Weird issues

16 minutes ago, stalker4hire- said:

Installed .32 and after reboot as well as a hard reset I am unable to grab an IP from the ISP.  Weird. Not a mac change so why.  I will take the modem down for a bit and bring it all back up and see what happens. 

So I just decided to not wait and plug the cable from the modem directly into the ps4 and it grabbed an Ip immediately so something is fubar with the router. 

Exactly the results as Id had before.. Router refuses to obtain an IP from my ISP.. It is the router.. Nothing else... Have you tried the latest hotfix at all?  Curious to see your results on that.. I currently do not have my XR500 hooked up and want to see if there is any positive results from this hotfix before going through this over and over.. I have spent more time fiddling with this router then gaming.. Good luck!

Zippy.

8 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you downgrade back one firmware please to .32: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Do things then function as expected?

If yes, could you upgrade back to .40 using this hotfix firmware: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Same to you @Zippy - unless you already tried this?

Ive tried everything you have mentioned except the current hotfix.. I was kind of waiting to see what others have for results on this before proceeding..  Currently I do not have my XR500 hooked up any longer to my network with its current issues and performance problems. And I haven't had it hooked up for sometime now.. When I get some free time to spare I may give it ago..  I will definitely report back when I do..

Zippy.

After 2 resets it accepted an IP from ISP modem. On version .32 I set everything up. Added the Playstation to the filter waited a few minutes with it Enabled and booted the game. No issues, OPEN NAT etc... all good so far. Got into blackout, waited another 2 minutes in the main menu. First search out of the gate with the filter set to 311 miles in the center of Texas and it tries to connect to a Texas server outside of the filter range that is pinging at 17ms. Almost as if it was working with 17ms Ping Assist from my very old config that worked well for a few months. The problem is, this firmware has no PA. So why did it connect outside the filter range AND why is this server still showing as East Coast?  This is a server I reported over a year ago in WW2. It is an exact match from my list. 

I feel that until you guys get the IPs for these servers sorted it will always be an issue from time to time. QoS is not working well. It either is harshly reducing or not reducing at all on bandwidth. This is with only 2 devices and sliders set at 70/70. It will reduce to less than half and sometimes not at all. I can move it to 50% and it will still speedtest at 120Mbps. Then the next go around it will speed test at 31Mbps.  It makes no difference if I have it set to 'when high priority traffic is detected' or 'Always.' 

Resets always remind me and I always mention, we need a better system for our allow/deny lists.  All that hard work goes to shit with these required resets that seem to be the norm everytime the routers decide to do what they want vs. what they were designed to do. 

My internet is fine with another router and my speeds do not fluctuate with other routers. If I set it to 50/5 FQ_Codel down/up QoS with my edge router it will consistently test at 45-48/7-8 with maybe 1-3ms of buffer on the either side if at all.  Same if I set it at 110/10 I see 108/ 8-9Mbps.

I don't know what else to do with this thing. It was working okay until the last few weeks. 

Another thing worth mentioning is during this another noticeable difference is the time it takes to ping a device to ID it has increased and sometimes never is able to ID. 

I just tried a second time and still connecting to that same ID after a long search and it is outside of the filter as well as mislocated. 

4d68440f05ec979c

This was reported by me over a year ago as well as November 2018 by another member.

• Administrators

So it's connecting but shown as blocked like your last screenshot? It's perhaps using the whitelisted server to connect you for some reason. I think there might be something weird happening with the communication between modem and router, especially given your speeds. Apologies if asked before but what is your exact physical setup? Including if you're using VLAN, PPPoE or IPv6. Whatever other router you've been testing with can you take the MAC address from that and set the XR500 to that MAC address please.

Arris SB8200> XR500> 1-PS4 Pro & 2-PC

Simple connection, IPv4 DHCP over Hybrid-fiber Coax. Modem will 'learn' 2-3 MAC adds without issue. I do however clear the info between swaps only having to allow for 10 minutes between reboots of the modem itself seems to clear it. 

I will clone the MAC of the other routers and see what results I get. I have edge pro, and R7000 to test with. I have R1 as well. With the same issues.

With the issue I mentioned beofre, I used to be able to click on my own icon in the map when speedtesting and ID myself, since the slow down of that feature on both R1 and XR500 I cannot. 

In the case of " It's perhaps using the whitelisted server to connect you for some reason."   Why? 

If so then, why are others having the same issue?  I've read several posts very similar to mine as well as had PMs about my post from people with the exact issue or related issue(s).

My setup is super basic so why all the issues?  In all reality if Activision were to ever adopt the server selection setup of BF1 I wouldn't need the geo-filter. My buffer is low anyway and my network isn't shared with other users either. 

Another thing I didn't mention, to not complicate the post,  is my other ISP is a VDSL provider routed to Chicago. If I swap my gaming setup to that ISP I see the same issues only with Illinois based servers vs. Texas. So the issue follows the Xr500/R1.  It seemingly blocks servers that are within my range and starts allowing servers outside my range. 

