Traffic Prioritization Question

59 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

What does it throttle to? It should only throttle to 100% of your available bandwidth, which if inputted correctly, should be the regular full speeds you get from your ISP.

It throttles to the value I set - in this case, 0.5up. I'm attaching another screenshot to better show my setup. But yeah, with the traffic prio mentioned by fiefo, the throttling no longer works.

Duma2.PNG

• Administrators
On 2/8/2021 at 12:26 AM, CheckoutCoachCam said:

When throttling (which I prefer), CC is never, share excess off, and traffic prior varies (right now it is as shown above, but it doesn't let me throttle when using the ports fiefo suggested).

When not throttling, I vary the CC sliders, share excess on, and change up the traffic prio.

21 hours ago, CheckoutCoachCam said:

It throttles to the value I set - in this case, 0.5up. I'm attaching another screenshot to better show my setup. But yeah, with the traffic prio mentioned by fiefo, the throttling no longer works.

Duma2.PNG

Right okay so I would actually suggest throttling the other way around to how you're doing it now. How are you testing that is isn't throttling exactly?

On 2/7/2021 at 4:35 AM, Zippy said:

I can only give my opinion on Download vs Upload.. When using TP one should see more Download Packets vs Upload being prioritized.. To me if your Upload packets are out numbering your Download there isnt something right.. One is always Downloading more when playing a game then Uploading.. And Downloading is just as important as Uploading when it comes to gaming..  Every game that performs the best for me always shows more Download.. When a game feels off for some odd reason my Upload starts to out number my Download.. At that point I just disable TP..

Usually one does only use UDP for prioritizing.. But that was back then.. With so many things changing TCP could become an important port now.. The question is what is the port number.. Its always best to pin point ports so one can prio only the important packets.. Ive never been a fan of running ranges.. Unless one knows the range pertains to only critical traffic..

The range that fiefo suggests seems to be a good range to try..

When I do wireshark captures I see port 443 always for a TCP.. But I dont feel it should be used.. As its primary use seems to be with https.. Like port 80 is for http..

Zippy..

i am seeing more upload packets beeing prioritized with: UDP - Source Port (1:65535) - Destination Port (3074:56999). any idea why?

2 minutes ago, Victor-Yout said:

i am seeing more upload packets beeing prioritized with: UDP - Source Port (1:65535) - Destination Port (3074:56999). any idea why?

Thats a good question tbh.. Im still trying to figure this out yet myself.. When I used the same port arrangements sometimes they would have more download packets prioritized then upload.. But the very next day I play the upload packets surpass the download.. really makes no sense.. I will keep digging until I understand as to why.. My experience though has been when my download packets are more then upload packets my gaming feels much better and the game is in sync.. When upload starts to surpass my download the game feels off.. very strange.. There has to be something to this..

In your case one could try Source 1-65535  Destination 3074-65535. UDP.. See if that makes a difference..  How does your gaming feel to you? I know some are now using TCP ports as well.. So you could use the same port arrangements above and then select TCP and UDP.. Try that once and see which one feel better to you..

As far as more download verses upload im still investigating that one because its mind boggling to me why one day its more download then next day just the opposite.. When I do figure it out I will let you know!

Thanks!

Zippy.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:51 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Right okay so I would actually suggest throttling the other way around to how you're doing it now. How are you testing that is isn't throttling exactly?

Okay so I just realized that when I throttle, using the traffic prio fiefo suggested, my ps4's speedtest confirms I'm throttling. When I load the game, though, the game's bandwidth test shows I'm not throttling. When throttling, the game shows ~400kbps, when not, it shows ~4000kbps. When I take the traffic prio rule off, the game shows ~400kbps again. Not sure if the Duma has any control over that, though.

On 2/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, fiefo said:

A lot of people say don’t prio tcp packets. Honestly I think this is false. 

try 1-65535 SRC

3074-56999

TCPUDP 

Does SRC 3074-3076, Dest 1-65536 not make any sense? It's what I used to do, but as Zippy said, some days upload gets wacky compared to download.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:09 AM, CheckoutCoachCam said:

Okay so I just realized that when I throttle, using the traffic prio fiefo suggested, my ps4's speedtest confirms I'm throttling. When I load the game, though, the game's bandwidth test shows I'm not throttling. When throttling, the game shows ~400kbps, when not, it shows ~4000kbps. When I take the traffic prio rule off, the game shows ~400kbps again. Not sure if the Duma has any control over that, though.

