Settings

Macca65

Well my Duma brothers, and sisters if there are any. I have finally thrown in the towel and don't bother applying settings anymore.

The reason being I just don't know which bandwith to use. Let me explain

I get 152mbs/12 from Virgin media, through a wired connection with the VSH in modem mode no probs. Through the Duma it drops a bit down to 130/9, so again no probs, so I select all the settings for that speed as stated through the wiki

I play the game and have very mixed results, low ping lobbies followed by higher ones, but still decent 30ms. good scores bad scores wtf moments, getting kills when it really should have been me, getting killed by people I don't even see !!!!

So I check my speeds usually just before i start to play, and I get 50/9 through the SH in modem mode, go through the Duma and it;s 35/5 so adjust the settings for those type of speeds, and experience absolutely no difference from playing with the higher speed settings.

So the only constant factor is me, but i know I am not that BAD a gamer, not great, but certainly not that bad as my scores suggest.

I can get into lobbies within the scope of the Geo Filter, and they seem decent mostly around 30ms, but it always seems to keep searching for a host in game, even though it seems to be on a dedi, and I don't get booted.

And there ALWAYS seems to be some one, sometimes on both teams that is way ahead of everyone else.

In conclusion, I think the duma works, and does what it says on the tin, but I think you have to tinker about with it an awful lot, like Raddy, and Lukasz and others have done, I have just run out of patience with it, mainly because the speeds on my ISP appear to be so variable that I can't get the correct settings for it anymore, if I have ever had them in the first place.

So for those of you that it helps, enjoy :) :)

Edit: Left my settings as per speeds of over 120' put my locations in France and geo filter set for 650 miles and same old story couple of food some OK rest very poor.

If only we were on the same plan Macca, I'm on 100/6 at the mo and gotta wait til Jan - March 2016 for my 'free' upgrade to match yours  :angry:

When I set my dl between 72.2Mbits/s & 84 (91% on CC) and my ul between 5.25 & 5.28 (91%also) I tend do get an A+, A+ from dslreports.

If I leave both on 100% I get a D, C rating.

As I don't need 'Turbo Mode', I noticed when doing speedtests the needle was bouncing around erratically when it reached top speed and was getting 98-ish top download.

I then enabled Turbo Mode to test anyway, tried a speedtest only this time the needle remained still with no drops and gave me speeds before the 1.03.5 fw like 108.34Mbits/s.

I've stuck to these settings since and I get around 9 out of 10 good games. If I shoot first I win   :)

Just to note, as I was issued a new IP on 27th Nov every test I did has been after 1 - 2am as this is the only time my Virgin internet is kind of stable with a new fix date of 9th Dec (whatever lol).

You might not suffer from 'over utilisation' as I do so you might be able to test at peak times. I don't get a stable connection at all as you can see from my quality monitor below.

I've done that much testing that dslreports banned my IP as they thought I was a bot hahahhah (sorted now btw)

On my previous IP as soon as it struck 12am my connection was perfect... anyway, seems like we gotta work on this together somehow ? :(

Maybe a personal visit to VM ? I got balaclavas  :lol:

If only we were on the same plan Macca, I'm on 100/6 at the mo and gotta wait til Jan - March 2016 for my 'free' upgrade to match yours  :angry:

When I set my dl between 72.2Mbits/s & 84 (91% on CC) and my ul between 5.25 & 5.28 (91%also) I tend do get an A+, A+ from dslreports.

If I leave both on 100% I get a D, C rating.

As I don't need 'Turbo Mode', I noticed when doing speedtests the needle was bouncing around erratically when it reached top speed and was getting 98-ish top download.

I then enabled Turbo Mode to test anyway, tried a speedtest only this time the needle remained still with no drops and gave me speeds before the 1.03.5 fw like 108.34Mbits/s.

I've stuck to these settings since and I get around 9 out of 10 good games. If I shoot first I win   :)

Just to note, as I was issued a new IP on 27th Nov every test I did has been after 1 - 2am as this is the only time my Virgin internet is kind of stable with a new fix date of 9th Dec (whatever lol).

You might not suffer from 'over utilisation' as I do so you might be able to test at peak times. I don't get a stable connection at all as you can see from my quality monitor below.

I've done that much testing that dslreports banned my IP as they thought I was a bot hahahhah (sorted now btw)

On my previous IP as soon as it struck 12am my connection was perfect... anyway, seems like we gotta work on this together somehow ? :(

Maybe a personal visit to VM ? I got balaclavas  :lol:

Lol I contacted Virgin via the forum (Virgin support) and asked about the drop in speeds, all they said was that they tested the line and it was fine lol

I have given up tweaking the speeds/settings etc and basically just plug and play :)

Lol I contacted Virgin via the forum (Virgin support) and asked about the drop in speeds, all they said was that they tested the line and it was fine lol

I have given up tweaking the speeds/settings etc and basically just plug and play :)

There's more to VM internet though than just having a line test, they just mean that your db levels are fine and 'in the green' going to your property.

