Weird issues

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Dillys explanation is most likely correct for that scenario. 

When you boot up the game for the first time do you have your Geo-Filter set with that server within your radius? If so do you see all the servers pop up before you enter the lobby? Are the ones outside your radius blocked and inside allowed including the one you want?

I've clearly displayed things you say it shouldn't be doing but is; showing my own icon during PSN speedtest, joining servers outside the active filter, blocking/ignoring servers inside the filter as well as on the allow list.  I'm not sure why we are now swinging back to the idea that this is a user issue. There are several posts with the same theme of filter issues.

I always have my setting in the router setup before I start the game on the ps4. For testing purposes I have tried it before and after with different results but none how it was designed to react. Also tried with strict off and on with no difference. 

• Administrators

No I just wanted to see if everything was allowed at that point because if so then it won't work at all at that point and if it's ping assisted at the very start even when it's off then that certainly indicates a ping assist issue, just trying to gather as much info for the devs as possible.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No I just wanted to see if everything was allowed at that point because if so then it won't work at all at that point and if it's ping assisted at the very start even when it's off then that certainly indicates a ping assist issue, just trying to gather as much info for the devs as possible.

Gotcha.  Another issue I wanted to bring up is the filter Ping window. So I usually have it set to Auto ping off while I am adding people in chat or, like now, trying to allow/deny servers and ID them. Since all of this started, up above, I have seen over and over again the ping will change part of the info even with Auto OFF.  Scenario: I am sitting in blackout duos lobby waiting on friend to join. I am pinging a dallas server, Manually, strange enough it pings at 17-22ms and appears in Texas on the filter map but geolocates to Sau Paulo Brazil... at any rate, he joins the lobby with me in game and I get a ping change with his name his IP and the ping for the dallas server I click on his icon and it gives me the IP and domain for the previous server with his name.  Very wonky.   Also just now when all of this happened we both received the Nat type issue in party chat lobby unable to use mic possibly due to NAT type restriction. He is in the allow list as you can clearly see as well as the party chat/auth server is actively hit as well.  This happens regardless if I'm using UPnP or Port Forwarding. 

So this leaves me with a problem. If I have set it all up BEFORE entering game as I should and it is killing party chat the only way to resolve party is to turn off the filter, which in turn screws up the settings for the geofilter. This has got to be fixed, it's a breaking issue. 

Punk Nat type issues (2).png

• Administrators

Thanks for that information, I've had a thought regarding your situation. Do you have any port forwarding setup at all? If so please remove it all and then flush the cloud. If you don't could you do an online port checker and see if port 7777 is closed or open please?

I did have port forwarding for many months before all of this started due to some weirdness with UPnP but that was the first thing I tried when I got my first NAT type issue for party chat. As of now I have been only using UPnP.  Port 7777 is closed. Is this the port used for remote support?

43 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that information, I've had a thought regarding your situation. Do you have any port forwarding setup at all? If so please remove it all and then flush the cloud. If you don't could you do an online port checker and see if port 7777 is closed or open please?

If that is closed will it cause functional issues or only disable remote support?  I have no control over the other router as it is ISP NAT. With the IPv4 addresses running out and becoming more expensive for blocks of IP addresses a lot of ISPs have adopted this type of network at least in the US. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

So is your router connected straight to a hole in the wall, or do you have a modem in your house?

Also yes, 7777 is the port used for remote support.

That'd be a strange way to complete an installation. I have a coaxial RG11 entering into a wiring closet inside my house that connects to the modem then cat6 ethernet from there approx .5 meter to the xr500. The modem is an Arris SB8200. 

@Netduma Admin @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Alex @Netduma Jack

Sorry to @ you all but I thought you may want to know recent results after using the hybrid VPN to test this issue. I do not want to say oh ok this is the fix but it points to the possibility that certain ISP configs can/will cause issue with the way the filter works. I could be looking at this entirely wrong but it's a start and hopefully this info helps give you some ideas. This is a Copy and Paste from my VPN findings post to Big Dog. With this setup below I have yet to have any servers outside of my geofilter range as well as almost instant connection when searching for a server and no issue finding servers that were seemingly blocked/ignored before from within the filtered area. Weird, I know but it is what it is. I hope it helps. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a crazy routing story.  I am having troubles with the geofilter connecting outside of my filter range as well as ignoring Allowed servers within my range and even if not on the allow list and only inside the filter it is somehow seemingly blocking them form connection. Also I can see my own player icon during a PSN speedtest which I've always been able to do as well as ping. Fraser says this isn't how it's supposed to work. Also, when all of these issues started I also lost the ability to ping myself and ID myself.  I can tell it's me because of the timing during a speedtest I see the PSN server and a player Icon.  

