XR500 Firmware V2.3.2.32 released

Guest Killhippie

Well it seems this current official build has been problematic for some people. I guess I will stay away from it till a new firmware comes out. Mines still on the older build from 3-5 months back. Version I think 2.3.2.22.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I haven't heard of this, are you sure the router is not rebooting or does the new log start without Initializing as one of the first things it says?

Nope not rebooting, uptime is many days. The longest I got with .32 is about 16 days before issues started. Log restarts (empty) as if cleared exactly the same time the router was first booted up a few days ago .. any other opinions? look at logs and see how far you can go back?

Guest Killhippie
On 10/26/2018 at 6:33 PM, lilstone87 said:

Well it seems this current official build has been problematic for some people. I guess I will stay away from it till a new firmware comes out. Mines still on the older build from 3-5 months back. Version I think 2.3.2.22.

That version has critical security issues, updating is wise even if buggy, otherwise you can get your router and LAN compromised really easily without any interaction on your side. Its a critical update.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060243/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-XR500-PSV-2018-0309

2 hours ago, Killhippie said:

That version has critical security issues, updating is wise even if buggy, otherwise you can get your router and LAN compromised really easily without any interaction on your side. Its a critical update.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060243/Security-Advisory-for-Pre-Authentication-Stack-Overflow-on-XR500-PSV-2018-0309

I understand. However I'm not putting a unstable build on my XR500. I have seen many of complaints with this build. I appreciate you mentioning this though.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:12 PM, Netduma Jack said:

I have to agree with Fraser and Jim - don't fall for the marketing, IPv6 has no -practical- benefit, i.e it won't improve your connection. It only benefits ISP's who are switching their IP address system to IPv6 having finally run out of numbers in the standard IPv4 format. Since Internet usage has grown so dramatically they added a new system with more numbers. That's it.

Microsoft will advertise that IPv6 improves gaming, but they're only advertising that because it's something PS4 doesn't have. In reality, Microsoft are relying on people not doing their own research. IPv6 doesn't impact NAT unless there's very specific circumstances at work. The vast majority of people aren't on an IPv6 connection, and even if they are they won't encounter any issues whatsoever if their router doesn't have a toggle for it. (Sorry if this comes across as confrontational - it's not meant to be, we're just eager to get the truth about IPv6 across to anyone who's been mislead by ISP's!)

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. The major benefit, at least for gaming with IPv6 is the fact that your ISP will provide you with a huge subnet of public IP-addresses so unless you configure IPv6 the wrong way all your clients should have their very own public IP-address avoiding the need for doing NAT.

Luckily you are able to avoid most issues with gaming and NAT on the XR450 and XR500 due to the fact at Netgear allows for selecting Open NAT filtering which means applying Full Cone NAT on the NAT-rules instead of more modern symmetric or port restricted NAT. With Full Cone NAT and UPNP you will probably get away without doing any manual port forwarding and should hopefully never run into a situation where you have multiple clients in the need for having the very same port for inbound traffic as games supporting UPNP will allow for UPNP to handle the traffic and as Full Cone NAT won't restrict the flow of incoming connections you will be good to go.

But this is far from common. Most home routers use port restricted NAT or symmetric NAT which means there is no free flow of incoming connections when the port is being handled by UPNP. So a lot of services will start having issues as they expect UPNP to behave like a port forward, meaning it allows for traffic from any external IP address to be able to access your gaming system / console using the inbound port but port restricted NAT and symmetric NAT will only allow for returning traffic from the external IP's that your client initiated traffic towards. Which is why Xbox One and Teredo/Xbox Networking in Windows 10 will give you Moderate NAT when you are behind a router running UPNP if its doing symmetric or port restricted NAT as your dynamically created NAT rules won't allow for all the incoming traffic as you will get getting traffic for other external addresses than just the ones your system/consoles is using for outbound connections and these will be dropped as that's a part of the stricter nature of port restricted and symmetric NAT.

IPv6 would have a huge benefit here as you avoid NAT altogether as long as the gaming service is fully supporting IPv6 of course.

Most people in the us will have ipv6. I get it in the middle of nowhere. It’s a must feature at this point. And if you play competitively and not just run around in tdm or dim it really matters as most people are playing on the best internet available in their area. This almost guarantees that the majority of people you play will have ipv6 in a competitive setting. Again, ipv6 functionality is a necessity at this point. You should not have any excuse for a 300 dollar, modern router that lacks ipv6 functionally, especially if it has the option for it in the settings. 

I bought this awesome router in order to have the best connection and gaming experience.  I found that it doesn't have Ping Assist option thinking it does, please add that feature as it will help me a lot since I live in Gulf countries.

21 minutes ago, wrathoftank said:

I updated to my xr500 the other day and just noticed that I have a red light on ethernet 1 now, not sure why that is.  Has anyone had this issue?

The orange light means the device connected to that port only supports 10/100Mbps.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, pollutionblues said:

The orange light means the device connected to that port only supports 10/100Mbps.

Or that you are using a Cat5 ethernet cable (or lower), which are limited to 100mbps!

I bought my xr500 in February and Netgear promised an update in March that would include the hybrid vpn and open up other vpn options.  The max speed test I could get to work on hidemyass is 10mbps and trying to game on it is hopeless.  So for almost a year now it has been sitting on my shelf waiting to become useful...... As of today it is off the shelf and back in it’s box and I’m selling it.  I am more than disappointed with both Netgear and netduma and will no longer be a customer of either, good day.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Z.Janahi said:

Do I need to do a factory reset after the update? 

You don't need to its personal preference some people recommend factory reset after every update and some people don't unless you have a fault

The update normally preserves your current settings but sometimes it may not I recommend to be on the safe side you at least check your settings are good

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Z.Janahi said:

Do I need to do a factory reset after the update? 

As Mement suggested, it's just your personal preference. It shouldn't really be necessary, but if you experience any weird issues after upgrading then it might be worth doing :)

It seems I'm unable to block the host/server shown in the pic attached for some reason? neither is DumaOS on the XR500 is able to ping it

Can anyone help please ? Thnx in advance

P.S. I'm on the XR500 with the latest firmware

Geofilter duma.jpg

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Z.Janahi said:

Tried it, didn't work on manual ping as well

Hmm, that's strange. So you can't even click on it to open a ping graph for it? This sounds like it could be a bug if you definitely have Auto-Ping disabled.

If you can ping it but you can't block it, are you 100% sure that it's the same server every single time that you're unable to block? It's common for servers to be in the exact same location (since they'll be in the same city or even in the same building - this is called a server bank). It might not be clear that you've blocked it as a result.