When my IP changed I gave them a call and the indian lady (overseas) tried changing my dowload & upload channels, I was only showing 6Mbits down at the time and after the change my speed doubled to 12 at peak times, I said it was ok but not brilliant. She changed them again and I got 8Mbits down and said that's all she could do for me.

(wish I told her to leave it when I got 12down)

I then got put through to a UK lady who never remotely tried to help, just listened and told me the fix date.

Basically she was rude so I returned the favour by saying I'm off if not fixed, it has been 4 years of over utilisation but apparently she told me Virgin don't care if you've been there 5 minutes or 50 yrs so loyalty doesn't exist. She reminded me of my contract also but I told her contracts don't exist if you're not getting the service you pay for even if it says 'upto'.

Adjust your C.C. and FLOWER and test every time with dslreports until you get the best line possible. 

I went from an F rating on bufferbloat and adjusted until I had an A.

I must say there is a HUGE difference in games and no matter if anyone is suffering lag spikes in game I play pretty damn smooth.

Obviously you will want your gaming rig to get priority in the flower right?

I have mine set 50/25/25 so 50% priority to my console and 25% to my laptop and when my phone is on then it gets the other 25%.

But when you do the dslreports test you will want to set the 50% for your computer, then once you get the best rating, switch the flower back to 50% going to your gaming rig.

Having a the best bandwidth package means nothing if you have bufferbloat and dont adjust your netduma to get rid of it.

Hope this helps...

Adjust your C.C. and FLOWER and test every time with dslreports until you get the best line possible. 

I went from an F rating on bufferbloat and adjusted until I had an A.

I must say there is a HUGE difference in games and no matter if anyone is suffering lag spikes in game I play pretty damn smooth.

Obviously you will want your gaming rig to get priority in the flower right?

I have mine set 50/25/25 so 50% priority to my console and 25% to my laptop and when my phone is on then it gets the other 25%.

But when you do the dslreports test you will want to set the 50% for your computer, then once you get the best rating, switch the flower back to 50% going to your gaming rig.

Having a the best bandwidth package means nothing if you have bufferbloat and dont adjust your netduma to get rid of it.

Hope this helps...

Truth be told old it's all to much messing about with setting etc for a casual gamer like myself. I spend half the time trying to find that sweet spot and the other half rage quitting lol

So I just accept the inevitable and rage quit :) :) :)

Im hearing you Macca. Same here can never find the sweet spot. ive done the wiki and followed alot of posts in forum. I've had the router for months now.  I think the sweet spot changes from game to game. If only the router found that sweet spot for you. way to much tinkering involved.

so just today my bufferbloat when from nothing measured on the test to a D rating [CC at 100%], i was getting around 66down/4.5up on a paid for 60-4 subscription. i drop the CC to 99% and only get 52.4/3.73 which mathematically doesnt make sense, but i get a BB A rating. i am taking a 21% hit on my speeds for a 1% drop on my CC slider.

No matter how you set your netduma, go and test it with dslreports and see what your bufferbloat is.

Bet you all have a terrible rating, but if you keep adjusting the netduma and keep testing with dslreports until you get a good rating.

You wont have to worry about anything after that.

Actually I was testing it there... Some of worst gaming in a while after getting it to an A rating last night. More lag than I have seen in a very long time. Then again there were some really high ping people in the lobbies last night too.

No matter how you set your netduma, go and test it with dslreports and see what your bufferbloat is.

Bet you all have a terrible rating, but if you keep adjusting the netduma and keep testing with dslreports until you get a good rating.

You wont have to worry about anything after that.

I am fairly sure I read somewhere that the differences in bufferbloat ratings between A-B don't cause any issue. Mine is usually an A but does drop to a B on occasion.

As gaming is generally about the ping I fail to see how bufferbloat is an issue, but am willing to be convinced otherwise :)

Macca i get mine to a+ on the dsl test page, means nothing in game on black ops 3, game goes from good to atrocious in a heartbeat, my duma tests all come up exceptional but still its some of the most horrid lag you can think off, i can only assume its who else is connecting that ruins it for me. same shit, different year.

On many occasions with black ops 3 I've joined a game of dom and can't kill anything for shit then that one laggy ass player backs out and my game is instantly turned around,last night I played combine dom and had an atrocious start until half way through the first half 2 guys left on my team and I ended up getting 68 kills with 8000 score,my vmp started tearing through everyone,the games crazy the netduma is fine

On many occasions with black ops 3 I've joined a game of dom and can't kill anything for shit then that one laggy ass player backs out and my game is instantly turned around,last night I played combine dom and had an atrocious start until half way through the first half 2 guys left on my team and I ended up getting 68 kills with 8000 score,my vmp started tearing through everyone,the games crazy the netduma is fine

I have no quarrel with the. Netduma, or with anything else :)

Just to show how crazy it all is I put my CC sliders way down to 30/15 and went positive in every game

The PA was very steady on 25 ish as it's usually bouncing about a bit the whole thing is generally a lottery :)

Yeah I tried that BB test and moving the CC sliders got an A but it didn't make a difference in game at 65 up and down on the sliders plus Line and Speed got an F. I re ran the test again at 65 and got a C.

