Feedback on good headsets?

AnonymousBleach

Actually, it cost me only US$245.17(SGD$349) during its preview and pre-launch event. 

And Creative has a lot of sales events on their own Web-Store. So it's best to check them out there and subscribe to their email newsletters to get their best prices.  :) 

Experience wise, you'll notice the difference almost immediately. You can also really dial in on those footsteps and lower/mute other noises to give you a competitive edge which worked extremely well with Black Ops 3 beta.

It would be good if they made a version without the speaker amp section to bring the price down for just an headphone mixamp.

Have you rolled the OpAmps ? I have rolled and I find the Muses01 to be sooo good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Astro A40's (with the mix amp) are very good sound/voice quality, i use them with on the PS4. However, after this purchase i found out that Sennheiser make gaming headsets, i have been using their HD25's professionally (they are pretty much the industry standard for DJ's) for over 10 years and if their gaming headsets are of the same quality then I would definitely put those on your research list. 

something that hasnt been adressed yet but should be considered by everyone that invest more bucks for better audio quality:

1)

the turtle beach dss2 gives a lot better sound and soundquality than the mixamp

same counts for most other gaming dobly decoders like the creative recon (slightly better) or actual audio receivers (equally good)

reason is that the mixamps chat mixer queued into the audio chain reduces the overal clearness of the sound quite a lot

since the dss2 doesnt have a chatmixer theres an easy solution for that, unlike the dss1 the dss2 offers a line in port

connect that port with the chat output from ps4 of xbox one along with a cheap pre-amp and you got a chatmixer similar to the mixamp

mic connected as regular to ps4 or xbox one preferably with a splitter or via cheap usb soundcard on the ps4

the only thing that really speaks for the mixamp is its simplicity as an all-in-one unit

2)

those running on mixamps to not drown in additional cables because of option 1), you should consider to have your mixamp being powered by a pc instead of the console

not only reduces this potential static noises but also you can configure the mixamp as an external soundcard via pc

my mixamp (2011/2012 built) came with a default bass reduction of 20%, this is great for sound whoring but for those that want to experience the game and be immersed by the game the lack of bass isnt really helpfull at all

also you can configure a lot more stuff there

another plus is that you can talk to and hear the pc at the same time allowing you to listen to music or to voice chat via teamspeak or skype which then dont have the regular nat issues known from pc

You all have some really amazing setups! I love it.

I've been upgrading my sound setup as it really does make the biggest impact to my games.

As many have said, gaming headphones are really awful in comparison to cheaper yet better alternatives out there.

I used to have the Astro mixamp as my main amp for gaming separate from my theatre system.

Then I changed my theatre system and bought Creative Sound Blaster X7 which replaced both my Theatre Sound System setup as well as my gaming setup due to the many sound settings that I can do with it.

The Creative X7's settings with its very customizable sound settings let me hear footsteps much more easily than my Astro Mixamp.

Astro have been promising customization on the mixamp since they announced it and till now, that didn't happen.

As for headphones, I use the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro which completely beat the Astro A40 headphone along with the Sennheiser PC350.

Not to mention, it's a lot cheaper than either of those 'Gaming Headphones'.

I'd highly recommend checking out the Custom One Pro at your local stores since it was a lot more cheaper for mine than it is at Amazon right now.

Note: Turtle Beach headsets spoil in just months of use. Don't ever get it.

Current Best Setup for Gaming and Theatre System - Creative Sound Blaster X7 + Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

Creative Sound Blaster X7 - http://www.amazon.com/Creative-X7-High-Resolution-Headphone-Connectivity/dp/B00Q3XLGLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443365439&sr=8-1&keywords=sound+blaster+x7

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-Custom-Headphone-Accessory-microphone/dp/B00PK2LJ4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443365316&sr=8-1&keywords=custom+one+pro

Astro Mixamp (cheaper alternative) - http://www.amazon.com/MixAmp-Pro-TR-PS4-playstation-4/dp/B014H2W1YO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1443365392&sr=8-4&keywords=astro+mixamp

There no mic on that headphone, I know you can have modmic and they do an attachment mic but amazon reviews not good for that.

There no mic on that headphone, I know you can have modmic and they do an attachment mic but amazon reviews not good for that.

