Add “Halo Infinite” severs and geo filtering

9 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Thanks Liam. I’ll try set that up today.

Should this be used in conjunction with the QoS sliders and/or bandwidth allocation…or should this be sufficient on its own without any other QoS settings?

Use it in conjunction with Congestion Control. Have that set at around 70% for both sliders and see how you get on.

1 hour ago, Netduma Liam said:

Sure! So Google "Halo Infitinite ports" and find the ports that Halo uses for whichever platform you're playing.

Then, go to DumaOS and under QoS -> Traffic Prioritisation, add a new rule.

Switch to the advanced tab and add source ports 1-65535, then the destination ports will be the range of ports you found from your search.

Select TCP and UDP as the service and see how that works for you.

Any other questions, just ask!

Ok I think I’ve set it up right. The ports for Xbox One X are as follows:

TCP: 3074

UDP: 88, 500, 3074-3075, 3544, 4500

…so is it right that I add a rule for each so have 6 new rules in total plus DumaOS Classified Games?

I’ve set them to Gaming/Voice and didn’t check the apply to WAN button. Is that correct?

Also do I need to reboot the R2 for these changes to apply or should it just work when I power on the console?

• Administrators

Yes that would be 6 rules but you will likely not need the 88 or 500 rule. 

If you're playing over WiFi then Gaming/Voice, if playing over ethernet pick Normal - regardless I would suggest enabling Apply to WAN as if your ISP supports priority tags you may have an improved performance.

No need to reboot, they will work when the console goes on. It is quite possible that not all the rules will appear to be used - it depends specifically on what they use during a game and what may be used occassionally.

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

You might find more luck manually adding the ports for Halo on your platform to Traffic Prio, if you're currently using DumaOS classified games that is.

Should I disable DumaOS classified now that I’ve added these new rules? 

7 hours ago, Yale king said:

On always or auto-enabled ?

41 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

I'd suggest auto-enable so your bandwidth isn't affected when you're not gaming.

I know you don’t need to but I tend to have DumaOS running on my MacBook during a gaming session, and even more so now as I’m monitoring server connections and ping for every game. Before powering on my console, I always quickly check my DumaOS settings and run a speed test to check my connection. As such, I tend to use “always” and then switch back to “never” when I stop playing. Probably a bit OTT but at least a bit of housekeeping means I’ve ruled out any issues on my end if the connection in game plays like a turd.

3 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I know you don’t need to but I tend to have DumaOS running on my MacBook during a gaming session, and even more so now as I’m monitoring server connections and ping for every game. Before powering on my console, I always quickly check my DumaOS settings and run a speed test to check my connection. As such, I tend to use “always” and then switch back to “never” when I stop playing. Probably a bit OTT but at least a bit of housekeeping means I’ve ruled out any issues on my end if the connection in game plays like a turd.

All good, always will work great too! Let us know if you have any other questions.

The game still plays like a total turd even at 20ms ping to EU servers, port forwarding and QoS…it actually feels worse with PF and QoS but it’s impossible to tell if it’s these settings, game code or servers tbh. Oh well…think I’ll just give up on this game and get Elden Ring.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

The game still plays like a total turd even at 20ms ping to EU servers, port forwarding and QoS…it actually feels worse with PF and QoS but it’s impossible to tell if it’s these settings, game code or servers tbh. Oh well…think I’ll just give up on this game and get Elden Ring.

I think a good test to see if it is your settings is to play during off peak times when the servers are generally under less load then play with and without and see what the experience is like.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think a good test to see if it is your settings is to play during off peak times when the servers are generally under less load then play with and without and see what the experience is like.

That’s what I’ve already been doing…I generally don’t get on until after 11pm and play for a few hours after. I’ve played with these settings on/off and there’s no major difference (if anything it feels worse with QoS enabled). The only test I can do now is play in peak hours which is what I’ll try to test this weekend.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:24 AM, QuackShot said:

Not great.

Peak times it's OK, but at other times of the day I find myself most likely to get put onto US servers (the R2's Geofilter shows the location)

Played Three ranked matches today at 157ms, 87ms and the third at 115ms all on US servers. Shots not registering, OHK's and dying around corners.