• Administrators

Let us know regarding the MAC, its a long shot but worth a try.

I'm not sure how you clicked yourself as it won't show you on the Geo-Filter, how did you manage that? 

That would be a case of the game detecting you're unable to connect to a server and so perhaps bridging you to a server. I've seen it happen on other games before but not on CoD so that would be a new one if that was the case. 

I can't explain why these issues are happening as all the settings seem to be correct, I will ask a developer to comment to see if they can identify something I can't.

No dice. I thought it was good but after 4 matches of solo I had a buddy join me who;s inside the filter range and it tried to join Kansas mislocated IDs twice and Atlanta twice. So I had to turn it off to even get a lobby.  Get this though. As soon as I turned OFF the filter, immediately it connects to Texas for us.  This is gone beyond an annoyance, if I can;t rely on the filter then the router is worthless to me.   That's 4 zero stat games in a row due to it joining lobbies outside of the set filter range. At least without the filter I can play the lobbies even if they round-robin locations form match to match. What a let down. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Let us know regarding the MAC, its a long shot but worth a try.

I'm not sure how you clicked yourself as it won't show you on the Geo-Filter, how did you manage that? 

That would be a case of the game detecting you're unable to connect to a server and so perhaps bridging you to a server. I've seen it happen on other games before but not on CoD so that would be a new one if that was the case. 

I can't explain why these issues are happening as all the settings seem to be correct, I will ask a developer to comment to see if they can identify something I can't.

I don't understand why it would even remotely think I am unable to connect with filter on but immediately connect to the very server location I want when filter is removed. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Whenever I run a network/speed test I always see the icon for the PSN server as well as myself. Always have. I used to be able to ID myself. 

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, stalker4hire- said:

No dice. I thought it was good but after 4 matches of solo I had a buddy join me who;s inside the filter range and it tried to join Kansas mislocated IDs twice and Atlanta twice. So I had to turn it off to even get a lobby.  Get this though. As soon as I turned OFF the filter, immediately it connects to Texas for us.  This is gone beyond an annoyance, if I can;t rely on the filter then the router is worthless to me.   That's 4 zero stat games in a row due to it joining lobbies outside of the set filter range. At least without the filter I can play the lobbies even if they round-robin locations form match to match. What a let down. 

I don't understand why it would even remotely think I am unable to connect with filter on but immediately connect to the very server location I want when filter is removed. 

Whenever I run a network/speed test I always see the icon for the PSN server as well as myself. Always have. I used to be able to ID myself. 

I cannot think why that would happen at all, that's really strange. I've never seen the ability to ping yourself ever, it shouldn't be possible, perhaps that's related. While we wait for a developer response you could try changing the console to a PC in the Device Manager and using an alternative service and see if it performs better in that scenario.

I've always been able to see my own icon on the map when running a speedtest from PS settings. I used to be able to click on the icon and it would show my IP and ID. 

On 5/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Zippy said:

Exactly the results as Id had before.. Router refuses to obtain an IP from my ISP.. It is the router.. Nothing else... Have you tried the latest hotfix at all?  Curious to see your results on that.. I currently do not have my XR500 hooked up and want to see if there is any positive results from this hotfix before going through this over and over.. I have spent more time fiddling with this router then gaming.. Good luck!

Zippy.

I have yet to move from .32.  I had tried the hotfix but was on .40 when the issues came about. I updated to the hotfix from there. I may try to update from .32 to the hotfix directly but will wait on dev I suppose.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Was it a peer icon right where you live? Did it give a local IP or your public IP?

It would be a peer icon but when i selected it it used to ping it and populate the normal info, Host name/IP, ID ping, etc... Now it won't do that, it tried but it never populates the info. In the past my ID was outside of my filter range and I would have to add myself in order to find servers is how I knew it would do show the info. That was the 1st and 2nd Xr500 after that something was added that allowed me to find servers without adding myself to my Allow/Deny list. 

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That isn’t how that should be functioning so I’m quite surprised by that. On your modem do you have any configuration options at all?

That's how it's always worked for me as far as the peer icon showing up when I speed test. I'm not sure what to say I didn't design the filter, I just try use it. I do find it weird that nobody else sees their own icon on the map with a PSN network/speedtest. I have a hunch on my setup from this ISP that may explain it.  I need to ask @Zippy about his setup as well. 

No, I can see the stats for the Upstream and Downstream but no options, it's just a basic modem. 

The cable modem hands out a private IP that is then translated to a Public IP.  Could that cause an issue with the geo filter?  Idon't know why it would change all of the sudden or why the filter would start filtering out servers inside my radius and also trying to connect to servers outside of my radius at the same time... 

12 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That isn’t how that should be functioning so I’m quite surprised by that. On your modem do you have any configuration options at all?

