Random disconnects with wired connection

• Administrators

So since I'm moving soon, I disconnected the router entirely yesterday and took it to the new place in case the technician needed it. However are reconnecting the router I've had it disconnect on me twice. 

This was after 2 days and no issue.  

It's possible the router upgraded, can you confirm if you're on the same fix firmware I gave you?

Hi new XR500 user. I Purchased the router six days ago and started having the same issue two days later. I have 2 Xboxes and a PS4. I first noticed it a couple days ago with my Xbox. Did a reset and everything worked the next day just fine. Tried turning on my Xbox yesterday and no connection turned on my second Xbox same thing no connection tried my PS4 same thing no connection then tried my PC and had no connection as well and all four of these are hardwired. Like everyone is saying my wireless connections were working just fine. Called NETGEAR Support they were extremely busy they said and would have someone call me back within the next 1 to 2 hours and they never did. Which brought me to researching this online and found this forum. I switched off Instant on on both Xboxs last night after reading this forum and turned them on this morning and they both were still connected. Will test them out when I get home from work. Is it possible I could try this new firmware as well?

• Administrators

Hi new XR500 user. I Purchased the router six days ago and started having the same issue two days later. I have 2 Xboxes and a PS4. I first noticed it a couple days ago with my Xbox. Did a reset and everything worked the next day just fine. Tried turning on my Xbox yesterday and no connection turned on my second Xbox same thing no connection tried my PS4 same thing no connection then tried my PC and had no connection as well and all four of these are hardwired. Like everyone is saying my wireless connections were working just fine. Called NETGEAR Support they were extremely busy they said and would have someone call me back within the next 1 to 2 hours and they never did. Which brought me to researching this online and found this forum. I switched off Instant on on both Xboxs last night after reading this forum and turned them on this morning and they both were still connected. Will test them out when I get home from work. Is it possible I could try this new firmware as well?

I have just sent you the firmware. Hopefully this solves the issue.

It's possible the router upgraded, can you confirm if you're on the same fix firmware I gave you?

I'm on version V2.3.2.18. Not sure if that is correct or not. 

Has disconnected three times today alone but hadn't done it for 2 days prior. 

• Administrators

Looks like your router auto upgraded to the latest version, which I assume does not have this trial fix. Could you roll back to the test firmware which was reducing/stopping the problem?

Let me know if you don’t have the link anymore and I’ll message you.

So I installed the firmware fix you sent me on Friday afternoon. Turned back on instant on on both my Xbox’s. Did a test a couple hours after installing the firmware both Xbox’s connected just fine played an online game for about an hour no issues. The next morning my son got up was able to connect his Xbox just fine played for about an hour. Couple hours later he went back on it connected just fine again but 15 minutes later while he was in the middle of a Fortnite game he called me over complaining he lost connection. It said on his screen could not connect to the DHCP. I then turned on my Xbox and it was not connected. Rebooted router did a handful more tests throughout the day on Saturday and every time both Xbox’s were connected. As for today Sunday did a few tests throughout the day and everything was fine. Just sat down tonight and turned on my Xbox to play for a little bit and it was not connected tried my sons Xbox same thing both said that they were off-line

OK I’ve heard of static IP‘s before but never done it myself. Any place you can guide me a walk-through on this or I can just YouTube it after work myself. Also just an FYI my son turned on his Xbox this morning and it was disconnected.

• Administrators

OK I’ve heard of static IP‘s before but never done it myself. Any place you can guide me a walk-through on this or I can just YouTube it after work myself. Also just an FYI my son turned on his Xbox this morning and it was disconnected.

It's probably worth doing a factory reset to ensure no legacy issues from the previous firmware that could impede the potential fix. Then after that give your Xboxs static IPs from Settings > LAN Setup then click add under address reservation.

I’m losing my mind. Did the factory reset and for an hour now I’ve tried everything and can’t get past first step. Keeps checking internet speed and fails. Says I have no connection. I’ve changed nothing.

After the 15th try it connected for some reason. I’ve done the factory reset even using a paperclip and pushing reset on the back of the router. Now that I’m connected it’s showing all my devices that I previously had connected are still connected and when I went to upload the firmware you sent me it’s showing that firmware is still the current firmware. I’ve also tried running a speed test through the router to set it up and it keeps failing but yet everything is saying I’m connected. I’m getting very frustrated with his router

• Administrators

It will show you that the one you're on is the current firmware because the one I gave you is not available on the server. Just tell it to upgrade to it, no issue with doing that. You don't need to do the speed test on the router, just do a manual one from speedtest.net and input the result into Anti-Bufferbloats options then you're all setup.

I was able to manual input my speed last night from speed test.net I set both X boxes to static IP address. My son could not play Fortnite this morning he said he kept getting kicked out in the middle of the game with no connection error. But I did not upload the firmware so I will try that today

Why in the hell would you release a BRAND FUCKING NEW router that doesn't work with IPv6? That is the dumbest shit i have ever heard. This is BRAND NEW. IT COST 300 dollars! There is absolutely no excuse. None! Don't even try. You shouldn't release some gimmicky, useless device under some false pretense that it will improve someomes gaming experience. This thing increases lag. That is, if it's even working at all. You've really outdone yourselves. Go ahead, pat youselves on the back for pushing off one of the greatest scams ever. This thing is getting returned tomorrow. I'm tired of having to come to this forum every single night with issues. 300 fucking dollars. Bravo! 

• Administrators

Why in the hell would you release a BRAND FUCKING NEW router that doesn't work with IPv6? That is the dumbest shit i have ever heard. This is BRAND NEW. IT COST 300 dollars! There is absolutely no excuse. None! Don't even try. You shouldn't release some gimmicky, useless device under some false pretense that it will improve someomes gaming experience. This thing increases lag. That is, if it's even working at all. You've really outdone yourselves. Go ahead, pat youselves on the back for pushing off one of the greatest scams ever. This thing is getting returned tomorrow. I'm tired of having to come to this forum every single night with issues. 300 fucking dollars. Bravo! 

The only feature that doesn't work correctly with IPv6 is QoS which we'll be adding in future. IPv6 doesn't improve your connection, if anything it would make it slightly worse as it'll have to be converted back to IPv4 as IPv6 is not as widely adopted as IPv4. 

If it's increasing lag then it's not setup correctly, I responded to your topic regarding what information to provide, then I can help you resolve the issue.

I'm having issues too with wired connections from my xbox one x & my PC both plug in wired!! My xbox wont connect to the internet and my labtop! I had too reboot the router for them to get connected to the internet this happens every day!!

• Administrators

I'm having issues too with wired connections from my xbox one x & my PC both plug in wired!! My xbox wont connect to the internet and my labtop! I had too reboot the router for them to get connected to the internet this happens every day!!

Sent PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

My Ethernet connection keeps disconnecting  at random times but WiFi  is stable i am on the  the latest firmware 2.3.2.22

Hey, welcome to the forum! I've sent you a PM with the firmware that should fix the issue.

• Administrators

Can you please provide me the firmware fix. I have had the XR500 for about a month now and it has been a very bad experience thus far. More unstable than my previous wireless router.

Thank you.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I've sent you a PM with the firmware. If you're having other issues do make a topic, don't suffer in silence!