To Duma or not to Duma

Macca65

As the title suggests do you find it better with or without the Duma. To be honest to myself I don't think it makes a great deal of difference to me. I find it easier to get into games nearer home location but the lobbies are bad bad bad

I don't thinks it the Dumas fault, AW justs plays shite for me 95% of the time.

I have just installed the update, which seemed to take all night, and had a few lobbies and they were crap with a capital CRAP.

I played 4 lobbies of HCKC and the in the games the side I was got slaughtered by 20-30 points, no one was positive I changed my load out 4 times cause I was conviced I was firing blanks.

I am coming to the conclusion that I am not enjoying this game any longer

I love the fact that with the duma I can a least stay with in 300 miles of the dedi of my choice.But the bigger feature for me is the CC and the ability to not have my gaming lag as a result of Mrs Fuzzy watching netflix.

IMO the fine makers of AW have provided us all with enough lag,I don't need any extra from someone taking my bandwidth.As much as I love the duma it can't make up for all the problems with AW,it works as advertised and has a lot of great features built in that come in handy.

So IMO way better with the duma than with out.If you have older titles and and older system play those games,huge difference when not using the duma.Actually makes MW3 and BO2 fun to play,which I never said before I got the duma as they played horrible for me.

play something else man, CoDs netcode just isnt well made

if you like the playstyle of CoD maybe give BF4 and its deathmatch a try, imo the superior game with less random BS that gets on your nerves

I definitely prefer having the [Duma], but more importantly the Geo Filter, for my gaming.  Being located in the Seattle area, and the highly populated tech/gaming market, I don't want to get hosts halfway across the country when I can get a hosted game here locally.  Check these shots from last night's solo venture into the world of Blops 2 out.

LI1rdHT.jpg

m1addbH.jpg

What I like about this router is that it is a gaming router built by gamers. Honestly I don't know how I gamed this long without it. I believe what kept me from going insane with all the b.s. in COD is maybe because I play other games.

What works for me is when i feel like the router is not working for me I will game a session without it. Eye opening experience.

I'm 3kdr in AW TDM and with Netduma I get booted out from 99% (or it probably tries to join the same one over and over) of the few matched lobbies with it on (it'll attempt to join but would back out of the lobby right away).  It can take upwards of 5 minutes until it finds a match for me with 500km distance and no ping assist in Dallas, TX, but once it finds a match it will also 99% of the time feel smooth.  So it's a question of whether or not I have time to wait.

Perhaps the Netduma router can play a short beep when it actually joins a game successfully so I can browse while I wait :P  But these days because of the longer wait times, I just keep it off and monitor the ping and take advantage of it's congestion control which does help based on my testing.  Then I can see the full picture of my match and not rely on the ping bars which tell me nothing these days.

I do love my Netduma and it will only get better from here on out.  The dev(s) seem really excited about their algorithms/rewrite for the next firmware and so am I, but I keep my expectations in check and know that there are just some things that are beyond the router's control or may conflict with the way AW wants to matchmake (with it being skill-based).

One thing I would caution all members is to factor in the life cycle of AW itself when making plans for your new router.  AW wasn't a super strong seller after the initial release, it hasn't had great retention, and now people are migrating off of it to get ready for Black Ops 3.

I'd personally keep it hooked up until at least the first week or so in December before scrapping it and going back to Online (Russian) Roulette with CoD's matchmaking abilities.

• Administrators

Hey Macca,

Sorry to hear that. Fraser will be here to help you out. Don't give up gaming just yet mate.

Don't mean to come off defensive but its almost a certainty that it does help. Just getting to NY is going to add 90ms to your game. That means literally between you doing an action there is at least 90ms before its even feasibly possible for the host to know anything occurred. That's best case scenario for US host. 

Also I'll be posting scentific whitepaper soon on our congestion control results soon. The results in my opinion are remarkable. 

Hey Macca,

Sorry to hear that. Fraser will be here to help you out. Don't give up gaming just yet mate.

Don't mean to come off defensive but its almost a certainty that it does help. Just getting to NY is going to add 90ms to your game. That means literally between you doing an action there is at least 90ms before its even feasibly possible for the host to know anything occurred. That's best case scenario for US host. 

Also I'll be posting scentific whitepaper soon on our congestion control results soon. The results in my opinion are remarkable.

No problems Iain, I was not having a pop at the Duma, or anything or anyone else.

Just voicing my frustration at the game. It does play ok sometimes for me, but after a 2XP, and an update I should walk away, as it plays terrible for me, in my experience.

I was curious to hear other people's experiences........

Oh I see, I heard double xp plays bad for some reason. I'm not sure, but either way Fraser should be here to help soon :)

Something that I have found extremely beneficial is to play with both the SIZE of the Geo Filter and the amount of my connection I want to devote to the game, depending on the number of players online (when you can see them as AW removed the player count  :mellow:  :angry: )

For double XP weekend or when there are tons of players on line like Tuesday and Friday Nights, I always shrink my Geo Filter way down, half normal size, as I have a lot of hosts near me that I have rated highly for their low pings.

What I had been experiencing is that I would keep my filter the same size, but I would be connection to "newer", more casual players who were on for the Double XP, who don't have the best internet set ups.  As they are frequently a state or two away, it can easily double your ping when the game starts rolling and there is a lot of action going on in game.

Looks like Fraser is going to get you hooked up Macca - Hope you get some better games brother. :)

AW was really smooth when it first came out but as every COD in the past,they start updating and DLC gets released.When that happens the player base gets fragmented which makes game play worse due to connecting with people farther away on the dedi's and a lower player pool to choose from.

But in all honesty AW is just a really bad game,between the old engine and the exo movements,IMO it just can't keep up

Something that I have found extremely beneficial is to play with both the SIZE of the Geo Filter and the amount of my connection I want to devote to the game, depending on the number of players online (when you can see them as AW removed the player count  :mellow:  :angry: )

For double XP weekend or when there are tons of players on line like Tuesday and Friday Nights, I always shrink my Geo Filter way down, half normal size, as I have a lot of hosts near me that I have rated highly for their low pings.

What I had been experiencing is that I would keep my filter the same size, but I would be connection to "newer", more casual players who were on for the Double XP, who don't have the best internet set ups.  As they are frequently a state or two away, it can easily double your ping when the game starts rolling and there is a lot of action going on in game.

Looks like Fraser is going to get you hooked up Macca - Hope you get some better games brother. :)

Absolutely agree.  I experienced the same.  X2 XP weekends always seem to be more laggy with AW.  I did not think of lower the filter for x2xp weekend. Great idea.  Thank you.  I am in San Diego, and I play with some friends on the east coast of the USA.   They have friends of friends join, so I always have to disable the geo filter because of constantly changing out teammates.  I definitely notice the difference when playing with my west coast friends with geo filter vs east coast friends without geo filter. 

Archived