At my wits end

Ptingler81

Playing BO4. So I've spent about 20 hours the last 3 days, "tweaking" my XR500 for my PS4. Still about .5 second behind the action. Hit detection seems decent but I get melted in half a second, and my bullets sometimes seem to not register as fast as other players. My speeds are approx. 600mb+ down/15-18mb up. I've read the topics from Ghost and others regarding Traffic Prioritizing, and Hit Detection. Some things I want to ask and also confirm. I think I've got top of the line equipment, and fast internet it's just frustrating!!

1. There was mention in the Traffic Prioritizing topic of a 5-digit "port" number that my PS4 uses and to prioritize that. Where can I find that?? Is it the 5-digit number in upper right corner of network settings?

2. I've been told based on my speeds that ABB may not do much for me. I was told by an admin that I can do 70% slider on upload speeds. However, when I changed my upload slider, it automatically lowers my download speed even with the download slider set to 100%.

3. I have Comcast cable (ugh) on Ping Plotter my line fluctuates about 5 ms up/down every few seconds. Don't know if that could be a reason.

4. I have put in Traffic Priority ports 9308 and 3074 which are the two ports that show up on UPnP. I've also put ports 30000-45000 in there. Anyone have additional ports on PS4 that they've had success with.

5. I don't have a PC, I only have a laptop. Is there anything I can do to diagnose my connection or show the ports I'm using in game? If so, how would I do this? I'm grasping at straws here...

(I've put about $1k in equipment between modem/router/monitor) There's a lot of you here that are smarter then me when it comes to this stuff, looking for any help.

My Equipment:

Netgear CM-1000 modem

XR500 Router

PS4 PRO

Asus 1 ms monitor 60hz refresh rate

CAT 6 cable running to modem ---> XR500 ---> PS4.

5ms jitter on a fibre line is a bit poor, that will not help you much. You have your colour rgb on your PS4 pro set to automatic and not full, right? portforward.com lists every port needed for manually assigning ports. Remember though to disable upnp if port forwarding to avoid port conflicts. 

13 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

5ms jitter on a fibre line is a bit poor, that will not help you much. You have your colour rgb on your PS4 pro set to automatic and not full, right? portforward.com lists every port needed for manually assigning ports. Remember though to disable upnp if port forwarding to avoid port conflicts. 

It's a cable line, not fiber... and yes I've used that site before. PS4 is set to automatic..

1 hour ago, Ptingler81 said:

1. There was mention in the Traffic Prioritizing topic of a 5-digit "port" number that my PS4 uses and to prioritize that. Where can I find that?? Is it the 5-digit number in upper right corner of network settings?

It's a cable line, not fiber... and yes I've used that site before. PS4 is set to automatic..

Well portforward.com would list ALL ports used. the highest port number is 65535 so it would have to be below that one. I cant see of any other ports used apart from what is listed. There are lots of Chinese whispers and snake oil advice floating around on the web, i have studied it for over 20 years. If you aint convinced then use wireshark to map the ports being used by your ps4. 

4. I have put in Traffic Priority ports 9308 and 3074 which are the two ports that show up on UPnP. I've also put ports 30000-45000 in there. Anyone have additional ports on PS4 that they've had success with.

there are ports 9307 and 9308 those if I recall are the chat ports for psn chat. Here is a link to a list of ports:

https://web.mit.edu/rhel-doc/4/RH-DOCS/rhel-sg-en-4/ch-ports.html

Playing BO4. So I've spent about 20 hours the last 3 days, "tweaking" my XR500 for my PS4. Still about .5 second behind the action. Hit detection seems decent but I get melted in half a second, and my bullets sometimes seem to not register as fast as other players. My speeds are approx. 600mb+ down/15-18mb up. I've read the topics from Ghost and others regarding Traffic Prioritizing, and Hit Detection. Some things I want to ask and also confirm. I think I've got top of the line equipment, and fast internet it's just frustrating!!

2. I've been told based on my speeds that ABB may not do much for me. I was told by an admin that I can do 70% slider on upload speeds. However, when I changed my upload slider, it automatically lowers my download speed even with the download slider set to 100%.

3. I have Comcast cable (ugh) on Ping Plotter my line fluctuates about 5 ms up/down every few seconds. Don't know if that could be a reason.

5. I don't have a PC, I only have a laptop. Is there anything I can do to diagnose my connection or show the ports I'm using in game? If so, how would I do this? I'm grasping at straws here...

(I've put about $1k in equipment between modem/router/monitor) There's a lot of you here that are smarter then me when it comes to this stuff, looking for any help.