So being naturally inclined to dig my own hole I decided to dig in. Since my ISP hands out a private IP in the 10.64.x.x range I decided to try and bypass their NAT somewhat with a VPN. I selected PureVPN based on recommendations from you scattered throughout the forum. Not a poor choice. I knew my routing lead me directly to Dallas Texas with about 10 hops total. I found an issue with the Houston selection within the Hybrid VPN Basic setup UI and via chat they gave me a config file  for TCP or UDP. UDP is the preference for packet speed. So I load up the VPN and test things out... not bad 100/10 speeds down to 23/10 over ovpn... That's actually really good from my experience.  So I figure I am not going to get an open NAT that moderate would be acceptable, no big deal. I load the geofilter wait a few minutes. Load the game. moderate nat.. now expecting to test if the servers I usually play on would be ignored or utilized.  Search took less than a few seconds and my ping was identical to non-VPN ping and get this, my in-game latency after game engine etc.. was actually lower by a significant amount.  Instead of pinging at 17-22 and seeing in game of 33-43 I was dead flat at in game latency of 30ms. I mean zero fluctuation!  WTH?!?!  So thinking it's a fluke I kept testing.  SO my next server was the dreaded servers I have been trying to avoid. A new block of Internap routed servers that are mixed up between Texas and Kansas on the filter UI but for some reason even though i have very good routing to Dallas these servers would show a ping of mid to high 40's and in game latency of 60-75.  Here's the crazy part!  These servers actually got better over VPN. I assume due to some weird routing hang up but I am now seeing in game latency of 30ms on these as well. I set all of my Internap Deny list to Allow and had 2 hrs of zero issues.  I am hoping this hold true and is not a late night testing fluke. 

On a side note, I purchased port forwarding when I set up the account. Since everything seemed to be better behidn the VPN I decided to wrok with their support to see if in fact I could get an open NAT. With their UDP config file, Manual forwards on the XR500, and my account set to OPEN ALL. I was able to achieve OPEN nat in bo4 behind a VPN. I don;t know if others have tried or been easily successful but here's the strange thing.  The support person and myself went through every setting we could think of and about 20 diable/enable, restarts etc. So the theory is that once the VPN is open on port 5500 in my case, the only port activity required from my ISP is that port to open the tunnel. Since the netduma vpn is a hybrid and I have my PC not added to the list I thought maybe it was an issue with the ISP seeing half this half that... lets try triggering the ports from their Carrier Grade NAT without VPN then turn on the VPN and launch the PS4 and then the game. Immediate OPEN nat. Weird and possibly a testing glitch but still hope. 

Yea I know long story.... write me a novel. Lifes beauty is the details. 

3 hours ago, stalker4hire- said:

That'd be a strange way to complete an installation. I have a coaxial RG11 entering into a wiring closet inside my house that connects to the modem then cat6 ethernet from there approx .5 meter to the xr500. The modem is an Arris SB8200. 

So can you access this modem? If so, is it in modem mode or bridge mode? I'm trying to rule out it doing any port forwarding that is preventing your router from taking care of this for you.

The sb8200 is just modem AFAIK there is no bridge mode. Its not a router/gateway. I can access the modem UI but it's only for connection stats, etc. 

**UPDATE**

The VPN was working flawlessly for me in solo selecting Texas servers without delay and playing well. I had a friend join to test and it was ok for 2-3 matches then low and behold it joins a server that I have never added to my list but somehow this server appears to be whitelisted. Can anyone explain this?

wtf (2).png

• Administrators

I'm not sure why the VPN would make a difference unless your real IP appears to be from a location different to where it actually is, where are you from? 