When the game launches it probes your connection to find out how much bandwidth you have. When you use traffic prio it bypasses the throttle that's why your bandwidth reads high in-game. Don't know if it works but you can always disable traffic prio while the game launches then before you search for a game enable it?

Hola estimados del Forum vengo leyendo sus comentarios y  la verdad esta complicado ese tema de la priorizacion y no sabemos si es un problema del R2?

Desde de cuando ha llegado mi Netduma R2 SI encuentro que ha mejorado mi experiencia con los juegos en linea, a parte de estar en Sudamérica donde hay pocos servidores de juego y es complicado depender de 2 servidores en un continente donde hay mas de 100.000 jugadores en linea, sin embargo el rendimiento y estabilidad con el R2 hay mejorado bastante, pero creo que falta mejoras y actualizaciones de firmawares mas frecuentes  para el Netduma R2, ya que es un enrutador nuevo en el mercado.(1) Existen configuraciones que aun no puedo probar porque están muy agresivos, como por ejemplo la priorizacion de ping, mis deslizantes bajan al 1% de descarga y carga y creo que no deberíamos estar buscando los % de los deslizantes de forma manual y si debería ser automático.(2) Cuando hago el test de velocidad aun no me llega la velocidad real que tengo con mi ISP, y es muy inferior la velocidad de descarga que me aparece.(3) En el Geofiltro el servidor de Chile aun aparece en Australia desde del año pasado, y para las personas que tienen el router Netduma y no están informados en el Forum nunca podrá saber donde esta el servidor de Chile.

(4)Ahora aparece ese problema con la Priorizacion de Trafico que aumenta mas las cargas que las descargas, y antes eso no me pasaba, lamentablemente no sabemos si es un problema de configuración del router o quizás problemas externos al router. Quisiera saber mas  las opiniones de los expertos o ingenieros del Router Netduma sobre ese asunto.

Ojala mejoren pronto ese problema, y quería saber del equipo cuando habrá mejoras para el R2? cuando seria la próxima actualización de firmaware?, saludos. 

47 minutes ago, Eduardo bastos said:

Hola estimados del Forum vengo leyendo sus comentarios y  la verdad esta complicado ese tema de la priorizacion y no sabemos si es un problema del R2?

Desde de cuando ha llegado mi Netduma R2 SI encuentro que ha mejorado mi experiencia con los juegos en linea, a parte de estar en Sudamérica donde hay pocos servidores de juego y es complicado depender de 2 servidores en un continente donde hay mas de 100.000 jugadores en linea, sin embargo el rendimiento y estabilidad con el R2 hay mejorado bastante, pero creo que falta mejoras y actualizaciones de firmawares mas frecuentes  para el Netduma R2, ya que es un enrutador nuevo en el mercado.(1) Existen configuraciones que aun no puedo probar porque están muy agresivos, como por ejemplo la priorizacion de ping, mis deslizantes bajan al 1% de descarga y carga y creo que no deberíamos estar buscando los % de los deslizantes de forma manual y si debería ser automático.(2) Cuando hago el test de velocidad aun no me llega la velocidad real que tengo con mi ISP, y es muy inferior la velocidad de descarga que me aparece.(3) En el Geofiltro el servidor de Chile aun aparece en Australia desde del año pasado, y para las personas que tienen el router Netduma y no están informados en el Forum nunca podrá saber donde esta el servidor de Chile.

(4)Ahora aparece ese problema con la Priorizacion de Trafico que aumenta mas las cargas que las descargas, y antes eso no me pasaba, lamentablemente no sabemos si es un problema de configuración del router o quizás problemas externos al router. Quisiera saber mas  las opiniones de los expertos o ingenieros del Router Netduma sobre ese asunto.

Ojala mejoren pronto ese problema, y quería saber del equipo cuando habrá mejoras para el R2? cuando seria la próxima actualización de firmaware?, saludos. 

En QoS, sólo tienes que ajustar manualmente los controles deslizantes a alrededor del 70% si la configuración automática está siendo demasiado agresiva, somos conscientes de esto y debería resolverse en el próximo firmware.

¿Puedes proporcionar capturas de pantalla de la diferencia entre un benchmark de conexión en DumaOS y un speedtest de terceros?

