Packet Loss

Hello all, i seem to have a problem with my Netgear nighthawk XR500. on PingPlotter no matter where i ping i get PL% (kinda high sometimes as well) on my first hop the other hops are fine tho, im not sure if this is normal or not? so my main question is why am i getting bad packet loss when i connect this router, i pinged a few games and they all seem to be the same

2019-03-22.png

There is one thing I did notice on your ping plotter.. Your getting packet loss at your router level.. What I would do is reboot your router and see if it clears.. Also what is your setup like? Are you going from modem to router or have something else in the mix? If you can explain this a bit better it will help Netduma when they chime in.. I cant quite make out your ping plotter results to say for sure but is your game play poor that you noticed this? And what do you have your sliders set at in the QoS (BufferBloat)? One other thing to make sure is when using ping plotter set your interval at 2.5 anything lower could cause this as well and give incorrect results..

Btw if your new to the forum Welcome to the forum! I just noticed this was your second post!  :)  

Zippy. 

5 hours ago, yokenchin said:

Hello all, i seem to have a problem with my Netgear nighthawk XR500. on PingPlotter no matter where i ping i get PL% (kinda high sometimes as well) on my first hop the other hops are fine tho, im not sure if this is normal or not? so my main question is why am i getting bad packet loss when i connect this router, i pinged a few games and they all seem to be the same

2019-03-22.png

Have you swapped out the Ethernet cable between your modem/router and the XR500 to rule out a faulty cable? 

• Netduma Staff

Looking at that snipped of the pingplotter test there's definitely something weird going on. Please do run the test for the full length so there's a clear picture of what's happening.

you are only getting an average of 2ms ping spikes. There is no packet loss on those 2 graphs now either. I am thinking that it is your ethernet cable from your modem to the router.  If you can swap the cable for a new 1. 

sorry for late reply, @BIG__DOGthe Ethernet was replaced i have tried cat 5 and cat 6 cables but it seems to be around the same ms with router Comcast has also came here (miami,FL) and changed out the coax cables to the modem as well and laid brand new wires from the house to the hub, @Netduma Admini was wired.

this is a game i played within my filter, most likely no more then 3 hrs away from me where netduma ping said my MS was 10-15 and i got melted ii was sweating so hard just to win this match and break =, as you can see the ping spikes are terrible, help please...

Router 1450.png

this is a game in GA not even 1500 Miles away from me.

Router 1615.png

for some reason the router put me into the same game after i blocked it which made it even worse.

Router 1632.png

ok this is bars at 100% about 3 hrs away from me and now im even more confused because i smacked these peeps hard in this game.

Router 1653 100% Keys, FL.png

Colorado and comcast I pay for 250 and get 305/11 normally running a sb8200 modem 

I just had comcast out to look at my lines on Wednesday I was super upset over constant lagging of webpages . All they told me was my signal is super high because i have a straight run the node and head they padded my signal because i was running up in the 19db downstream power. I am currently running at 9dbs they said thats the lowest they can get before my upstream power goes to high. 

• Administrators

First of all, when you're doing Ping Plotter tests please use the same target/IP address every time, it makes it more consistent. 

The spikes you're getting are not huge. In fact in your early ping plotter posts the modem and router where having the same fluctuations, basically 10-20ms. Your ping is not really consistent even through the modem so I would say there's like jitter/spikes on your line. Whether your ISP will deem this bad enough to do anything about it though is questionable. 

Then moving on to QoS, are you using Traffic Prioritization at all? As you need to in order for Anti-Bufferbloat to take affect based on your settings. Same for the plots, if nothing was being prioritized then Anti-BB won't have kicked in. 

13 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

First of all, when you're doing Ping Plotter tests please use the same target/IP address every time, it makes it more consistent. 

The spikes you're getting are not huge. In fact in your early ping plotter posts the modem and router where having the same fluctuations, basically 10-20ms. Your ping is not really consistent even through the modem so I would say there's like jitter/spikes on your line. Whether your ISP will deem this bad enough to do anything about it though is questionable. 

Then moving on to QoS, are you using Traffic Prioritization at all? As you need to in order for Anti-Bufferbloat to take affect based on your settings. Same for the plots, if nothing was being prioritized then Anti-BB won't have kicked in. 

i have used the same target for ping plotter, these are just the ones that are posted.

i know the spikes are low but they are always fluctuating and never semi stable like a normal connection, (when i go to my fathers house which has comcast business as well it is more stable then mine), yes im aware that 10-20ms is low im not looking for low ping im looking for more stable connection which  im not getting even with router.

yes i am i have messed with the setting for about 4 months now and its not doing anything at all i have just recently got time to actually try and fix this 

• Administrators

Not sure I follow, do you have screenshots for results for the same target in all the scenarios above?

It looks like the line is the issue to me, yes there are a few spikes extra on the router but they're no larger than when connected to the modem. If you use this guide: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-diagnose-modem-internet-service-provider-issues and experiment with Anti-Bufferbloat percentages you can minimise it as much as possible but I believe you'll still see these spikes as they come from the line which a router can't solve.

11 hours ago, yokenchin said:

i have used the same target for ping plotter, these are just the ones that are posted.

i know the spikes are low but they are always fluctuating and never semi stable like a normal connection, (when i go to my fathers house which has comcast business as well it is more stable then mine), yes im aware that 10-20ms is low im not looking for low ping im looking for more stable connection which  im not getting even with router.

yes i am i have messed with the setting for about 4 months now and its not doing anything at all i have just recently got time to actually try and fix this 

Hey yokenchin The thing is when you say your looking for a more stable connection you are actually looking for a low stable ping.. A stable connection will result in lower consistent ping.. Which is a must for gaming.. If you have had Comcast out to your place already and they still cant find anything then I would look at your modem.. If Comcast is running DOCSIS 3.1 then I would go with a new modem like the SB8200..  

Another thing also I want to point out as well is if you show Comcast your ping plotter results pinging a game server they likely wont give those any credit.. To test your connection using ping plotter you have to use Comcasts dns servers they give you by default.. Take one of those and run a ping plotter test and see what you get..  Does Comcast have there own dns servers?  Good luck!

Zippy.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, Zippy said:

If Comcast is running DOCSIS 3.1 then I would go with a new modem like the SB8200.. 

i have a CM1000, i was on tier 2 comcast and they have been monitoring the network for about 2 weeks now, they explained they have to roll maintenance  truck out to check and fix lines going from hub and node to mainframe because there is a lot of jitter on the lines which tier 1 technicians cannot see on there devices, so its all comcast side, but now another problem arrived the LED lights all shut off but the power light, i have restarted and rebooted the device but i cant get them back on any ideas?

5 hours ago, yokenchin said:

i have a CM1000, i was on tier 2 comcast and they have been monitoring the network for about 2 weeks now, they explained they have to roll maintenance  truck out to check and fix lines going from hub and node to mainframe because there is a lot of jitter on the lines which tier 1 technicians cannot see on there devices, so its all comcast side, but now another problem arrived the LED lights all shut off but the power light, i have restarted and rebooted the device but i cant get them back on any ideas?

On this said device.. Is this happening to your modem or router where the led lights have all shut off but the power light?

Zippy.

On 3/28/2019 at 1:12 AM, Zippy said:

On this said device.. Is this happening to your modem or router where the led lights have all shut off but the power light?

Zippy.

it was happening on the router but i fixed it didnt notice there was a LED switch in the bad nice touch now i know i can cut the lights of anytime without having to turn the pc on =D