Welcome R2 owners! We want your feedback!

Netduma Alex

On 11/18/2022 at 4:21 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

@Mostwest thank you for the suggestions!

1. There is a limited amount we can do via the software but we're doing what we can
  2. We kind of already have the functionality for that but I don't know if there are plans currently to make this active
  3. For our customer base I think this is a bit overkill and would drive up the price quite a lot and exclude a lot of our customers as there are very few who have over 1Gbps
  4. Could you expand on what you mean exactly?
  5. You can make custom rules to prioritize ports currently

1. yes. Software wise there is not much to do about that, That's why i said R3 as next hardware upgrade

2. That should be easy to code, it's already there but not for the consumer

3. The thing is that most of Motherboards have now 2,5gb ports and R3 would make it future proof. It's a gaming router that already cost around 200$ pretty sure most of the people would be happy to have a 2.5gb ports instead of using other routers

4. As now the Geofilter list can't be modified by the consumers, it would be cool if we were able to make it work regardless if the game is in the list or not. Right now only works for some games, but if we know the server or R2 would be able to save the list of the one used and exclude the one with biggest ping

5. Yes, you can manually add those ports but as for now they are not recognized as gaming traffic, but unknown traffic so the distribuition based on games wouldn't make sense.

As A side note would be cool if R2 with a software could just scan the exe of the game and in 1-2 weeks could automatically create rules for ports that are used. This would definitely help the devs, speeding up times and every consumer would be happy.

Software could do like register all ports used by game.exe (example) in 1-2 weeks of gaming it would be able to map those ports and send them to the R2 to be added automatically.

• Administrators

@Mostwestthanks for the feedback, you have made some good points there. For the Geo-Filter, using the Games Console service will allow it for any game if that game works at the time (excluding potential updates from us that are needed). Prioritization and Bandwidth Allocation are different, BA can still tell you're gaming, it doesn't rely on Traffic Prio. 

We're actually going in a different direction for getting all games sorted and able to be prioritized pretty quickly so we're a bit ahead of you on that one, we're going the DPI route rather than ports which is more specific.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd highly welcome an import/export function for the configuration (General stuff like ip address, wan/lan settings and DHCP as well as hostnames) since the amount of times you have to do a factory reset is quite ... unusual to say the least and I got a lot of reservations configured...

Other than that, when it's working, it's working brilliant.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, FntX said:

I'd highly welcome an import/export function for the configuration (General stuff like ip address, wan/lan settings and DHCP as well as hostnames) since the amount of times you have to do a factory reset is quite ... unusual to say the least and I got a lot of reservations configured...

Other than that, when it's working, it's working brilliant.

That is something that has been requested before so it is likely to be added in future

I have another suggestion:

I'm running a /16 network and the DHCP is limited to the first block of addresses.

Example: 10.0.0.0/16 

Range is only available from 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255

It would be nice if this could be configurable depending on the masks used.

32 minutes ago, FntX said:

I have another suggestion:

I'm running a /16 network and the DHCP is limited to the first block of addresses.

Example: 10.0.0.0/16 

Range is only available from 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.255

It would be nice if this could be configurable depending on the masks used.

Thanks for that, let me add that too!

• 2 weeks later...

After about one month of use, except the "vanishing" of MW2 servers which is actually WIP AFAIK, my experience with R2 is giving me mixed feelings.

Hardware-wise it's ok, I'd like more HP under the hood, but is "enough" to do its job.

Let's talk now about 3.2.453 on R2.

The Congestion Control and QoS part seems to work very well, finally bufferbloat is no more a thing in my home network, but I think there are parts of the OS in deep need of improvements.

Just to mention a couple things, in System Information, the Network Status tab doesn't display the correct external IP address, but the very first one the system has seen, from a month ago (it doesn't refresh the info), while in the Installed Rapps tab every switch is just greyed-out, cosmetic, I'm not allowed to "pause" or shut-down anything nor to make any change in whether or not I want every rapp to start at boot-up.

It could be useful to just tell the system to not boot-up some unused rapp, to save system resources and make everything in use more snappy, I'd highly appreciate to be able to tell the system, just as an example, to not initialize the ad-block rapp which I don't make use of, or any other one.

