What is the optimal figure for High Priority Packets on both the download and upload side?

GHOST-1-EC

Reason for asking - since is created the advanced qos rules i instantly noticed a huge decrease in the number of "High Priority" packets being calculated or displayed in the Traffic Prioritization information.

I am not experiencing any negative effects from the reduced number of packets being shown but i have always wondered, 

1. Why this happened since creating the manual rules, and

2. What the optimal figure is for both the down and upload sides.

@Netduma Admin @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Iain could you guys shed some light on this.

Also would a higher figure / number of packets being prioritized result in an even better gaming experience?

This is what it currently reflects......these figures on the 'high priority side' are super low and never go very high in comparison to before the manual rules, it used to count up very quick and the numbers would be very high. 

DSC_0212.JPG

• Administrators

There are no optimal figures per se but too many and you're prioritizing too much which could have an adverse affect and likewise too little and you're not prioritizing enough. As long as it's going at a steady/consistent pace I would say that would be optimal if I had to choose but it also depends what packets are being prioritized. The fast/high pace you've mentioned is what I would class as normal, any faster than that and you're likely prioritizing a download which isn't good. With the manual rules you're actually prioritizing less ports most likely which is why the amount of packets is decreased.

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There are no optimal figures per se but too many and you're prioritizing too much which could have an adverse affect and likewise too little and you're not prioritizing enough. As long as it's going at a steady/consistent pace I would say that would be optimal if I had to choose but it also depends what packets are being prioritized. The fast/high pace you've mentioned is what I would class as normal, any faster than that and you're likely prioritizing a download which isn't good. With the manual rules you're actually prioritizing less ports most likely which is why the amount of packets is decreased.

This makes sense.

I am only prioritizing UDP Packets

What or which adjustments on the bandwith allocation side would alter the number of packets?

At present the PS4 is receiving a 40% download bandwith bias and 50% upload bandwith bias over the other devices.

All other devices function as normal. 

• Administrators

Those adjustments wouldn't alter the packets, playing the game still uses the same amount of packets whether you've got 100mbps dedicated to the console or 1mbps. Gaming uses very little bandwidth, mostly less than 500kbps. If it was too low to the point where it couldn't send/receive the packets needed then you would get dropped packets and would keep trying to send/receive them until there was an acknowledgement.

For in game optimal is obviously 60 packets per sec on both sides.

If you have UDP 3074 in your prioritization, there is also some other talk with the server going on on 3074. But with open NAT they all come from the same port.

For moderate NAT you need to set source to UDP 62000-65535 instead of UDP 3074 as the game uses different ports for game traffic in that case.

The only ports in consideration when the lobby / match starts is 3074 linked to my ip address and the respective port used on the server end linked to the server ip address (as per the wireshark capture/s). 

This single final communication is also confirmed when i run pingplotter with the server ip........ the game server in ping plotter is the final hop - in wireshark it is the final communication between port 3074 (my console) and the server port for the duration of the match. 

3 minutes ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

The only ports in consideration when the lobby / match starts is 3074 linked to my ip address and the respective port used on the server end linked to the server ip address (as per the wireshark capture/s). 

This single final communication is also confirmed when i run pingplotter with the server ip........ the game server in ping plotter is the final hop - in wireshark it is the final communication between port 3074 (my console) and the server port for the duration of the match. 

MW 20-11-2019 Capture.PNG

Yeah I see where you are coming from.

When I was set to moderate NAT, I had communication from 3074 to 30120 on the server. And this was just idling in the lobby, not searching for games etc. And actual game traffic was 62000-65535 to 31000-45000.

Looking at the time stamps it's game traffic in your log though.

Maybe on open NAT both traffic go to that same port.

By the way the IP you are crossing out is a internal one, nobody can use that for anything. Saves you the hassle :)

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Looking at the time stamps it's game traffic in your log though.

My interest is only for game traffic.........all other traffic is insignificant for me as i dont have any issues with Nat or Connecting to lobbies or individual players. 

Also Cod only uses UDP protocol once the match starts. 

I have checked for the TCP protocol / packets and it is never linked to the actual game server or my ip / 3074 port (once the match starts). 

In any event TCP priority is not advised for gaming as it causes delays / latency - it operates in total opposite to the UDP protocol, thus in COD for example it is only the udp packets that are visible in communication between the ps4 and the game server. 

I am not certain if its the same for PC or Xbox tho. 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

By the way the IP you are crossing out is a internal one, nobody can use that for anything

I just blanked it off regardless 😁

No but what I meant is that there is more communication going on with the server, outside gaming traffic. I was trying to separate that but I don't think it's possible with open NAT.

When I use moderate NAT I am sure I can. Because in my previous setup the QoS light only lit up when you were in the lobby and playing. With 3074 - 30000-45000 it lights up as soon as you boot the game, so it's hard to know if you actually prioritize game traffic instead of other traffic from and to the server.

This is why i dont use a range of ports - u will basically be giving priority to ports not needed or being used for gaming whilst you are actually gaming. 

