Weird issues

I've never had NAT issues with R1 nor Xr500 with any Call of Duty. I usually forward ports manually so i am well versed on ports. Lately, last two weeks or so maybe 3 I have been having issues with the PS4 message "Application will suspend in 15 minutes... unable to verify license..."   it's not a huge deal other than the annoyance really but the worrisome part is that at the exact same time frame as that message I am also experiencing a NAT restriction message for chat parties, ones I am already in for quite some time as well as new ones joined. I have been using UPnP for a week now after a hard reset and it is still the same issue. Any ideas?

• Netduma Staff
9 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

I've never had NAT issues with R1 nor Xr500 with any Call of Duty. I usually forward ports manually so i am well versed on ports. Lately, last two weeks or so maybe 3 I have been having issues with the PS4 message "Application will suspend in 15 minutes... unable to verify license..."   it's not a huge deal other than the annoyance really but the worrisome part is that at the exact same time frame as that message I am also experiencing a NAT restriction message for chat parties, ones I am already in for quite some time as well as new ones joined. I have been using UPnP for a week now after a hard reset and it is still the same issue. Any ideas?

Personally, I don't reckon that's anything to do with your ports. I've never seen an issue like this caused by a router; at least not in the three years I've used this forum. This to me sounds like you have some kind of license conflict - things like that could happen if you set another PS4 to be your primary or vice versa. I'd say it's very likely to be a PSN problem.

When i switch to another router both issues go away completely. Something is being blocked briefly. I think it has to do with the filter being on but I hardly ever have it off when I am on the PS4 so I'll have to test it. With the XR500 I see the errors about every 30 minutes. 

12 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

have you tried updating your licenses in the PS4 settings? it is in there somewhere buried but it is there.

Yes, I am one of those guys that rebuilds database and restores license often just because. also it only happens with the xr500. No issues with other routers.  

• Administrators

Check if it works with the Geo-Filter off, if it does then switch back to filtering and look for anything that is blocked, if so allow it and see if it works fine after that.

Something is fubar. Now when I try to find matches the geo filter is somehow blocking all Texas servers yet connecting me to servers outside of the filter range then I get kicked because of the filter. I always keep PA off and strict on. Geo filter on and load the game, used to show the Texas servers, as of 2pm today it doesn't. Immediately after turning off the filter I connect to the Texas servers. I turned everything off and flushed but same issue. Why is the filter allowing servers outside the range?  Why is the filter blocking servers inside the range? This is becoming more trouble than it's worth. 

***Rebooting seems to have fixed the blocked servers in Texas for now***  I hope this hasn't become the norm as the constant resets have anytime there is an issue.

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Keep an eye on that and see if it starts happening consistently. Did disabling fix the original issue?

1 hr later same crap. allows servers outside of filter and will not find Texas server. Also getting NAT issue in chat as well as the game will be suspended... license message again.  All with filter enabled. Disabled does not trigger any of that. 

No I don't see anything showing blocked. But then again it barely shows much anyway. The servers will show up then disappear as well even while connected.  This is very frustrating. Now the damn thing is cutting my speeds to nothing and ADDING bufferbloat.  What the actual F0ck!  I have a speed of 105/10 and I see 120 and 15 easily using my other router and also direct to the modem  without issue or much bufferbloat. I set my QoS to 100/10 and usually it tests at 90's /8-9 with 0 bufferbloat. I assume that would be an A+ with DPI turned off. Now however I am seeing 43/3-4 speeds with 300-400ms of buffer.  This is a fresh reset, 3rd one in 3 days. I'm about to throw this PoS in the trash i guess. I spend more time dickering with these settings than playing. I will be fine for weeks maybe months and then all the sudden without changing a setting everything goes to hell. 

**I've just tested the cables and everything is good to go so I'm at a loss. **

• Administrators

Not to worry - this is what a factory reset is for in case something weird happens like this. Could you factory reset and then get your Geo-Filter setup again how you like it. Should be fine after that from a filtering perspective: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Then see if your same warning messages appear as before. If they do, please try Fraser's suggestion and switch to Spectating Mode and see if they continue.