Haré saber al equipo que el servidor está mal localizado y lo resolveremos, mientras tanto, puedes usar el asistente de ping para asegurarte de que ese servidor sigue siendo una opción para ti.

Seguimos investigando el problema de los recuentos de paquetes TCP y UDP no coincidentes, pero desgraciadamente puede ser difícil de recrear.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, Zippy said:

Thats a good question tbh.. Im still trying to figure this out yet myself.. When I used the same port arrangements sometimes they would have more download packets prioritized then upload.. But the very next day I play the upload packets surpass the download.. really makes no sense.. I will keep digging until I understand as to why.. My experience though has been when my download packets are more then upload packets my gaming feels much better and the game is in sync.. When upload starts to surpass my download the game feels off.. very strange.. There has to be something to this..

In your case one could try Source 1-65535  Destination 3074-65535. UDP.. See if that makes a difference..  How does your gaming feel to you? I know some are now using TCP ports as well.. So you could use the same port arrangements above and then select TCP and UDP.. Try that once and see which one feel better to you..

As far as more download verses upload im still investigating that one because its mind boggling to me why one day its more download then next day just the opposite.. When I do figure it out I will let you know!

Thanks!

Hey zippy how you been?.

I thought upload would always do more packets because you are always uploading every movement every weapon swap every bit of data that is you doing something gets uploaded. Where as downloading information only happens during engagement and or things in the map spawning in. Your not downloading everyone's information only what you need.

Could be completely wrong thats just my take on what is happening 

2 hours ago, l2eactionz said:

Hey zippy how you been?.

I thought upload would always do more packets because you are always uploading every movement every weapon swap every bit of data that is you doing something gets uploaded. Where as downloading information only happens during engagement and or things in the map spawning in. Your not downloading everyone's information only what you need.

Could be completely wrong thats just my take on what is happening 

Hey l2eactionz, as they say im doin doin! lol.. Hope things are well with you!

From prior experiences ive always understood both to be important.. But I was seeing more download packets verses upload.. Maybe now something has changed where that is no longer true.. Im always open to listen to all possibilities and open to every ones point of view to help us all understand this..

Heres the part that doesnt make sense to me.. When adding a Device to TP and proceed to play a game why does my download packets that are being prioritized show more then upload for about 4-5 games.. Then out of the clear blue all of a sudden my upload packets start to surpass my download packet count..? Thats playing the same game without making any changes in the router..   The packet count just starts to change from download being more to upload being more.. I just find that part very strange.. And its also kind of strange as this takes place the performance of the game becomes worse and worse.. So its this that makes me scratch my head trying to understand what is going on..

So my conclusion the way im thinking is that at the very least the packet count for both up and down should be very close give or take a bit.. But mine seems to get a bigger gap then what I feel is correct..

Are your packet counts close to each other or is your upload much more?

Thanks!

Zippy. 

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey l2eactionz, as they say im doin doin! lol.. Hope things are well with you!

From prior experiences ive always understood both to be important.. But I was seeing more download packets verses upload.. Maybe now something has changed where that is no longer true.. Im always open to listen to all possibilities and open to every ones point of view to help us all understand this..

Heres the part that doesnt make sense to me.. When adding a Device to TP and proceed to play a game why does my download packets that are being prioritized show more then upload for about 4-5 games.. Then out of the clear blue all of a sudden my upload packets start to surpass my download packet count..? Thats playing the same game without making any changes in the router..   The packet count just starts to change from download being more to upload being more.. I just find that part very strange.. And its also kind of strange as this takes place the performance of the game becomes worse and worse.. So its this that makes me scratch my head trying to understand what is going on..

So my conclusion the way im thinking is that at the very least the packet count for both up and down should be very close give or take a bit.. But mine seems to get a bigger gap then what I feel is correct..

Are your packet counts close to each other or is your upload much more?

Thanks!

Zippy. 

Hey zippy lol (I'll keep it going)

okay I get what you mean now didn't know your situation and how the packets change while playing. I only play warzone online and my packets have always been more upload than download and very consistent with more upload than down. That is strange given the fact it changes half way through gaming. I don't know what game your playing could it be coincidence that some games your host and other games your peer. Maybe that would be a reason why. What game is it you are playing and what platform. If on console I could potentially test it on my xr500 and see what my packets show