Random disconnects with wired connection

Frasier,

Same issue here still experiencing random disconnets from wired and wireless connection 

Is this firmware the same V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a from a month ago?

Any news on when Netgear planning on releasing an "Official" FW version to address this issue?

• Administrators

Can you send me the newer firmware with the fix too if possible.

Sent you a PM with the firmware

Fraser, is only happening to users with consoles plugged in (wired) directly to the router ?

i was reading a post of yours somewhere else and one poster commented that they were using a switch (between devices and the xr500) which stopped the random disconnects.

Im curious about this as I too have many devices (including consoles) connected, but i don't get the disconnect issues. I am using a netgear switch between my devices and the router, so maybe there is some fact to it.....

my xbox was already set to auto Instant-on mode (ps4 the same) and had no issues .... since its all working for me as is... i dont want to change anything....lol

ps. i have noticed though that Teamviewer disconnects quite a lot using this router.... ?

Yes I believe so. To do with the console waking up and not triggering the ethernet ports to wake properly I think. 

Haven't heard anything about TeamViewer, make sure its not going through Traffic Prioritization.

Frasier,

Same issue here still experiencing random disconnets from wired and wireless connection 

Is this firmware the same V2.2.1.10-DBG-XR356-180522a from a month ago?

Any news on when Netgear planning on releasing an "Official" FW version to address this issue?

I've sent you a PM with a newer firmware with the same fix. That will be the official one but still looking into the issue to get a permanent fix for those it hasn't worked for.

issue with PM'd firmware V2.3.2.26

internet dropped after 48 hours of running stable?

No home devices could connect to router and no access to router externally / remotely.

reverting to previous for now.

• Administrators

No home devices could connect to router and no access to router externally / remotely.

Would you like to help collect debug info?

Guest Killhippie

Did you factory reset router after updating to that version? There are a lot of fixes in it. So A factory reset would have been a good idea. Also dont use a backup to reload router settings do it manually. No issues here so far on V2.3.2.26

Did you factory reset router after updating to that version? There are a lot of fixes in it. So A factory reset would have been a good idea. Also dont use a backup to reload router settings do it manually. No issues here so far on V2.3.2.26

no i didnt factory reset because the last time i had to do this it took a day to re-do all the various settings I have in place and the dozens of devices and mac addresses and static IP's i have setup etc etc etc

so there is no way im doing it all again. i will do one factory reset and then reload saved settings. if the router drops the internet again, i will just revert to previous firmware and let it stay on that forever...

having to factory reset after a firmware update is a total pain in the *rse! and shouldnt be necessary.

in the Firmware Update screen it says nothing about factory resetting after an update ?  (in fact the help icon "?" on the page is broken, does nothing)...?

Sent you PM

I performed a factory reset after updating. Just in case.

I must say, this new firmware seems more solid than any previous releases. Jitter ping is lower. Sustained ping is more stable. No disconnects at all yet. Only spent 2 hours with it so far. I will reserve full judgement, but this is promising.

Edit: The "Turn off all LEDs except Power LED" fails to turn off the 2.4GHz LED. This isn't a big deal, but I wanted to make it aware.

Guest Killhippie

no i didnt factory reset because the last time i had to do this it took a day to re-do all the various settings I have in place and the dozens of devices and mac addresses and static IP's i have setup etc etc etc

so there is no way im doing it all again. i will do one factory reset and then reload saved settings. if the router drops the internet again, i will just revert to previous firmware and let it stay on that forever...

having to factory reset after a firmware update is a total pain in the *rse! and shouldnt be necessary.

in the Firmware Update screen it says nothing about factory resetting after an update ?  (in fact the help icon "?" on the page is broken, does nothing)...?

It doesn’t take a day surely maybe an hour tops two at a stretch. I have loads of static dhcp reservations, it’s just a pain I agree to type it all back in. I even have a 63 digit ASCII password too. Also if you use a back up you will be loading the problems you had back to the router because backups contain low-level information that can cause issues which is why you never use them with new firmware and considering this update has so many bug fixes it’s a good way to start from fresh, I do believe I showed RMerlins reasoning for doing a factory reset. Also it does say in the release notes "If any problem occurs after upgrading, try clearing the configuration by pressing the Reset Button on Rear Panel until the Power LED blinks and hold on for 5 seconds at least, then the router will reboot with default configuration" This router has two lots of firmware on it which means it’s better to be safe than sorry I would think. You just have to take an hour or so out of your day. Anyway I hope you get things sorted out out and here is RMerlins reasoning why you need to do a reset sometimes. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Guest Killhippie

Have these changes been implemented into the latest firmware yet?

Not in current 2.3.2.22 no. There are security fixes though like firewall not being stealthed etc. I had no issues on that version although others did, I was up over 30days on that version.

As above Achilles, whatever the next public release is will have the fix

Assuming no ETA on that? 

Either way that's good news, look forward to it. If possible, can you give us a heads up in this thread whenever that happens?

• Administrators

Assuming no ETA on that? 

Either way that's good news, look forward to it. If possible, can you give us a heads up in this thread whenever that happens?

Sure - we'll try to remember to post in here. We'll also start a new topic in this subforum too. 

No ETA but I shouldn't think it will be too far away now.