Netduma R1 (Real talk)

DerPolacke

Hi everyone,

i guess most people here own a Netduma router and some of you just think about buying it.

If someone would ask you how does the Netduma router works? But before i say something i had my FIRST Netduma router 6 Months before... paid for it about 230€. Now i bought it on ebay for 70€ and i can't see that anything has changed.

I will say everything to each feature and more.

Select Games/Services:
+ It's easy to use, just select a Device + preset Service and you can also use a ADV option.

- None

Geo-filter:
+ Nice feature

+ Ping Assist

+ Distance

- Weird Zoom instead of just making zoom as Scrollwheel.

Peer Pings:
+ Real time Ping
- None

Deny & Allow:
+ Must have feature as a gamer! but when you have a PeerPing function where you should 99% have a 0-60ping this Deny Allow function can be a little useless but still nice to have for people that need this.
+ Also easy to use

+ Ratings
- Can't block a static IP or MAC (I personaly didn't found this option)

Anti-Flood:

+ Must have

Algorithm:

- No Info what's the difference between Preemptive and Reactive, i'm personaly from Germany.

Download-Upload CAP:
+ Must Have (lower Lag when much Bandwidth used)

(Info just set it to 99% you don't need to go lower.)
- There is no Hotkey where you can enable this or something like a APP when you start a game that this Feature will be enabled.

Device Prioritisation:
I can't say that it works... instead to split 1.5mb/s to 2 PC it gives 300kb/s to each PC (2 PCs total i was testing it) the other half of my bandwidth is sleeping.

Host History:
+ Works well !
- None

VPN:
Didn't use this but:
+ nice to have

- None

Devices:

Just do show/hide devices from the graph.

+ Nice to have.

Device Manager:
+ Delete/Block function
- No prioritisation possible when someone is downloading and nolifing while watching youtube videos... or cap someones bandwith for exaple to max 400kb/s.

Ping Diagnostics:

+ Nice to have

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone would ask me what i think about the Netduma ?

It works fine but it has some Device sharing problems, sometimes it shares only half of the bandwidth gets lost.

If someone would ask me why he should buy the Netduma ?

The best thing is Peerping (I guess it auto filters and denny all Servers above the set max Ping) and Down-Upload CAP, where you can cap the bandwidth a little so when someone is watching 18+ videos at night you don't lag like a noob and you don't feel the drops when the ping gets worse.

If you ask me i would Rate the Netduma router like this:
Netduma R1, max 120Euro, for casual user 7/10 (bandwidth sharing problems), for comp users 10/10, overal 8,5/10

120Euros = In my eyes this router is worth 120Euros for now. For casual user even Less because Comp players just do everything to have NO LAG and it works.. NO LAG... but for casual user + the sharing problems + losing half of bandwith = youtube videos download way slower than a normal router it will be crap... just saying.

Comp Players Buy? Yes.

Casual Users Buy? No.

When the Bandwith sharing is fixed i can say "Welcome to Netduma, the #1 GAMING Router on Earth." it should be called Netduma R1 FTW (For the Win.)

Your dad and your mom can enjoy cat videos in 1080p and you can play and win tournaments and comp matches because your router is using 99% of you bandwith ! yay (why 99% ? because you cap it atleast to 99% to have no stuttering while playing.)

Netduma IM OPEN for any sugesstions how i can setup my router to have 99% shared bandwith and not only half of it...

• Netduma Staff

Hey,

I'll answer a few of your points.

"Weird Zoom instead of just making zoom as Scrollwheel" - I believe this was done to make it mobile compatible as well.

"Can't block a static IP or MAC (I personaly didn't found this option)" - You should be able to block static IPs (maybe you meant dedicated servers) and you can't block MAC addresses as they're only visible from the first hop.

"There is no Hotkey where you can enable this or something like a APP when you start a game that this Feature will be enabled" - there are profiles in the next version which may help with this.

"No prioritisation possible when someone is downloading and nolifing while watching youtube videos... or cap someones bandwith for exaple to max 400kb/s" - on the next version there is download device prioritisation (it is on the current version but is buggy).

In the next version, the device prioritisation issues are fixed and the router is overall more user friendly.

Hopefully this addresses some of your concerns :)

Hey,

I'll answer a few of your points.

"Weird Zoom instead of just making zoom as Scrollwheel" - I believe this was done to make it mobile compatible as well.

