PingPlotter check??

CrossFitKila717

Hey all!

Just wanted to see what you all think and get some professional opinions........ 1st pic is from gameplay last night on WW2, sliders set to 70/70, reactive (speeds are 210/11 with Spectrum in TX). 2nd pic is from this morning at idle, no console, load etc. 

Thanks for all your input!

0B4A347B-3EBB-4AE1-8F26-FA2B5C87A670.jpeg

B28BA386-9216-4046-BFD9-885F17DEAC99.jpeg

1 hour ago, BIG__DOG said:

looks a good connection........in pic 1 theres only a 2ms spike maximum so qos is working as it should!

Awesome! How do you see that it was a 2ms spike? I was totally reading it wrong then......I was thinking it was jittery with around a 10ms spike (I looked at differences between high & low peak). I was worried. Lol

15 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Awesome! How do you see that it was a 2ms spike? I was totally reading it wrong then......I was thinking it was jittery with around a 10ms spike (I looked at differences between high & low peak). I was worried. Lol

I have indicated it by drawing a line for you.

0B4A347B-3EBB-4AE1-8F26-FA2B5C87A670.jpeg.15b81a9e13635024a80fea3196aa6e3c_LI.jpg

5 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

I have indicated it by drawing a line for you.

0B4A347B-3EBB-4AE1-8F26-FA2B5C87A670.jpeg.15b81a9e13635024a80fea3196aa6e3c_LI.jpg

Thank you so much! So it’s the difference between the average & min? So is that number representing jitter? I was just going off of how jittery the graph “looked”. So if I adjust my sliders on the duma, what exactly am I looking for to improve on this graph? I was reading in a post to use PingPlotter instead of dslreports for dialing in my bufferbloat. But it looks like from what you’re saying, I shouldn’t have to adjust anything at this point.....just leave duma as is?

2 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Thank you so much! So it’s the difference between the average & min? So is that number representing jitter? I was just going off of how jittery the graph “looked”. So if I adjust my sliders on the duma, what exactly am I looking for to improve on this graph? I was reading in a post to use PingPlotter instead of dslreports for dialing in my bufferbloat. But it looks like from what you’re saying, I shouldn’t have to adjust anything at this point.....just leave duma as is?

your line looks fine, obviousely theres a little jitter but is marginal as to be expected but there is nothing out of the ordinary. If you look to the the left of the graph theres numbers displaying your ms count. If you look along to the spike it should vary little. If you do a pingplotter test and watch those numbers where I highlighted if theres a sudden spike you will see a larger number difference, but that will deminish over time the longer the graph is running.

3 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Awesome, thanks so much! 

Quick tip on ping plotter, at the top in the columns (Hop,count,IP etc) right click your mouse button in any of the column names and then select maximum latency from the drop down menu to be able to see it on the table, this makes it easier to see your connection variations.

Awesome, & this will also show jitter as well? It seems like the latency/ping isn’t as big a factor as the jitter....my games seem just as good at 40ms as it does on 12ms......the majority of my gameplay has been on a 12ms server according to the duma. 

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Awesome, & this will also show jitter as well? It seems like the latency/ping isn’t as big a factor as the jitter....my games seem just as good at 40ms as it does on 12ms......the majority of my gameplay has been on a 12ms server according to the duma. 

40ms is still a pretty good ping, so that performing just as well as a 12ms connection is to be expected really. The difference is pretty negligible. Good luck!

T

On 11/28/2018 at 11:40 AM, BIG__DOG said:

your line looks fine, obviousely theres a little jitter but is marginal as to be expected but there is nothing out of the ordinary. If you look to the the left of the graph theres numbers displaying your ms count. If you look along to the spike it should vary little. If you do a pingplotter test and watch those numbers where I highlighted if theres a sudden spike you will see a larger number difference, but that will deminish over time the longer the graph is running.

Thanks so much for the help! So if I have PingPlotter pulled up, what is the best method for finding my best congestion control (bufferbloat) settings? I read in one of the past forums to run dsl reports in one window while monitoring PingPlotter......but what exactly am I looking for so I know if I’ve got the best setting? I know you said to look for differences in the highlighted numbers but is it just the difference between Min & Current? It bounces around quite a bit sometimes. Sorry, I may be a slow learner. Lol 😂 

9 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

T

Thanks so much for the help! So if I have PingPlotter pulled up, what is the best method for finding my best congestion control (bufferbloat) settings? I read in one of the past forums to run dsl reports in one window while monitoring PingPlotter......but what exactly am I looking for so I know if I’ve got the best setting? I know you said to look for differences in the highlighted numbers but is it just the difference between Min & Current? It bounces around quite a bit sometimes. Sorry, I may be a slow learner. Lol 😂 

DSL reports is not perfect but if you want to use it to get a good bufferbloat setting then run a test and click on the button I have highlghted to see your resuts. You want those red lines to be as thin and level as possible. Mine is almost perfect and I am running my router at 70/70 while running this test I did just now!

People seem to be fixated on an A+ reading but it is the results page that matters the most of all.

2018-11-30 (1)_LI.jpg

2018-11-30 (2).png

Yes, I’ve been using that and have a heck of a time getting them level......my download I can get a difference of like 3ms (from bottom to top of red bar) but I struggle with the upload. Seems like no matter where I put my congestion control bars, I can never get the bars level between all three and/or smooth upload.  I was thinking I read on the forums that people are actually using PingPlotter as the bufferbloat tool instead of DSL.......but just running the DSL to tax the line while watching the PingPlotter graph? Guessing this is more accurate? I have the original R1 firmware, no dumaos yet. 

35 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Yes, I’ve been using that and have a heck of a time getting them level......my download I can get a difference of like 3ms (from bottom to top of red bar) but I struggle with the upload. Seems like no matter where I put my congestion control bars, I can never get the bars level between all three and/or smooth upload.  I was thinking I read on the forums that people are actually using PingPlotter as the bufferbloat tool instead of DSL.......but just running the DSL to tax the line while watching the PingPlotter graph? Guessing this is more accurate? I have the original R1 firmware, no dumaos yet. 

That is correct, you could also run a youtube video and a netflix movie at the same time and run the pingplotter test at the same time to try and get bufferbloat under controle.  It is horses for courses regarding this and the moethods used. 

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

That's right, the Pingplotter graph is probably the best tool to measure performance. Zennon's guide is pretty useful at explaining how to do it: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

If you're getting ping spikes to <5ms then I'd be happy with those settings. If you're getting spikes higher, try cutting your upload bandwidth further down. 

Yes, just trying to replicate gaming so I can get the best hit detection, etc. so whatever’s the best method.  Its all a learning curve for sure.....just feel like I’m not getting the same results you all are getting & that I’m missing something. Lol 

• Administrators