New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

New features and enhancements:

• Added the Hybrid VPN feature, which replaces the VPN client feature.
  • Added the VPN provider PureVPN to the Hybrid VPN feature.
  • Added the ping assist feature to the Geo Filter.
  • Added advanced ping stats to the auto ping dashboard.

Bug Fixes:

1. Fixes the issue where the speed test feature in the Nighthawk app does not work.
  2. Fixes the issue where the speed test feature in the installation process might fail.

Security Fixes:

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security

Upgrade Instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is XR500-V2.3.2.40.img

Download Link : http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.40.zip

Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  2. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  3. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  4. Click Upload button.
  5. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.

If any problem occurs after upgrading, try clearing the configuration by pressing the Reset Button on Rear Panel until the Power LED blinks and hold on for 5 seconds at least, then the router will reboot with default configuration.

Here are guides on how to setup Hybrid VPN and Ping Assist:

Looks like Hybrid VPN is in there. I don't see any changes to the Device Manager. When I load the Dashboard, I get a script error box. There's a new theme selection icon up in the upper right of the UI though.

2018-12-13_0843.thumb.png.1a6d4ade94604f690f9cc9314f645e15.png

Guest Killhippie

I updated via the built in update mechanism. There is a table view in Device manager now and the normal view, you select it in in the fly out menu, there is a theme selection in Desktop mode as well, I have not had a chance to play with that yet, also as mentioned ping assist and Hybrid VPN has been added. I did a factory reset as per usual with such a big update (you probably don't need to I've just done it with all Netgear routers) and all is running well so far.

50 minutes ago, DustoMan said:

Looks like Hybrid VPN is in there. I don't see any changes to the Device Manager. When I load the Dashboard, I get a script error box. There's a new theme selection icon up in the upper right of the UI though.

2018-12-13_0843.thumb.png.1a6d4ade94604f690f9cc9314f645e15.png

clear your browser cache. It is always advisable to do a factory reset after installation of a new firmware.

28 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

I updated via the built in update mechanism. There is a table view in Device manager now and the normal view, you select it in in the fly out menu, there is a theme selection in Desktop mode as well, I have not had a chance to play with that yet, also as mentioned ping assist and Hybrid VPN has been added. I did a factory reset as per usual with such a big update (you probably don't need to I've just done it with all Netgear routers) and all is running well so far.

some users scoff at me when I suggest a fatory reset after a firmware install, but I am never the 1 who has any issues :D :D :D

50 minutes ago, xr500user said:

haven't updated yet -- i made changes to my dashboard layout .. did you make changes from the default in the prior firmware? wonder if that may be it

Ya, it appears to be on of the panels I've pinned to the Dashboard. It's just spinning. I'm not sure which one it is. Is there some way to reset it? Besides resetting to factory settings.

4 minutes ago, DustoMan said:

Ya, it appears to be on of the panels I've pinned to the Dashboard. It's just spinning. I'm not sure which one it is. Is there some way to reset it?

settings>>>>>administration.

try deleting your browser cache first.

Guest Killhippie
2 minutes ago, xr500user said:

if he doesn't get it working I'm going to reset mine to default before the update lol.

No need to do it before the update, just do it after. I remember Merlin saying there was no need to reset before a flash of firmware, but after yes. I think there was a update by Qualcomm in this firmware for disconnects, maybe Fraser or Admin could chip about that. Anyway its a Netgear router which for me is a good enough reason to do it anyway. ;) 

i do, but still waiting for some more update results, don't want to factory reset and I haven't yet since the initial, always just fixed any issues manually - just dreading having to redo the entire device names if reset ..

maybe make a copy of the db first

Guest Killhippie

One thing I have noticed and that's with the Hybrid VPN not on, but set to enabled which is its default position the CPU load is much higher on this version, mines hovering around 40% ish  while on the last version it was about 20% when not doing much oddly. Anyway You have to turn enable off to set the VPN up then enable it again, so for users that don't use the feature would you leave it set at enabled or disabled? Just to clarify as its not that clear what that setting should be at if people are not using that feature really.  :)

Guest Killhippie
7 minutes ago, xr500user said:

i do, but still waiting for some more update results, don't want to factory reset and I haven't yet since the initial, always just fixed any issues manually - just dreading having to redo the entire device names if reset ..

maybe make a copy of the db first

You could but use that for downgrading not for updating as it can carry over low level stuff that chas been known to cause issues. You should be fine tbh. I just do it as a precaution, takes a while putting all the static DHCP reservations back in, but it was quite painless really. I think by now the firmware should be fine updating over itself, for me its just a habit from using Netgear routers for years.

4 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

One thing I have noticed and that's with the Hybrid VPN not on, but set to enabled which is its default position the CPU load is much higher on this version, mines hovering around 40% ish  while on the last version it was about 20% when not doing much oddly. Anyway You have to turn enable off to set the VPN up then enable it again, so for users that don't use the feature I would you leave it set at enabled or disabled? Just to clarify as its about as its not that clear what that setting should be at if people are not using that feature really.  :)

I am gonna do the update in the morning for the XR500 as mine is used by my lad for his internet so I can controle his access. I will do it when he is at school tomorrow. :D

well, done...

All seems OK once it settled down. I see what you mean, Hybrid VPN defaults to Enabled. and one cpu likes to hover around 40-50, while the other drops to 10-20.

not a big deal maybe an oversight,

..Disabled :) will report back if I see anything weird. Not sure if disabling it lowered the CPU use though, I did check before the update and it was around 10-20 when everything was idle with .32 .. will check back in a bit router may be doing some housekeeping still as it had a lot of devices just authenticate on it at once :)

Guest Killhippie
41 minutes ago, xr500user said:

well, done...

All seems OK once it settled down. I see what you mean, Hybrid VPN defaults to Enabled. and one cpu likes to hover around 40-50, while the other drops to 10-20.

not a big deal maybe an oversight,

..Disabled :) will report back if I see anything weird. Not sure if disabling it lowered the CPU use though, I did check before the update and it was around 10-20 when everything was idle with .32 .. will check back in a bit router may be doing some housekeeping still as it had a lot of devices just authenticate on it at once :)

I wasnt sure but I left ine enabled. I will be using it anyway but I could have sworn CPU usage dropped a tiny bit with it disabled, although with it disabled you can then configure it, so why leave it enabled by default? Mine is behaving like yours with one core running a bit higher than the other,  I'll go look again in a while.:)

Edit* CPU usage is much higher with this version, with spikes into 60% now and then at idle just showing the interface. Also opening the routers GUI gives burst of up to 100% now quite easily when switching though the menu.