Weird issues

We're aware of an issue where denied servers aren't being blocked, we're currently testing to recreate the issue and determine the cause.

I've never heard of previously unpinged servers suddenly being marked as allowed, that definitely shouldn't happen. 

It is. They are being whitelisted somewhere but not locally. I've had 10 of them just in the last 2 days. I've even deleted my entire list and reset the router just to make sure. Somebody has poo-pooed the cloud.

Today getting Moderate NAT with the same rules as I've always used in port forwarding and this "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App"  error.  It seems to be something new daily with. 

• Administrators
On 5/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, stalker4hire- said:

It is. They are being whitelisted somewhere but not locally. I've had 10 of them just in the last 2 days. I've even deleted my entire list and reset the router just to make sure. Somebody has poo-pooed the cloud.

Nothing changed on the cloud so this won’t be the reason. Was Hybrid VPN being applied to your gaming device at the time?

On 5/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, stalker4hire- said:

Today getting Moderate NAT with the same rules as I've always used in port forwarding and this "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App"  error.  It seems to be something new daily with. 

What functions were you doing on the router at the time? This message isn’t anything to be worried about necessarily, it’s an auto pop up when something is just taking more than 30 seconds to complete e.g. flush cloud

Regarding the FLUSH CLOUD button: This function usually takes a bit longer than 30 seconds, but the router is set to pop up an error message if anything takes longer than 30 seconds. This error message can be safely ignored, and you can just refresh the page.

When you say that servers are being automatically whitelisted, do you mean that they are appearing in your Allow/Deny list, or do they just appear on the map?

If they are appearing in your allow/deny list, this is unusual and i'd like to see some screenshots or a video of this happening.

If they are appearing only on the map, then they might actually be authentication servers. We automatically whitelist authentication servers on our end, and this setting cannot be changed. In a future version of the software we are thinking of hiding the authentication servers from the map as default as the current method can be confusing.

4 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Regarding the FLUSH CLOUD button: This function usually takes a bit longer than 30 seconds, but the router is set to pop up an error message if anything takes longer than 30 seconds. This error message can be safely ignored, and you can just refresh the page.

When you say that servers are being automatically whitelisted, do you mean that they are appearing in your Allow/Deny list, or do they just appear on the map?

If they are appearing in your allow/deny list, this is unusual and i'd like to see some screenshots or a video of this happening.

If they are appearing only on the map, then they might actually be authentication servers. We automatically whitelist authentication servers on our end, and this setting cannot be changed. In a future version of the software we are thinking of hiding the authentication servers from the map as default as the current method can be confusing.

-I've never had this issue before when flushing the cloud, new to me, and it's always taken longer than 30 seconds.

-Saying I have the filter ON, always as it's a dedicated line to my gaming devices, and the servers I'm joining will appear as either Clearly marked DENY symbol, no symbol even though they're on the List as Deny or Allow, or they will even appear as ALLOW even though they are not on the list.  I have reset this thing and rebuilt my extensive ALLOW/DENY list several times over in the last few weeks and the results are the same.  Also I clear my browser cache often so i'm at a loss.  Since the filter pretty much decides willy nilly to block AFTER it already connects to dedis outside of the filter range and then gives me a big old ZERO as if I left the match since it decided to work after it allowed a blocked or outside of PA or even outside of the filter range altogether, it pretty much is useless.  Literally out of 10 matches I will get maybe 2-4 that are inside the filter and the rest are ZEROS because of the filter choosing a server outside of the range for whatever reason. Also it is intermittent, last night it worked pretty good, I only got maybe 3 zeros because of the filter but still that's unacceptable. If it's a geofence then what is allowing crap to get through.  Last night PA is off and has been since last reset. I am NOT on VPN and the area is directly over the top of known dedicated server bank in Texas.  The Netduma is literally passing over allowed and within range of filter servers of about 20+ IPs to allow servers well outside of range and some even blocked in the DENY list. It's getting very frustrating to have to 'play' with this router more than I play the game. Settings should remain consistent from day to day. Once it works it should always work for that game barring a huge overhaul in the gaming network infrastructure, but I can prove or disprove that with the duma as a tool. 

-I've already sent several screens of servers that are clearly marked as DENIED and even appear as the symbol for a DENIED server yet I connect to them outside of the filter range. I'm not going to sent screens for the next year back and forth, I've done that upon request earlier in this thread. I'm looking for a resolution for something that is happening in bits and pieces to several in other threads. 

