Internet speeds and line quality questions

TheLazySK

Is there a minimum speed you need for NetdumaOS to work against lag and ping spikes? I ran a test on DSL reports and I get D's on all three ratings. I messed with QOS on my ASUS RT-AC66u and it gets the bufferbloat up to a B. I plan on getting the Netgear XR500 next week and want to make sure it'll help before dropping the $300. My speeds are 15 down and 1.5 up. Goes down during peak hours. My ping to google is usually around 30ms. Any info before I purchase would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Great to hear you're thinking about the XR500. There is no minimum speeds needed to make use of it's features. It can absolutely handle the speeds you have and should almost certainly get you at least an A on DSLReports. 

Also agree with Ben, hard wired to a PC is best for ping plotter as wireless is not as stable.

I can tell you that my DSL speeds were 10 Mbps max (6-8 Mbps real world) with my old service, and with the ISP provided equipment I was getting consistent D's and F's on DSL reports.  After the XR500 my bufferbloat was an A or B everytime.  Playing COD WW2 was virtually impossible until the XR500 arrived in my house.  It really shines when you have limited bandwith in my opinion as the QoS and Traffic Prioritisation are most helpful in these scenarios.  I've since been able to to get a 250 Mbps d/u fiber connection and if I don't get A+ across the board something is wrong.  The DUMA OS is awesome and the support team here is the biggest reason I made the leap and spent the extra money.  You wont be disappointed if you do as well.   On a side note-  my neighbor across the street is able to access the guest network and receive 8Mbps down in his house 70 yards away on the 2.4Ghz channel.  That's insane!!      

That's great to hear. I've been playing Call of Duty since the beginning and the lag has gotten so bad for me I've almost completely stopped playing. I'm definitely going to be getting the XR500 next week. Can't wait. Our local cable company has said they may upgrade to fiber soon so that'll just make it even better if they do. Thanks for your reply.

That first hop latency doesn't seem great. Do you have any new cables you can try between wall and modem, and modem and router? That should really be <1ms. Otherwise it looks pretty stable, especially if you're on cable or DSL.

If your connection is bad thanks to poor ISP routing or due to some other issue between you and your ISP.. No router in the world is gonna fix it.

"Goes down during peak hours" HFC? (coax).. If so, That can be the problem. Not enough capacity during those peak hours.

I can tell you that my DSL speeds were 10 Mbps max (6-8 Mbps real world) with my old service, and with the ISP provided equipment I was getting consistent D's and F's on DSL reports.  After the XR500 my bufferbloat was an A or B everytime.  Playing COD WW2 was virtually impossible until the XR500 arrived in my house.  It really shines when you have limited bandwith in my opinion as the QoS and Traffic Prioritisation are most helpful in these scenarios.  I've since been able to to get a 250 Mbps d/u fiber connection and if I don't get A+ across the board something is wrong.  The DUMA OS is awesome and the support team here is the biggest reason I made the leap and spent the extra money.  You wont be disappointed if you do as well.   On a side note-  my neighbor across the street is able to access the guest network and receive 8Mbps down in his house 70 yards away on the 2.4Ghz channel.  That's insane!!      

Wow, I'm getting the opposite of what you are getting with the xr500.

• Netduma Staff

Wow, I'm getting the opposite of what you are getting with the xr500.

It sounds like you're not getting the most out of your XR500 - I'd recommend posting here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

There's plenty of Nighthawk experts there giving great advice. We really believe you can get a great experience out of your XR500, so I wish you the best of luck!

It sounds like you're not getting the most out of your XR500 - I'd recommend posting here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/bd-p/en-home-nighthawk-pro-gaming-routers

There's plenty of Nighthawk experts there giving great advice. We really believe you can get a great experience out of your XR500, so I wish you the best of luck!

That's the first thing I did and followed the steps I still did not help. Bufferbloat is horrible on this thing too it just didn't matter what setting I used. I feel is not ready for prime time and I will wait until all the bugs are worked out.

• Administrators

That's the first thing I did and followed the steps I still did not help. Bufferbloat is horrible on this thing too it just didn't matter what setting I used. I feel is not ready for prime time and I will wait until all the bugs are worked out.

I can't see your posts about this on our forum or the Netgear forum, could you link me please so I can take a look at what has been advised and come up with alternatives. DSLReports will have a false report because of the XR500's enterprise level DPI which analyses the first few packets of the test. Also bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated which is not possible when Anti-Bufferbloat is enabled because it does not allow that to happen. So really it's not a good indicator. 

I would suggest trying to saturate your connection with as many downloads as possible with QoS off and then QoS on (Anti-Bufferbloat set to 'Always' and the sliders set to 70% each) by following this guide. You will see the difference it has on your connection.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/

Good points I made a post here about my issue and I read and searched the issue that I was having at the netgear forum. Unfortunately I tried everything to make it work and for some reason it just didn't work I spent all day yesterday trying. Unfortunately it went back to the store I was so excited about it but it is what is. I will wait a few years before I purchase it again. Thanks for the help.

• Administrators

Good points I made a post here about my issue and I read and searched the issue that I was having at the netgear forum. Unfortunately I tried everything to make it work and for some reason it just didn't work I spent all day yesterday trying. Unfortunately it went back to the store I was so excited about it but it is what is. I will wait a few years before I purchase it again. Thanks for the help.

I can only see the one you made about NAT. Very sorry to hear you sent it back before seeking more help. We do hope you will purchase again in future & we're sure you'll be very impressed with how DumaOS evolves.

The jitter spikes are coming from the first hop if you look at hop 1.

What modem are you using, does it use the Intel Puma 6 chipset?

Have you tried a new Ethernet cable? Between it and the XR500, To rule out a faulty cable?

Update: Changed ISP modem to newer model. Went up on speed to 25 down and 2.5 up. Bufferbloat Rating is now an A. Thanks everyone for the information.

That first hop gave it away, great to hear its all sorted :)