"Can't block a static IP or MAC (I personaly didn't found this option)" - You should be able to block static IPs (maybe you meant dedicated servers) and you can't block MAC addresses as they're only visible from the first hop.

"There is no Hotkey where you can enable this or something like a APP when you start a game that this Feature will be enabled" - there are profiles in the next version which may help with this.

"No prioritisation possible when someone is downloading and nolifing while watching youtube videos... or cap someones bandwith for exaple to max 400kb/s" - on the next version there is download device prioritisation (it is on the current version but is buggy).

In the next version, the device prioritisation issues are fixed and the router is overall more user friendly.

Hopefully this addresses some of your concerns :)

Sounds really amazing! Now the question is, when is the new update coming out ?

Zooming in and out of maps is a huge pain and feels dated in such an otherwise modern looking and functioning software.  I hope it's something they can take a look at once more important things are taken cared of.

• Administrators

Zooming in and out of maps is a huge pain and feels dated in such an otherwise modern looking and functioning software.  I hope it's something they can take a look at once more important things are taken cared of.

There are a couple of Zoom related tickets in the ticket system :)

Videos lagging on 480p.. Normal? Yes No ?

Old router 1440p@60 no lagging at all + people was watching some pages online and still no laging... now i lag with a joke like 480p Videos.

How about making Netduma Users happy and make small updates and small fixes so the humanity will see that you do something.

For now i see only "We are working on this." so you #A Have no idea how to fix it, #B You want just make all Netduma Users mad because you want to make a BIG BIG BIG update (after 1-2 Years) that will fix everything, #C You just talk..

• Netduma Staff

Old router 1440p@60 no lagging at all + people was watching some pages online and still no laging... now i lag with a joke like 480p Videos.

How about making Netduma Users happy and make small updates and small fixes so the humanity will see that you do something.

For now i see only "We are working on this." so you #A Have no idea how to fix it, #B You want just make all Netduma Users mad because you want to make a BIG BIG BIG update (after 1-2 Years) that will fix everything, #C You just talk..

Depends what your congestion control is set to, if you are on Wifi, what speeds you are getting etc.

You clearly don't know what you are talking about, because all three of your options (a, b and c) are not what is happening.

Updates aren't released until they are ready, and as of now, there isn't one ready.

As has been seen over many months now, "YOUR EXPERIENCE" will be different to most other peoples, this comment "Download-Upload CAP:
+ Must Have (lower Lag when much Bandwidth used) (Info just set it to 99% you don't need to go lower.)" is very very wrong.

The router does not advertise that it will turn you into a gaming god and it will not. It will do exactly what it says it will do.

I love mine :)

You need to test for your own connection.

• Administrators

If you provide us with your congestion control settings we can help.

If you provide us with your congestion control settings we can help.

Tell me all what you want to know, when i make speedtest.net 12.5mb (normal speed +/-0.5mb on all routers so netduma ist slower or faster)

But when i play a youtube video... omg i set Congestion to 300ms and max range.

The buffering is so lame i can just freakout, even my parents are mad and yell a little because nothing is working... some pages don't even load.. or it doesn't load the php scripts or something you press buttons no load and that stuff. INFO, when i changed the router i didn't install anything or reinstall windows or anything else..

I know what i, talking if you have another opinion them dont say that mine is wrong.

Opinions are only ever valid when facts are not involved, e.g I might like pasta but you might not & I can never change your opinion as we are both different people with individual tastes.

Your basing your opinion on something we all/mostly own that is the R1. All our Netduma R1's are the same so the only difference with us all is our individual isp's, internet speed and connection (cable, adsl, dsl, fttp, fttc).

So, starting from basics, you need to reset distribution and then APPLY settings in Congestion Control tab as this maybe is the only bug. Don't adjust this ever.

Next step is to give us your isp down/upload speeds, also ask isp if this is PPoE. Input these.

Scroll down to the bottom of any page and check which firmware you are running, it should be 1.03.5, if its not then you need to upgrade. When you upgrade, you need to goto each individual page & change the settings to match how you had them set before the update.

I don't know why you are setting ping assist to 300ms to watch youtube video's ? Those settings are for gaming which tells the R1 to only find matches where the ping is at that ms level or lower. If you lag then you should only move the download/upload bars to a percentage that suits your isp. The recommended setting is 70% but this can have different effects depending on isp/speed/jitter. No one is dictating what you should set them to, just guidance advice.

In my opinion I don't think you read as much as you should or follow instructions. The things you complain about are old now plus are being rectified in the new firmware due in FEBRUARY 2016... so your opinion doesn't count as people like me with some of the worst states of internet and also an average gamer, own and know how to fully operate the R1.

