New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

7 hours ago, Zippy said:

You know Fraser it has been over 6 months now for a firmware update from Netgear. Granted im not looking for new features. Just get what we have to work! The more I think about this XR500 the more it really is a bad deal.. You guys at Netduma got a good deal with Netgear.. Us consumers got the big fat shaft! This router will continue to be riddled with issues when one is running stock Netgear firmware with your OS on top of it.. It will be a never ending cycle.. I have yet to see a good stock firmware on Netgear or ASUS work with out some bug or issue.. They only spend so much time then move on.. Both ASUS and Netgear would be a total mess with out third party firmwares. Honestly the only way this will ever work is you guys getting full control on the firmware and leave Netgear out of it.. Just use there hardware.. What we have here now is a nightmare..

Zippy.

This is very true, I have mine running the best it can ,however I still get random disconnects even got them on the firmware that was a fix and ended up going back to .40, I think Netduma would do well if they introduced there own newer router,even a 100 unit trial would let them see how the market responds which I think it would do well.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Zippy said:

You know Fraser it has been over 6 months now for a firmware update from Netgear. Granted im not looking for new features. Just get what we have to work! The more I think about this XR500 the more it really is a bad deal.. You guys at Netduma got a good deal with Netgear.. Us consumers got the big fat shaft! This router will continue to be riddled with issues when one is running stock Netgear firmware with your OS on top of it.. It will be a never ending cycle.. I have yet to see a good stock firmware on Netgear or ASUS work with out some bug or issue.. They only spend so much time then move on.. Both ASUS and Netgear would be a total mess with out third party firmwares. Honestly the only way this will ever work is you guys getting full control on the firmware and leave Netgear out of it.. Just use there hardware.. What we have here now is a nightmare..

Zippy.

I understand your frustration but I am confident that Netgear will continue to support this router for a long time, I realise that firmware updates are not as fast as people would like but unfortunately nothing I could personally do about that and they will come out with a new firmware. I've asked when a new firmware can be expected as well.

10 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

This is very true, I have mine running the best it can ,however I still get random disconnects even got them on the firmware that was a fix and ended up going back to .40, I think Netduma would do well if they introduced there own newer router,even a 100 unit trial would let them see how the market responds which I think it would do well.

Is this related to the console instant on issue? Have you tried using a switch to connect the console to the router?

20 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I understand your frustration but I am confident that Netgear will continue to support this router for a long time, I realise that firmware updates are not as fast as people would like but unfortunately nothing I could personally do about that and they will come out with a new firmware. I've asked when a new firmware can be expected as well.

Is this related to the console instant on issue? Have you tried using a switch to connect the console to the router?

No,WAN ,seems to be running OK at the moment I`ve been away working for 2 weeks and no one has mentioned no internet.

I have not had not time to move over everything, but this is what my dashboard looks like when it locks. I was the only one on the internet and it froze. The blue lines move, but the internet light is solid.

What are the chances the DUMA software will run on its own in a VM? I.E. be happy to buy a license and run a VM as a router and throw this darn thing out literately and go back to my X6 for the WiFi and DUMA for a router?

bluebar.JPG

• Administrators

It wouldn't work in a VM, only on the router. It's probably worth you downgrading to some of the previous firmwares until a newer fix is released, perhaps .22 as I don't think people started encountering this until .32 https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Levity said:

Wait am i supposed to downgrade version V2.3.2.40 to older versions?.

Yes, if there's something that worked on the older version that doesn't work on the new one.

You can use the update function of the router to both upgrade and downgrade.

Guest Killhippie
On 6/20/2019 at 11:02 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Yes, if there's something that worked on the older version that doesn't work on the new one.

You can use the update function of the router to both upgrade and downgrade.

I would be careful downgrading, there are three vulnerabilities for XR500 firmware before version 2.3.2.32 listed now

https://kb.netgear.com/000060243/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-XR500-PSV-2018-0309

https://kb.netgear.com/000060241/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-XR500-PSV-2018-0313

https://kb.netgear.com/000060242/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-XR500-PSV-2018-0312

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 1:04 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you elaborate on this one?  What does a switch have to do with it / what effect does a switch have?  Thanks!

20 hours ago, Pook said:

Can you elaborate on this one?  What does a switch have to do with it / what effect does a switch have?  Thanks!

Weirdly enough, this issue has been resolved in some cases by putting a switch between the router and the console.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, Netduma Alex said:

Weirdly enough, this issue has been resolved in some cases by putting a switch between the router and the console.

Ok thanks.  That's at least one explanation as to why it never affected me. I sometimes wondered if I was just lucky, or it's the fact that I turned off most of the extra features (bufferbloat, vpn, etc) that I've been pretty much trouble free.  (knock wood)