New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

6 minutes ago, vonskie said:

been running .32 for nearly two weeks and no reboots strange

Made it 16 days then it rebooted on .32 time to get another router

Any recommendations?

I want something that just works, you forget about it and you do not have to worry about when the latest fix will come out so it will stop rebooting.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:15 PM, vonskie said:

Any recommendations?

I want something that just works, you forget about it and you do not have to worry about when the latest fix will come out so it will stop rebooting.

Well I finally gave up on the xr500 and got a simple no frills super stable and secure Google Wifi

Got tired of wondering about the xr500, when will it crash, will they ever update it, will it be stable and etc. Life is to short to spend it farting with a Wifi router

• Administrators
On 4/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, vonskie said:

Well I finally gave up on the xr500 and got a simple no frills super stable and secure Google Wifi

Got tired of wondering about the xr500, when will it crash, will they ever update it, will it be stable and etc. Life is to short to spend it farting with a Wifi router

We've PM'd you the hotfix firmware which may fix your issue. Could you try this out when you haev a moment and let us know if you see any change? Thanks.

V2.3.2.40 is the latest currently installed and router runs fine for about two weeks and then output traffic stops. Reboot fixes it for about week or two. I am about to give up, had this router a year and it really honestly hasnt stood up the hype. I want so bad to be fan, but it just can't seem to reach stability.

Here is what has been at least 3 times on the last year.

1. Total default of router

2. numerous firmware upgrades (with defaulting and not)

3. power cycle or reboot over and over

Aggravating to have to do the above, as I loose all the settings, all QOS setup and network names etc... I have even taken DNS off this router to see if that helps.

Small home network, but I am to the point where I just need to schedule something to reboot every Friday somehow so it works for the kids and their gaming on the weekends.

When it works, man it works great, but the reboots and outbound traffic drops are annoying. 

Are there any  beta firmware's out there? It seem to run perfect almost prior to the hybrid VPN addition or at least it seemed to run longer before a reboot.

Snip below of current, just had to reboot. You log in and you can see inbound traffic moving, but outbound is 0 or watching byte count or just the red bars showing traffic.

Capture.JPG

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, BSilverthorn said:

V2.3.2.40 is the latest currently installed and router runs fine for about two weeks and then output traffic stops. Reboot fixes it for about week or two. I am about to give up, had this router a year and it really honestly hasnt stood up the hype. I want so bad to be fan, but it just can't seem to reach stability.

Here is what has been at least 3 times on the last year.

1. Total default of router

2. numerous firmware upgrades (with defaulting and not)

3. power cycle or reboot over and over

Aggravating to have to do the above, as I loose all the settings, all QOS setup and network names etc... I have even taken DNS off this router to see if that helps.

Small home network, but I am to the point where I just need to schedule something to reboot every Friday somehow so it works for the kids and their gaming on the weekends.

When it works, man it works great, but the reboots and outbound traffic drops are annoying. 

Are there any  beta firmware's out there? It seem to run perfect almost prior to the hybrid VPN addition or at least it seemed to run longer before a reboot.

Snip below of current, just had to reboot. You log in and you can see inbound traffic moving, but outbound is 0 or watching byte count or just the red bars showing traffic.

Capture.JPG

Please try this hot fix firmware and see if it resolves your issues: 

So far so good on lockups, but login now after 6 days or so I get "This R-App is not loaded yet, please try in a minute"....

Numerous attempts fail to get the Dashboard to paint, a reboot seems to fix it.

Brett

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, BSilverthorn said:

So far so good on lockups, but login now after 6 days or so I get "This R-App is not loaded yet, please try in a minute"....

Numerous attempts fail to get the Dashboard to paint, a reboot seems to fix it.

Brett

Glad to hear that. It'll be one particular panel that's pinned, try to figure out which one it is and see if the page itself loads. If it's just after a reboot or reset then that can happen if it was accessed too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No consoles, well there is an old xbox but its off. If we have some Nintendo switches, but they are connected via wifi if that matters. They were not in use, it was hard locked when we woke in the morning.