I've about done with the game at this stage, if 343i can't make the effort to add regional Server Selection as a menu option (something included in both Halo 5 and MCC) then I won't be playing their game and I'll find something more worthy of my time.

Disappointing because I've invested a fair amount of time into the multiplayer, having played around 1370 matches in total (and purchased the odd skin to support the team too).

Oh well, Forbidden West is on the Horizon (forgive the rubbish pun) and the week after Elden Ring, also an excuse to have a go at Hunt Showdown, a game that everybody tells me is great - so plenty to keep me busy!

Thats what I was wondering. I live in North Central US and ive actually have been put on a UK server a few times. Which was interesting.. But even when I get on a server a bit closer to me the game still doesnt perform proper.. Something is still up! Desyncing is still an issue.. Nothing has changed there. And im fairly certain now the Geo wasnt the cause..

I agree though Server Selection is still needed in this game. If anything it wll help keep 343i honest..

Thanks for your post!

Zippy.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:02 AM, K0NSPIRACY said:

I consecutively connected to EU servers in 10 games last night with 18ms ping but found them to be very laggy…however it was only when I loosened and then removed QoS that I found the in game performance significantly improved. My QoS settings were dialled in to give the best ping possible as per recommendations on here, but for me I found that the game performs better with QoS set to “never”.

What QoS settings is everyone else using and works best for Halo Infinite?

Ive found the same thing as well.. Disable QoS has helped improve the games performance. My QoS is now set to Never as well.. As far as TP is concerned I have that off as well.. I do have the server ports if you want to try them.. There not your typical Xbox ports.. Personally I dont think we will get far with TP because of possible packet encapsulation.. Which usually are sent in a TCP form it seems. Likely on port 443. from my testing.  When I add UDP only in TP my gaming is far worse. Which shouldnt happen.. UDP is really what one wants to prioritize.. But for some odd reason that isnt working..

If you are going to use QoS I would either not use TP or if you do try TCP ports only.. Which would be 443..

Those are my suggestions thus far.. Im experimenting yet..  What are you currently using for TP ports?

Thanks!

Zippy.

@Zippy these are the ports that I set up after Googling ports for Halo Infinite on Xbox One X (same ports also apply to Xbox Series X):

I may as well just use Duma Classfied as there’s no improvement at all from my test games so far (in fact I’d say last night was the worst so far and I couldn’t even finish kills on players with no shields, and feels like I’m dying faster than I should with BR bursts being received in packets or single grenades with full shields).

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Zippy these are the ports that I set up after Googling ports for Halo Infinite on Xbox One X (same ports also apply to Xbox Series X):

I may as well just use Duma Classfied as there’s no improvement at all from my test games so far (in fact I’d say last night was the worst so far and I couldn’t even finish kills on players with no shields, and feels like I’m dying faster than I should with BR bursts being received in packets or single grenades with full shields).

Those are the Xbox ports. They really dont do much in that sense.. The ports to the servers are different..

From my wireshark captures the server ports are 30000-30070 UDP..

So you could try these and see what you get.. You would have to add a rule like this below..

Try this for the heck of it once and let me know if you get packets prioritizing..

Source Start 2000 UDP

Source End 65535 UDP

Destination Start 30000 UDP

Destination End 30070 UDP

See if that gets you anywhere.. Let me know if it triggers prioritization..

I still think we may have packets that are incapsulated some how somewhere..  In all reality one should be prioritizing UDP only.. But everyone seems to have very very different results on that..

Thanks!

Zippy.

P.s. I should also add that those ports are only going to trigger TP when a game actually starts.. And end when your game is over.. Iet me know how it goes for yah..

7 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Zippy Ok thanks. So my understanding is just set up that one rule without QoS? I’ll get it set up as detailed above and let you know 👍

You can set your QoS to never if you like.. Regardless what ones CC is set to one should still see an improvement using TP.. If you dont or it makes it worse then we have to figure out why that is.. Because TP should never make the game play worse.. If you have trouble post a screenshot of your QoS page with TP..

Thanks!

Good luck!

Zippy.

P.s. That would be just one rule needed yes! Sorry for got to add that..

@Zippy Just play tested 5 games with that TP rule and can’t say whether it was any better or worse tbh. There was still desync and the game just feels off…even to the extent that I had to dial down my stick sensitivity (feels like aim assist is totally non existent). TBH I’m not sure anything we do our end will improve things significantly to override the (un)known issues with their servers.

