Add “Halo Infinite” severs and geo filtering

Hey guys! Well I have some very bad news as well.. I now never get a closer server. Im going to go on here again to see whats going on here.. Something isnt right with this update.. I dont think the game is Geo locating me/us properly.. I am a US player and it hasnt put me on even a somewhat close server yet..

As broken as Halo Infinite is who says this update they gave us isnt broke!  Im very disappointed in 343..

Thanks!

Zippy

5 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Liam @Zippy

So 343i have finally released an official statement with regards to both geo filtering and the online multiplayer experience. I haven’t tested if their fix against geo filtering works in any capacity but your thoughts and feedback to both of these articles would be interesting:

Halo Infinite - Update on Latency and Geo Filtering: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/t/halo-infinite-update-on-latency-geofiltering/501149/

CLOSER LOOK: HALO INFINITE’S ONLINE EXPERIENCE:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/closer-look-halo-infinite-online-experience

Thank you on keeping us posted about this.. It greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Zippy.

43 minutes ago, Yale king said:

After 343 geo filtering new update today (2-10-22), anybody know how to bypass this ?

Nope. I’ve done some minor testing and have a few theories but don’t know if there’s any substance to it yet.

15 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Not sure who you are replying to but my understanding is that geo filter has to be turned off completely rather than using ping assist. I haven't been on today so have you tested if this works?

Update from last night. Removed geo filter for xbox and removed polygon drawing around UK (my location), then put home location to middle of atlantic ocean with 111km (minimum) distance with 50 ping assist. Found I was getting into games then with no issues. I actually was put on the same server I was getting before which is oddly located in the US (central) which I suspect is a misplaced server? see snip below for ID. Haven't tested today but I got into about 6 consecutive matches no problem last nigh.image.png.acbcf9ff4c8b44f4bce166fd39568fa6.png

1 hour ago, Cajun72 said:

Update from last night. Removed geo filter for xbox and removed polygon drawing around UK (my location), then put home location to middle of atlantic ocean with 111km (minimum) distance with 50 ping assist. Found I was getting into games then with no issues. I actually was put on the same server I was getting before which is oddly located in the US (central) which I suspect is a misplaced server? see snip below for ID. Haven't tested today but I got into about 6 consecutive matches no problem last nigh.image.png.acbcf9ff4c8b44f4bce166fd39568fa6.png

Do you know which server you connected to and at what ping? If you’re based in UK and connecting to central US then that would be Chicago at about 150ms.

All I did was turn off “strict” on my geo filter (still had home location set as UK with 250 mile radius despite it no longer actively doing anything) and I was able to join games no issue without the error message, and with auto ping server enabled I could see which servers I was connecting to and what ping. I tested 10x Quick Play games and connected to 6x EU (mostly Amsterdam) and 4x US servers (Dallas and Washington DC). The games on US servers were predictably terrible being connected at 115ms and 85ms respectively, but EU servers were decent at 18ms.

25 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Do you know which server you connected to and at what ping? If you’re based in UK and connecting to central US then that would be Chicago at about 150ms.

All I did was turn off “strict” on my geo filter (still had home location set as UK with 250 mile radius despite it no longer actively doing anything) and I was able to join games no issue without the error message, and with auto ping server enabled I could see which servers I was connecting to and what ping. I tested 10x Quick Play games and connected to 6x EU (mostly Amsterdam) and 4x US servers (Dallas and Washington DC). The games on US servers were predictably terrible being connected at 115ms and 85ms respectively, but EU servers were decent at 18ms.

The server ID was on the screen shot I attached (see my last message). The ping was 21ms on all 6 games. hit detection spot on and no issues at all. Maybe Fraser can tell from ID where it is? but I doubt it actually is in US with that low ping. 

I turned off strict like you did but only difference is in home location in Atlantic ocean with minimal radius - so to let the ping work instead of the geo filter

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Cajun72 said:

The server ID was on the screen shot I attached (see my last message). The ping was 21ms on all 6 games. hit detection spot on and no issues at all. Maybe Fraser can tell from ID where it is? but I doubt it actually is in US with that low ping. 

