Call of Duty lagcompensation/hit detection

AndyC

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 4                  XR500 NIGHTHAWK                          PS4 PRO                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ok i have completely exhausted my fingers and phone researching this topic.  I understand what lag compensation is and the reason it is necessary. What i havent found is some true setting that will sway the call of duty imbalance in my favor.  95% of the time im on the losing end of the lag comp. i have seen many posts stating that COD "punishes" people with good connection. I tend to believe its true cause i have 1 gig down and 90 up and i seem to lose gunfights that i obviously should have won. firing first hitting all shot powerful gun and the opponent turns and fires once and i die, killcam shows that my bullets were dummy or off target which on my screen could not have missed.  Either the timestamp on his/her ps4 said i was dead so none of my info was inputted to server or the person wasnt in the location i was shooting accordint to the timestamped info sent by their ps4.  I could tolerate this if it was every once in a while like most of my friends but its 99% of games for me. Ive tried throttling connection back as far as i could like less than .5 up and .75 down and it seemed to work 40% of the time until i get in a party of 4 or 5 friends then it no longer works and almost makes it worse. i have put ps4 in dmz port forward static ip EVERYTHING i could find and nothing has seemed top work. ive moved geofilter around to try different pings nothing seems to change, im usually at 30 ping ingame. tried 50 ping 90 pings and 150 pings all about the same except the 150 ping and its worse.   Apparently some people have figured it out and just wandering if someone would be willing to share the wealth thanks in advance

• Administrators

As long as you've got a good ping that's what is most important in my opinion. Most people do throttle when they think they are experiencing it but sounds like the router is doing its job of getting you a good ping and sounds like from your other post that the Geo-Filter is working well.

4 hours ago, AndyC said:

CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS 4                  XR500 NIGHTHAWK                          PS4 PRO                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ok i have completely exhausted my fingers and phone researching this topic.  I understand what lag compensation is and the reason it is necessary. What i havent found is some true setting that will sway the call of duty imbalance in my favor.  95% of the time im on the losing end of the lag comp. i have seen many posts stating that COD "punishes" people with good connection. I tend to believe its true cause i have 1 gig down and 90 up and i seem to lose gunfights that i obviously should have won. firing first hitting all shot powerful gun and the opponent turns and fires once and i die, killcam shows that my bullets were dummy or off target which on my screen could not have missed.  Either the timestamp on his/her ps4 said i was dead so none of my info was inputted to server or the person wasnt in the location i was shooting accordint to the timestamped info sent by their ps4.  I could tolerate this if it was every once in a while like most of my friends but its 99% of games for me. Ive tried throttling connection back as far as i could like less than .5 up and .75 down and it seemed to work 40% of the time until i get in a party of 4 or 5 friends then it no longer works and almost makes it worse. i have put ps4 in dmz port forward static ip EVERYTHING i could find and nothing has seemed top work. ive moved geofilter around to try different pings nothing seems to change, im usually at 30 ping ingame. tried 50 ping 90 pings and 150 pings all about the same except the 150 ping and its worse.   Apparently some people have figured it out and just wandering if someone would be willing to share the wealth thanks in advance

This is going to sound counter productive, but honestly try this. Remove your console from the geofilter for a few games and report back to see if that helps. I just bought my 3rd  ps4 (I bought a ps4 pro for myself) and I accidentally forgot to install it on my geo (all I play is blackout) and honestly the game hasn't played better. I'm literally not going to put my ps4 on there anymore. I've been with this company since the beginning and know all of the tweaks that work and have done what you have done and literally nothing makes the game play better than simply just take the damn pa4 off of the geo. Good luck man!

OK THANKS IM GOING TO TRY THAT DO U STILL ENABLE TRAFFIC PRIORITIZATION FOR PS4. wHAT ABOUT THROTTLING CONNECTION IS THAT SOMETHING U THINK IS A VIABLE SOLUTION ALSO. IVE READ WHERE AT FIRST WHEN ONLY ONE PERSON DID THAT IT CREATED A HUGE ADVANTAGE FOR HIM BUT NOW THAT MANY PEOPLE ARE DOING IT, IT ONLY STRESSES THE GAME SERVER THAT MUCH MORE WITH ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN PINGS CREATING MORE LAGGY GAME??????

Yeah my traffic prioritization is on. Don't throttle anything. My qos sliders at 52down/60up. Thats with some hours of research on pingplotter though. I think 70/70 would be just fine though. Throttling is all placebo and may only last for like one game out like 10. Honestly I think this game is and its servers are broken and the geo just doesn't help at all.

55 minutes ago, AndyC said:

OK THANKS IM GOING TO TRY THAT DO U STILL ENABLE TRAFFIC PRIORITIZATION FOR PS4. wHAT ABOUT THROTTLING CONNECTION IS THAT SOMETHING U THINK IS A VIABLE SOLUTION ALSO. IVE READ WHERE AT FIRST WHEN ONLY ONE PERSON DID THAT IT CREATED A HUGE ADVANTAGE FOR HIM BUT NOW THAT MANY PEOPLE ARE DOING IT, IT ONLY STRESSES THE GAME SERVER THAT MUCH MORE WITH ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN PINGS CREATING MORE LAGGY GAME??????