It and two switches run into a 600VA APC ups and that is it, from that to wall. The switches are managed switches HP and Tp-Link. They seem stable going into the APC, never have any issues and the web interface to them are always up, vlans stay up etc.... I could remove it from the APC and go direct, but hesitate too as its an expensive router to have unprotected, especially during storm season here. APC unit is only at 35% typically according to its read out and 38% when I test it by pulling the plug, so no load there and its fairly new. Within 18 months.

Guest Killhippie
6 hours ago, BSilverthorn said:

It and two switches run into a 600VA APC ups and that is it, from that to wall. The switches are managed switches HP and Tp-Link. They seem stable going into the APC, never have any issues and the web interface to them are always up, vlans stay up etc.... I could remove it from the APC and go direct, but hesitate too as its an expensive router to have unprotected, especially during storm season here. APC unit is only at 35% typically according to its read out and 38% when I test it by pulling the plug, so no load there and its fairly new. Within 18 months.

The APC UPS will not cause issues, but its best to use individual connections for each device, not power strips when connecting to a UPS. I have a APC Smart UPS 1000 and its never caused issues with attached devices, after all these things were designed to run servers! They also have a pure sine wave output which is cleaner than the power that comes out of a wall socket.

Yeah with 35 some devices, I am sure some are connected all night. Nothing major or heavy. 7.1 Sound Receiver, Sony Bluray, Plex Media Server and I see my two QNAP NAS servers in the log at night.  Most of those are probably just checking in for software updates etc... 

My ESXI vmware server is up 100% of the time with a few VMs on it. Ubuntu machines running piehole  and a domain controller. Again though nothing heavy, when I can't sleep and just poke around in the wee hours of the morning I see nothing happening but a few packets here or there, more DNS than anything else. Most are WiFi devices that I am sure never go totally off, iphones, ipads, android tablets or the like.

I don't think anything triggered it per say, As this last time it locked it up during day when no one was home.

• Administrators

So quite a few devices would be on standby would you say, occasionally sending/receiving updates? Might be related to the console issue in that it being in standby mode the router can't detect when it goes online properly and for some reason crashes. Would it be too much of a hassle to see if shutting down all the devices prevents the issue from happening?

Be little bit of pain, as my son does night classes from his room to college.

What I could do is turn on my other router back on (Nighthawk X6S) and move the house back to it sort of for awhile and just leave my PC and My sons PC on the duma router. That way I can keep the baby monitor running etc during the night. I don't think I could ever make sure nothing was going thru it otherwise. The Duma Router was bought for My PC and His anyway to balance out the bandwidth and help my work at home experience when I do that. Which it has done ;-). It just decides to freeze every now and then, which is a first for me and NetGear.

This might not happen till the weekend, as it will take a small bit of time etc.. But I rather do that, than kill everything at night as crazy as it sounds. Id rather not power off the vmware server each night as well. So I might leave it, its to much of a pain to disable the nic etc...

When it did lock the following was macines in where in the logs prior.

VMWARE ESXI host

Ubuntu 1 & 2 Hosts <-have pihole on them

My desktop

Baby Monitor

Wife's Laptop

She stated it had worked fine all day, they walked away to make to make coffee, came back and internet was down. Upon logging in, it appeared only outbound traffic was traversing according to the dashboard. Multiple blue bars ;-), no red bar traffic at all.  When I got home from work, the web interface etc would not respond, but the NIC did respond to a ping. I should have ran a wireshark, but didnt think about at it at the time. Reboot fixed it though.

Brett

You know Fraser it has been over 6 months now for a firmware update from Netgear. Granted im not looking for new features. Just get what we have to work! The more I think about this XR500 the more it really is a bad deal.. You guys at Netduma got a good deal with Netgear.. Us consumers got the big fat shaft! This router will continue to be riddled with issues when one is running stock Netgear firmware with your OS on top of it.. It will be a never ending cycle.. I have yet to see a good stock firmware on Netgear or ASUS work with out some bug or issue.. They only spend so much time then move on.. Both ASUS and Netgear would be a total mess with out third party firmwares. Honestly the only way this will ever work is you guys getting full control on the firmware and leave Netgear out of it.. Just use there hardware.. What we have here now is a nightmare..

Zippy.