Preliminary Lag Compensation Experiment Findings

Are you seeing a difference like A7Legit?

Well to be honest I can say it has improved considerably during my gaming but A7's hit detection is pretty incredible and I have not yet achieved that level and may not ever.

But I am seeming to drop people in less bullets on a more consistent basis,so yes hit detection I would say has improved with that change.

And I'll keep using the exact same set up so I can say for certain over a period of time that yes it just didn't work for 2 night,it's still solid but have no reason to believe it won't be consistent.

Well to be honest I can say it has improved considerably during my gaming but A7's hit detection is pretty incredible and I have not yet achieved that level and may not ever.

But I am seeming to drop people in less bullets on a more consistent basis,so yes hit detection I would say has improved with that change.

And I'll keep using the exact same set up so I can say for certain over a period of time that yes it just didn't work for 2 night,it's still solid but have no reason to believe it won't be consistent.

Thank you.  I will try it out tonight.

Fraser - Since this is working for 2 people so far, it would be interesting to get Iain's input on why this may be helping.  

Can you tell me the exact jitter and if it's on the outgoing or incoming packets and what percentage of packets the jitter is on? If I can get these numbers in a direct message I can test this even further at a higher level of players.

• Administrators

Thank you.  I will try it out tonight.

Fraser - Since this is working for 2 people so far, it would be interesting to get Iain's input on why this may be helping.  

Sure I'll ask :)

97% sliders with Reactive algo.

Are you even checking your Bufferbloat anymore?  Or have you just found a setting that is working and stopped there?

I'll give it a try if I ever get a chance to get back on BO3.  I am always up for trying something new. :D

Are you even checking your Bufferbloat anymore?  Or have you just found a setting that is working and stopped there?

I'll give it a try if I ever get a chance to get back on BO3.  I am always up for trying something new. :D

I tried it last night.  Based upon his photo, it is UDP 3074 with the "Both" radial dial selected.  I did not play long and I was playing mostly east coast servers.  Being from San Diego, the connections are always inconsistent.   I will continue to play with the A7 hyper settings and see how it goes.

im not sure if Playstation network includes port 3074 just on the basis of my geo set-up I have both  port 3074 and playstation network  in my games services, and on inspection of who is connected in the map, it clearly shows separate hosts and some are identical.

I tried it last night.  Based upon his photo, it is UDP 3074 with the "Both" radial dial selected.  I did not play long and I was playing mostly east coast servers.  Being from San Diego, the connections are always inconsistent.   I will continue to play with the A7 hyper settings and see how it goes.

Thanks UK - Always there when a brother needs you.

Let me know how you get on, I am curious.  I do like the game and would like to have more success at it (as I am sure is the case with everyone here...LOL)

Well ran it again last night and still seems to be better than it was before in my case.Hit detection is still better but I do notice when you get "that" lobby with players that are 2-3 barring it still IMO seems to play more consistent than a bad lobby would before.

Again I'll keep rolling it and see how it goes.

I would say it's definitely worth checking out JD,when you get some free time.

So putting the sliders to 97% has changed the game.

Half of the community say throttle the rest saying give it just about max.

Non of which affects ping [facepalm/] shrugs and moves on.

I'm always on 90 & 90 in CC i get an A+ for bluffer and an A for Line if i drop below 87 i get lower grades for some reason and red spikes on chrome the lower the worse seems to be different results between google and explorer which i have better results by going lower  :unsure:

All in all throttling is BS i wasted enough time experimenting in the MW3 days to realize it's not worth the hassle suppose it might for work for some but not for me.

I've stopped testing regularly now, but i tested for a few days until i had an A+ bb at 97% for both sliders. I also tested 10 different times throughout those 3 days and each time i had an A+ so i was content with leaving it there. 

Just a message for all interested, that game wasn't a one off, 90-95% of my games are like that and if people don't believe that, i can post more vids...

I don't blame people for being skeptical, but i can prove it and I'm happy to.

I am not disputing anything a good player is a good player no matter where you put the congestion control.

Play on 70% and you will do just fine, put it on 20% again you will do fine.

People are looking at your game play and other users game play and thinking its the % or the hard throttle it is not, it is the players tactics and reactions combined with their ISP connection non of which can be transferred by a setting apart from a close host and the reduction of local congestion by the duma.

I am not disputing anything a good player is a good player no matter where you put the congestion control.

Play on 70% and you will do just fine, put it on 20% again you will do fine.

People are looking at your game play and other users game play and thinking its the % or the hard throttle it is not, it is the players tactics and reactions combined with their ISP connection non of which can be transferred by a setting apart from a close host and the reduction of local congestion by the duma.

Whilst what you're saying holds validity, connection is king in COD, it will always be.

When BO3 first dropped, I throttled my connection to get a one up on everyone, but that changed with hotfixes, so my games took a decline/fall for the worse. By the time the bigger patches arrived (i.e. 1.07) the game was terrible for me, rage inducing even.

I had to re-test my connection and how it worked, however it's the same connection, same game play style, my reactions have not changed for an older gamer and I use the same monitor still, if anything my eyes are worse than before as they're degrading sadly...

Whilst 97% won't be the "magic number" for everyone, hell, it may not help anyone other than myself, the number isn't most important, the bufferbloat under some load was and for me that was 97% but I specified that already.

The important aspect to consider here may possibly be the PFiFo/Hyper-Traffic settings. It's no secret I've been reading, reading and reading some more and I'm trying to mix up and incorporate what I learn at the rate I'm learning, for me it's changing this game and busting it wide open to my benefit.

Every COD plays almost exactly like this for me, with AW being slightly more stubborn.

Edit: BO3 has an update 1.10, I'm keen on seeing how my setup will hold up and if things will suffer or not.

For me the buffer bloat thing was blown way out of proportion and I wish I never brought up or had my name mentioned in the same breath.

Bloat is when your connection is maxing out giving your line jitter so the only time it would be of any use is if you had a family member streaming or downloading at close to max of your bandwidth, which I need as my son streams.

Bloat is when your connection is maxing out giving your line jitter so the only time it would be of any use is if you had a family member streaming or downloading at close to max of your bandwidth, which I need as my son streams.

I actually came to learn about bufferbloat from Dave Taht with whom I've tweeted back and forth in the past, but I'm aware that you opened the eyes of many to it here. I don't think you did anything wrong in that respect, because many of us stream audio and video services (up and down) and many of us have those users on our networks that don't take no for an answer when requested they ease up on the bandwidth so it's absolutely useful and a necessity at times.

Gave it a whirl last night for about 2 hours of off and on gaming on Blops 3.  I hadn't played anything in about a week, and I haven't touched this game in over 2.

I honestly didn't notice anything different.  If anything, it seemed like I was being killed easier and was falling to that damn Weevil at every turn.

I am going to give Overwatch a try this weekend and see what the hype is about.

Oh yeah I just mentioned it after learning about it myself A7 :)

I really like overwatch but some do not, so do not get over hyped JD :)

I really like overwatch but some do not, so do not get over hyped JD :)

Sorry, that should have been "hype", with my intent to give it a go and see if it's for me.  It's a free Beta and I certainly don't hold you, or anyone, accountable for my enjoyment of a new game.  I'm a big boy and can waste my time if I want without having to "blame" anyone if it is indeed a wasted effort.  At least I will know first hand.  :D

I have a major issue with 3-bar players (100+ms), I see the lone 3-bar in the lobby topping the leaderboard with a ridiculous score so often. The ones that lag and skip so bad you can't predict their movement specifically - they freeze mid-air and then they're beside you and you're dead.