My Equipment:

Netgear CM-1000 modem

XR500 Router

PS4 PRO

Asus 1 ms monitor 60hz refresh rate

CAT 6 cable running to modem ---> XR500 ---> PS4.

I've tried all the stuff posted that you mention you've read about and for that game it does nothing for me a a 300/20 spectrum cable connection. Oddly enough they all seem better most of the time with everything off as far as qos, traffic prio etc.. So sick of broke ass mp games not working right. You know we didn't have as much trouble before "matchmaking" came along.

Edited by Netduma Alex
Reformatted message to make it clear who was talking

• Administrators

You can probably leave Anti-BB at 100% as it's unlikely you're getting local congestion but would suggest you do use Traffic Prioritization, either using manual ports that portforward shows, the console service or DumaOS Classified Games. The 5ms usually wouldn't be too much of an issue but the frequency would suggest it may hinder you in some cases. It may just be a case of the servers you're playing on, are you using the Geo-Filter? I would suggest trying to force servers slightly further away and see if it plays any better.

47 minutes ago, slugg said:

I've tried all the stuff posted that you mention you've read about and for that game it does nothing for me a a 300/20 spectrum cable connection. Oddly enough they all seem better most of the time with everything off as far as qos, traffic prio etc.. So sick of broke ass mp games not working right. You know we didn't have as much trouble before "matchmaking" came along.

I agree totally. matchmaking is a pain in the ass for everyone. It was much better when it was P2P but those days are sadly long gone. It is all matchmaking and also cloud based too more and more. 

QOS prioritises your own network traffic and has no baring on gaming apart from bufferbloat control. Traffic prioritization does work. I do not use classified games and instead prioritize my consoles individually, this avoids conflicts with anyone in the house who maybe gaming on a website or mobile phone. 

4 hours ago, BIG__DOG said:

Well portforward.com would list ALL ports used. the highest port number is 65535 so it would have to be below that one. I cant see of any other ports used apart from what is listed. There are lots of Chinese whispers and snake oil advice floating around on the web, i have studied it for over 20 years. If you aint convinced then use wireshark to map the ports being used by your ps4. 

How do I use wireshark? I've got a laptop not a PC... HELP??

16 minutes ago, Ptingler81 said:

How do I use wireshark? I've got a laptop not a PC... HELP??

it can be installed on  a laptop too. But you need to be network savvy in order to use it. it is too complicated to say in a forum post. I suggest you watch youtube videos on wireshark packet capturing. 

Hey @Ptingler81.

Cable is a shared medium and, depending on the level of expansion and use, bottlenecks can occur if  your neighbors using the Internet. When multiple homes are logged on at the same time, they share bandwidth, speed is reduced and your Ping can fluctuate. DSL, VDSL, Fiber is more stable there.

What is your Base Ping? You can Test it here: https://www.speedtest.net/

5 hours ago, Kendal said:

Hey @Ptingler81.

Cable is a shared medium and, depending on the level of expansion and use, bottlenecks can occur if  your neighbors using the Internet. When multiple homes are logged on at the same time, they share bandwidth, speed is reduced and your Ping can fluctuate. DSL, VDSL, Fiber is more stable there.

What is your Base Ping? You can Test it here: https://www.speedtest.net/

Hey so my base ping is 14-15 not bad. Something has got to be majorly wrong. It's PISSING ME OFF!!!!! I spend nearly $200/month for internet plus the equipment I've bought just to feel like every game I play I'm behind. I've done everything the admins have said to do, port fwd, 70/70 abb, traffic priority, geo-filter with servers on the East coast New Jersey and Atlanta, Chicago, Texas, and all the way across the freaking country in LA and Seattle. Still feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I truly and sincerely dont care if I die or have a bad game but I've literally spent the better part of three days (10+ hours/day, not lying) this week trying to fix this connection issue I'm having because I'm tired of seeing on this forum videos of others with better connections (great from them) stating how great the XR500 w Duma OS is. I cant be the only person here from the East Coast in the USA. It would be nice if people would share what works geographically, someone in the UK has no clue how to fix my connection, and visa versa. But if person A and person B live in the same region, chances are they connect to the same dedi's maybe have the same ISP. Get some similarities going with regions and ISPs create a thread on here of just ISP's and different settings users have found that works. For the betterment of the community.

I just want to break something right now. I feel like Fred Durst.

Hey Buddy, keep calm. 😉
Your base ping is good. The problem is, what may work for others, may not work for you. There isn't an all-in-one resolution for Everybody. Stability of your line is the key. What is your Ingame Ping? How does your PingPlotter & QOS (Traffic Prioritization) look like? Send Screenshots.

to set up your QOs, please use DSL report, it is very good for, if I got A+ on the 3, Ill get good game play if I get A or less, it is shitty.  sometime a small setting is the key.

