To filter or not to filter that is the question

So maybe 4 months ago I tried placing my geofilter icon out in the middle of the ocean being under the impression that when searching for matches (i play destiny 2 btw) the filter would rely solely on connection and not location.  I'm not sure if that's how it works but the results were dramatic.  Fantastic connections every time.  It was great.  

I took a break from gaming for a bit but have since came back and tried the same method.  It doesn't seem to be filtering anyone anymore and i haven't changed one setting.  

I the pic attatched are my settings and the only thing I tinker with is the ping assist.  Doesn't seem to matter what time of day or where i set it i find matches pretty quick.  Only time i don't find matches is when ping assist is set to 0.  Even at 10 i find matches.  I have a mobile isp so i know for a fact my ping hovers around 40.  How am i still finding matches?  I literally just found another match while i was typing this.  

PS.  I've used the settings in the picture with both auto ping on and off with the same result.

20190719_102412.jpg

On a different topic im getting a ton of these now all of a sudden

20190719_110701.jpg

No internet connection on my desktop now.  Ps4 is still running fine

Tons of these errors now

Honestly if i have to keep messing around with this thing just to have an internet connection it may be the worst router I've owned

Rebooted the router and that seemed to fix it for now...

I'd still like to know about my original problem though.  I really dont think this thing is filtering anything at all.

honestly I really want to know what the hell this is supposed to be filtering when I have geofilter off.  I've been led to believe it filters out bad connections but that can't possibly be the case.  If I am using mine in a "ping filter" mode why do I constantly get connected with hosts and the ping is over 100?  

Please explain this.  Just for the hell of it since this doesn't seem to filter anything inturned strict mode on, ping at 35, filter on and set myself out in the ocean.  There should be no way i find people right? Well I'm flying into the match now

20190719_233135.jpg

if you set yourself out in the ocean and it is at it's minimum radius and you have a ping assist set to 35ms it will find games within the 35ms range as you are solely relying on ping assist, so you will find lobbies if you have a low base ping also.

if yyou have changed from geo filtering to ping assist filtering you would have to remove your console from the geo filter, make the change and then re-add it. As I see ping assist is not ticked to be active you should delete the console from geo filtering and then re add it then you will not find a game.

I have strict mode on which usually kicks you in destiny.  Not the case.  I just set my ping to 10 with strict mode on (which is SUPPOSED) to guarantee no one outside your radius can join.  Well it found a match in under 20 seconds.  It's literally filtering nothing.  

I want to filter strictly by ping.  Does the number I enter in the ping assist even matter?  I could put 1 in there and it would still let anyone in.  

I'll try anything at this point.  

P.S. I deleted the console earlier but didn't flush the cloud.  

quick question if I set the ping assist too low, will it then just start letting higher pings through?  

Hmmmm. Not sure what to suggest at the moment, someone from Netduma will respond later today as it is only 6am here and I am a site mod not tech support. Hope this issue is resolved soon for you. 

Im not looking for an advantage but right now i feel like it's putting me at a disadvantage.  

The method im using worked so good when i first used it.  Sometimes i would have the ping set too low and I'd never find a match.  I'd slowly raise it until finding matches became consistent.  The point im making is i could tell it was filtering.  Now I can set the ping at 1 and still find a match in under 30 seconds. Before i turned it off it found a match in progress instantaneously.  There's no way it's filtering ANYTHING.  

have you run a pingplotter test with and without the router attached, this will show if there is an issue with your connection such as jitter. Also how is your router connected, does it go through a modem/router, a modem or ONT?

Guest Killhippie

No router can really improve your base ping, thats down to your connection the  network and how hot your ISP runs things, if you have a bad connection a good router may just highlight its issues more. Routers cant overcome the laws of physics, also at this time the XR500 is in need of an update as for some the Geo Filter stops working. Either wait out the update and hope they fixed this issue (it will happen at some point sooner rather than later but it depends on your patience quotient) or go get something else tbh. Or if you just have contention issues on your line then there is really nothing that can be done beyond what you have tried.

I never said anything about improving my base ping.  Anywhere.  You obviously didn't read the post.  I'm not using the geofilter.  My issue is the router isn't filtering by ping at all.  Doesn't matter what i enter connects me with anyone it wants. 

If the router was performing as designed it should i should never find matches with my current settings yet i find them every time

Howst bru, 

I had a similar problem you are experiencing, 

Best advice i can give you is what worked for me.......i'm currently playing BO4 on PS4 and using ping assist only to find lobbies.

Try the following, 

1. You can set the ping assist straight to 60ms as thats where mine is set and locked in for all games i play and i connect without any issue (unless my base ping has randomly spiked).

2. Do a speed test for ping purposes from your Modem (not through the XR500), now add about 30ms onto that in your ping assist settings on the XR500.

My base ping is 25ms, i've locked my XR500 ping assist at 60ms, in BO4 i will either connect to Servers which ping at 40-70ms ingame on the console.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Oh and no router  resets or cloud flushing is needed.