To filter or not to filter that is the question

This is not a Strict mode issue.  This has something to do with how my XR500 is currently set up.  

So just for the Hell of it, I took out my old Netduma R1 and fed it from my XR500.  I ran the exact same tests as I did on the XR500.  Guess what?  It worked exactly as it should have.  I set my geofilter out in the ocean and started with a ping assist value of 10 and increasing 10 with every search.  It blocked every single connection (as it should) until I got to about 60ms.  So the R1 works perfect.  The XR500 has issues doing the exact same thing.  

So instead of doing testing why don't you look at my settings and results and see if anything stands out.

I purchased the XR500 so I would have a router that would expand with my network capabilities but right now it can't even do the one thing everyone wants one for.  

I've been reading all of your reports. I'm having trouble seeing a potential cause. The fact that you say your R1 can do this perfectly is really interesting because it suggests that the problem is not with your connection, not with DumaOS itself (in a broad sense) but very specifically in the XR500.

I'm going to read through the reports again and look for a pattern, a clue, anything that might lead to a solution.

And yes i'll probably do some testing because it's easier for me to fix a problem if I can recreate it.

Just for ease so I don't need to dig through, can you write down your firmware version on the XR500 and the name of the modem you're using. Also, PPPoE? WiFi or Ethernet? Having this info to hand will help during testing.

3 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

What happened to Netduma Jack?  If I remember correctly he plays destiny.  Maybe he'd be able to see something other might not.  

Well he's moved on from support to mostly doing interface design and graphical stuff. He does play Destiny yes so maybe i'll tap him on the shoulder and ask for his opinion on this one. Also Netduma Fraser will be on at some point and may have more ideas than I do.

I really do think that the first step to a solution is recreating the problem in the office so that's what i'm going to try to do.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well he's moved on from support to mostly doing interface design and graphical stuff. He does play Destiny yes so maybe i'll tap him on the shoulder and ask for his opinion on this one. Also Netduma Fraser will be on at some point and may have more ideas than I do.

I really do think that the first step to a solution is recreating the problem in the office so that's what i'm going to try to do.

Recreating it may be difficult unless I'm the only one using this setup and only ping filtering.  Works perfectly as intended on the R1 so I don't know what's going on.  It's as if my specific XR500 isf malfunctioning.  

22 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

I've been reading all of your reports. I'm having trouble seeing a potential cause. The fact that you say your R1 can do this perfectly is really interesting because it suggests that the problem is not with your connection, not with DumaOS itself (in a broad sense) but very specifically in the XR500.

I'm going to read through the reports again and look for a pattern, a clue, anything that might lead to a solution.

And yes i'll probably do some testing because it's easier for me to fix a problem if I can recreate it.

Just for ease so I don't need to dig through, can you write down your firmware version on the XR500 and the name of the modem you're using. Also, PPPoE? WiFi or Ethernet? Having this info to hand will help during testing.

V2.3.2.40-C424a (without this I was getting the infinite not connected to router loop).  Idk what PPPoE is BUT I think the answer is no.  Ethernet.  Also just so you're aware I have a mobile carrier (ATT) who supplies me with a static IP.  I'm connected to the internet via a Netgear MR1100

6 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Recreating it may be difficult unless I'm the only one using this setup and only ping filtering.  Works perfectly as intended on the R1.

Out of curiosity have you got the original R1 firmware installed or are you running dumaOS on it also. Can i take a guess and say you have the original firmware installed on it!

1 minute ago, BIG__DOG said:

Out of curiosity have you got the original R1 firmware installed or are you running dumaOS on it also. Can i take a guess and say you have the original firmware installed on it!

Good guess but no.  DumaOs on that as well.  From a Geofilter perspective, they are exactly the same.  

Just now, Dmaune said:

Good guess but no.  DumaOs on that as well.  From a Geofilter perspective, they are exactly the same.  

agh, ok, I was wondering whether or not it was something specific to the firmware but it looks like it is not. I would try to recreate it myself but I don't play destiny, 

• Administrators

Hello, so I've read through the entire topic and I think I've got a grasp on the issue you're having.

The WAN access is coming from a Roku, do you have a Roku in your network? If so then this is nothing to worry about. 

I wouldn't advise using Ping Assist exclusively for Destiny as its better for dedicated server games where there is just one host, this could be a part of your issue because Destiny uses a P2P/Dedicated server hybrid system so there are multiple points of entry for a game, I don't think Ping Assist can effectively cope with this. If it worked before then that may have been when it exclusively used P2P before it transitioned to this new system.

