Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who do you have your broadband with ? (UK Guys)

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM
  • LocationNorth West England

Do you have the option of fibre in your area?

OK here's the worrying bit - that IS fibre :( !

6689567882.png

23041215.png

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Sure here you go, I took this just now (I got up about 5 mins ago) so this would have been with no-one using the connection.

http://imgur.com/ayyIGJS

To answer your question I had congestion control set at 70/70 all yesterday, I didn't make any changes.  Also just to confirm I am testing over ethernet cable to the R1.

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK

OK here's the worrying bit - that IS fibre :( !

No you are on cable with Virgin.

To get a flat line boom the IP you are pinging has to be responding well (not under stress its self) I can get a flat line early in the morning when twitter is not being battered and of course my ISP is less utilized.

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

No you are on cable with Virgin.

To get a flat line boom the IP you are pinging has to be responding well (not under stress its self) I can get a flat line early in the morning when twitter is not being battered and of course my ISP is less utilized.

Sorry it might be me being dumb but I thought Virgin cable was fibre, have I got it wrong ?

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK

Sorry it might be me being dumb but I thought Virgin cable was fibre, have I got it wrong ?

Clue is in the word cable ;)

Couldn't resist sorry, Virgin users tend to see jitter like yours.

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Clue is in the word cable ;)

Couldn't resist sorry, Virgin users tend to see jitter like yours.

But they advertise it as fibre optic cable ?  I'm so confused.  I think I need to give all this up and do something less complicated like watch Inception in French  :D

So to cut a long story short we think that I'm stuck with the network jitter unless I switch providers ?  Might be time to consider a switch to BT then I guess based on some of the comments on here.

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK

I will let others say what you should do, but I would not even consider Virgin as a gamer but that's just me.

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Thanks for all the help to date guys.  I'm going to have a chat with Virgin to see if there's anything they can do to improve the quality of my connection but if they aren't able to do something for me then it may be time for a change.  I've been having a look at these guys, has anyone had any experience with them ?

http://gaming.idnet.uk/

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK
I have used IDNet for standard ADSL years ago and they were a good ISP.

Big_Dog a member here is using them at the moment, PM him he's is a good lad and will help you out.

Vader

Vader

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

ordered gaming isp yesterday be activated on 15/02 thats idnet with prioritized gaming traffic cant wait.!

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

I have used IDNet for standard ADSL years ago and they were a good ISP.

Big_Dog a member here is using them at the moment, PM him he's is a good lad and will help you out.

Once again, thank you very much  ;)

6689567882.png

23041215.png

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

ordered gaming isp yesterday be activated on 15/02 thats idnet with prioritized gaming traffic cant wait.!

Nice one, will you let me know how you get on with them ?  I'm going to send an enquiry off to them today to confirm what I can get at my house.

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Dialatech

Dialatech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

I'm with Virgin Media Gamer Package. Its very good most of the time. But Ping Time and Latency is an issue with Virgin Media always as been.

TurboBaron

TurboBaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

POPULAR

I'm with Virgin Media Gamer Package. Its very good most of the time. But Ping Time and Latency is an issue with Virgin Media always as been.

Yeah this is the problem that ping plotter has shown on my connection.  I've given Virgin the chance to see if there's anything they can do about it (which seems only fair), but I strongly suspect that there won't be much if my network is oversubscribed.  I'm guessing this whole "problem at peak times" is all down to there being too many people on the circuit in the first place.  What's more concerning is the fact that they said the same thing a year or so ago when I last got in touch around some similar issues I was having.  They've offered to knock some money off my bill which is great and all, but what I really want is a really decent connection.

When I come to think of it I've got so many devices in my that all make use of the internet, and also as I often work from home (honest guv) it just doesn't make sense to me to put up with a naff connection.

What I live in fear of now is moving to a better provider, getting the R1 set up and then getting smashed at CoD, and it'll turn out that my connection was never the issue I'm just not very good at games  :D  :(  :lol:

6689567882.png

23041215.png

Sinister0208

Sinister0208

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

I have been with Virgin Media for several years now and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, I am sadly stuck with VM as I can't get BT Infinity. 

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

I'm with the P.O.S jitter-fest known as Virgin :(

Zennon

Zennon

Forum Legend

• Administrators
  • 6,577 posts
  • LocationUK

I'm with the P.O.S jitter-fest known as Virgin :(

:unsure: I wish you guys could get fibre, it's such a shame.

N3CR0

N3CR0

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

:unsure: I wish you guys could get fibre, it's such a shame.

If it were up to me, I'd change ISP's. The billpayer is always moaning about the price going up, maybe I can convince them to change.

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

One day, everyone will have a lightening fast ping, reliable connections, and all the bandwidth you can dream of.

Not in our lifetimes of course.

No, we'll be long dead by then.

But many years from now, our great-great-great-great-great-great-etc grandchildren, they might see it.

Just in time for the Sun to burn out.

Then they will do cave paintings (in the dark) about how good we had it with our sometimes wobbly internet and non-face-melting-sunshine.

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

IDNet_Nikos

IDNet_Nikos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Great to see so much support for our Gaming packages and service in general! Thanks, Guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users