Here Fraser, just so you can see it for yourself. This is a speedtest it has always performed this way. The only difference is before this issue started I used to be able to select that icon that is a representation of my location and it would ID me and give my details just as if I was selecting a friend from the chat party to add to the allow list. 

PSN speed test (2).png

• Administrators

What is your hunch? 

It's possible that it could but it would be a problem right from the off I would have thought, that might explain why you see yourself on the Geo-Filter. Do you have any spare modems you could test with to see if you get the same experiences?

I'm unsure at this point. To answer your question completely from earlier, I would see my public IP. 

I had zero issues with bo3, and after the release fiasco for ww2 I had zero issues other than I would have to add myself to the allow list since it appears outside of my normal filtered area. I could always ping myself, see myself, and see my public IP. Somewhere along the way I didn't have to add myself to the allow list, it just worked. When blackout dropped the servers were still all over the place and the filter did not work at all. Then after updates from Netduma and Activision/Treyarch it started working flawlessly for my filter area. This lasted about 3-4 months maybe longer. Then out of nowhere it started to connect to server outside of my range that were clearly marked as denied, as well as, seemingly ignoring/blocking/denying servers that were inside the range. Also the NAT messages with party chat and the PSN messages about application suspension...verfiy license. The filter is slower also. Slow to ID items. Servers appear then disappear, servers inside my filter range will not show up when others do. Something has thrown a major flaw into the geofilter function for quite a few people on this board. It's the only reason to purchase this router and if it's not working as intended for everyone that really blows.

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Really strange, thanks for all the information, it's really useful. I can't think why this would happen so I'll wait for a developer to respond if possible.

Hopefully we can get this resolved. The issue seems to encompass quite a few other issues I see scattered throughout the board so maybe fixing this will cure a lot of other peoples issues as well. 

I am currently "testing" for the next hour or two with the filter OFF for the messages and party chat issues. 

Yea something is not right on this router. I spent an 1hr playing with the filter off. No issues. No messages about NAT restrictions in party chat, no issues with application to suspend in 15 minutes.., Finding Texas servers within seconds. The only downside is every other match was round-robined to Florida, Georgia, or New Jersey. All of which are 50+ms ping and in game latency of 65-85ms. Trash for me.

I shutdown the PS4. Flushed Cloud. Turned Filter ON. Reboot ps4, start game. Search and Expanding search for 15 minutes before it finally connects to a server that is not only outside the filter range and marked accordingly it's also on my Deny list. Of course it kicks me and that's a Zero for the day. 

This router is no different than any other router on the market without a consistently working GeoFilter.  

Sorry to keep posting but I am providing more info.  I upgraded to the new hotfix from .32 as suggested even though the problem was still present in .32.

Why is it that some people have no issue using PA only like I used to in Bo3?  I have never been able to use PA ONLY since it came to this router yet some people do as well as staff have used it in other threads as a test of the filter. 

I am currently sitting here with Filter ON, PA set to 17ms and filter circle place din the ocean.  I am also pinging a Dallas server manually from my allow list that is pinging at 17ms....  

I'm sure someone will say maybe the allow list is complicating things... but why?  It's an ALLOW list.   Going on 22 minutes now searching and expanding search.......... UNABLE TO FIND MATCH at this time 

1 hour ago, stalker4hire- said:

Sorry to keep posting but I am providing more info.  I upgraded to the new hotfix from .32 as suggested even though the problem was still present in .32.

Why is it that some people have no issue using PA only like I used to in Bo3?  I have never been able to use PA ONLY since it came to this router yet some people do as well as staff have used it in other threads as a test of the filter. 

I am currently sitting here with Filter ON, PA set to 17ms and filter circle place din the ocean.  I am also pinging a Dallas server manually from my allow list that is pinging at 17ms....  

I'm sure someone will say maybe the allow list is complicating things... but why?  It's an ALLOW list.   Going on 22 minutes now searching and expanding search.......... UNABLE TO FIND MATCH at this time 

17ms is pretty low.  It may temporarily go above 17ms preventing you from connecting to the server.  I would suggest raising the PA setting to 30ms (or 40ms) and trying again.  I am strictly using PA to find matches in COD BO4 and it works better for me that using the Geofilter.

• Administrators

Dillys explanation is most likely correct for that scenario. 

When you boot up the game for the first time do you have your Geo-Filter set with that server within your radius? If so do you see all the servers pop up before you enter the lobby? Are the ones outside your radius blocked and inside allowed including the one you want?

4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

17ms is pretty low.  It may temporarily go above 17ms preventing you from connecting to the server.  I would suggest raising the PA setting to 30ms (or 40ms) and trying again.  I am strictly using PA to find matches in COD BO4 and it works better for me that using the Geofilter.

I'm literally watching the server or list of servers I have in the allow list ping at 17ms flat for 20 minutes while the filter is not allowing a connection.  I've tested it as far as 30ms and it is the same outcome. No connections whatsoever. Yea I used to ONLY use the PA with the R1 so I'm pretty familiar. 

I appreciate the help though.