There is the Custom One Pro's official mic. It's a separate accessory so gamers can use it as a functioning gaming headset. Like I said, there are cheaper alternatives other than Amazon's list price at the moment. And you are better off using your own 3.55mm cable instead of this one. My Custom One Pro's cables just failed me a few days ago too.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro microphone add-on - http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-COP-Headset-Gear-Microphone/dp/B00DHBVUCQ/ref=pd_sim_23_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=08KNVCYQRZ3X9N3EJM2C&dpID=41BVx4rTJ3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR159%2C160_

There is the Custom One Pro's official mic. It's a separate accessory so gamers can use it as a functioning gaming headset. Like I said, there are cheaper alternatives other than Amazon's list price at the moment. And you are better off using your own 3.55mm cable instead of this one. My Custom One Pro's cables just failed me a few days ago too.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro microphone add-on - http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-COP-Headset-Gear-Microphone/dp/B00DHBVUCQ/ref=pd_sim_23_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=08KNVCYQRZ3X9N3EJM2C&dpID=41BVx4rTJ3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR159%2C160_

These things are seriousy wide on the sound stage, great for teling where enemys are, behind walls running down hall ways, behind you etc.

AW sound is crap so they do not work on there, nothing does , but Ghosts and bops2 & 3 and mw3 wow just wow, Dead silence and awareness =  soundwhoring heaven :)

They are so light you will forget you have them on.

Hey Zennon.  I received my Sony's.  I definitely hear a big difference between them and the Astro's, and they are really comfortable. Thanks for the recommendation. I would say the Sony's beat the A40's for sound.  I decided on the Antlion Audio mic, but it's too sensitive and it picks up the sound coming from the headphones and transmits them into the game. We all know how annoying that is to other players.

Olympus makes a sound canceling mic so I'm going to try that instead.  Here's the link for the noise canceling mic, but anyone who reads this...I don't know how it works yet.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L7ZDTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Hey Zennon.  I received my Sony's.  I definitely hear a big difference between them and the Astro's, and they are really comfortable. Thanks for the recommendation. I would say the Sony's beat the A40's for sound.  I decided on the Antlion Audio mic, but it's too sensitive and it picks up the sound coming from the headphones and transmits them into the game. We all know how annoying that is to other players.

Olympus makes a sound canceling mic so I'm going to try that instead.  Here's the link for the noise canceling mic, but anyone who reads this...I don't know how it works yet.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L7ZDTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Great news major they are one of the lighest HP's out there, dead silence and awareness in ghosts and bops 2 feels like cheating with these beasts ;)

Bops 3 was great as well :)

Worth the wait.

Which version of the mix amp do you have?

Mine is this one I have dolby digital on and the eq button set to top right.

have this too, have you had any problems with a high pitched noise in the background? they say you need a usb3 to connect them.

I have astro a40s and a50s and oh my god I will never go back to turtlebeach. I wear my a50s for 4-6 hours at a time, they dont go flat for about 12 hours, they feel weightless and I love them. However my a50s disconnect every now and then when I turn them on (you just have to push the power button on the base and headset and then they are fine) but this is only when I turn them on so no big issue and I think it is just a fault

have this too, have you had any problems with a high pitched noise in the background? they say you need a usb3 to connect them.

No I do not hear a high pitched noise in the background.

I have mine xbox one digital audio out then in Settings > Display and sound > Bitstream format > Select “Dolby Digital”

If you have it set up like this it might be a noisy USB,  power to close to the mixamp or you have not done the FW update for the mixamp.

I had the noise issue when I had the mixamp attached to the XB, so I used a separate USB to AC (basic phone charger that plugs into a wall) and plugged it into a power strip/surge suppressor.  Works great.

Yes with a clip on mic :)

Zen, have you been able to find a mic that was workable with the sound leakage of the open back HP's?  Both of the ones I've tried are too sensitive and end up transmitting the game sound back through the mic.

I use the Zalman ZMMIC1 Lapel Microphone

The ModMic is popular with gamers using HP for audio.

By leakage what is happening, are your party members complaining about sound or mic echo?

they're saying they can hear the audio of my games from my headphones, especially during explosions.

I tried the modmic  it had the same effect. I must have the sound turned up to loud.

Ive asked my party if they can hear my audio and they said no and i have mine loud.

A mate of mine used to forget to turn the sound down on his tv even though he had headphones on, could that be the issue?

IMO the best review of gaming headsets I've even seen is on head-fi.org by MLE (mad  lust envy) extremely in depth and talks about every set of cans made and it's updated on a regular basis.

And it's at all price points,not just the high end stuff.It's definitely work a look as it's a great read.

And my opinion on astros is they are over priced for what they are and sub par as far as a good set of cans go.Again this is just my opinion and yes I have tried both the 40's and 50's,but I do like the mix amp.I would just get a different set of cans to go with it.

Archived