In my opinion I think a few people don't want to learn how to use equipment. They just want to press one button & take a trial & error approach then complain on said forum with an attitude. Knowledge is books so some users need to stick around the forum longer and get some homework done instead of waiting for the spoon to feed. I see user errors on the increase saying they've checked everything only for Iain or Fraser to do a one-2-one and find out they did not check so everyone who chips in to advise wastes their time ???

Tell me all what you want to know, when i make speedtest.net 12.5mb (normal speed +/-0.5mb on all routers so netduma ist slower or faster)

But when i play a youtube video... omg i set Congestion to 300ms and max range.

The buffering is so lame i can just freakout, even my parents are mad and yell a little because nothing is working... some pages don't even load.. or it doesn't load the php scripts or something you press buttons no load and that stuff. INFO, when i changed the router i didn't install anything or reinstall windows or anything else..

Congestion control is not the ping assist or geo filter that you state here.

You sir are clearly very special.. And if you do not recognize that the people here are being incredibly gracious in attempting to answer your barely coherent questions, given your limited understanding of not particularly complicated software, as well as tolerating your abrasive communication style and offering possible solutions nonetheless... well there is little more that can be offered. 

Some people don't want to be helped,they just want to complain about stuff if it's not plug and play.

If he doesn't want to post his diagnostics then he's on his own IMO as he's refusing to help the people trying to help him.

Let me simplify...if you want help DerPolacke post your diagnostics like Crossy and Fraser asked you to so they can get your issue sorted out or quit bitchin about your router not working as your offering NO HELP on your end.

Some people don't want to be helped,they just want to complain about stuff if it's not plug and play.

If he doesn't want to post his diagnostics then he's on his own IMO as he's refusing to help the people trying to help him.

Let me simplify...if you want help DerPolacke post your diagnostics like Crossy and Fraser asked you to so they can get your issue sorted out or quit bitchin about your router not working as your offering NO HELP on your end.

This exactly, this device is not plug and play it is never advertised or presented as such. I personally had serious issues with performance UNTIL I got it configured correctly and now it's amazing.

I wrote something long but i decided to delete it because i could somehow be a little bit agressive (not nice).

@People that say i refuse help.

If i didn't need help i could NOW:
1. Play a game.
2. Play with my dog.
3. Write my website.

4. Watch a movie on amazon.

5. Watch my fav subbed youtubers.

6. Make some Videos.

7. Chat

8. Go to work. (We have a own company so i can work when i want)

So how you see i can do anything else than sitting here for fun or to troll. (I'm 21 so i'm way to old and i don't waste time for crap like this.)
I will also report all who say "he refuses help <cry cry>" because i don't need this.

@People that WANT to help me.

Thank you for taking your time to help me, someone said to me i need to reset the distribution and this is what i did. I also didn't touch anything there, i somehow got disconnected 5-10min ago from CSGO server (no one is at home im alone) so i don't know why this happen.

I would be thankful if someone could say me what i need to configure on my router to fix these "delays", when i klick something it needs weeks to load a page or youtube videos. i can't watch videos on youtube in 1080p. I reset the distribution and all caps are on 100%. I didn't setup any ports or anything like this.

Time to make a youtube video where you don't pay people to say amazing stuff about Netduma. Have a great day. Somehow for no reason my Netduma Router got infected, on purpose by Netduma Team?

All devices have a virus now.

Video will be online this weekend. Bye.

Time to make a youtube video where you don't pay people to say amazing stuff about Netduma. Have a great day. Somehow for no reason my Netduma Router got infected, on purpose by Netduma Team?

I know we're not supposed to insult each other here , but I'm beginning to legitimately question whether or not you're *special*...

The netduma team always dedicates their precious time to helping members of the community , it's extremely insulting the fact that you would accuse them of anything malicious

You probably downloaded a runescape gold generator or some shit and infected yourself , anyways , you're to blame , not the netduma

You were offered help , but you obviously don't want it , good luck with your youtube video..

It has to be said after your above statements....you believe that the duma team infected your router with a virus...you sir are a dumbass.

And no there is nothing polite about that statement but it is accurate.

It has to be said after your above statements....you believe that the duma team infected your router with a virus...you sir are a dumbass.

And no there is nothing polite about that statement but it is accurate.

Didn't want an infraction so thanks for taking one for the team lol

Archived