Add “Halo Infinite” severs and geo filtering

17 hours ago, vincent06fr said:

In ranked ?

I play tested both Quick Play and Ranked, and there isn’t any difference in server selection patterns from what I’ve seen so far.

I’ve play tested about 50 games so far and will happily post up my findings, but one thing we know about this game is that it is consistently inconsistent so probably needs more testing.

18 hours ago, vincent06fr said:

In ranked ?

Results so far:

Total games played: 45

EU servers: 38 (84.4%)

US servers: 7 (15.6%)

Quick Play games played: 37

EU servers: 31 (83.8%)

US servers: 6 (16.2%)

Ranked games played: 8

EU servers: 7 (87.5%)

US servers: 1 (12.5%)

Clearly these tests are heavily weighted towards Quick Play at the moment…simple reason being is that I am solo queuing (as all my friends have quit playing) and I always warm up in Quick Play, so I’m usually too pissed off with the game due to bad connection and desync that I haven’t put myself in to Ranked.

We also have to factor in time of day as 40 out of 45 games were played in off peak hours (ie after midnight GMT), so I need to play test more games in peak hours.

A bit of a minor update which may help…I’ve been recording all my server details (just ping and location) as I load in to each game and as part of that I also either deny or allow servers in geo filter.

I’m based in the UK so therefore I allow both EU and deny all US servers. There are obviously a lot of server addresses but now that I’m approx 80 games in to this testing, I believe that I may be starting to yield results.

What I’ve found a few times now is that when a US server is found and it  attempts to load map, the process is halted and then fails to connect. This has only been happening on games where I can see on the geo filter map that it is trying to connect to a US server.

Admittedly this isn’t an exact science and may not even be entirely correct, but I’ve connected to EU servers in 83% of my games and I’m now seeing US servers being denied.

This is still a relatively small test sample so far, so I’ll continue to allow or deny…but this may be a way for the R2 geo filter to protect ourselves from high ping servers.

• 2 months later...

Having issues with INFINITE ever since season 2 launched. On the geo filter. I ping on all the servers other than mine in LOS ANGELES. It is really odd, I know we have one since it was pretty consistent in season 1, now I can't get the server to pop up. Can you guys look into it? Thank you.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, xBuTcHeRx said:

Having issues with INFINITE ever since season 2 launched. On the geo filter. I ping on all the servers other than mine in LOS ANGELES. It is really odd, I know we have one since it was pretty consistent in season 1, now I can't get the server to pop up. Can you guys look into it? Thank you.

It's still not working properly with the Geo-Filter but we are still looking at potential workarounds

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's still not working properly with the Geo-Filter but we are still looking at potential workarounds

So did they basically kill geo filter from working? Or did they black list home servers if in same location? 

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, xBuTcHeRx said:

So did they basically kill geo filter from working? Or did they black list home servers if in same location? 

Yeah they basically prevented any sort of Geo-Filtering, they made a big post on it on halowaypoint a few months ago so we're seeing if there is anything we can do. 

On 5/15/2022 at 9:01 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah they basically prevented any sort of Geo-Filtering, they made a big post on it on halowaypoint a few months ago so we're seeing if there is anything we can do. 

How are you guys progressing with a work around solution or fix? I‘ve basically quit playing the game now as most of my games were on high ping US servers with latency and desync. Not fun at all and not worth my time.

15 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

How are you guys progressing with a work around solution or fix? I‘ve basically quit playing the game now as most of my games were on high ping US servers with latency and desync. Not fun at all and not worth my time.

We did find a potential solution but it's going to take a lot of time and a bit of a Geo-filter re-design to implement. Once we are able to do that we'll let you guys know.

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:45 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing exactly when that happens please?

I don't have a screenshot, nor do I have a Netduma (yet) but what happens to me using the hosts file method is it'll hang on "other players loading..." for an extended period, like 5+ minutes, when it normally only says it for 30 seconds. And then following that hang it'll say "lost connection to the game server" with "there was a problem with the dedicated server" underneath it in a smaller font.

I'm imagining it's similar for people using a Netduma instead of the hosts file.

They've unfortunately patched the hosts file out now, you're limited to how many servers you can block. I can only block the ANZ servers + 1 EU server before the game prevents me from connecting at all.

They really need to add server select in-game. The people geo-filtering who get this "lost connection" message are unfortunately losing rank due to these games where the team they would have been placed on lose in a 3v4 match. It still counts as a L for the geo-filtering player even though they never set foot in the game.

The game in its current state, given the fact that it's literally designed to favor lower ping and it'll just trash my shots I fire when I should be getting trades, etc, is borderline unplayable when every other game is 100+ ping for me and the other players in the game are getting 15-40 ping.

It's heavily in their advantage.

If they had simply coded it to go based on the timestamp of the input rather than favor ping it wouldn't be an issue. If me and the enemy are pulling our triggers within 5ms of each other, that should be a trade whether I'm on 100 ping and he's on 15 ping, or we're both on 50 ping.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:08 AM, Netduma Liam said:

We did find a potential solution but it's going to take a lot of time and a bit of a Geo-filter re-design to implement. Once we are able to do that we'll let you guys know.

Any official word on a fix for Infinite geo-filtering?

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Yale king said:

Any news on geo for halo infinite ? Servers been really bad lately .

We're currently in the process of testing a new version of Geo-filter, I don't believe we've tested it on Halo Infinite yet but I'll double check. It's working much better for many games though so we're hopeful Halo will also fall into that category!