PPPoE Speed On the R1 DumaOS

FlexJ

Just an FYI about the speed drop, I've recently discovered that the simple use of QoS kills my R1 router with speeds over 100 mbps.  I have 200 down, but found that I was being limited to 100 due to the 100% CPU issue, but if I disable QoS I get full speeds.  As a test maybe you guys should disable QoS to see if it improves your PPPoE issues any.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, fatal0Efx said:

Just an FYI about the speed drop, I've recently discovered that the simple use of QoS kills my R1 router with speeds over 100 mbps.  I have 200 down, but found that I was being limited to 100 due to the 100% CPU issue, but if I disable QoS I get full speeds.  As a test maybe you guys should disable QoS to see if it improves your PPPoE issues any.

Did you have QoS setup properly for the speeds prior to disabling completely? Were you using Anti-BB on never and Bandwidth Allocation reset/share excess on for both download and upload?

When I used R1 I could never get above 55 mbit either in PPPoE setting.

For people that connect straight to a modem or ONT with their R1 I would actually get something like a Edgerouter X and simply run them in tandem, add your credentials in the ER-X and it should work better. ER-X is only 60 bucks I believe so a cheap work around. Or simply use the ISP router for that.

The other route is going XR500 but a little warning here, with a lot of fiber companies if you want to connect straight into the ONT you need to set up VLAN tagging, and that is bugged in the XR500. So really you would need a switch or another router in front of your XR500 anyway. Some ONT's allow a setting for VLAN tagging though but often it needs setting up from the provider's side. So really I doubt you will get help with this.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you have QoS setup properly for the speeds prior to disabling completely? Were you using Anti-BB on never and Bandwidth Allocation reset/share excess on for both download and upload?

@Netduma Fraser See my original post I created that you and Alex were helping with. I don't want to hijack this thread.

It was just kind of left as a limitation of the R1, at least from Alex's pov.