-I know the difference between Auth servers. These are not. They are servers that I have ID'd other times, kept a side list of and they have been blocked yet the filter is not blocking them. The filter is slow for some reason.  It takes so long for it to ID the server and cross check it against my list that I can literally turn the filter off and stay in the game but that defeats the purpose of having the geo filter block them, well supposed to. 

Just to be clear on my term 'ZERO' That means I am taking a loss in the game due to the geofilter malfunction.

• Administrators

I'm not sure what more I could say on this as I can see that your issues are not related to settings and you do clearly know how to use the router. I've got an idea I'll run past the team on this.

Fraser Exactly the same issues starker is having has been the very same ive been having..  The Geo Filter sometimes works and then for whatever reason it quits.. I have no idea why this is but it happens. Granted ive got other issues ive noted as well but I see way to many similarities for this to be just a coincident.. Ive now reached out for help from other means to see if this can get sorted and other issues ive encountered. My goal is just to find out if Netgears firmware is the cause of this or if its your OS.. Since this router has your OS laid on top of Netgears firmware there could be easily an issue from Netgears side that breaks down and causes this.. Ive tested a lot of routers and never have I seen anything like this before.. Who knows maybe I got a bad router.. Time will tell I guess... Thanks!

Zippy.

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure what more I could say on this as I can see that your issues are not related to settings and you do clearly know how to use the router. I've got an idea I'll run past the team on this.

We've got to get a fix for this. It's a router breaking issue, w/o a working, reliable geofilter then why else would I buy the router? ya know.

Just now it started, out of nowhere , trying to connect to servers well outside my filter range. These particular servers are a new cluster of Internap routed servers worldwide that are misplaced from EU and US alike all showing in Kansas, USA. 

-The first server it connects me to it, and the game loads me into the lobby and disconnects me with lobby unavailable error counting as a 0 kill loss. This server was NOT in my ALLOW/DENY list at all. 

-The second server is actually correctly placed in Texas but is a really crappy connection; lag, ping spikes of 100ms..., Internap Crap is what most are labelled. This server is clearly marked in my allow/deny  list,  and has been for at least 2 days now as DENY, yet the filter doesn't even recognize this for approx. 5 minutes.  I connect and get 3 kills before the geofilter decides to disconnect me. The server is custom ID'd/labelled as Internap 10, this is the same as the server in my list that has been Denied over and over.  It's not an issue of the filter not being applied correctly either. My filter rarely is OFF as well as the first 2-3 matches were filtered and surprisingly correctly joined within the parameters set; allow/deny and filter radius. 

Same message, lobby/game unavailable. 

This is really , really, really super frustrating. I want to battle enemies not my router. 

😡

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Zippy said:

Fraser Exactly the same issues starker is having has been the very same ive been having..  The Geo Filter sometimes works and then for whatever reason it quits.. I have no idea why this is but it happens. Granted ive got other issues ive noted as well but I see way to many similarities for this to be just a coincident.. Ive now reached out for help from other means to see if this can get sorted and other issues ive encountered. My goal is just to find out if Netgears firmware is the cause of this or if its your OS.. Since this router has your OS laid on top of Netgears firmware there could be easily an issue from Netgears side that breaks down and causes this.. Ive tested a lot of routers and never have I seen anything like this before.. Who knows maybe I got a bad router.. Time will tell I guess... Thanks!

Zippy.

We'll work with stalker first, see if we can get his issues sorted and find out what the cause is and then go from there.

14 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

We've got to get a fix for this. It's a router breaking issue, w/o a working, reliable geofilter then why else would I buy the router? ya know.

Just now it started, out of nowhere , trying to connect to servers well outside my filter range. These particular servers are a new cluster of Internap routed servers worldwide that are misplaced from EU and US alike all showing in Kansas, USA. 

-The first server it connects me to it, and the game loads me into the lobby and disconnects me with lobby unavailable error counting as a 0 kill loss. This server was NOT in my ALLOW/DENY list at all. 

-The second server is actually correctly placed in Texas but is a really crappy connection; lag, ping spikes of 100ms..., Internap Crap is what most are labelled. This server is clearly marked in my allow/deny  list,  and has been for at least 2 days now as DENY, yet the filter doesn't even recognize this for approx. 5 minutes.  I connect and get 3 kills before the geofilter decides to disconnect me. The server is custom ID'd/labelled as Internap 10, this is the same as the server in my list that has been Denied over and over.  It's not an issue of the filter not being applied correctly either. My filter rarely is OFF as well as the first 2-3 matches were filtered and surprisingly correctly joined within the parameters set; allow/deny and filter radius. 

Same message, lobby/game unavailable. 