To better explain another thing in which I'd like to see improvements I cannot avoid to mention the Geo-Filter and Ping Heatmap assembly:

Fast Search is not defined in the contextual help nor anywhere else to my knowledge, I'd like to know what it does, there is no way to manually add the IP of a server-client to a block/allow list, you can do it only through the Ping tab in the Geo-Filter "rapp", of course only if you could catch on the fly the desired IP (almost impossible if Auto-Ping is on), while in the Ping Heatmap rapp you can add an IP to a list, but everything you can do is just that, or "ping" that list, while you cannot interact anymore (except for deletion) with the allowed/blocked list in the Geo-Filter side, in which, furthermore, you have no clue on the IP address behind the ID of the node.

In a perfect world I'd like to see a merge between Geo-Filter and Ping Heatmap or, to say at least, a better interoperability between the two "rapps", a better interaction between shared (and useful) lists, context menus to allow/block/ping everything in sight, a "slow mode" for Auto-Ping (otherwise is almost useless), I'd like to not see anymore an IPv6 entry in the logs while IPv6 is disabled everywhere, I'd like to see blocked servers icons in Geo-Filter while ATM it seems the system never-ever blocks anything, I'd like to see "functioning" toggle switches for rapps to start or not, I'd like to have an overall more polished experience.

Please don't get me wrong, being english not my first language, I know there's the risk I could be misunderstood, to be crystal clear, I love DumaOS, I think the idea behind it is just "genius", what I'd like to say is just I think you guys have gold in your hand, I hope you can make it shine a lot more ... and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks for bearing with me in this long post and keep up your excellent job.

• Administrators

@JustinCase thank you for your feedback, to address your points, does the IP on Sys Info update after a reboot? The Rapp panel is intentionally unable to be used for the moment but that may come into play in the future. We are actually planning/working on merging the Geo-Filter and Ping Heatmap together so they will be more useful together, that will be a ways off. Allowing manual additions to allow/deny has been requested before so it's on our list to potentially add.

I'd recommend signing up for Early Access so you can try any new builds there: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/39415-introducing-early-access/

Glad to hear you're enjoying it overall though!

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

@JustinCase thank you for your feedback, to address your points, does the IP on Sys Info update after a reboot? .../snip...

Unfortunately, as I said, the external IP address in Sys Info Network Status doesn't update, regardless whether you reboot the device 12 times or shoot it with a 12 gauge, it's stuck I believe on the very first IP it has seen a month ago or so, even if it doesn't affect anything, could be nice to have it display a correct info.

I'm definitely enjoying the thing, otherwise I'd not be here, and thanks for the invite to apply for early access, I'll do my best to help the thing shine even more.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, JustinCase said:

Unfortunately, as I said, the external IP address in Sys Info Network Status doesn't update, regardless whether you reboot the device 12 times or shoot it with a 12 gauge, it's stuck I believe on the very first IP it has seen a month ago or so, even if it doesn't affect anything, could be nice to have it display a correct info.

I'm definitely enjoying the thing, otherwise I'd not be here, and thanks for the invite to apply for early access, I'll do my best to help the thing shine even more.

Interesting okay, what does the IP end with? Does the WAN & public IP both show the outdated address?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Interesting okay, what does the IP end with? Does the WAN & public IP both show the outdated address?

Actually the R2 is configured to static IP as DMZ to the gateway (no security concerns, I just use it for my gaming consoles and a laptop I use for accessing its web interface), its WAN IP reported address is the IP of its configured WAN interface (in a /24 subnet), which is correct, if I switch to PPPOE (relying on the PPPOE passthrough protocol on the gateway) the correct public IP is displayed in the WAN IP field, but in both cases the Public IP field stays the same, stuck to an old value in the range of one of my provider's pools.

I tried switching back and forth from static to pppoe and viceversa several times (not dhcp, since I've disabled it on the gateway) and rebooting the router with no results, that Public IP shown seems iron cast and is definitely wrong, since the Public IP of the gateway has changed like tens of times in the past weeks.

I assume it should display the actual Public IP dynamically assigned to the gateway from the provider while in static and the same value as WAN IP when in PPPOE, am I wrong ?

