filter on PC with Destiny 2 and the beta firware does low down the GUI and often some areas of the GUI will time out when trying to load and I have to reboot the router to gain aceess, personally I think the R1 is not powerful enough for the current beta version.

I may downgrade if the GUI issues persist enough tro become annoying

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Saint-14 said:

No change regarding geo-filter on PC with Destiny 2 and the beta firware does low down the GUI and often some areas of the GUI will time out when trying to load and I have to reboot the router to gain aceess, personally I think the R1 is not powerful enough for the current beta version.

I may downgrade if the GUI issues persist enough tro become annoying

If you haven't already make sure you've done a factory reset after install to prevent any legacy issues carrying over.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you haven't already make sure you've done a factory reset after install to prevent any legacy issues carrying over.

Can confirm I always do a factory reset after a fw up or downgrade.