I turned off strict like you did but only difference is in home location in Atlantic ocean with minimal radius - so to let the ping work instead of the geo filter

Definitely mislocated, it's actually a server in Ireland

59 minutes ago, Cajun72 said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think it matters now where we set our home location or whether geo filter is set by distance, polygon or ping assist if “strict” is disabled as that basically means the geo filter rules aren’t being actively applied and is effectively in “spectator mode”. I’m sure @Netduma Frasercould confirm if that’s correct. 

My understanding from the 343i update at this stage is that any kind of geo filter (whether that be via distance, polygon or ping) will simply result in the error message and prevent us from being able to search for games…which is why having just “strict” disabled allows us to find and play games (even if it is by 343i rules). This also means there’s nothing stopping us from being placed on US servers (which is why I connected to 4x US servers in my test games).

49 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Definitely mislocated, it's actually a server in Ireland

Hi Fraser. Just a quick question about saved allowed/denied servers…if I ever need to factory reset my R2 (ie may be for doing a firmware updated), is there any way to extract the servers that I have denied and allowed, and import them back into DumaOS?

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I may be wrong but I don’t think it matters now where we set our home location or whether geo filter is set by distance, polygon or ping assist if “strict” is disabled as that basically means the geo filter rules aren’t being actively applied and is effectively in “spectator mode”. I’m sure @Netduma Frasercould confirm if that’s correct. 

My understanding from the 343i update at this stage is that any kind of geo filter (whether that be via distance, polygon or ping) will simply result in the error message and prevent us from being able to search for games…which is why having just “strict” disabled allows us to find and play games (even if it is by 343i rules). This also means there’s nothing stopping us from being placed on US servers (which is why I connected to 4x US servers in my test games).

So Strict Mode was really only implemented for Destiny and since they made their changes it's not really applicable to that either. Basically with strict mode disabled it will allow servers outside your zone but it would still block peers. As Halo is a server based game it wouldn't really be filtered unless there was a server miscategorized as a peer outside your radius in which case it would be blocked and you'd get that message on the game.

9 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Hi Fraser. Just a quick question about saved allowed/denied servers…if I ever need to factory reset my R2 (ie may be for doing a firmware updated), is there any way to extract the servers that I have denied and allowed, and import them back into DumaOS?

Not currently no but that is something we're looking to do along with a general backup feature

I also have a couple of other theories that need further testing…the main one being the difference between Social and Ranked playlists.

I was only testing Quick Play in Social last night, and my theory is that SBMM has been toned down or removed. In the 343i statement that said that they will be prioritising ping over skill, and this aligns with my experience on EU servers as the players I was being matched with and against were terrible…so bad I thought some of them were Marine level bots or I’d been shadow banned! 😂

What I still need to test is Ranked and I just don’t see how they can prioritise ping in their current system whilst maintaining skill level matches. As such, my theory is that we may well find ourselves placed on more US servers in Ranked…but this needs to be tested fully.

I also believe that results may fluctuate depending on time of day so both of these scenarios will need to be tested at different times of day.

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

So Strict Mode was really only implemented for Destiny and since they made their changes it's not really applicable to that either. Basically with strict mode disabled it will allow servers outside your zone but it would still block peers. As Halo is a server based game it wouldn't really be filtered unless there was a server miscategorized as a peer outside your radius in which case it would be blocked and you'd get that message on the game.

Not currently no but that is something we're looking to do along with a general backup feature

Thanks Fraser. So simply disabling strict mode is the right way to disable geo filter for Halo Infinite or should we be doing it a different way? I also presume disabling strict mode has the same outcome whether we use distance based, polygon or ping assist for geo filter?

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Thanks Fraser. So simply disabling strict mode is the right way to disable geo filter for Halo Infinite or should we be doing it a different way? I also presume disabling strict mode has the same outcome whether we use distance based, polygon or ping assist for geo filter?