This is really , really, really super frustrating. I want to battle enemies not my router. 

😡

I believe Alex has opened a PM with you in order to work through this further.

19 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We'll work with stalker first, see if we can get his issues sorted and find out what the cause is and then go from there.

I believe Alex has opened a PM with you in order to work through this further.

So did I just get high handed?  His suggestion via PM was to downgrade then upgrade which you and 'admin' have already suggested way earlier in this very thread. Or, contact Netgear for a replacement.  That's an issue. This would make replacement #4 and this last router is over a year old...  I was a day one purchase in the US from Amazon and now I feel like I am getting set aside. 

Sorry it pasted the wrong Quote portion. I don't feel like fixing it. 

Yea that's a FUCKING joke.  Call Netgear LOL.  So between 7:58am CST  and 8:35am I have gotten disconencted twice, transferred 4 times cause apparently they can;t use their phone system correctly to send someone to the right dept. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy about their technical aptitude now for sure! Only to hear that "just to let you know, here at Netgear we honor the first router purchase date..."  WTF?!?!?!  So my first router came in January 2018 DOA, Second router got replaced for R-apps issues, wifi drops, and random unschedule/unsolicited reboots, Thrid router replaced over mislabeled ports and wifi drops still. Now here we are on router number 4 that was delivered to me July 2018, and they are holding me to the first date which they didn't even replace, Amazon did....  I'm at a loss man. This is totally fucked up. I have literally spent countless hours troubleshooting their/your broken shit only to be fucked over hard \. I will NOT buy another netgear or netduma product if this is how you treat long standing customers.  I have been around since R1... I found the flower/QoS slider bug.  Just wow. 

Paul expert id 46468
5/31/2019 7:58am cst
reading s/n 5B81835EXXXXX
hung up on me
------------------------------------------
5/31/2019 7:59am cst
reached paul again.
placed on hold after announcing myself and contact number in case of disconnect, heard music then beep hung up again.
------------------------------------------
5/31/2019 8:02am cst
call number 2 in queue, on hold music. 
new case number 41317609
case referred to gaming router dept.
hold
misrouted to business support

transfer transfer transfer
transfer number 4
Mel answers

• Administrators

Sorry about that, it wasn't my suggestion to do that. I've talked further internally with the team regarding this so I will await their response to my recommended action. Do you have any spare routers you could use by chance?

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sorry about that, it wasn't my suggestion to do that. I've talked further internally with the team regarding this so I will await their response to my recommended action. Do you have any spare routers you could use by chance?

I do have other routers but there is no point in gaming at a disadvantage. I've been using Netduma since 2014? 2015 easily. I'm not playing on servers with 80-100ms ping when there is a server basically across the street that I know is 17-22ms. I just won't play and spend my time contacting consumer protection agencies against Netgear I suppose. This is a main feature of the router that is absolutely not working for users. Sure you can say it's isolated but that's a relative term. Hell everything is isolated, we are gamers who expect the best performance, and some of us are in our 40's close to 50's, we know what we want and the value of our dollar. That being said we also know what failure to perform on that dollar looks like. We're not all dumb kids pushing buttons hoping to rage on Timmy no thumbs. 

Sorry to curse Fraser but I feel strongly that some of Alex' responses are spur of the moment and not at all in tune with the situation of each individual thread let alone the obvious similarities between some of these posted known issues. He needs to either take time and read or simply stay out of it. You can't get from A-Z by skipping B,C, D...  you will always end up bakc at the skip. Always.

There are similar posted issues going back as far as November of last year, maybe even further. That's, at least, 6 months of issues for a game that has a 12 month life cycle. People can call me childish or say I'm whining or whatever but for a device that revolves solely around a working geofilter to stake most of its claimed advertising, that is very poor performance. Yes the game is broken in many ways. Yes I am a whining tit bag. Still doesn't negate the fact of the proven time line for the amount of issues VS. actual resolutions. 

Please send reinforcements. 

• Administrators

I was just checking as my suggestion might require use of another router, totally understand you wouldn't want to use it ideally. I don't believe your issues are due to misconfigurations or anything like that, I think you may have a legitimate bug so my suggestion to the team reflects that, I'll let you know as soon as I have feedback from them.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:39 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

I was just checking as my suggestion might require use of another router, totally understand you wouldn't want to use it ideally. I don't believe your issues are due to misconfigurations or anything like that, I think you may have a legitimate bug so my suggestion to the team reflects that, I'll let you know as soon as I have feedback from them.

