Jump to content
Mement

New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

Recommended Posts

ETA for next firmware update? Definitely need one for UI and MAC spoofing bugs. Also some basics are needed like icon legend to see what all the symbols mean. More information is needed via auto ping. I'd like to see packet loss %.

Also I'd the geo filter UI options to be more fluid. Just seems inefficient and cumbersome atm. Honestly I'd like a whole ui rework. With drop down menus and interface that is less clunky and more pleasing on the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't give any ETAs on firmware releases. You can see what the icons mean here on Geo-Filter (2 of 3) http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000071909-nighthawk-xr500-user-manual-guide- though we'll likely include a legend on the page as well at some point. The only icon not shown there are Ping Assisted hosts which appear with a dashed circle around them. There is quite a lot of information on Auto Ping at the moment so we'd have to see how we could add further information without making it feel cluttered.

Could you be more specific about what you'd like to see? We designed the whole interface to be really user friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Ok - glad you fixed it. Do you know why you were not able to connect? Would be helpful to know in case others have the same problem. Thanks.

Yes, I would really like to know this as well as I’m having a very similar issue. Just got the XR500 yesterday and upgraded to .40 FW during setup. I can access the internet on my pc connected via Ethernet and my fire tv connected via WiFi just fine. However, none of my IOS devices (2x iPhone X and 4x iPod touch 6s) will work over WiFi. I’ve tried factory resets, manually uploading and updating the .40 FW, and messing with different settings to include turning off QoS and traffic stuff. I can’t grt this to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, Heach said:

Yes, I would really like to know this as well as I’m having a very similar issue. Just got the XR500 yesterday and upgraded to .40 FW during setup. I can access the internet on my pc connected via Ethernet and my fire tv connected via WiFi just fine. However, none of my IOS devices (2x iPhone X and 4x iPod touch 6s) will work over WiFi. I’ve tried factory resets, manually uploading and updating the .40 FW, and messing with different settings to include turning off QoS and traffic stuff. I can’t grt this to work.

That's odd that only those devices cannot connect. Did you give any of them a static IP? This might explain why they cannot connect.

Can you see the router's WiFi name on each of these devices?

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, Heach said:

Yes, I would really like to know this as well as I’m having a very similar issue. Just got the XR500 yesterday and upgraded to .40 FW during setup. I can access the internet on my pc connected via Ethernet and my fire tv connected via WiFi just fine. However, none of my IOS devices (2x iPhone X and 4x iPod touch 6s) will work over WiFi. I’ve tried factory resets, manually uploading and updating the .40 FW, and messing with different settings to include turning off QoS and traffic stuff. I can’t grt this to work.

My iOS devices connect just fine, make sure obviously the password is correct, mine have static IP addresses though DHCP reservation in the router and all works well. I would suggest with this update you do a factory reset afterwards (use the pin hole on the back and a paper clip, hold for 7 seconds or so then leave for a few minutes and set up again) if you have done that to your router already, reset network settings on all iOS devices and re-enter the passwords. If you have used the same name as your old network with the new router iOS devices don't tend to like that, you should always forget the old network network on iOS devices before adding a new main router with the same SSID I have found. Also did you use smart connect or separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands? I find seperating the routers WiFi bands tends to work better using different and of course using different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5GHz. Also use 5Ghz for the iOS devices if possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SInce upgrading to .40 mine will reboot every couple of days for some strange reason, is the instant on deal still a bug? Should I go to an older version if so what version? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vonskie said:

SInce upgrading to .40 mine will reboot every couple of days for some strange reason, is the instant on deal still a bug? Should I go to an older version if so what version? 

 

 

Could you downgrade back to .32 and let us know if it continues. That will help to isolate where the issue might be: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fuzy said:

À quand un nouveau firmware pour le xr500 ?