I am fairly sure I read somewhere that the differences in bufferbloat ratings between A-B don't cause any issue. Mine is usually an A but does drop to a B on occasion.

As gaming is generally about the ping I fail to see how bufferbloat is an issue, but am willing to be convinced otherwise :)

Bufferbloat is really what causes the lag in games no matter how you set up the netduma.

I have stated in a few threads about this and I had an F rating and got it to be an A, line quality is another thing to try an get a better grade.

Once I got it a good as I could, I then went and changed my MTU to 1416.

Not matter how crappy the lobby is, my connection is pure and smooth.

I don't know what else to tell you guys but don't put off the bufferbloat test as if its nothing because it really means a lot in game.

Bufferbloat is really what causes the lag in games no matter how you set up the netduma.

I have stated in a few threads about this and I had an F rating and got it to be an A, line quality is another thing to try an get a better grade.

Once I got it a good as I could, I then went and changed my MTU to 1416.

Not matter how crappy the lobby is, my connection is pure and smooth.

I don't know what else to tell you guys but don't put off the bufferbloat test as if its nothing because it really means a lot in game.

what are your other settings dude?

that test measures the BB under load... if you are playing on a quiet network the test results wont matter as you arent taxing the buffers...

That's what I thought, and there is only me using the bandwith as I play when the other half is not in.

I cranked my settings way down yesterday and had some decent games.

So I will try the same settings today and see how I get on with them.

Recent scores kd has been 0.68 0.75. 0.88 0.50 changed my settings and it went to 1.25 2.25.1.0 3.75 0.78 1.0 which for me is a marked difference :)

That's what I thought, and there is only me using the bandwith as I play when the other half is not in.

I cranked my settings way down yesterday and had some decent games.

So I will try the same settings today and see how I get on with them.

Recent scores kd has been 0.68 0.75. 0.88 0.50 changed my settings and it went to 1.25 2.25.1.0 3.75 0.78 1.0 which for me is a marked difference :)

Haha read this! This rings true for me so much. Consistent settings just don't seem to exist for me. One day the game can be good. After the sesh put sliders back to 100 then b4 gaming on my next sesh put sliders to what they were before, same French server! Totally different experience!

And I totally don't get how the kdr system works. Mine seems stuck floating around 1.63 - 1.65. And that's it spm is around 218-220.

Just nothing to me with this game ever seems solid lol which is a shame because I think I'm kind of addicted. What system u playing on Macca?

Haha read this! This rings true for me so much. Consistent settings just don't seem to exist for me. One day the game can be good. After the sesh put sliders back to 100 then b4 gaming on my next sesh put sliders to what they were before, same French server! Totally different experience!

And I totally don't get how the kdr system works. Mine seems stuck floating around 1.63 - 1.65. And that's it spm is around 218-220.

Just nothing to me with this game ever seems solid lol which is a shame because I think I'm kind of addicted. What system u playing on Macca?

I am on the PS4 Sir Smooch, I have my home location the same as Lucasz near the Belgum/French border and although I seem to get different servers the ping is usually steady at around 25/30.

I just go from game to game if I can stay in the positive I am usually happy, I don't really mind if I end up in the negative, as long as it was a good game and no wtf moments :)

70% each way keeps the bloat away and it is what Iain recommends anyhow. keeps me at A no matter what so no need to faf about in my eyes.

I have left it at 70% for ages as I never used to bother changing the settings. Since going to the update I have left them again at 70% but I never got a decent game.

I have looked at Raddy's and Lukasz's settings and tried the out with little success for me.

In desperation /annoyance I cranked the down and got some reasonable results for me, so will try them again, if the don't make any difference I am of to specsavers :)

I have left it at 70% for ages as I never used to bother changing the settings. Since going to the update I have left them again at 70% but I never got a decent game.

I have looked at Raddy's and Lukasz's settings and tried the out with little success for me.

In desperation /annoyance I cranked the down and got some reasonable results for me, so will try them again, if the don't make any difference I am of to specsavers :)

Have u tried raddys latest suggest of keeping the download high but upload at 10%? I mostly just keep it at 70% tbh but have a fiddle from time to time! I'm not sold on the buffer bloat tests tbh. For a start your running the test through the PC web browser, which is different hardware to what the ps4 is running on! And if u run it through the ps4 web browser again i get very different results, especially to ping, even if the buffer bloat is at a minimum! What days/times do u usually game Macca?

Have u tried raddys latest suggest of keeping the download high but upload at 10%? I mostly just keep it at 70% tbh but have a fiddle from time to time! I'm not sold on the buffer bloat tests tbh. For a start your running the test through the PC web browser, which is different hardware to what the ps4 is running on! And if u run it through the ps4 web browser again i get very different results, especially to ping, even if the buffer bloat is at a minimum! What days/times do u usually game Macca?

Usually late afternoon, between 3-5 before all the kiddiwinkles get home from school :) and jam up the Internet :)

I agree with you re the BB not conviced it makes that great of a difference unless you are downloading stuff while playing, which I don't

Archived