So I have had this device for a few months now (maybe 4). Anyway it was fine out of the gate. When I initially had it it was on Verizon FiOS, about 2 months back I switched to Comcast and the initial cut over went great, then about 24 hours later it would not get an IP from the modem. Long story short after a few hours on phone support we did a full reflash of the Firmware and reconfigure and all is well.. kinds of..

Since then I have had to hard code my provider DNS info for the connection to even work. Any time I power cycle the router I then have to power cycle the modem or it will never connect (this happened with the rented and my own bought modem). also when new clients are added to my network they will not show up in the Device Manager until I do a full router reboot.. 

It's currently running XR500 V2.3.2.40 Firmware. Thoughts, suggestions...??

JMack I had this very same issue.. Its not your modem its the router.. Still to this day I have this issue.. My only remedy was to use a different router until it all gets sorted out at some point.. You can try to downgrade your firmware and see if that might help.. But then of course you will lose certain features firmware .40 has.. Hope you have better luck!

Zippy.

• Administrators

So just to be clear - applying a static WAN IP on your XR500 does not allow you to connect. 

If you downgrade back to the last firmware, .32, does it work? https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

My isp won't work with a static IP it'll never connect ever. If I donwgrade the firmware what features will I lose and will I have to reprogram everything all over again?

NetdumaAdmin the Op has a Dynamic IP just like most of us here in the USA.. Most major ISP run this way on residential connections.. Even when I tried this and got it to work it would only last days at best because our address would change.. Have you guys at all figured out the cause of this yet? Its been around for over 6 months if not longer now and still no update on this what so ever..  This is by far the most unstable router ive ever tested or had in my possession.. Some clear communication on this and other issues would be nice! Ive posted in other threads as well and have been told you guys would get back to  us with some update where we stand with these issues but then never hear back.. That was two months ago!

Zippy.

Guest Killhippie

Just to chip in my ISP gives out static IP's in the UK (IDNet) and the router has no issue with connecting, but the American system may be very different to my PPPoE setup with FTTC in the UK.

34 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Just to chip in my ISP gives out static IP's in the UK (IDNet) and the router has no issue with connecting, but the American system may be very different to my PPPoE setup with FTTC in the UK.

Off Topic,whats IDNet like for gaming if you have that package,I have been looking at leetline by Trunk networks which offer similar to ID but a bit cheaper...Thanks

Guest Killhippie
22 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Off Topic,whats IDNet like for gaming if you have that package,I have been looking at leetline by Trunk networks which offer similar to ID but a bit cheaper...Thanks

I don't use the gaming package, tbh I think its not needed, as it is my pings to Europe like Germany are 33ms and to London 7ms on FTTC,the line is great for gaming without that package and bufferbloat without it actually on the XR500 are A down and B up on Thinkbroadband's speed tests.  I would say the traffic priority is only really needed if your exchange is running really hot, standard packages from IDNet are great for gaming without that extra expense. Super smooth even during peak hours. Saying that I'm connected from a zen pop in my local exchange, IDNet do use different suppliers In different areas depending on what's available I  believe. :) 

1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

I don't use the gaming package, tbh I think its not needed, as it is my pings to Europe like Germany are 33ms and to London 7ms on FTTC,the line is great for gaming without that package and bufferbloat without it actually on the XR500 are A down and B up on Thinkbroadband's speed tests.  I would say the traffic priority is only really needed if your exchange is running really hot, standard packages from IDNet are great for gaming without that extra expense. Super smooth even during peak hours. Saying that I'm connected from a Xen pop in my local exchange, IDNet do use different suppliers In different areas depending on what's available  believe. :) 

Cheers. mate good to know and will lokk into them.Thanks

6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Hey Killhippie most cable providers work off this type of dynamic ip here in the US. Not all but a fair share do. They tend to use this dynamic type ip for residential connections. Now if one upgrades to a business connection then you are issued a static ip.. Which imo is what id like.. The downfall to this though is once you obtain a business connection that is static your forced to use there own equipment they provide.. Meaning there modem and there router only.. Ive been tempted to try this just for the heck of it but haven't yet.. There is a extra cost when going to a business connection as well which is another draw back.. If they would offer symmetrical speeds with there business connections then I know I would give it a go!! lol.

Zippy.

Exaclty this, it's a DHCP only connection from the ISP.. Static with an added cost... What is funny is this did not happen when I had Verizon FiOS (also a DHCP connection) and it only started happening on Comcast/Xfinity. really hope it gets fixed soon. 

Unfortunately this appears to be an issue with the router's hardware, which would mean that it's a problem only NETGEAR can solve. This means that only NETGEAR would be able to share any updates regarding solutions they've found.

On that topic, @JMack would you be happy for us to share your email address (and this thread) with NETGEAR so that we can try to work with them to find a solution?

Please do, it's an issue having to reboot my modem also if I have to boot the router. Not to mention the issue I am having now with newly added devices to my netowrk not showing up unto the router is rebooted.. and after using Hybrid VPN I am also seeing issues with the tunnel staying active.. 

• Administrators

Just an idea but does your modem have the ability for you to set a static IP for the router itself? 

How are you disconnecting the VPN once you have finished with it? You're saying the VPN it still actively masking your IP?

I can look to see if this is an option.. Although I doubt it since my router gets an external IP address from my ISP.. 

Well I set up hybrid vpn for one device on my network, it was established and tested from the deivce and my traffic was coming from the expected IP address. Ran some more tests and randomly about an hour later it was getting my ISP IP again.. Went into the router to check the connection and the hybrid vpn page would not load until I rebooted the device again (and the modem) then the connection came back up. I am using NordVPN configured with their OpenVPN settings. 

• Administrators

It'd be in modem/bridge mode now then, but depending on the modem it couldn't hurt to try putting it in router mode, disabling its WiFi, giving the router a static IP then putting that in the DMZ and see if that helps sustain a connection.

Use the block traffic when disconnected option, that'll keep you protected if it goes down and then should allow you to access the page again. Likely would have been able to access using another connected device but not the VPN'd one.

the modem is just a modem not a modem router combo device. It also worked fine with anther provider. 

That was going to be my question. If using that block option will it only affect that one device? I’ll have to keep a closer eye on things now. I did attempt to get to the settings page from three different devices with the same result of it not loading properly. 

Got it, it's enabled so at least I will know when/if it fails again.. If say the VPN cuts out again and that device is disconnected.. will any monitoring services ping it as offline? (I have a hybrid rule setup to allow only two ports one for remote access and one for monitoring that both work perfectly while the VPN is connected using my home DynamicDNS service) If the VPN cuts out and internet access is disabled, will those ports then be seen as offline (meaning my alerts will fire off) or will it sill allow traffic on those ports?

Perfect. That’s what I had hoped. I’ll monitor the vpn connection and hopefully Netgear will have some insight on the main connection issue. 

Any my thoughts on why newly added devices to the network don’t always show up until the device is rebooted.