We can't give out any dates for new firmware. It is up to Netgear when to release. Basically it will be released when ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Killhippie or someone at Netduma - 

Was there ever a solution for the increased CPU usage?  I was upgrading from an admittedly out of date version which was several versions behind.  However CPU back then was near 0 or would fluctuate between 0 and perhaps 10.  

After upgrading to the  .40 release CPU is always bouncing between 20 and 60, never idle.  I've disabled Hybrid VPN, all the media sharing, USB, GeoFilter, etc. 

In addition I have 1 issue and 1 suggestion:

Issue: I very often get "object required" error when trying to edit a device in the device manager.  I have to refresh the page to try again.

Suggestion: There's now a third band in the wireless settings that my router doesn't support (XR500).  It states it doesn't support it but I'd much rather it just hide that column as it's making that panel need much more space than it really should.

Thanks,

Pook

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, welcome to the forum!

It looks like the CPU graph is just a visual bug in that it is not reporting the true CPU usage but much higher. So there should be absolutely no issues even if it reports 100% usage. Also just make sure the router is connected directly to a power socket rather than extender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and Thanks!  

Is the graph on the list to be addressed? 

My XR500 is actually plugged into an APC backup w/ power conditioning.  I assume you're saying not to use a power strip and that a UPS is okay?

--Pook

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have seen the XR300 has been announced, the CPU graph was something that came up in testing for that device as not being correct and has been fixed. As DumaOS is basically an operating system the fix for that should also apply to the XR500 as well and so when the XR500 uses that latest DumaOS version in future it should be fixed as well. Don't quote me on this as I'm not a developer so it may not be 100% correct and I can't be sure exactly what will be included in a future firmware as it's always subject to change.

I'm not familiar with a UPS but anything but being plugged directly into an wall outlet will split the power and so sometimes the device won't get the proper voltage it needs. We've seen this with some people that have unexplainable issues, all settings correct but yet isn't working as it should. Unplug it from an extender (or something that multiple devices take power from) and plug it directly into the wall and those issues have disappeared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 5:30 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

You may have seen the XR300 has been announced, the CPU graph was something that came up in testing for that device as not being correct and has been fixed. As DumaOS is basically an operating system the fix for that should also apply to the XR500 as well and so when the XR500 uses that latest DumaOS version in future it should be fixed as well. Don't quote me on this as I'm not a developer so it may not be 100% correct and I can't be sure exactly what will be included in a future firmware as it's always subject to change.

I'm not familiar with a UPS but anything but being plugged directly into an wall outlet will split the power and so sometimes the device won't get the proper voltage it needs. We've seen this with some people that have unexplainable issues, all settings correct but yet isn't working as it should. Unplug it from an extender (or something that multiple devices take power from) and plug it directly into the wall and those issues have disappeared.

A ups provides power to each unit as needed, its not providing less power like a cheap 4 plug extension lead. Also if its a pure sinewave one the power supply is cleaner than that from the mains and prolongs life of units attached to it. You have one plug per slot on the back for one plug per device smaller UPSs may have 6 and larger ones eight or more, they have huge batteries, auto voltage regulation for brownouts and surges as well and earth points. Mine have room for slot in cards for remote configuration and they sense in milliseconds changes in current and kick in. They are not like a simple surge protector or power strip, hence a APC 1000 Smart UPS which I use for my study costs about £480.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Smart-UPS-1000VA-LCD-230V-x/dp/B0076Q33IM

I have a smaller 750 Volt amp on for the lounge, and a 700 volt amp one for smaller electronic devices I protect too, they even have hot swappable batteries. No lack of voltage for each device occurs here. They are used in server rooms a lot, so have to be able to dish out the needed voltage all the time. Running computers without them is crazy in this day and age, same with consoles, TV's etc and easily pass the simple power needs for a router :)      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 10:22 PM, vonskie said:

SInce upgrading to .40 mine will reboot every couple of days for some strange reason, is the instant on deal still a bug? Should I go to an older version if so what version? 