If you do a factory reset as advised above remember to clear all browser cache before setting up your router again.

8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Not to worry - this is what a factory reset is for in case something weird happens like this. Could you factory reset and then get your Geo-Filter setup again how you like it. Should be fine after that from a filtering perspective: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

Then see if your same warning messages appear as before. If they do, please try Fraser's suggestion and switch to Spectating Mode and see if they continue.

I had mentioned doing this in the post just before yours and it is worse. Now with QoS issues as well.  My line literally performs better on bufferbloat and speed tests without the XR500 even after a hard reset. Also the messages still appear with filter ON and the servers outside of the filter range are still connecting, about every other match, which then kicks me after the fact when it tries to join the lobby. So I guess in reality it half works. It allows the connection outside of my set range but it blocks the connection when joining the actual lobby which gives me a zero for stats and high blood pressure because 2-3 weeks ago all of this was working fine.  This is with strict ON fast search OFF and NO PA.   Also, with filter OFF I see no messages for NAT type restrictions in party chat nor the application will be suspended message. 

I have tried so many scenarios now I am actually having to keep notes. I'm now doing a reset (4th in 4 days now) going to immediately clear browser cache and attempt connections with PA set to 17ms which is my best connection latency and move the filter to the ocean. This worked very well for bo3 but not for ww2 at all. I have tried before with bo4 with no luck it would just connect to servers with 60-100ms regardless. My question is why when I have the filter on and boot the game is there no server cluster showing for Texas when it's clearly there. We had this issue for bo3 way back when for Fing months and we went through all these motions and it was misplaced server that was fixed after a cloud update test that took nearly 2 months AFTER I complained and then a few more people started seeing the same issue, which took 2-3 months. So all in all it was 4-5 months of cloud issues. We were told it would be way faster updates with the new OS. I still see Chicago servers parked in Kansas and Texas servers parked in CA as well as NY occasionally. Also, I was playing the other day with a buddy of mine who is located in the UK. I was in his lobby and we were clearly playing in the UK and the server was showing in Kansas, USA.  

Without a doubt we need a better cloud/server location update system and frequency. 

7 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

If you do a factory reset as advised above remember to clear all browser cache before setting up your router again.

I do this as a normal practice but will give it a go and reset the router for the 4th time in 4 days. Thanks

• Administrators

Are you using DSLReports to test speed/bufferbloat? If so what do you get using speedtest.net? I wouldn't pay attention to the bufferbloat on DSLReports, it'd be pretty easy to tell if that was legitimate as you'd lag a lot with those kind of values. 

The cloud system has/is being reworked and therefore will be much easier for us to keep on top of it, it might be a mis-located server as you say but still shouldn't give you that issue when the filter is on, could you put any mis-located ones here please: 

and then when you have the message vs without the message could you see what server you get please? Might be the one you get when the filter disabled needs to be allowed/whitelisted. Let us know how the factory reset goes.

-4th hard reset. cleared browser cache (chrome) placed filter in the ocean reduced to 111miles no games found in 24 minutes. 

-turned off PS4. turned off filter. moved filter to Texas increased size to only cover most of Texas, PA set to 0. cleared browser cache restarted browser. flushed cloud. waited 5 minutes. booted ps4. now showing texas server cluster. enter into blackout solo.

-first match:  perfect server 17ms ping 30ms latency in game.

-second match: 15 minutes later no settings changed on netduma. server selected in Kansas. OUTSIDE OF FILTER RANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a big stats zero. ping to this server according to                 netduma is 40ms in game latency.  

-third match: no settings changed on netduma. server selected in Kansas. OUTSIDE OF FILTER RANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Another F'ing zero. same bullshit ping 40-43. 

-fourth match:  Texas server.... 17ms ping and perfect gameplay.

Out of those 4 searches alone I took 2 zeros because of the inaccuracy and failure of the filter. It may not mean much to you but to me I play for stats not to compete against others but to see if changes I make offer improvements and chasing my own stats. I cannot have a successful outing if I am constantly fighting against changing variables; server changing from 17ms server to 40 even 85-103ms inside the US, without a geo-filter, based on the terrible matchmaking process in game.  As well as now fighting the tool (netduma) I purchased to combat this terrible matchmaking. The router is now becoming a negative variable due to inconsistency.   

