Who do you have your broadband with ? (UK Guys)

TurboBaron

I have used IDNet for standard ADSL years ago and they were a good ISP.

Big_Dog a member here is using them at the moment, PM him he's is a good lad and will help you out.

Once again, thank you very much  ;)

ordered gaming isp yesterday be activated on 15/02 thats idnet with prioritized gaming traffic cant wait.!

Nice one, will you let me know how you get on with them ?  I'm going to send an enquiry off to them today to confirm what I can get at my house.

• 3 weeks later...

One day, everyone will have a lightening fast ping, reliable connections, and all the bandwidth you can dream of.

Not in our lifetimes of course.

No, we'll be long dead by then.

But many years from now, our great-great-great-great-great-great-etc grandchildren, they might see it.

Just in time for the Sun to burn out.

Then they will do cave paintings (in the dark) about how good we had it with our sometimes wobbly internet and non-face-melting-sunshine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

OK guys so to give you all a quick update on my situation....

I finally ran out of patience with Virgin and decided to change providers, and based on the feedback from you guys I've decided to give BT a go.  I've been able to organise free installation of a new phone line which may not sound like a big deal, but it's important for me because I don't currently have one which means I'm tied to Virgin for my broadband.  Having a phone line opens up more possibilities in terms of switching to other providers in the future.

So my thinking is to give BT a go for a year and see how we go.  I've gone for the Infinity 2 service so I might need to ask for some advice in setting up my new router to work with the R1 when it arrives, and all being well I should be up and running on BT by Friday 22nd September.

Thanks again to everyone that chipped in with advice, hopefully this should get me sorted  ;)

OK guys so to give you all a quick update on my situation....

I finally ran out of patience with Virgin and decided to change providers, and based on the feedback from you guys I've decided to give BT a go.  I've been able to organise free installation of a new phone line which may not sound like a big deal, but it's important for me because I don't currently have one which means I'm tied to Virgin for my broadband.  Having a phone line opens up more possibilities in terms of switching to other providers in the future.

So my thinking is to give BT a go for a year and see how we go.  I've gone for the Infinity 2 service so I might need to ask for some advice in setting up my new router to work with the R1 when it arrives, and all being well I should be up and running on BT by Friday 22nd September.

Thanks again to everyone that chipped in with advice, hopefully this should get me sorted  ;)

Add your Netduma's WAN IP into the HH6 Firewall / DMZ section while your console is off :)

Id check that your line is capable of delivering what Infinity 2 has to offer. They tried to sell me infinity 2 despite my line not able to deal with it as 1 gave me the max I can get. 

Other than that I've not had many issues and the line is very stable. Good luck. :)

Id check that your line is capable of delivering what Infinity 2 has to offer. They tried to sell me infinity 2 despite my line not able to deal with it as 1 gave me the max I can get. 

Other than that I've not had many issues and the line is very stable. Good luck. :)

That will be down to how close you are to the closest green fibre cabinet in the street.

I'm still thinking of getting rid of Virgin Media. I have had so many issues with virgin media of late.

4 Engineer visits none of them turned up

Being talked to like a piece of shit on the phone ( One agent called me a lair and put the phone down)

the worse of all is that when i said i have a non verbal disabled child ( He has Autism) and he cant use his speaking app on his ipad. The virgin media agent turned around and said that not my problem tho . I'm starting to get really annoyed with virgin media now. 

Yeah man, we got them to go through all that stuff at the point of order.  Asked about what process they follow should they complete the install and the speeds not being up to what's been promised just to mark their card.  We've been told we should get between 60 and 80 mb down, and between 15 and 20 up.  Whilst we're supposed to get 200 down and 20 up at the moment the network connection is up and down more than a bride's knickers, and it's starting to get on my tits.

I'm still thinking of getting rid of Virgin Media. I have had so many issues with virgin media of late.

4 Engineer visits none of them turned up

Being talked to like a piece of shit on the phone ( One agent called me a lair and put the phone down)

the worse of all is that when i said i have a non verbal disabled child ( He has Autism) and he cant use his speaking app on his ipad. The virgin media agent turned around and said that not my problem tho . I'm starting to get really annoyed with virgin media now. 

That sounds lousy buddy, sorry to hear you're having such a rubbish experience.  My experience has been slightly different, the guys I've dealt with have been painfully nice, but I don't think there's an awful lot they can do about the problems we're having.

My recommendation (if you haven't done it already) would be to sign up for the community forums and post about your issues there - some of the mods are pretty switched on characters and you don't have to do the whole talk to someone in broken english bullshit that you do if you ring up in the evening.  Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds lousy buddy, sorry to hear you're having such a rubbish experience.  My experience has been slightly different, the guys I've dealt with have been painfully nice, but I don't think there's an awful lot they can do about the problems we're having.

My recommendation (if you haven't done it already) would be to sign up for the community forums and post about your issues there - some of the mods are pretty switched on characters and you don't have to do the whole talk to someone in broken english bullshit that you do if you ring up in the evening.  Worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

Yeah i have signed up the forums but no reply yet. apparently it can take up to 3 weeks for a reply :(

OK, so BT line is in and up and running with no issues.  Early tests run via wireless were pretty good, so bearing in mind they said I should get up to 80 MB down and 20 MB up my first wireless test got me 75 down and 18 up.  I've run a wireless test later in the evening (about half 9) and was only getting 25 down 8 up, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on over the coming 10 days as apparently they monitor and tinker with the line to get me the best speeds possible - like everything I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been searching for instructions on how to put the BT Smart Hub into modem only mode, but if I've understood correctly you can't actually do this and have to just turn off the wireless, connect up the R1 and then get all your devices to draw from the R1, is this correct ?  Many thanks in advance for your help forum ninjas  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

OK, so BT line is in and up and running with no issues.  Early tests run via wireless were pretty good, so bearing in mind they said I should get up to 80 MB down and 20 MB up my first wireless test got me 75 down and 18 up.  I've run a wireless test later in the evening (about half 9) and was only getting 25 down 8 up, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on over the coming 10 days as apparently they monitor and tinker with the line to get me the best speeds possible - like everything I'll believe it when I see it.

I've been searching for instructions on how to put the BT Smart Hub into modem only mode, but if I've understood correctly you can't actually do this and have to just turn off the wireless, connect up the R1 and then get all your devices to draw from the R1, is this correct ?  Many thanks in advance for your help forum ninjas  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Thats how I have mine set up. BT HH connected to Netduma, turn off wireless on HH and DMZ'd the Duma on the HH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey guys, I'm with bt also and have a smart hub, is there a way to just use the netduma for PS4 and have all other devices in the house connected to the smart hub wirelessly?

If you want to but you wouldn't be able to use congestion control. Just the Geo-filter.