I've tested this by not utilizing the the traffic prio and also by using random ports that i know are not used on my server/s end........ the traffic prio light always stayed off. 

The moment i added the specific ports i knew i needed to prioritize..... the light always remained on consistently once i booted the game (as this initiates the use of port 3074 on my side) and or started a match as i have the ports prioritized on the server/s i connect to. 

Another test u can do is to monitor the number of packets prioritized with the range of ports used vs specific individual ports u know of on your server/s end.

This is why i created this thread, knowing that the manual rules actually work and improve gaming experience i moved on to trying to find the optimal number of packets needing to be prioritized or a way to 'fine tune' to achieve such a value to improve the gaming experience even more. 

Every little adds up in the end....... so far we know that the manual rules actually has a better effect on gameplay than the ABB feature in the OS. 

13 minutes ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

This is why i dont use a range of ports - u will basically be giving priority to ports not needed or being used for gaming whilst you are actually gaming. 

I've tested this by not utilizing the the traffic prio and also by using random ports that i know are not used on my server/s end........ the traffic prio light always stayed off. 

The moment i added the specific ports i knew i needed to prioritize..... the light always remained on consistently once i booted the game (as this initiates the use of port 3074 on my side) and or started a match as i have the ports prioritized on the server/s i connect to. 

Another test u can do is to monitor the number of packets prioritized with the range of ports used vs specific individual ports u know of on your server/s end.

If only I could use wireshark for PC I would know what ports to narrow down on. The problem is that activision will stop the game once it detects wireshark. I just don't know how to get it to work otherwise.  Battlenonsense states he found a way to do it but isn't telling how he did it other then state he can "get around it in less then 10 seconds" in his last video.  🙄

25 minutes ago, East said:

If only I could use wireshark for PC I would know what ports to narrow down on. The problem is that activision will stop the game once it detects wireshark. I just don't know how to get it to work otherwise.  Battlenonsense states he found a way to do it but isn't telling how he did it other then state he can "get around it in less then 10 seconds" in his last video.  🙄

I know i would have tested and tested until i got it figured out if i played on PC

I helped a few guys thru DM for console but cudnt do anything for the PC guys unfortunately. 

8 hours ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

I know i would have tested and tested until i got it figured out if i played on PC

I helped a few guys thru DM for console but cudnt do anything for the PC guys unfortunately. 

I may need to do what you did but with another pc.  Can you explain how you did it for console?

5 hours ago, East said:

I may need to do what you did but with another pc.  Can you explain how you did it for console?

Using my laptop connected via wifi to my isp modem/router i bridge my ethernet and wifi connections on the laptop..... then connect the ps4 to the laptop via ethernet cable. 

It will look like this

1. Isp Modem/Router > Laptop (via wifi) 

2. Laptop - wifi + ethernet connections bridged (this is done in the network adapter settings) on the laptop

3. Laptop > Ps4 (via ethernet using the bridged connection) 

4. Open wireshark on the laptop and launch the game - filter for udp ports in wireshark to see gaming packets specifically. 

You'll find several tutorial videos on youtube, use the one that you understand the easiest - its an easy process once you get into it. 

1 hour ago, blackfirehawk said:

Get a App that is called netlimiter.. it can Show you the used ports

I have netlimiter as well but i cud not see any ports used - i could be missing something but for the most part i could primarly only see the bandwith being used by various devices on my connection. 

Wireshark is the easiest to use for me as i get all the info i am looking for. 

You are using bridged instead ICS?

When I tried bridging I could not get wireshark to read anything. Maybe I need to try bridge mode again. That probably makes getting open NAT easier and explains why I could not get the game to run on port 3074.

24 minutes ago, Bert said:

You are using bridged instead ICS?

When I tried bridging I could not get wireshark to read anything. Maybe I need to try bridge mode again. That probably makes getting open NAT easier and explains why I could not get the game to run on port 3074.

Yip, the bridged connection feeds the ps4

once bridged..... when u have wireshark open, you'll click on the ethernet connection in wireshark and your capture will start running.... from there you can apply a filter for udp, tcp or whatever else you want to see as the main info during yr capture. 

Btw way guys thers another way thats even better than wireshark and network monitor  to see what ports the game is using

Its from using open wrt  on a router

I just found out about it yesterday its brilliant

It shows you 

The ip adress of the dedi the host of the dedi  the port the dedi is using how many packets the dedi is using

It looks absalutlely brilliant

Also im pretty sure when you first boot up the game it shows every dedi  and there port for a few minutes and who the dedis hosted by

Atm im trying to work out how to copy the info down

Thanks to User here called progprogprog for telling me about it yesterday 

Btw it is also showing that we do  use tcp 3074 with another tcp port thats when your in the menus screen  it was showing whilst i was playing a game

But i only checked at the start of the game when timer ticks down i will post an example here in a while  of the stats its showing

When im using my pc

hers an example of

IPV4
UDP Source 192.168.1.115:3074     destination 95-179-204-207.choopa.net:42440
7.36 KB (120 Pkts.)