PPPoE Speed On the R1 DumaOS

FlexJ

Hi Duma Team.

On the R1 i having problems trying to get my full speeds on BT Broadband 80 Down and 20 up. The upload is fine around 18Mbps but on the Down i can get 55. when i Plug the XR500 in i get full speeds? 76 down and 18 up?

setup is wall - Vigor 130 - R1 or (XR500 if  i want full speeds) 

any help on getting full speeds on the R1? 

Kind regards John

Are you running dumaOS or R1OS? I used to be on BT and got full speeds on the R1OS version. Not sure if the problem is dumaOS but I would be interested to know!

19 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

Are you running dumaOS or R1OS? I used to be on BT and got full speeds on the R1OS version. Not sure if the problem is dumaOS but I would be interested to know!

Yes runnin the lastest software of duma OS on both. i read on a post years ago that its something to do with the R1 handling the PPPoE connection? is this correct?

3 minutes ago, flexingjohn said:

Yes runnin the lastest software of duma OS on both. i read on a post years ago that its something to do with the R1 handling the PPPoE connection? is this correct?

yes, it was added as some users use pppoe. I don't think the dumaOS version on the R1 handles it as good as the R1OS but do not quote me on that as that is solely my opinion regarding the pppoe and I am not speaking on behalf of Netduma. You could downgrade very easily to the original R1OS and try pppoe and I guarantee you will get your speeds you should be getting...... I did.

1 minute ago, N3CR0 said:

In fact, I even got full 220/50 speeds when I was on Virgin Cable thru the R1.

that with turbo mode on?

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

On DumaOS if you disable QoS completely do you get your full speeds?

i have attached all tests form the R1 with the original software and the Duma Os and the Xr500  

duma os.PNG

r1.PNG

xr500.PNG

Yeah it is a strange one. That's why i bought another XR500 to test my speeds, But i only use it WiFi Connected to the R1. So for now i'll use the Original software. Thanks Guys.

• Administrators

This is odd, thanks for sharing.  I'm wondering if the CPU is getting maxed out on the R1 DumaOS with PPPoE running on the router. So if you get a chance, could you run the speedtest again and look at System Information while you do it. Does CPU reach 100?

As a workaround, can you enter the PPPoE details onto your modem? Do you then get full speeds through the R1?

47 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

This is odd, thanks for sharing.  I'm wondering if the CPU is getting maxed out on the R1 DumaOS with PPPoE running on the router. So if you get a chance, could you run the speedtest again and look at System Information while you do it. Does CPU reach 100?

As a workaround, can you enter the PPPoE details onto your modem? Do you then get full speeds through the R1?

i've tried to run PPPoE on vigor 130 and i can't get internet at all (unless someone has a workaround?). i only can get internet if i but the BT credentials in the R1 or XR500. and i will test once home. and send screen shots again. 

Kind regards john.   

3 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

OK, understood. Thanks

So ive done a test on DumaOS R1 the Download is @100% CPU and the Upload is at 60% CPU

Download.PNG

upload.PNG

• Administrators

Thanks John - glad we've diagnosed the bottle neck. Unfortunately you won't be able to get faster speeds on the R1 with PPPoE enabled on the R1, it's a limitation of the hardware.

24 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Thanks John - glad we've diagnosed the bottle neck. Unfortunately you won't be able to get faster speeds on the R1 with PPPoE enabled on the R1, it's a limitation of the hardware.

I can get full speeds on the R1 but not with the DumaOs installed on it. I have sent screenshots above with the original software. 

• Administrators
6 hours ago, flexingjohn said:

I can get full speeds on the R1 but not with the DumaOs installed on it. I have sent screenshots above with the original software. 

It was my understanding that the max on original software was ~100-120mbps so I will double check with Admin if this is lower on DumaOS and get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to re-affirm. I have just got a netduma R1 with dumaOS and also use a vigor 130 router.  with BT FTTC infinity 80/20

I get max 70/20 with the ISP router (i use the BT HH5 rather than the supplied HH6), it syncs at 76/20.

I noticed a drop to around 60/18 with the NetDuma R1 using PPPoe. I came searching on here for an answer to the speed drops and think I found what I was looking for.

Question:

Which would be best?

1.Vigor 130 and Netduma PPPoe with Duma OS and accept speed limitations

2.Vigor 130 Netdumma PPPoe with Original OS and hopefully my full original speed.

3. Plug Netduma into the ISP  BTHH5, use BTHH5 as a workaround pretend modem with potential NAT issues, but get to use the Netduma with Duma OS and at the full original speed.

• Netduma Staff
17 hours ago, green1234 said:

Hi,

Just to re-affirm. I have just got a netduma R1 with dumaOS and also use a vigor 130 router.  with BT FTTC infinity 80/20

I get max 70/20 with the ISP router (i use the BT HH5 rather than the supplied HH6), it syncs at 76/20.

I noticed a drop to around 60/18 with the NetDuma R1 using PPPoe. I came searching on here for an answer to the speed drops and think I found what I was looking for.

Question:

Which would be best?

1.Vigor 130 and Netduma PPPoe with Duma OS and accept speed limitations

2.Vigor 130 Netdumma PPPoe with Original OS and hopefully my full original speed.

3. Plug Netduma into the ISP  BTHH5, use BTHH5 as a workaround pretend modem with potential NAT issues, but get to use the Netduma with Duma OS and at the full original speed.

I can only speak from my preference and knowledge - personally, I'd use the Netduma with PPPoE and accept the speed drop. I'd expect to see a drop like that using PPPoE anyway, especially on older hardware like the R1 - they're still exceptionally close to the speeds you pay for, and they're more than sufficient for gaming.

That solution seems best to me since you aren't risking NAT issues, and you get to make use of DumaOS entirely. I can't see the original firmware giving you full speeds, but even if it did give you that extra 10mbps I'd happily take DumaOS instead of it. I might be biased in that regard though!