Yeah my traffic prioritization is on. Don't throttle anything. My qos sliders at 52down/60up. Thats with some hours of research on pingplotter though. I think 70/70 would be just fine though. Throttling is all placebo and may only last for like one game out like 10. Honestly I think this game is and its servers are broken and the geo just doesn't help at all.

Well not sure. Ok first I deleted geo-filter and that seemed to help a few games but after 3-4 games I’m still having same issue. I want to stress that again if this only happened 1 out of 10 games I wouldn’t worry about it. This happens to me EVERY game. The only thing that helps me is I delete geofilter, uncheck share bandwidth,uncheck traffic prioritization, bandwidth allocation upload .36 mbps download 3-4 mbps sometimes lower, sliders set to 20-25 percent on both up and down for antibuffervloat. As I’m playing game if my shots are going through people with no hit markers or I’m getting killed with only one bullet or two(on my screen anyways) I slide the upload bufferbloat up 1-2 notches and it fixes it. Sometimes I have to adjust it 3-4 times a game. Sometimes i only have to do it 1 times other times I don’t ever have to move it. Other times I can’t get it right but usually everyone on my team is having trouble. Once I started doing this I went from no gem(competitor) to green gem(expert) in two ladder seasons I’ve never been expert before. I also am I n game chat and never hear anyone saying I’m lagging. Usually when my whole team is getting “connection beat” there is usually someone on the other team floating in air or running in place. Also we could be doing fine for 4 hard points and then can’t land a bullet, seems like other team have at least .5 sec advantage on you then it goes back right toward the end of match.  That’s my story if anyone has input please please throw it in.  Believe me when I tell u I have tried EVERYTHING and that is the only thing that works. I have 18 days 20hours on league play alone and my team sees a massive difference since I started throttling connnection. Before I did that SCUMP himself couldn’t win these gunfights. It’s obvious when u look at it. I record it through PS4 and u can see plain as day that something’s wrong. .5 to 1 second behind other team

I'm very confused as to why changing your bufferbloat settings would cause it to improve so quickly. Maybe the server is attempting to calibrate itself to your connection and doing a bad job? If moving the slider helps then maybe you should use one of those programs that lets you record mouse movements. You could set it to move the slider up and down a bit once a minute or so while you play. Dodgy workaround I know but...

Just to be clear, i'm certain that this is a problem to do with the game's lag compensation and not to do with DumaOS.

I’m on PS4 so I’m not sure about the mouse movements. I fully understand that it’s not the router causing problems. My original post was asking if people had issues like mine and what if any settings did they find to help with it. I’m beyond frustrated with this lag compensation thing being in favor of slower/higher ping connections. I’ve come to realize that a ping of around 50/60 is optimal for this game. Anything in the 80-90 area I have problems with people not being where I’m shooting. Pings in 30-40 range I’m getting one-shot by enemies. I will be frying someone that isn’t looking at me and after 6-7 bullets they turn and I die then I see bullets come out of their gun then it glitches into death screen. If u watch their view I walked in stood there,they turned and shot me before I ever fired doing very little damage to them. My friends have trouble every 6-7 games. I have problems almost every game. I pay for the best internet 1gig down, force server within 100 miles of where I am. Just don’t know what to do. Like i said before deleting geofilter, throttle connection down to .36 upload and 2-3 download is the only thing that seems to help. Now I’m only having problems when the rest of my team are having problems. U can almost see it in-game where ur character glitches for just a little bit like barely enough for u to tell whom he is the server trying to sync u back up to real-time I guess. When that happens I can’t win a gunfight for anything. I’m not claiming I am a pro but there’s no way a pro can win these gunfights. Again just in the last 3 days I’ve went from a no-gem to a green gem when I started throttling connection and moving sliders. I assume that moving the sliders has something to do with changing upload speeds ever so slightly but it seems to work so hey it is what it is. A more permanent explanation or solution would be greatly apperciated

1 hour ago, AndyC said:

I’m on PS4 so I’m not sure about the mouse movements. I fully understand that it’s not the router causing problems. My original post was asking if people had issues like mine and what if any settings did they find to help with it. I’m beyond frustrated with this lag compensation thing being in favor of slower/higher ping connections. I’ve come to realize that a ping of around 50/60 is optimal for this game. Anything in the 80-90 area I have problems with people not being where I’m shooting. Pings in 30-40 range I’m getting one-shot by enemies. I will be frying someone that isn’t looking at me and after 6-7 bullets they turn and I die then I see bullets come out of their gun then it glitches into death screen. If u watch their view I walked in stood there,they turned and shot me before I ever fired doing very little damage to them. My friends have trouble every 6-7 games. I have problems almost every game. I pay for the best internet 1gig down, force server within 100 miles of where I am. Just don’t know what to do. Like i said before deleting geofilter, throttle connection down to .36 upload and 2-3 download is the only thing that seems to help. Now I’m only having problems when the rest of my team are having problems. U can almost see it in-game where ur character glitches for just a little bit like barely enough for u to tell whom he is the server trying to sync u back up to real-time I guess. When that happens I can’t win a gunfight for anything. I’m not claiming I am a pro but there’s no way a pro can win these gunfights. Again just in the last 3 days I’ve went from a no-gem to a green gem when I started throttling connection and moving sliders. I assume that moving the sliders has something to do with changing upload speeds ever so slightly but it seems to work so hey it is what it is. A more permanent explanation or solution would be greatly apperciated

