Xbox One X & Party Chat

TODDzillaInLA

The OPs post is identical to my issue, xbox series x error when connection to xbox live party chat, although game chat works fine, i can talk and hear others. this only occurs when the netduma is connected regardless off any settings or turning off any features. however with any other router used in its place (i have more then 5 routers that i have acquired over the years, that are many years old but work fine) xbox party chat works normally.

This is despite going through the xbox network test features and getting good results for all and it reporting that my nat is open. However it does say im connected via ipv4 and recommends going to xbox.com/ipv6.

Basically that page suggests enable ipv6 if possible as many xbox features are now native ipv6

i took it a step further then that, so i have spectrum and it supports ipv6 and v4 r1 party chat broken but my spectrum router and my nighthawk works perfectly fine. i connect my r1 back and i connect my headset to my pc party chat works via xbox app but not connect directly to the console. so i tried a different set of headphones,. same thing. when i moved in the begging of 2020 i had a option for spectrum and frontier fios. i keep my spectrum account but also added fios, i have a 1 gigabyte connection dedicated to my gaming only. frontier router and party chat works but i connect my r1 and party chat stops working agin. almost a year later the r2 drops, i try that and everything works, then the xbox series x drops, everything works, then the xbox series x updated the 2nd night out party chat stopped working i was like no F'ing way. then the next day another update and party chat works aging. i decide to get our my R1 for $hits and giggles and as expected the r1 with the xbox series x before and after dumaOS party chat did not work at all

i just came to the conclousing that the r1 needs to just be put to rest, developers obesely are not trying to fix it not with all the newer duma routers out. I made this post on Posted December 17, 2019 and there has not been one update released to address this issue. i fear 1 day the same thing will happen with the R2...

good luck to everyone still using the r1 that has this issue

• Administrators

We are aware of the issue and we are looking into it. I believe it will require a firmware fix as we've not found any settings that affect it so far. I realize it is an annoying issue but we're working on it, if there is anything we need to help us we'll let you know.

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We are aware of the issue and we are looking into it. I believe it will require a firmware fix as we've not found any settings that affect it so far. I realize it is an annoying issue but we're working on it, if there is anything we need to help us we'll let you know.

Its been a year since this has been reported 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ we already know its something in the r1 code most likely firewall related. Would be good if netduma were a bit more transparent. I'd like to know what you guys are doing exactly to fix this. Is it even getting looked at?? I sincerely doubt it is and unfortunately leaves a very sour taste in alot of gamers mouths. 

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is it yes, Alex is trying to reproduce it. I don't know much at the moment as it's the holidays and so not as many people are working, it is only occurring on the R1 from what we can tell currently.

All he has to do is plug in an xbox one console and try join/create a party and invite somebody. Yes only on the r1.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to throw this on here but I'm using the XR500 and ever since Microsoft changed the party chat from Peer to Dedicated I get a "something went wrong" in my party chat and can't hear my team, this is obviously only when using Geofilter, I tried putting the Ping Assist to at least 40 but it doesn't help. Also, it seems to change on the fly so the party chat can be working but then all of a sudden it's using an American server and it'll fail (my geo is over the UK).

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Rabb said:

Just to throw this on here but I'm using the XR500 and ever since Microsoft changed the party chat from Peer to Dedicated I get a "something went wrong" in my party chat and can't hear my team, this is obviously only when using Geofilter, I tried putting the Ping Assist to at least 40 but it doesn't help. Also, it seems to change on the fly so the party chat can be working but then all of a sudden it's using an American server and it'll fail (my geo is over the UK).

You'll need to add anything that is blocked when you invite someone to a party and then it should work fine for you.

I’m also getting issues connecting to Xbox One party chat. The issues happens whether I accept or send an invite...we’ll all join the party chat however I can’t hear them and then I disconnect from the party chat with the message “something went wrong”. This happens whether it’s one or multiple friends, however I would say it is an intermittent issue as it will seemingly resolve itself without any reasonable explanation (the last few days it’s been a matter of either rebooting all our equipment or simply all leaving an existing lobby then creating a new one). We can join game lobbies together without any issues so this is purely an issue with the Xbox party chat.

7 hours ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I’m also getting issues connecting to Xbox One party chat. The issues happens whether I accept or send an invite...we’ll all join the party chat however I can’t hear them and then I disconnect from the party chat with the message “something went wrong”. This happens whether it’s one or multiple friends, however I would say it is an intermittent issue as it will seemingly resolve itself without any reasonable explanation (the last few days it’s been a matter of either rebooting all our equipment or simply all leaving an existing lobby then creating a new one). We can join game lobbies together without any issues so this is purely an issue with the Xbox party chat.

Are you able to see the server pop-up on Geo-filter? If you allow it, does it resolve the issue?

2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you able to see the server pop-up on Geo-filter? If you allow it, does it resolve the issue?

I’ve previously allowed and named all servers that pop up when I join chat or a lobby with friends but the issue still happened regardless. I’ve actually deleted all my allow/deny server list now and going back to basics, but happy to do that process again if you think it will help diagnose the issue?

Is there a definitive way to differentiate between a party chat server and friends connection? As an example, I allowed and named a Virgin server as I thought that was my friend but it didn’t appear to have any affect in lobby or chat (ie could still join lobby but still couldn’t chat).

• Administrators
1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I’ve previously allowed and named all servers that pop up when I join chat or a lobby with friends but the issue still happened regardless. I’ve actually deleted all my allow/deny server list now and going back to basics, but happy to do that process again if you think it will help diagnose the issue?

