xr700 and vpn

I am extremely new to vpns and when i was looking at purevpn it gave me a deal i could not pass up. so i went and made my account went into hybrid vpn signed in added my computer picked the sever closest to me set my computer to be one of the devices . I pay for 250 download speed and get 300 after setting up vpn i have ping of 500ms and download of 5mbs did i do something wrong ?

So the best I can get for this vpn changing severs and country's is ping 39ms and download speed of 5mbs when I contacted there support team they said that is normal . Does that sound normal to you guys ?

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Danny80916 said:

So the best I can get for this vpn changing severs and country's is ping 39ms and download speed of 5mbs when I contacted there support team they said that is normal . Does that sound normal to you guys ?

Sounds normal to me. As Crunk said above, VPN's strip you of the majority of your bandwidth and will always increase your ping. It's only worth using one if you need protection against DDoS attacks, or you're using it for something specific.

Hybrid VPN lets you exclude devices or applications from the VPN, so you can reach your full speeds / get a normal ping on those. Take your gaming devices off the VPN and you'll be fine :)

4 hours ago, Danny80916 said:

Aright it was just throwing me off because on there reviews people had pictures of  100mbs down with ping of 25 . I guess I am happy I got a really really good deal tho It was like 22$ for a year .

I think it is PPTP or L2TP that give you a lot higher speeds, but the caveat is that it is far less secure and is the weakest form of VPN encryption.

• Administrators

That's definitely odd, you can still access if via another device that's not going through the VPN? And if you turn the VPN off, you can access the modem again?

What's the make and model of the modem?

• Administrators

That's odd, don't really know why this could be caused, so best to turn it off when you need to get to your modem (or use another device).

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Ease said:

im having the same issue the VPN is connecting correctly just not being applied to any of the devices ive added to the devise list. any updates on fixes for this yet? hopefully beta fw will fix it   

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you can try the advice given in the previous post which is to turn off VPN when you need to get to the modem, as this was suggested. If you issue is not exactly the same, but similar, could you take a screenshot please of your VPN setup within DumaOS?

Thanks,

Steve

18 hours ago, Netduma Steve said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you can try the advice given in the previous post which is to turn off VPN when you need to get to the modem, as this was suggested. If you issue is not exactly the same, but similar, could you take a screenshot please of your VPN setup within DumaOS?

Thanks,

Steve

yes and i mean the VPN isnt being applied to the device at all.  in my case my public external IP is still visible on the console.(even with vpn selected)

6v7W6kJ.png

Thanks for the screenshots.

Perhaps you can remove the xbox one device, and try adding it again, and if this doesn't work, you can follow the guide for Hybrid VPN setup for Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Hybrid-VPN-Setup-Guide/td-p/1695383

Try these options, and let us know how you get on, thank you.

Regards,

Steve

7 hours ago, Netduma Steve said:

Thanks for the screenshots.

Perhaps you can remove the xbox one device, and try adding it again, and if this doesn't work, you can follow the guide for Hybrid VPN setup for Nighthawk Pro Gaming routers.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/Hybrid-VPN-Setup-Guide/td-p/1695383

Try these options, and let us know how you get on, thank you.

Regards,

Steve

@Netduma Steve i have done that already, its not working with any devices.  to be clear setting up vpn and adding to the list would do all traffic on said device if the device is a console right?

• Administrators

Yes with the selection you have made there it would apply to the entire device. How are you testing the IP on the device? If you put the VPN server IP in the DNS section in Internet Setup and retest the IP does it change?

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes with the selection you have made there it would apply to the entire device. How are you testing the IP on the device? If you put the VPN server IP in the DNS section in Internet Setup and retest the IP does it change?

in internet setup in the dumaos?  

i never changed any of my internet setup in dumaos let the router and my modem fill in everything, just assigned my own mac.

and i just was doing it quickly through the call of duty servers if you go to account it allows you to see your external ip and geo location. 

also hard rebooted console after every test. 

• Administrators
On 8/1/2020 at 5:54 AM, Ease said:

@Netduma Fraser i tried that and it wasn't changing.

Enable the option, block traffic if VPN disconnects and then disable the VPN - does the console lose connection completely? Just want to check it is actually working in some way.

17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Enable the option, block traffic if VPN disconnects and then disable the VPN - does the console lose connection completely? Just want to check it is actually working in some way.

it did 0 to the console.