I've got an idea, don't know if it'll work/if you want to try but downgrade to original R1 firmware, enable remote support in miscellaneous options then re-upgrade to DumaOS and preserve your settings while doing so. Have the console completely off, flush the cloud (if you get the message that it is taking too long then wait one minute and refresh the page) then re-setup the Geo-Filter and try again to get the server you want.

At this point I'll just stay with whats working. I'm tired of throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.  Also answering the same questions to different staff is tiresome and nonproductive. 

But I would seriously look into this cause I think at the root of all these similar issues is an error somehow with the cloud tha tis gumming up the works on the NAT, UPnP and geofilter server selection. If we could find the commonality between all the users with issues we'd find the cause. 

• Administrators

No worries, understood. If it's working to an extent with your workaround then I understand you don't want to mess with it right now. The devs are aware so hopefully they'll find something.

Yea so far, for whatever reason, I have hit servers within the filter range minus that one appearing in Florida.  Hopefully we can all figure things out to help everyone fine tune their setup, I know first hand how frustrating it is when it works and then without any changes on the user end it just stops working as expected. 

Also Between .32 and the latest hotfix firmware upgrade, I did have it in DMZ for about an hour of testing without any difference. It's not something I would normally want to use. 

I am having issues with HybridVPN and ports. Should I create a new thread?

-I can get OPEN NAT type with my port forward rules and the hybrid VPN turned OFF.

-I CANNOT get OPEN NAT type with my port forward rules and the hybrid VPN turned ON.

I can use the pureVPN app connect via any of their OpenVPN modes and use port listener to open any port then verify it's OPEN with canyouseeme.org without issue.

Adding my PC added as a device within the hybridVPN menu, however, results in not being able to see those same ports open with canyouseeme.org.

Of course I am turning off the app while testing with the router etc.  Is this just a known issue that we have accepted that port forward rules within the XR500 don't work with hybridVPN?

• Administrators

No need, we may as well keep it all contained here.

In general using a VPN on the router will result in a moderate/closed NAT as the VPN provider may have some of the ports required closed. Other than that program what game are you testing with to see whether you have an open NAT or not? Also is the Geo-Filter enabled at that time?

It's not about the game Fraser. I'm using a port listener to test with and can verify that all works well and ports are opened as long as I am not using VPN via the xr500. When I connect to the exact same server address and udp port through purevpn app the ports are open. They can and have been verified in realtime by myself and purevpn Sr. Engineer. I realize most just lump everything into the same old story that you will get moderate or strict NAT but you shouldn't if the VPN server and service allow for port forward or in my case all ports open. The only time it's an issue is with the XR500. It works on two different ISP with edge routers, dd-wrt as well as openwrt routers. If we couldn't open ports via VPN and just said oh well it's always going to be strict or moderate then half my company would not be able to stay connected across the US. 

If I can prove the ports open behind the VPN on other routers, their windows app, and the forwarding rules work with the xr500 WITHOUT vpn active then that only leaves the XR500 to be the culprit. There's nothing else to blame as it's all been proven working otherwise. 

@BIG__DOG would you be so kind as to test on your end?  Do you have port forwarding setup on your pure account? If not they'd be happy to let you test I'm sure, as a representative of an approved router listed on their site. If you have any questions about the test setup let me know. 

Pretty straight forward. Download port listener app, choose any port you want, hit the listen button. Create firewall rules for the port. Go to canyouseme.org and test it. Then throw up your vpn in openvpn mode and test again. Still OPEN. Now same server but use the hybrid VPN setup within xr500 menu. Not open. Proven and done. 

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No need, we may as well keep it all contained here.

In general using a VPN on the router will result in a moderate/closed NAT as the VPN provider may have some of the ports required closed. Other than that program what game are you testing with to see whether you have an open NAT or not? Also is the Geo-Filter enabled at that time?

Fraser if you really want to support this service and fix a large issue with features here is the ticket number. I have given them full permission to give you details of the testing and help work on this issue since it's a supported VPN. I'm sure you'll have to prove your credentials and Netduma position and all but it would be worth it. 

Pure VPN  ticket id 1390765.