Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to open your NAT with the XR500

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM
So we have to enable spectating mode on the geo filter every time we jump to a game? Because I'm having the same problem here!

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,671 posts

So we have to enable spectating mode on the geo filter every time we jump to a game? Because I'm having the same problem here!

If you enable Spectating Mode it will remain active, so if you're playing the same game (one that does not need Filtering Mode) then you shouldn't have to re-enable Spectating Mode every time. With Spectating Mode active, do you have an open NAT? Which problem are you having specifically?

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 18,585 posts

Also if you put the console in DMZ it should be always open.

Twitter/Facebook/YouTube/Twitch/Instagram/Steam Group/Discord

Official R1 Support Times: 10am - 6pm BST

Official DumaOS/XR500 Support Times: 12pm - Midnight BST

Time Converter

If you're having Settings or Hardware issues with the XR500 please go here and login to get the number for Netgear's 24/7 support line: http://support.netgear.com/

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
I'm playing ww2 on xbox one x! And yeah before turning the console on I need to enable spectating mode for me to get a open NAT!! AND YES I HAVE PUT THE CONSOLE ON DMZ!!

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
To be more accurate! I turn on my console check THE NAT TYPE AND IT READS "GETTING INFO". OKAY NOW I LOG IN TO THE XR500 AND I HAVE TO ENABLE SPECTATING MODE ON! NOW IF I I DONT DO ANYTHING THE GAMES SAYS I HAVE OPEN NAT TYPE!!

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,671 posts

To be more accurate! I turn on my console check THE NAT TYPE AND IT READS "GETTING INFO". OKAY NOW I LOG IN TO THE XR500 AND I HAVE TO ENABLE SPECTATING MODE ON! NOW IF I I DONT DO ANYTHING THE GAMES SAYS I HAVE OPEN NAT TYPE!!

Sounds like the Geo-Filter is blocking a NAT server. Which game are you playing?

If your in-game NAT is only Moderate this is likely a false reading. You can tell if this is the case by searching for a game. If you find a decent game in the same amount of time you'll likely have an open NAT even though the game reports a Moderate NAT.

To avoid this issue, only enable Filtering Mode once you are on the Multiplayer Screen in-game. I hope this makes sense!

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
I figure it out already!!! Since I live in California...i had to move my geo-filter closer to the NAT server! Once I did that my whole gameplay just went on steroids mode不不不! So I put my console on DMZ , I port forward COD! WORKS AMAZING NOW! QUESTION: DOES YOUR NAT TYPE EFECT YOUR GAMEPLAY AT ALL? BEFORE THIS ISSUES I NOTICE MY PING GRAPH WILL SHOW SPIKES FORM 12MS TO 30MS! ONCE I FIXED THE NAT TYPE ISSUES MY PING IS VERY STABLE NOW 13MS OR LESS! MY GAMEPLAY CHANGE A LOT!! IT ALMOST FEEL LIKE CHEATING 不不不不

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank you guys!!!

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Oh I forgot !!! Cod ww2 that's the game I've been playjng!

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,671 posts

I figure it out already!!! Since I live in California...i had to move my geo-filter closer to the NAT server! Once I did that my whole gameplay just went on steroids mode! So I put my console on DMZ , I port forward COD! WORKS AMAZING NOW! QUESTION: DOES YOUR NAT TYPE EFECT YOUR GAMEPLAY AT ALL? BEFORE THIS ISSUES I NOTICE MY PING GRAPH WILL SHOW SPIKES FORM 12MS TO 30MS! ONCE I FIXED THE NAT TYPE ISSUES MY PING IS VERY STABLE NOW 13MS OR LESS! MY GAMEPLAY CHANGE A LOT!! IT ALMOST FEEL LIKE CHEATING

Wicked, great to hear! Yeh NAT makes a dramatic difference. If your NAT is strict you'll have a really bad time. I'm glad it's going well for you!

Technical support:

Blameless

Blameless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Yeah man even on the sound of the game you hear everything I never experience the quality sound when you have a very low ping and NAT type open!!I mean even the way the soldier moves very crispy and smooth and the hit detection is on point !!! Lol....whatever I guess I could say the router is doing what it suppose to do!! 300 dollars was worth it!!!!不不不 thanks guys!!!

Toni169

Toni169

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Sorry but can you send a picture how do you port forwarding? Its a little bit different as the R1... i dont know and dont understand how i write the ports for the ps4...

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 616 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Hi Toni - here's a quick guide I grabbed from page 165 of the NETGEAR user manual (https://www.download...XR500_UM_EN.pdf). I've shortened it to make it easier to read:

1. Find out which port number or range of numbers the application uses.
  2. Select Settings > Advanced Settings > Port Forwarding.
  3. Click the Add Custom Service button. The Ports - Custom Services page displays.
  4. In the Service Name field, enter a descriptive name (e.g. 'Call of Duty')
  5. From the Protocol menu, select the protocol. If you are unsure, select TCP/UDP.
  6. In the External port range field, type the port numbers and port ranges. Divide ports and port ranges by commas and hyphens, for example, 20, 40-50, 34700-34710.
  7. Specify the internal ports by one of these methods:
    • Leave the Use the same port range for Internal port check box selected.
    • Type the port numbers and port ranges in the Internal port range field, dividing ports and port ranges by commas and hyphens, for example, 30, 50-60, 65500-65510.
  8. In the Internal IP address field, type the IP address or select the radio button for an attached device listed in the table.
  9. Click the Apply button.

Sim's video also has a good demo here: https://youtu.be/KQiwtXoNqsA?t=1577

Toni169

Toni169

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok
So should i have to write the ports for internal and externel?
So for both?

Netduma Admin

Netduma Admin

Netduma Staff

• Administrators
  • 616 posts
  • LocationNetduma HQ

Ok
So should i have to write the ports for internal and externel?
So for both?

It is ok to have both the same. 

Toni169

Toni169

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I would have a recommendation ... and that the geo filter automatically recognizes your location and set your location accordingly ... However, you should continue to determine where you can set his location manually

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,671 posts

I would have a recommendation ... and that the geo filter automatically recognizes your location and set your location accordingly ... However, you should continue to determine where you can set his location manually

I think this wasn't originally implemented for privacy reasons. Thanks for letting us know it's something you'd like though :)

Technical support:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users