Yes it has the same outcome regardless. You can disable Strict Mode to disable filtering but if a server is misclassified as a peer you may still get the error every so often. Otherwise just disabling the Geo-Filter the main way under the device can be done.

How are you guys from the UK fairing out with this latest update where one cant use the Geo.. Are you getting put into game on the US servers now?

Thanks!

Zippy.

5 minutes ago, Zippy said:

How are you guys from the UK fairing out with this latest update where one cant use the Geo.. Are you getting put into game on the US servers now?

Thanks!

Zippy.

Last night was all US servers but something changed today ive had one US server the rest say 10 ranked matches all UK under 20ms ping so happy days if it stays that way..

Not great.

Peak times it's OK, but at other times of the day I find myself most likely to get put onto US servers (the R2's Geofilter shows the location)

Played Three ranked matches today at 157ms, 87ms and the third at 115ms all on US servers. Shots not registering, OHK's and dying around corners.

I've about done with the game at this stage, if 343i can't make the effort to add regional Server Selection as a menu option (something included in both Halo 5 and MCC) then I won't be playing their game and I'll find something more worthy of my time.

Disappointing because I've invested a fair amount of time into the multiplayer, having played around 1370 matches in total (and purchased the odd skin to support the team too).

Oh well, Forbidden West is on the Horizon (forgive the rubbish pun) and the week after Elden Ring, also an excuse to have a go at Hunt Showdown, a game that everybody tells me is great - so plenty to keep me busy!

im on 1069 games and since the update ive noticed a lot of ghost bullets people disappearing  or appearing from know were.

I am guilty of thinking that just because i was getting low ping it was all good but there is also a problem with SBM now.

In general every match feels awful no matter what the ping says.

Think i will just take a break.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Important reminder that because this is now occurring, using the router to get the best possible ping is even more important so do make sure to dial in QoS to what works best for you. 

I consecutively connected to EU servers in 10 games last night with 18ms ping but found them to be very laggy…however it was only when I loosened and then removed QoS that I found the in game performance significantly improved. My QoS settings were dialled in to give the best ping possible as per recommendations on here, but for me I found that the game performs better with QoS set to “never”.

What QoS settings is everyone else using and works best for Halo Infinite?

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I consecutively connected to EU servers in 10 games last night with 18ms ping but found them to be very laggy…however it was only when I loosened and then removed QoS that I found the in game performance significantly improved. My QoS settings were dialled in to give the best ping possible as per recommendations on here, but for me I found that the game performs better with QoS set to “never”.

What QoS settings is everyone else using and works best for Halo Infinite?

You might find more luck manually adding the ports for Halo on your platform to Traffic Prio, if you're currently using DumaOS classified games that is.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

You might find more luck manually adding the ports for Halo on your platform to Traffic Prio, if you're currently using DumaOS classified games that is.

Hi Liam. Thanks for the suggestion…but I’m not sure what that actually means. Could you explain more or tell me how to do that please?

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Hi Liam. Thanks for the suggestion…but I’m not sure what that actually means. Could you explain more or tell me how to do that please?

Sure! So Google "Halo Infitinite ports" and find the ports that Halo uses for whichever platform you're playing.

Then, go to DumaOS and under QoS -> Traffic Prioritisation, add a new rule.

Switch to the advanced tab and add source ports 1-65535, then the destination ports will be the range of ports you found from your search.

Select TCP and UDP as the service and see how that works for you.

Any other questions, just ask!

2 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sure! So Google "Halo Infitinite ports" and find the ports that Halo uses for whichever platform you're playing.

Then, go to DumaOS and under QoS -> Traffic Prioritisation, add a new rule.

Switch to the advanced tab and add source ports 1-65535, then the destination ports will be the range of ports you found from your search.

Select TCP and UDP as the service and see how that works for you.

Any other questions, just ask!

Thanks Liam. I’ll try set that up today.

Should this be used in conjunction with the QoS sliders and/or bandwidth allocation…or should this be sufficient on its own without any other QoS settings?