What is your suggestion? I'm game. 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:39 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Today I went through my long list of deny and allow.  I traced out that all of the mislocated and poorly routed servers that are supposed to show in Texas, but are terrible performance wise, all share a common gateway hop handing off from cogent to PSInet.  I remember seeing this name on a few servers at launch. Any rate, I created a rule to hand off traffic from my edge router to the Xr500. I used the setup as follows, Modem>edge router>netduma>>ps4& pc.  Setting it up this way allowed me to blackhole route for the aforementioned gateway with the packet issues and high latency then dropping all packets to this destination. I have rebooted all devices several times and played 10 matches so far.  It takes some time to find a match but each match has been within my geofilter radius as well as within my acceptable ping numbers of 22ms and under.  Time will tell.  I see quite a few posts now from all over the world with very similar issues. Servers within their radius being passed over and pooer choice servers and even deny/blocked servers being chosen only to be blocked after joining the waiting lobby.  I read one from around May where you guys had issues inline with my own on a XR700 and told the person you had found the issue and forwarded it to Netgear.  Would this issue be the same?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

What is your suggestion? I'm game. 

Not something I could discuss yet as involves input from the team, I've asked for an update as I believe they may have discussed it internally this week.

5 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

Today I went through my long list of deny and allow.  I traced out that all of the mislocated and poorly routed servers that are supposed to show in Texas, but are terrible performance wise, all share a common gateway hop handing off from cogent to PSInet.  I remember seeing this name on a few servers at launch. Any rate, I created a rule to hand off traffic from my edge router to the Xr500. I used the setup as follows, Modem>edge router>netduma>>ps4& pc.  Setting it up this way allowed me to blackhole route for the aforementioned gateway with the packet issues and high latency then dropping all packets to this destination. I have rebooted all devices several times and played 10 matches so far.  It takes some time to find a match but each match has been within my geofilter radius as well as within my acceptable ping numbers of 22ms and under.  Time will tell.  I see quite a few posts now from all over the world with very similar issues. Servers within their radius being passed over and pooer choice servers and even deny/blocked servers being chosen only to be blocked after joining the waiting lobby.  I read one from around May where you guys had issues inline with my own on a XR700 and told the person you had found the issue and forwarded it to Netgear.  Would this issue be the same?

Hmm that is really interesting, good catch, please keep us updated on how this continues. So ISP routing could be leading to issues that are unexplainable, doesn't seem to be too common thankfully. Do you have a link to the specific topic you're referring to? (I come across a lot of topics)

Today my hybrid VPN decides it's not going to work with PS4 pro.  It's fine with my PC, connection is good and stable but when the PS4 is added it cannot get past Internet connection any longer.  It just worked yesterday.... so tired of inconsistencies with this thing.  It would be one thing if I didn't understand how it's SUPPOSED to work but I do.  I can use the exact same config and setup from day to day and get totally different results. On a good note, adding the block to that gateway for the bad servers in Texas has helped keep me finding matches on the good servers. At first I thought the block was killing my ps4 connection but no difference when it is removed from blacklist.

9 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Is it working now?

Hybrid VPN is. Geo-Filter is NOT

I rolled back to V2.3.2.22 to see if it would help the main issue with servers outside the filter range being joined incorrectly.  No luck there. Out of every 10 searches I get approx 2-3 servers taht are inside the filter range. The rest are outside, it allows it to connect even though it shouldn't. What I am seeing today is a new batch of IDs that aren't showing IP addresses so I cannot create another block rule or even geo-locate or tracert them. 

So this is weird. Today our ISP had everyone in town down for upgrade to the nodes. When it came back up we all had to reboot our modems for a fresh reconnect and IP pull.  My Netduma has taken a shit.  I have rebooted it several times and now all I am getting is R-app is taking longer than normal.  I was simply trying to get connected to the internet and pull those IDs for you and it won't do anything but spit out R-apps error over and over. This is F'ing laughable man. Over a year with issue after issue on weird firmware problems and a sometimes functioning UPnP  and/or port forwards and now geofilter failures and this R-apps... the sad part is Netgear straight up said I'm fucked and they won't even talk to me again without purchasing extended warranty!  WTH guys ?!? I'm completely floored here. I didn't build this router nor it's firmwares so why am I having to pay additional to get them to function?  I've put in enough troubleshooting time to pay for 5 routers worth of hourly labor easily.   Well Fraser I guess when this thing decides to run I will get those IDs.....

I feel like there must be some variable here we're missing. You've had so many replacement routers but problems occur with every one of them. That failure rate is definitely not this high.

Maybe you have some weird power surges in your house? Is the router connected directly to the wall socket or to an extender? Are you using the right kind of power adapter?