All 5 games were on Amsterdam servers at approx 20ms ping with QoS disabled. 

The first game was JIP and didn’t register any packets but it did for the remaining 4 games (the 4th game was also JIP and did register). Packets for the all games:

Download packets: 106699

Upload packets: 105831

I don’t know what any of that means tbh. I’ll do further tests later with QoS enabled.

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Zippy Just play tested 5 games with that TP rule and can’t say whether it was any better or worse tbh. There was still desync and the game just feels off…even to the extent that I had to dial down my stick sensitivity (feels like aim assist is totally non existent). TBH I’m not sure anything we do our end will improve things significantly to override the (un)known issues with their servers.

All 5 games were on Amsterdam servers at approx 20ms ping with QoS disabled. 

The first game was JIP and didn’t register any packets but it did for the remaining 4 games (the 4th game was also JIP and did register). Packets for the all games:

Download packets: 106699

Upload packets: 105831

I don’t know what any of that means tbh. I’ll do further tests later with QoS enabled.

From what your saying im almost positive we are both experiencing Desyncing.. Specially when it starts to effect aim.. One thing to pay close attention is when 343 makes adjustments or updates to the server the game plays better after that. But it slowly degrades back to what we are both experiencing now.. This Thursday we will be getting an update.. Im sure the game will play better after that update.. But it will be short lived as it will slowly digress back..

This next update is going to help find out what the cause of this Desyncing is.. The more we play after this update they should be able to gather some good info from this.. We can only hope at this point they find the cause.. Make no mistake I am worried that 343 doesnt have the skills in there department to truly figure this out. So be prepared for that.. This game maybe all the better it gets..

Im hopeful but im also a realistic person.. There is some thing very off with this game. Some thing ive not experienced in all my gaming career.. I dont believe this has anything to do with our connections.. This is very wide spread and way to many people are complaining about it.. When I monitor my ping in game its steady.. So its not that im getting huge lag spikes or anything.. We are really going to have to help 343 in anyway possible if we want to see this fixed.. This is going to take time.. Something that I dont think will help the games popularity..

Zippy.

@Zippy Yeah I absolutely agree…I have literally no confidence or faith in 343i. They are a joke of a company as far as I’m concerned, and I don’t really care for their pathetic excuses or lame explanations.

My game degraded significantly after the geo filter ban update last week, and it’s been consistently inconsistent since. I’m not sure if it’s getting any worse or degrading…it’s just consistently bad, however I do note that other players in the same lobby are clearly not having the same issue or are benefiting from what I’m experiencing. It literally doesn’t make any sense at all.

My understanding is that they are including telemetry tools in next weeks update to collate data, so any kind of fix is still likely to take weeks/months…it most certainly won’t be next week so I don’t hold out any hope that there will be any significant improvement…if any at all.

The only thing that has changed my end is that I’m now playing on my old Xbox One X as my Series X kept shutting itself down whilst playing Halo Infinite (campaign and MP). Obviously the XSX has better performance but I don’t think it is that significant to impact the gameplay or connection the way it is at the moment. That being said, I won’t be able to test or prove otherwise until I buy another XSX.

@Zippy Just done some more play tests…

Used the same rule and set CC to 20% (13.8Mbps) and 5% (0.9Mbps), but before playing I powered down and rebooted both my router and R2.

I don’t know if it was the QoS or rebooting my equipment but the game felt a lot crisper in these games than it has done for the last week or so. I was connected to EU servers for all games at 20ms apart from one game on Washington DC server at 85ms. Got the occasional desync moment but wasn’t literally all game as it has been.

It was an improvement but I don’t know why it was better.

14 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

@Zippy Just done some more play tests…

Used the same rule and set CC to 20% (13.8Mbps) and 5% (0.9Mbps), but before playing I powered down and rebooted both my router and R2.

I don’t know if it was the QoS or rebooting my equipment but the game felt a lot crisper in these games than it has done for the last week or so. I was connected to EU servers for all games at 20ms apart from one game on Washington DC server at 85ms. Got the occasional desync moment but wasn’t literally all game as it has been.

It was an improvement but I don’t know why it was better.

In ranked ?