 

 

Well I turned off the instant on feature on my xbox and tv and .40 still reboots but not as much, So I just loaded .32 and see how that works If it still boots will throw this thing in the trash, I have never had a netgear that has not rebooted or needed a reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vonskie said:

Well I turned off the instant on feature on my xbox and tv and .40 still reboots but not as much, So I just loaded .32 and see how that works If it still boots will throw this thing in the trash, I have never had a netgear that has not rebooted or needed a reboot.

.32 seems a bit more stable.. But I wouldn't call it glorious or anything.. Not to mention the lack of features.. Hopefully we will see a new firmware release soon.. I wouldn't put a lot of trust in this router yet.. Specially if you don't have the time to fiddle with it.. Good luck!

Zippy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, vonskie said:

Well I turned off the instant on feature on my xbox and tv and .40 still reboots but not as much, So I just loaded .32 and see how that works If it still boots will throw this thing in the trash, I have never had a netgear that has not rebooted or needed a reboot.

This sounds like a major bug - it would be worth letting Netgear know on their forum so they can look into it or give you advice. You shouldn't be experiencing that on .40; whatever the issue is, Netgear should be able to act on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, vonskie said:

Well I turned off the instant on feature on my xbox and tv and .40 still reboots but not as much, So I just loaded .32 and see how that works If it still boots will throw this thing in the trash, I have never had a netgear that has not rebooted or needed a reboot.

Even though this post is old, my TV is instant on, so is my iMac and PS4 and no issue with rebooting like yours. I have had one NTGR router reboot on me, which was a known issue in the R7800, I never had a Netgear router that needed rebooting apart from during updates, and my first NTGR router was the DG834 v1 https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/hardware/reviews/old/33-netgear-dg834 from 2006. Ive had many bugs and stil do, as I would not be surprised there is code from that old DG834 still in the XR500 as  NTGR just keep adding new routers and leaving dead lines of code from previous models. I would factory reset the router and start from scratch, it may be faulty hardware. The XR500 is not as stable as I would have hoped a year after release, my old R7800 was rock solid mostly until a few hiccups. and the AX12 I beta tested works really well, I'm using that at present until issues with the XR500 get sorted. Maybe you should check your power socket/supply? Just a thought :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, vonskie said:

been running .32 for nearly two weeks and no reboots strange

 

That's helpful to know, thanks for confirming. This should help us and NETGEAR to isolate the potential cause and build a fix into the next firmware update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else having issues with your console not showing up in device manager after this update. I have to reboot my router every day in order for it to show up. Even after that, It does not look like setting have set up are working correctly. QoS, geo filter etc.

I notice weird things while playing games that do not happen if I downgrade such as my ping acts very strange. it will be at 40ms the spike to 200 and back down and it does this non stop. I want to keep this version because I love the hybrid vpn but I can tell it is not working with my console right either. 

I'm going to downgrade again. 

Any updates on a fix for this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zonum6 said:

Anyone else having issues with your console not showing up in device manager after this update. I have to reboot my router every day in order for it to show up. Even after that, It does not look like setting have set up are working correctly. QoS, geo filter etc.

I notice weird things while playing games that do not happen if I downgrade such as my ping acts very strange. it will be at 40ms the spike to 200 and back down and it does this non stop. I want to keep this version because I love the hybrid vpn but I can tell it is not working with my console right either. 

I'm going to downgrade again. 

Any updates on a fix for this? 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Have you given your console a static IP? Also do you have the console in a standby/instant on mode?

That sounds like a different issue, either local congestion or a bad server. I'd suggest making a new topic for that and we can look at it in more detail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 6:17 AM, Netduma Admin said:

Could you downgrade back to .32 and let us know if it continues. That will help to isolate where the issue might be: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

been running .32 for nearly two weeks and no reboots strange

On 4/20/2019 at 11:58 AM, vonskie said:

been running .32 for nearly two weeks and no reboots strange

 

Made it 16 days then it rebooted on .32 time to get another router

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...