What you're actually doing by connection throttling is delaying your upload packets so much that it gives you more time to respond. You walk around a corner, see your enemy, but your system hasn't updated the server yet so you get more time to shoot. It's actually simply cheating. you're creating congestion on the upload side.

This is an issue with your internet most likely not with the game. Most providers have certain traffic shaping settings where they prioritize traffic like live videostreaming and so on. This actually hurts online gaming. Because often your UDP packets get buffered at the routers on the way to the server, so you actually have more download latency then upload latency.

This is also why these TTV and youtube streamers are often lagging on your screen while they seem to be destroying the lobby.

Nutduma Alex. Ok will u explain a little bit about what u were suggesting with programs that record mouse movements and how it would to inerpret that info. I’ve never used that before. No I’m operating my router with cpu. I have 2 monitors side by side one for  PS4 other for cpu

BERT   I’m not sure that I would consider this cheating as I’m not creating an advantage for myself I’m trying to negate the disadvantage I have. When I do this the gunfights seem fair to me and I’ve 1v1 and team played several people. People that are better than me have no trouble beating me. I’ve never heard anyon in a lobby say anything like “u just can’t kill that guy or he’s lagging” which u do hear about others all the time. I know I’m adding to the problem on the server. I have the regional line manager( I think that’s his title) of the cable company lives down the street in my neighborhood and we have became partners in testing this on his end. He has live data feeds fecording my lines and have been for 2-3 months. The lines are brand new in our neighborhood (6 mos tops) he says he can’t see anything that would be causing this. He has sent out 2 technicians and played with different modems. Now I have nighthawk modem and nighthawk router. He also sent line techs out to check box in front of house and they said the same as him. I would love some suggestions as to what else to try that was the reason I’m posting all this with as much detail as i can

Have you tried ping plotter tests, I had a similar issue a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the filters in the box where my BT line comes into the house. Changed the filters and all was well. 

11 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

I'm very confused as to why changing your bufferbloat settings would cause it to improve so quickly. Maybe the server is attempting to calibrate itself to your connection and doing a bad job? If moving the slider helps then maybe you should use one of those programs that lets you record mouse movements. You could set it to move the slider up and down a bit once a minute or so while you play. Dodgy workaround I know but...

Just to be clear, i'm certain that this is a problem to do with the game's lag compensation and not to do with DumaOS.

you mean a macro? lol

I've gotten the same probleme than you, I tried everything, sometime I got very good game, i can kill easylly the other guy and in this case, often I win.  But most of the time I am 1 sec late than the other guy,  I know I live in québec city in Canada and I am so far of the COD server.  I do camping...... I hope someone shoot a solution about that !  I watch many youtuber and if I can get the connection like him.. OMG i will enjoy that game !!!!

It's most likely not even in front of our house, or not necessarily. Traffic shaping happens deeper in their network.

Basicly you have to share your ISP's bandwidth to the server along with all the other users on your ISP's network. That is often where you start seeing issues.

I can always tell when a user is throttling, you die instantly to them and there is no way you can kill them. But when you are first around the corner they appear blind because that's when throttling works against them. Typically it's very aggressive players who employ this tactic. If it a line issue between you and the server (so ISP or backbone congestion) you typically have it with all the players in the lobby.

Actually last night I played without throttling for a while and I did fine won gunfights I should have and lost the ones that I should have. Then we got 2 more people in party (total of 5) and things went south quick. I was seeing differences of a hard second. I was getting shot once with guns like Maddox. When watching killcam he shoots and it looks like he gets kill marker before he gets hit markers. Before u see his gun fire I’m taking damage. When I’m shooting them I can see hit markers on my screen but there health isn’t moving. They eventually escape or kill me. It’s was happening to 3 other people in party but one person in our party was slaying them. He was farther away from server than I was but there were other farther than him. It makes no sense. Then the next game that person was like us and a different person was slaying while the rest of us were gettin smoked. We played a few more until we all got frustrated and disbanded party. I played later in the hour solo and did fine all this while not throttling. By the way when we were in party and doing so poorly I tried throttling after 1st game and it didn’t help so I removed the throttle and put back optimal setting for dumaOs. Anyway my internet had a major outage where our download speeds were ok but download was below 1/2 mbps. When it came back up an hour later I have never had better connection for the few games I played before going to bed. Anxious to see how things are tomight