• Administrators

@JustinCase I'd recommend signing up for Early Access and then once approved try the firmware there as we have made fixes and improvements so it would be good to see you still have that issue and if it is the devs can rule out things more easily with you on the latest.

https://forum.netduma.com/topic/39415-introducing-early-access/

• 2 months later...
On 11/22/2022 at 7:00 AM, Mostwest said:

1. yes. Software wise there is not much to do about that, That's why i said R3 as next hardware upgrade

2. That should be easy to code, it's already there but not for the consumer

3. The thing is that most of Motherboards have now 2,5gb ports and R3 would make it future proof. It's a gaming router that already cost around 200$ pretty sure most of the people would be happy to have a 2.5gb ports instead of using other routers

4. As now the Geofilter list can't be modified by the consumers, it would be cool if we were able to make it work regardless if the game is in the list or not. Right now only works for some games, but if we know the server or R2 would be able to save the list of the one used and exclude the one with biggest ping

5. Yes, you can manually add those ports but as for now they are not recognized as gaming traffic, but unknown traffic so the distribuition based on games wouldn't make sense.

As A side note would be cool if R2 with a software could just scan the exe of the game and in 1-2 weeks could automatically create rules for ports that are used. This would definitely help the devs, speeding up times and every consumer would be happy.

Software could do like register all ports used by game.exe (example) in 1-2 weeks of gaming it would be able to map those ports and send them to the R2 to be added automatically.

Something to ask and add to the discussion here, since Mostwest mentioned adding servers manually, Would it be possible to add servers directly from the ping heatmap, assuming its up to date, directly to the Geo Filter? Since it tell us what the best ping servers are it would be really convenient to add them to the filter manually to test the connection or even just to stick to those servers when gaming. Even better would be to implement a way to add server IP addresses, if they were easily accesible somehow.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, KingXFocusedxX said:

Something to ask and add to the discussion here, since Mostwest mentioned adding servers manually, Would it be possible to add servers directly from the ping heatmap, assuming its up to date, directly to the Geo Filter? Since it tell us what the best ping servers are it would be really convenient to add them to the filter manually to test the connection or even just to stick to those servers when gaming. Even better would be to implement a way to add server IP addresses, if they were easily accesible somehow.

We're actually working on integrating Ping Heatmap and the Geo-Filter together to make an overall better, more optimized experience!

• 2 months later...

Xfinity internet 950 download, 24 mb upload

R2 router

Cat6 cables

Xbox series X console

First off, just want to thank you guys for all the hard work you all do for the community and industry.  I usually am pretty critical of the team/product when I post on twitter and that is not at a representation of how I feel about the people who do the work or even the people in the community who come and post feedback and criticisms.  Having said that, firmware 3.3.280 is a masterpiece in my opinion, comparatively speaking to the other updates.  Everything is much more in tune and operates as intended.  The stability is great with the exception of the litle pingmap issue where the cloud wouldn't load even after reboots last week that seems to have worked itself out.  

I do have some questions on server tick rate and such regarding smaller games that dont have the server standard i guess as other games. Like mlb the show servers tick rate never exceeds 10 and sometimes will shoot to 0 while call of duty warzone will stay around 20 the entire match. Also, the servers will disappear on the mlb game and youll have to reload the Geo-filter page while Call of duty maintains that steady read of ping without having to reload my page.  Any feedback there? Maybe the game is smaller and therefore cant afford the higher quality servers? 

Second, I have been experimenting with speedtests, cat5e, cat6 ethernet, connection benchmark tests, bufferbloat tests from waveform, auto-setup in the bufferbloat page and the ping optimization page on the mobile version but on desktop.  All this to narrow down and connection and understand my own connection better.  For years I just tried to make it the best overall conenction where everyone has diiferent experiences, cable or fiber, etc.  instead of just focusing on my own.  So, when i use my equipment, I have my xfinity router that comes with their service and place it in bridge mode with my r2.  I get 950 mbps down, 24 mbps up when not in bridge mode using the xfinity router/modem combo as intended to be used in a normal household.  When I use my r2 and have the router/modem in bridge mode, i get about 940 down, 24.2 up.  This is interesting.  I tinker with speed by overshooting, I will set download to 1000 and upload to 30 and run tests just to maximize the speed to see. So, I then run an auto-setup, it defaults to 100% down and 81% up (which is 24.3), 80% would be the 24 mbps.  I play games, and it is great sometimes but others, not.  Same with the setting at what my original test gives me at 24 mbps.  Runs well sometimes but not others.  