Is there a definitive way to differentiate between a party chat server and friends connection? As an example, I allowed and named a Virgin server as I thought that was my friend but it didn’t appear to have any affect in lobby or chat (ie could still join lobby but still couldn’t chat).

That should generally work so if you could do that again please that would be good. What router are you using exactly? If you invite them to the game lobby then that should generally show them on the map as opposed to a server that might appear if you start a chat. So invite to the lobby, make sure they're added, then invite to a chat, anything that appears then should be a chat server, allow that and it should work.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That should generally work so if you could do that again please that would be good. What router are you using exactly? If you invite them to the game lobby then that should generally show them on the map as opposed to a server that might appear if you start a chat. So invite to the lobby, make sure they're added, then invite to a chat, anything that appears then should be a chat server, allow that and it should work.

I'm now on BT Smarthub2 connected to Netduma R2.

I'll try adding them again as recommended and let you know if it resolves the issue.

1 hour ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I'm now on BT Smarthub2 connected to Netduma R2.

I'll try adding them again as recommended and let you know if it resolves the issue.

you are having this issue on the r2 not the r1? and on your xbox are  you in the preview program?

8 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

you are having this issue on the r2 not the r1? and on your xbox are  you in the preview program?

Yeah I'm using the R2. I know I used to be in the preview programme but pretty sure I may have unsubscribed from it. Is there a way to check?

go to the xbox insider hub to check, with the r1 in or out party chat on xbox does not work, i didnt take the chance with the r2 so i never put my series x in the program didnt feel like throwing away money since they never fixed the issue with the r1. but if your in the program and its happening on the r2 that's what the future is going to look like, anti DUMA for xbox live. hopefully the last 2 years the duma team has been looking into this and not ignoring it

4 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

go to the xbox insider hub to check, with the r1 in or out party chat on xbox does not work, i didnt take the chance with the r2 so i never put my series x in the program didnt feel like throwing away money since they never fixed the issue with the r1. but if your in the program and its happening on the r2 that's what the future is going to look like, anti DUMA for xbox live. hopefully the last 2 years the duma team has been looking into this and not ignoring it

Same with me. I will not buy R2 because they have been unable to fix the basic functionality of the Xbox voice chat on R1 for months.

Just a thought...would connection to the XBL party chat servers be affected by QoS rules? What I mean by this is the console may well be under QoS if you have congestion rules set, but does connection to XBL party chat suffer as a consequence? As an example, I have set pretty harsh QoS rules (25% down and 5% up) so my console is always fine, however all other devices in my house such as iPhone or laptop will then be very much restricted when I'm playing on Xbox...so if XBL party chat is actually considered to be "another device" and requires more bandwidth then that may explain why connection to XBL party chat either struggles or doesn't work at all. Anyways, that's just a theory/question and I'm sure its probably totally wrong.

22 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Just a thought...would connection to the XBL party chat servers be affected by QoS rules? What I mean by this is the console may well be under QoS if you have congestion rules set, but does connection to XBL party chat suffer as a consequence? As an example, I have set pretty harsh QoS rules (25% down and 5% up) so my console is always fine, however all other devices in my house such as iPhone or laptop will then be very much restricted when I'm playing on Xbox...so if XBL party chat is actually considered to be "another device" and requires more bandwidth then that may explain why connection to XBL party chat either struggles or doesn't work at all. Anyways, that's just a theory/question and I'm sure its probably totally wrong.

its a port issue with the geo filter and there cloud settings

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

I wouldn't have thought so no, especially as I don't think everyone throttles that much so wouldn't experience that

1 hour ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

its a port issue with the geo filter and there cloud settings

54 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I wouldn't have thought so no, especially as I don't think everyone throttles that much so wouldn't experience that

Ok thanks. It was just a theory, so at least we can rule that one out then.

In terms of my own experience, I haven't been able to sufficiently test or allow friends yet but the only thing that has worked is simply inviting and accepting chat invites from each other until we can hear and talk to each other. Nothing significant other than simply rinse and repeat until it works...usually takes 5-10 minutes. An actual fix for this issue would be great though if it is a port issue with the DumaOS geo filter or cloud settings.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, K0NSPIRACY said:

Ok thanks. It was just a theory, so at least we can rule that one out then.

In terms of my own experience, I haven't been able to sufficiently test or allow friends yet but the only thing that has worked is simply inviting and accepting chat invites from each other until we can hear and talk to each other. Nothing significant other than simply rinse and repeat until it works...usually takes 5-10 minutes. An actual fix for this issue would be great though if it is a port issue with the DumaOS geo filter or cloud settings.

I don't think the issue on the R1 is appearing on any other routers including the R2 currently. I think yours should just be the case of manually allowing anything that appears blocked when joining a chat.

20 hours ago, TODDzillaInLA said:

I've just checked and my Xbox One X wasn't in the programme. I did have previous Xbox One consoles in there, but I'd already removed them too. I've also deleted my insider hub account as I never used it anyway.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I don't think the issue on the R1 is appearing on any other routers including the R2 currently. I think yours should just be the case of manually allowing anything that appears blocked when joining a chat.

Ok no worries. I'll keep an eye out on the geo filter for when I join XBL chat.

I'm not convinced this is an R2 issue anyway tbh...XBL party chat has a well known history of funky issues with ppl being unable to join, talk or hear each other, and its always been a matter of creating new lobbies and inviting until it works when this issue does happen. Not exactly a technical solution but it's the only work around that seems to work, and it could easily be something else conflicting between consoles such as NAT type.