Anti bufferbloat 20%

When running pingplotter and saturating my connection using hd videos,  I have to turn my sliders down to 20% on both upload and download, should I really have to throttle that much to stop massive ping spikes? 

I have tried all percentages down in 10's from 100 percent and only at 20 % do I stop getting ping spikes over 50-80ms, 70% and I'm getting spikes in the hundreds.

No difference at all, still all the way down to 20% for best results

Down to 20% .png

100% - 30%.png

Second pic is starting at 100 percent set to Always and slowly going down to about 30 percent, first pic is then all the way down to 20 percent

• Administrators

How strange. Could you take a screenshot of your QoS page please? Want to make sure you have the correct numbers in your Anti-Bufferbloat panel (at 100% they should be your expected full speeds of 75/18).

Also have you added the device that is causing all the congestion to your Traffic Prioritization? If so, could you remove it please.

• 4 months later...

The numbers in the QoS page are 71.8 and 18.1, these numbers are from speedtest.net. I did the speedtest with all QoS disabled. I have also tried putting 75 and 18 in for the speeds.

The only device in my traffic prio is my PS4 and it isnt the PS4 causing the spikes

Try loading your connection in a different way. Might make a difference, might not.

I normally test with speedtest.net for  a number of reasons, I need too many HD video's to load my connection but also using video's doesn't seem to be as reliable. One is that you don't load your connection on the upload side. If I do a speedtest without any sort of anti bufferbloat enabled I get the ping spike only on the upload side. Many ISP's who are selling bundles with IPTV actually prioritize video by themselves so if you try to choke these down, chances are that your ISP in response kills your other traffic to keep the videostream going.

There is many topics around here where firesticks's etc give issues even though everything is correctly set. I believe this is due to the nature of these video's. If you look at data from YT, Netflix etc then these send their data in bursts rather than a constant stream. I find that QoS in the XR500 takes a bit of time to kick in so to say. In a constant stream it handles it just fine, but when you hit it with a mega transfer you get a pingspike at the start of a transfer. Since these video applications send data in bursts, this is just happening over and over again.

What I also like on the speedtest method is that you can verify your setting. I have found that there is inconsistency in DumaOS regarding these settings. Like if I set the base setting lower than my actual connection with ABB off it will completely ignore those and just go to my connection maximum. Also you have to remember that you share bandwith with the rest of your ISP's subscribers. So lets say I set a 500mbit download in the ABB sliders but speedtest returns only 200mbit and I get ping spikes, I know it's a provider issue rather than an issue with my end of the connection. It's very hard to compensate for this unless you go really low in settings.

I used to use DSL reports but since we can't disable DPI i stopped using it and went to pingplotter.

Should i still expect to see ping spikes on pingplotter at the beginning of a download on speedtest.net ? 

Pingplotter is good, just some other way to saturate your connection than video's.

I get a little spike every now and then when I start the speedtest, I think that's the QoS just beeing a hair late reacting.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Also just to make sure, did you do all these tests over a wired connection? What is your physical setup as well? Are ALL devices connected to the router or are some connected to the ISP hub?

All tests done by my PC over a wired connection, wired directly to xr500. All of my devices are connected to the XR500 either over ethernet cable or wifi.

My physical setup is Master socket - Hauwei hg612 - XR500. All cables are fine aswell.

• Administrators

Just looked at a manual for the HG, have you put the XR500 in the DMZ? Also do you have it's Firewall enabled? If so could you disable that please? It's fine to do that as the XR500 has its own Firewall, it could be interfering with packets.

23 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just looked at a manual for the HG, have you put the XR500 in the DMZ? Also do you have it's Firewall enabled? If so could you disable that please? It's fine to do that as the XR500 has its own Firewall, it could be interfering with packets.

Ok well as default the HG612 doesn't come with an interface but it is possible to unlock the device and change settings, I have a default HG612 and a unlocked hg612 ( Incase i brick the unlocked one) So i will have to look in to this and get back to you as im having issues getting back into the unlocked hg612's interface 🙃

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Buster said:

Ok so the firewall is disabled now, am I  right in thinking that its the WAN ip of the xr500 found under internet status that should go in the hg612's DMZ ?

Yes that's right, let us know if it works better after that!

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's right, let us know if it works better after that!

So firewall disabled and wan ip of xr500 in the dmz of hg612.

I also set the xr500's ip to static so it wouldnt change. QoS set to Always.

I tested using youtube hd and hd60fps videos along with Pingplotter whilst moving the sliders down in 5% increments, and there doesnt seem to be any major differences, Still getting ping spikes

56 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it at all better than the 20% plot you posted above? You haven't got bandwidth allocation share excess disabled while doing this have you?

No if anything it is a bit worse at 20% than before, I still get ping spikes at whatever percentage when starting a video in hd/hd60 and then spike again the next time a chunk of video is loaded, share excess is enabled on download and upload

Buster

Are you with BT, EE or Plusnet by any chance?

There's a 72 page thread on the BT forums of people complaining of high latency spikes whenever there's someone streaming video content.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming-Netflix/td-p/1930963 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/08/customers-of-uk-isp-bt-see-multiplayer-lag-spikes-during-streaming.html

I'm with EE, which uses BT's core network & have the same problem :(