VPN recommendations?

wrighty338

Been toying with the idea of a VPN for a bit, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations especially for gaming and on a Netduma? Its not a big deal to sign out of it for gaming i suppose so maybe more for just browsing?

Obviously all the top names pop up once googled, i am tempted to try 2 or 3 monthly trials to find the right one Express VPN, Nord and VyprVPN all sound good choices

any experience here?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have torguard but  speeds over vpn are absolutely  rubbish.

I have 350mbps download,   I am in UK, on connecting to US  server ( any server in US)  I get download  speed of only  3mbps.  Now that's big difference. 

I am going to cancel n get another.  Same question  ,  any ideas ? Anyone use any vpn for gaming  ?

• 1 month later...

I've tried ExpressVPN,  PIA, and NordVPN. Now for gaming, I can definitely say I had no problems with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. TorGuard I had but wasn't to my liking after trying it for a good three months. Plus on the good side, with both Nord and Express is no worrying about five eyes. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, TrayDay said:

I've tried ExpressVPN,  PIA, and NordVPN. Now for gaming, I can definitely say I had no problems with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. TorGuard I had but wasn't to my liking after trying it for a good three months. Plus on the good side, with both Nord and Express is no worrying about five eyes. 😎

I like ExpressVPN and NordVPN too.

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, wrighty338 said:

Been toying with the idea of a VPN for a bit, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations especially for gaming and on a Netduma? Its not a big deal to sign out of it for gaming i suppose so maybe more for just browsing?

Obviously all the top names pop up once googled, i am tempted to try 2 or 3 monthly trials to find the right one Express VPN, Nord and VyprVPN all sound good choices

any experience here?

cheers

That's probably the best thing your could do. 

We all have our preferences but they are strongly connected to our own individual performance which is based on our setup, location, location to game server, ISP, connection type etc...

Don't get caught up too much into the 'gaming' vpn hype.  These are just VPNs with good routing and server locations close to major gaming server banks. 

In the Southern US I find that pureVPN works very well with Chicago and Dallas server locations for CoD. It's cheaper than Express, Nord  and Vypr by far and does the same thing, for me, anyway. 

Just try them out, most either have free trial or 30 day no hassle money back guarantee. 

***EDIT***

Sorry, LOL just realized this was posted awhile back.  It was fresh on my index. 

• 1 month later...

Of course there's presets for PureVPN and hidemyass so I guess i'd suggest those, although I'm obviously a bit biased!

Anything with OpenVPN 2.4.3 config files available will work though.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2019 at 2:41 PM, wrighty338 said:

any experience here?

cheers

There is no VPN service that gives you a 2 or 3 months trial. I would recommend you Surfshark it offers 30 days trial. Currently, I am using it that is why I am suggesting it. The best thing I love about them is their customer support and their logging policy. It is the only provider that does not use the hard disk on their servers, but they use RAMs. you can read more about in one of the Surfshark VPN review

I've tried ExpressVPN, NordVPN, VpyrVPN, HMA, PureVPN, Hotspot Shield, IP Vanish, CyberGhost.. and maybe more, all in a period of 15 days, all of these have better routing to Servers than my ISP. I found Express VPN to be the best, I dint see any rise in ping whatsoever, also the speed were 90% of my ISP speed. 

Nord VPN was good as well, but I saw a 10-15 ms increase in ping, and the connection was unstable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, dpk_ydv said:

I've tried ExpressVPN, NordVPN, VpyrVPN, HMA, PureVPN, Hotspot Shield, IP Vanish, CyberGhost.. and maybe more, all in a period of 15 days, all of these have better routing to Servers than my ISP. I found Express VPN to be the best, I dint see any rise in ping whatsoever, also the speed were 90% of my ISP speed. 

Nord VPN was good as well, but I saw a 10-15 ms increase in ping, and the connection was unstable. 

i tried Vyper and the speeds/ping to european EA servers were terrible.  Not what i was looking for from "the fastest" vpn. I need to get on and try a couple more

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As for me, I had enough troubles with kodi, so as an expert (lol) I can recommend this free vpn for kodi. There aren't many decent free apps, but I like this one so far.

Edited by Netduma Fraser
Removed link due to potential spam.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:55 PM, mildredlopez said:

Hello, I’m looking for a VPN to install to my new MBP. I feel like every other YouTube video has an influencer recommend another VPN service and I don’t know which to trust. Obviously one that is fast and reliable are preferred. Free would be spectacular.

I have and do use HideMyAss, it’s relatively good, just trying out PureVPN, though can’t tell you if its any good, because I want to use it through the R2 or XR700 and it doesn’t seem to work through the basic VPN method, and I would really like that to work. 

So if you are just wanting to do general internet access and would prefer the snoopers not to bother you, they all seem much of a muchness to me. Hidemyass does all the things I need to it to, for every day internet security!

So should Pure VPN just work, when I talked to the support guy earlier, it didn’t feel helpful, and I have been redirected to their tier 3 support. Though before he sent me there he mentioned something about :-

Try multi ports:
UDP: 5500 - 55000
TCP: 80, 5500 - 55000

Didn’t say where, or why, my networking prowess isn’t that good, so I do understand some things, but most of the time you have to take me by the hand. can anyone tell me where he may have been going with this?

On 7/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, Netduma Alex said:

Of course there's presets for PureVPN and hidemyass so I guess i'd suggest those, although I'm obviously a bit biased!

Anything with OpenVPN 2.4.3 config files available will work though.

Does PureVPN actually work though, I can’t get it to, even the advanced option doesn’t seem to work for me, am I missing something, those support feels at PureVPN want to. take over my machine to sort out the problem (I don’t think that’s happening). The logs seem to indicate that there is no connection using the info given.

I know this is “off topic” but it is a feature within Dumaos so any help would be appreciated.

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Mrbchambers said:

Does PureVPN actually work though, I can’t get it to, even the advanced option doesn’t seem to work for me, am I missing something, those support feels at PureVPN want to. take over my machine to sort out the problem (I don’t think that’s happening). The logs seem to indicate that there is no connection using the info given.

I know this is “off topic” but it is a feature within Dumaos so any help would be appreciated.

Advanced is most likely to work (we need to update the configs on basic), could you provide your config file and the log you're getting as well as a screenshot of the VPN page after you've tried to connect please?

Hey Fraser, I will upload the info you are asking for.

Is there an easy way to capture the log file, because it continually updates, and cancels the highlight, you don’t even have time to Ctrl+c to capture it, also the log instantly disappears when you disable it?