Every single day I set my QoS with DSL report and it is better. for now this is solution work well for me. it is not like I saw on youtube gameplay but I can do good game like win some free for all or I be able to do something like 40-5 in domination, so, remember, if your team suck, you will be not able to get a really good game, because in front of you, the other players get score or killstreak and is very bad for you

It's also not always connection that is at fault.

It you play lousy enemies and go 28-3 they look like bots. You have way more time to react, don't need to rush etc. When you play really good enemies that are really fast it might look like you have a far worse connection, but it's not always the case, the enemies are simply much better. In some lobbies you get your head blown off as soon as you stick your head around the corner.

1 hour ago, Kendal said:

Hey Buddy, keep calm. 😉
Your base ping is good. The problem is, what may work for others, may not work for you. There isn't an all-in-one resolution for Everybody. Stability of your line is the key. What is your Ingame Ping? How does your PingPlotter & QOS (Traffic Prioritization) look like? Send Screenshots.

23 minutes ago, Bert said:

It's also not always connection that is at fault.

It you play lousy enemies and go 28-3 they look like bots. You have way more time to react, don't need to rush etc. When you play really good enemies that are really fast it might look like you have a far worse connection, but it's not always the case, the enemies are simply much better. In some lobbies you get your head blown off as soon as you stick your head around the corner.

Ping in-game fluctuates from 38-42-ish ms on East Coast servers, LA is like 102, Chicago is 50-60ms in-game. Netduma on East coast showing 19-20 ping in NJ for example, while BO4 network in-game stating the above 30-42ms.

Hey @DanyKTM.

DSLReports is not bad but also not 100% trustworthy. It only saturates your line for a few seconds and doesn't overload properly. If you want to properly saturate your line then: Download, stream HD videos etc. and test with PingPlotter. If you have an A+ it's good. There are many free programs and websites where your can test your line. If it works for you then it's ok but it may not work for other.

If You want to know more Read here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000075774-i-can-t-get-an-a-on-dslreports-is-anti-bufferbloat-not-working- and here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/24212-getting-an-a-but-not-an-a-on-dslreports/

11 hours ago, Ptingler81 said:

Hey so my base ping is 14-15 not bad. Something has got to be majorly wrong. It's PISSING ME OFF!!!!! I spend nearly $200/month for internet plus the equipment I've bought just to feel like every game I play I'm behind. I've done everything the admins have said to do, port fwd, 70/70 abb, traffic priority, geo-filter with servers on the East coast New Jersey and Atlanta, Chicago, Texas, and all the way across the freaking country in LA and Seattle. Still feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I truly and sincerely dont care if I die or have a bad game but I've literally spent the better part of three days (10+ hours/day, not lying) this week trying to fix this connection issue I'm having because I'm tired of seeing on this forum videos of others with better connections (great from them) stating how great the XR500 w Duma OS is. I cant be the only person here from the East Coast in the USA. It would be nice if people would share what works geographically, someone in the UK has no clue how to fix my connection, and visa versa. But if person A and person B live in the same region, chances are they connect to the same dedi's maybe have the same ISP. Get some similarities going with regions and ISPs create a thread on here of just ISP's and different settings users have found that works. For the betterment of the community.

I just want to break something right now. I feel like Fred Durst.

Post some gameplay if you can mate.

@Kendal

My pingplotter totally skips a "hop". For example if it has 10 hops, hop 1-5 I can see, skip hop 6, then I can see hops 7-10. Would this be a problem with the line? Or is that normal? Doesn't seem like it to me...

@Bert

Yes, that's right. 🧐 If things go bad, you usually blame your internet and aim although there are no problems. Sometimes you just have better opponents who may have better internet and live closer to the server. You cannot influence that. Better leave and look for a new lobby.

Do you tried PingAssist? I think you can get better Results with a Base Ping of 15. I don't know where you are placed. It would be helpful if you would send a screenshot of you QOS Page, PingPlotter or as @Sable says, a short video of your gameplay. Does the red dot (next to Traffic Prioritization) appears when you are Gaming?

2 hours ago, Kendal said:

Do you tried PingAssist? I think you can get better Results with a Base Ping of 15. I don't know where you are placed. It would be helpful if you would send a screenshot of you QOS Page, PingPlotter or as @Sable says, a short video of your gameplay. Does the red dot (next to Traffic Prioritization) appears when you are Gaming?

I'll try when I get home. At work now. Slow day. LOL..