29 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you using DSLReports to test speed/bufferbloat? If so what do you get using speedtest.net? I wouldn't pay attention to the bufferbloat on DSLReports, it'd be pretty easy to tell if that was legitimate as you'd lag a lot with those kind of values. 

The cloud system has/is being reworked and therefore will be much easier for us to keep on top of it, it might be a mis-located server as you say but still shouldn't give you that issue when the filter is on, could you put any mis-located ones here please: 

and then when you have the message vs without the message could you see what server you get please? Might be the one you get when the filter disabled needs to be allowed/whitelisted. Let us know how the factory reset goes.

I'm not adding to the misplaced server list. I did it for years for this very scenario. 2014-2018 only to see the same IDs form my master list still in the wrong location years later from each iteration of CoD. Also it's just too  much hassle, after . I came here for support of a working product with errors on my part, not really for fixing errors from your end. I know that sounds harsh but I just want to play F'ing games in the time I have set aside without messing with the router each and everyday or guessing if my party is going to get zero after sero because of this routers issues and failure to keep up with the game changes/IP changes/server additions. Since I've had the Xr500 It literally has been in a closet more than it's used because of tiny issues with features that worked with R1 and we barely see any of the features that were promised with new OS and the speed of updates is terrible if you're telling me that it's being worked on because I've had this router, well 4 to be exact due to Netgear poor manufacturing of the XR500 , since day one of availability on Amazon and there are still servers misplaced that I personally reported back then in WW2. That's an entire year and half easily.   There are still servers form that time frame being marked as Peer when  simple tracert and geolocation service clearly shows they are owned by major data centers as well as the location of the data center within the host name. So if in fact there are mismarked servers and even auth servers then why is my only security against this some user who is expected to report this info to a forum and cross our fingers that the info gets updated timely and accurately. 

Not trying to be combative at all. Just want to know when are we getting consistency and real answers on these cloud issues and server issues other than it must be me or the game or, we are working on it?  We have been told all of this and more since 2014.  

The only server that I ever see in my map is the auth server located in Oregon or Washington and the server I am connected to sometimes only briefly for the game server. 

Comments like this, "Let us know how the factory reset goes."  are what trigger people with an attention to detail. Are you trolling me to trigger me so you can do away with the true data of your issue or just dumb?  That's a serious question. I have clearly stated I have RESET this router 4 times NOW in 4 days. Now I am sure you're going to hide behind some forum rule that protects passive aggressive BS like that but it's a legit question. I clearly stated I had reset yet you added that. To me that is either stupidity or passive-aggressive beta male BS.  If you didn;t mean anything by it then so be it. But I highly doubt you'd be saddled with a job that requires attention to detail if you were stupid. So...

*** I use various tools to test buffer*** dsl reports is just a crutch tool to start so yes I use it but do not rely on any one tool. And yes I have lag in game even at 17ms when QoS is acting up. micro stutters, rubberbanding, shot reg door opening, item pick up...all delayed.

• Administrators

When you got games outside your radius how did the icons appear? Did they have a dashed circle as though they had been ping assisted?

All I can say is we realise cloud updates need to be more frequent which is why we've put significant time in this year specifically into re-designing the cloud system to make it easier for us to make timely updates. Joseph redid the cloud system and has set up the form to collect any remaining mis-located servers, it's the easiest way since the redo to correct them rather than double check hundreds of potential IDs that may or may not have been moved since launch.

You literally said you were going to factory reset again for the 4th time so I was referring to that specific reset, I wasn't talking about the others as you made it clear they didn't work.

I get your frustrations, the team is expanding so we can deal with the ever increasing work load, we're still a small team but understand that a lot needs to be done hence the developer QA recently.

When those stutters etc happen does the ping change at all on the ping panel?

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you got games outside your radius how did the icons appear? Did they have a dashed circle as though they had been ping assisted?