When you're getting a game when you shouldn't are you seeing anything on the map with solid circles around it (not dashed)? 

53 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hello, so I've read through the entire topic and I think I've got a grasp on the issue you're having.

The WAN access is coming from a Roku, do you have a Roku in your network? If so then this is nothing to worry about. 

I wouldn't advise using Ping Assist exclusively for Destiny as its better for dedicated server games where there is just one host, this could be a part of your issue because Destiny uses a P2P/Dedicated server hybrid system so there are multiple points of entry for a game, I don't think Ping Assist can effectively cope with this. If it worked before then that may have been when it exclusively used P2P before it transitioned to this new system.

When you're getting a game when you shouldn't are you seeing anything on the map with solid circles around it (not dashed)? 

I do have a Roku in the system.  As a matter of fact i have 3 but that still doesn't explain why it works perfectly on the R1.  I ran the tests on the R1 this morning and it worked like a charm.  

I'll have to check about the solid line.  I can't say i remember seeing the line being solid when I was using the XR500.  

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

I do have a Roku in the system.  As a matter of fact i have 3 but that still doesn't explain why it works perfectly on the R1.  I ran the tests on the R1 this morning and it worked like a charm.  

I'll have to check about the solid line.  I can't say i remember seeing the line being solid when I was using the XR500.  

That should be fine then, are you referring to the Geo-Filter works fine on the R1 or Roku?

Okay let us know. Could be the case that some are whitelisted which means you're getting placed on them regardless.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That should be fine then, are you referring to the Geo-Filter works fine on the R1 or Roku?

Okay let us know. Could be the case that some are whitelisted which means you're getting placed on them regardless.

Whaaa?  Geo filter on Roku?  The roku is just a video streaming device.  Nothing to do with gaming or the ps4.

• Administrators

Okay gotcha, well like I say Ping Assist isn't best for the P2P/Dedi hybrid system so that could be the issue but could also be the servers with solid circles around them if you see them, let us know if you get those!

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay gotcha, well like I say Ping Assist isn't best for the P2P/Dedi hybrid system so that could be the issue but could also be the servers with solid circles around them if you see them, let us know if you get those!

I hear ya but personally I've just had the best results using that method.

• Administrators

Thats great if you've found what works for you, it might be that the system used now means Ping Assist isn't viable for it but we need to determine if there are some servers being whitelisted also which could be causing the issue.

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thats great if you've found what works for you, it might be that the system used now means Ping Assist isn't viable for it but we need to determine if there are some servers being whitelisted also which could be causing the issue.

Ok so what exactly would u like me to do? 

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I hear ya but personally I've just had the best results using that method.

I'm having similar issues with destiny and the XR300. I get connections when I shouldn't, geo set to ocean and ping assist to zero. Had a connection the other day with a team of four, but only three showed up on the map. I'm guessing the fourth wasn't detected and that's how the team managed to connect.

Maybe if netduma is missing players, then others can piggy back their missed IP?

There aren't dedicated servers in destiny as far as I know.  

I appreciate you guys taking the time to look into this but nothing we've talked about explains why the R1 works as intended and the XR500 doesn't seem to filter at all.  

I still don't know why we're talking about Rokus lol.  

I play Destiny 2 daily and I don't do ping assist due to Destiny being unreliable(I tend to experience more lag). I use geo filtering and have no issues but I do experience lag at times due to Destiny P2P hybrid system. I am on xbox :) Forgot to mention I pretty much play PVP comp and geo filtering is a must :)

6 hours ago, HOLGATES HERE said:

I'm having similar issues with destiny and the XR300. I get connections when I shouldn't, geo set to ocean and ping assist to zero. Had a connection the other day with a team of four, but only three showed up on the map. I'm guessing the fourth wasn't detected and that's how the team managed to connect.

Maybe if netduma is missing players, then others can piggy back their missed IP?

With those settings you should never find a match.  Ever.  For some reason the XR500 and seemingly the XR300 let connections through even though they aren't within the parameters.

4 minutes ago, Bmann said:

I play Destiny 2 daily and I don't do ping assist due to Destiny being unreliable(I tend to experience more lag). I use geo filtering and have no issues but I do experience lag at times due to Destiny P2P hybrid system. I am on xbox :)

yeah what's funny is while I was doing all these ping assist tests on the XR500 I decided to try the geofilter to see if that was working.  Worked like a charm.  Ping assist not so much.  

Not saying you're suggesting this but "use geofilter instead" isn't an acceptable solution to the problem.  There has got to be some difference between the Netduma R1 and the XR500.  Ping assist works as intended on the R1 and not on the XR500.  Simple as that.