I never really adjust my congestion wheel because I read that is doesn't matter sometimes. I tinker with it but after a few hours or a day I go back because it will start running strange.  I also set my MTU to the default xfninty MTU 1500 and things seems to run fine where I felt sometimes when I wouldn't set it, it would run slow/clunky.  Any feedback would be appreciated or just general feedback.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum @Martdog23!

Thank you for the kind words, it's much appreciated and glad to hear you're having a good experience with .280.

Tick rate isn't something we can influence unfortunately, I suspect for console exclusive games publishers may not feel the need to invest in those higher rate servers as customers may be limited to a 60Hz screen for example. For an FPS having more frequent screen updates is more important than a sports game for example which may have something to do with it as well. Is the server shown the entire time you're in a game? 

I would suggest not using Auto Setup, we're still working to improve that so go with the percentages that work best for you. Given your speeds Bandwidth Allocation probably isn't as needed but would still suggest using CC & TP!

Thanks for the feedback @Netduma Fraser, just out of curiosity, are you familiar with Xfinity internet? Not sure if they are overseas.  Within their app, they allow you to do a test and see what your speed to your gateway currently is, this is not a "speedtest". However, I see in all videos regarding you all's product that users are to do a speedtest to calculate the speeds, but you guys at netduma also recommend if you know your speed to just go off of that.  Im asking because I get a little bit different speeds when i do each test.  It shows arround 960 down and about 23.7 up in the gateway test but in the speedtest it says 943 down and 24 up. Any insight? Thank you!

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Martdog23 said:

Thanks for the feedback @Netduma Fraser, just out of curiosity, are you familiar with Xfinity internet? Not sure if they are overseas.  Within their app, they allow you to do a test and see what your speed to your gateway currently is, this is not a "speedtest". However, I see in all videos regarding you all's product that users are to do a speedtest to calculate the speeds, but you guys at netduma also recommend if you know your speed to just go off of that.  Im asking because I get a little bit different speeds when i do each test.  It shows arround 960 down and about 23.7 up in the gateway test but in the speedtest it says 943 down and 24 up. Any insight? Thank you!

We don't have them in the UK but I know what you mean regarding their "speedtest". The speeds for you aren't varying by much and you have a lot to play with anyway so you could go 950 down, 24 up to split the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

This issue/glitch still exists for some? My phone (S23 Ultra) has an option to randomize the mac address each time it connects or changes dynamically like an ip would in dhcp, so theoretically making its IP static would make the device "stick" to my router, no? unfortunately thats not what happens, and each time my phone connects to my router it shows up in device control as "unnamed device" even though it I have saved static ip on my phone and reserved the IP in dhcp in the r2 settings, and have named the device when its connected. I changed my devices settings to not randomize the MAC address, which causes the router to act normally, but shouldnt it work regardless if my ip is reserved and set static for my router? Just curious as to how the router focuses on mac adresses when its a layer 3 device and I can set IP's directly to devices

• Administrators
11 hours ago, KingXFocusedxX said:

This issue/glitch still exists for some? My phone (S23 Ultra) has an option to randomize the mac address each time it connects or changes dynamically like an ip would in dhcp, so theoretically making its IP static would make the device "stick" to my router, no? unfortunately thats not what happens, and each time my phone connects to my router it shows up in device control as "unnamed device" even though it I have saved static ip on my phone and reserved the IP in dhcp in the r2 settings, and have named the device when its connected. I changed my devices settings to not randomize the MAC address, which causes the router to act normally, but shouldnt it work regardless if my ip is reserved and set static for my router? Just curious as to how the router focuses on mac adresses when its a layer 3 device and I can set IP's directly to devices

A MAC address is a unique hardware identifier, so by setting a static IP you're saying assign an IP to this unique device, if that device MAC address changes then it cannot assign that IP to it as it appears as though it's another unique device. The randomize option wouldn't really be a problem on a normal router as you rarely interact with its interface but for a DumaOS device where you apply settings to specific devices that's where it gets a bit annoying, so it would be best to disable to ensure your settings apply correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for letting us know, looks like you're watching it on an LG TV is that right?

yes. it was for maybe 15min then it changed

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, frnchkick said:

yes. it was for maybe 15min then it changed

Thanks I'll pass it on, this would be best suited to the Early Access section if you have something like this specific to an early access version