All I can say is we realise cloud updates need to be more frequent which is why we've put significant time in this year specifically into re-designing the cloud system to make it easier for us to make timely updates. Joseph redid the cloud system and has set up the form to collect any remaining mis-located servers, it's the easiest way since the redo to correct them rather than double check hundreds of potential IDs that may or may not have been moved since launch.

You literally said you were going to factory reset again for the 4th time so I was referring to that specific reset, I wasn't talking about the others as you made it clear they didn't work.

I get your frustrations, the team is expanding so we can deal with the ever increasing work load, we're still a small team but understand that a lot needs to be done hence the developer QA recently.

When those stutters etc happen does the ping change at all on the ping panel?

-the games appear with the symbol that says hey this is outside the radius yet I still connected.  still happening. and after the 4th reset now, QoS is non existent. Speed test bufferbloat or any test for that matter with QoS set to 105/10 still outruns the settings at 120/11. So intermittently it is hosing the connection to fractions of it's raw potential or not even coming into play. I have it set to Always as well as tested at when high priority traffic is detected, no difference. 

-Fair enough, I'm sorry. 

-Technicially I stated between posts from you and big dog that I was testing after a reset, then the Netduma Admin posted about a reset as well. Pushing to  a 4th. Then your comment came in asking to let you know about the reset which I already had. So it felt like trolling or my post was ignored. 

-You don't get my frustrations, you can't.  I have been round and round on this site as well as Netgear's. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Netgear "engineers"  Only to have them send yet another router. I've had working settings in Bo4 for 2-3 months now and out of nowhere the router goes to shit. Then i have to come here and get responses like. "Mine works" or "you must not have it set right"   This router is not a difficult piece of equipment to use. It's basically dumbed down to make it as simple as possible to implement a blackhole based on geo fencing radius as well as QoS. Most users could not even figure out how to set a QoS rule correctly on a CLI based router. And GeoFencing is a state of the art feature in this form, but it has to work efficiently and consistently or it's a source of frustration and might as well not be used. 

-Yes. When it is stuttering my ping is fluctuating in a large way. Also keep in mind there are only two devices on the netduma. My PC to control it and the Ps4. I have another ISP and network for the rest of my house. 

Can someone explain to me why QoS set at 105/10 is running speed tests at 120/11 or higher.

Also, why am I connecting to any server outside of the radius?

I have geofilter set over the Texas servers with 400 miles radius. I have 0 Ping Assist. I have fast search unchecked(never use it once.) strict mode ON. Auto Ping ON  These servers it connects to are internap servers that are somehow poorly routed Texas servers (40ms+ when vultr and others are 17ms to me) but the map has them located in a cluster that also is misplaced mixture of Texas and Illinois servers that have been there since launch. 

Just a note, the disappearing servers INSIDE the filter range have been happening for quite some time, this time. I see posts as far back as November for the exact same issue. Actually several people have complained about it. No resolution. 

I also have the same issues as what the OP has stated. And what he has said is so very much similar to mine.. I gave up posting about these as well because we were getting nowhere and frustrations were just building between everyone. Im not here to bash anyone but just to get to the bottom of these issues.  The only reason im posting at this point is because of what exactly the Op has stated. His issues are beyond a coincidence as mine. And just how he has explained them is a mirror image as mine.. And not just the Geo filter either but even now how his QoS is acting strange.. I could add to this but I wont..  Like ive stated before there is something breaking down behind the scenes and things like the Geo filter, QoS, ect become dysfunctional.. 

Zippy.

• Administrators

Could you downgrade back one firmware please to .32: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Do things then function as expected?

If yes, could you upgrade back to .40 using this hotfix firmware: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Same to you @Zippy - unless you already tried this?

Installed .32 and after reboot as well as a hard reset I am unable to grab an IP from the ISP.  Weird. Not a mac change so why.  I will take the modem down for a bit and bring it all back up and see what happens. 

So I just decided to not wait and plug the cable from the modem directly into the ps4 and it grabbed an Ip immediately so something is fubar with the router.